To the Guys Who Train--Hip Pain!

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Angry To the Guys Who Train--Hip Pain!

How many of you guys get pain in the hip region after training? It isn't like that good muscle pain from lifting. I feel like I'm 97 years old right now, limping around. Is this normal? A couple of guys at my academy said they experienced the same, from getting used to kicking high. Please tell me I'm not the only one. I'm a bit concerned it may be something more serious.

2. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.58%

I get it alot when I focus on my ham strings with resistance cables and then do some waaaay below 90 ass to the grass squats. And pretty much kill myself with volume. Yes I get that.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have tender hip flexors for most of the week between Muay Thai and sprints, but it is mainly aggravated by explosive front kicks. I usually have 2 flexibility days a week to help alleviate this, but I have not done this lately.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.53%

I've never had anything too terrible. Do you warm up and stretch out before doing drills?
    All I get is fatigue in my hips when warming up. We kick straight up into the air with a straight leg about 50 times a leg. Then kind of like running in place but bringing your knee up to your armpits as hard as you can like 50 times. After that my hips are pretty tired, and I stretch out.
    Do you guys do stuff like that?
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.81%

We warm up pretty extensively, running around the gym, alternating with high knees, slapping ankles, etc. We also do jumping jacks and some other exercises I don't know the names of. Sometimes we do partner stretches too. It depends on the day, but we are usually very warmed up.

I think it is from kicking high, and doing drills like catching mid leg kicks. Or maybe I'm just a *****
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.35%

Ive had it too, along with a lot of groin pain.
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.94%

My guess, it is from starting to kick and using your legs in a different manner. My suggestion is not even to do high kicks until you have developed the flexibility to score with them. Flinging your leg repeatedly when the kick is not truly useful is not doing you body any good. Work on flexibility then start slowly progressing the height of your kick.

Also, you may watch and see if you are zoning out enough on your kicks so that you can properly turn your hip over. I could see how if you are not getting the right turn over with the kick then it may be causing some pain.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.81%

You're probably right, Size. I definitely am missing something in the hips when I kick, and I kick with the quad too much. I've been working on that, and was getting it down on Fri/Sat. In the meantime, I'll just work on the low kicks.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.86%

Are you stretching alot? Hold your stretches for 1 minute each lean back when doing your quad stretches to stretch out your hip flexors more, also knee pains can be from tight quads, hamstrings and your I.T. band (fascial tissue that runs across the side of your quad.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.35%

I dont know about you guys, but sometimes I feel as if I put too much hips into the roundhouse and my lower back hurts.
    Coach says it looks fine, but it hurts so obviously somethings amiss.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bulls**t
    I dont know about you guys, but sometimes I feel as if I put too much hips into the roundhouse and my lower back hurts.
    Coach says it looks fine, but it hurts so obviously somethings amiss.
    You may just not have the core endurance to repeatedly do RH kicks. I usually start out with a mini-yoga session to loosen up my lower back and stretch my abs. I have pulled a lower ab muscle from not warming up properly and doing high kicks.
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    You're probably right, Size. I definitely am missing something in the hips when I kick, and I kick with the quad too much. I've been working on that, and was getting it down on Fri/Sat. In the meantime, I'll just work on the low kicks.
    Work on turning your hip over if that makes sense. It will generate mroe power and make the kick be faster.
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.28%

it sounds to me like what you are describing is repetitive strain injury, if have been doing martial arts for a while and you are just starting to develop it now.

Do you get pain primarily after practicing roundhouse kicks? That's the only kick where I could see anyone really being tempted to overuse the hip flexors.

I'd suggest just giving yourself time off from the things that are causing you discomfort and modifying the technique for the things which cause you pain so you can continue to use them.
  14. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.81%

I'm a total noob, Ex, so I haven't been training long at all. A little over a month. I never noticed the pain until I started going north of leg kicks. I've been stretching my hips like crazy.
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.22%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I used to get bad hip pain when I was deep squatting. Tried stretching but it only offered limited relief so I experimented with 'rotator cuff' type exercises for the hips. It helped out big time.

Get an ankle strap/loop on a low pulley, stand 90 degrees to it and do your best Captain Morgan (knee up 90 degrees) and move your foot away from the pulley so that your hip rotates. Do each side both inwards and outwards. Go light for reps or you'll stress your knee ligaments.

I'm not guarranteeing anything but it might be worth a go if you've tried everything else.
  16. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88%

Once while sparring I was backing up hoping to get my partner to follow me I could plaint and shoot into him. when I plainted my leg locked and it felt like I jamed my hip. Hurt for about a week or 2. I got some compression shorts and that helped some.:bruce1:
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

try some hip adductor and hip abductor exercises, those should help too.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.53%

To really loosen up those hips try fire hydrants. On your hands and knees raise your leg to the side with your knee bent 90degrees. raise and lower 10 times then do 10 big circles frontwards and then backwards. Then straighten your leg out to the side do 10 leg raises. Stopping just short of touching the ground. After that your hips should feel like butter. Mine always did I've got to start doing those again.
  19. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.76%
    Achievements Posting Pro

yup i get these bad ater training and during if i dont stretch. i used to have a concree schedule of stretch back when i used to train and had great flexiblility. now lol i almost 230 and getting my bigger legs up higher aint as easier as it was when i was 205 and lower bf comp lol. i usually remedy this by doin the normal leg stretchs/splits on the floor but i found that be taking 15 min and walkin up to the kicking bag( we got one that is stationary with sand) and putting eack leg on top of it and stretching gets rid of and pulls or cramps i get. works for me, although im sur ethe month training i did a year ago with weighted kicks didnt help lol, but dam my kickin strength skyrocketed

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
  2. For the guys who have run H-drol and Epi
    By Dadof2 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 09:49 AM
  3. to the ones who still watch Smallville
    By Beelzebub in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-21-2007, 04:50 PM
  4. Replies: 9