Lifting for MMA competition

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
This is addressed to the guys that are training to compete someday. What's your lifting style like? Do you still lift like a bodybuilder or do you incorporate a lot of Olympic lifts into your workouts or do you train more like a a powerlifter/strongman. I'd like to fight in the next couple years but I have a long way to go. I'm about as big as I want to be (5'7" 180, but I'm still in the beginning of a 5 week bulker) and once I'm done bulking I'm thinking of changing my routine to be more focused on strength, power, and functional strength. Any advice would be welcome, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought about this.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
If you're lifting to GFH you're going to have to deviate quite a bit to get good real world usable strength. You can build a base with bodybuilding/powerlifting exercises but only a base. Once you reach a certain level of general strength you need to start performing specialized activities, which are going to vary depending on your fighting style. If you like to wrestle primarily this is going to involve a lot of mat exercises, throwing heavy bags, low lungewalking, sled dragging and big power exercises like the clean and jerk, squat and deadlift. If you're more of a striker, strength-endurance and general athletic conditioning are going to be what you focus on. Push ups (progressing to one arm pushups), lunges, squats (progressing to one legged squats), plyometric jumps and pushups, throwing various sizes of shot and a TON of core work in all three planes.