Funny video by yours truly ;)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I was visiting a commercial gym in my area because my normal hardcore boxing gym was closed, and they had heavy bags available (hard, painful to hit heavybags). I decided I wanted to record myself so I could take a look at my technique, and something very funny happened. Anyone who trains should get a kick out of this video.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny: Nice work, bro. You're looking pretty trim these days. I think I recall you being up around 300.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
My viewer critique is you kicked you KTFO that bag that maybe hard,but still supple compared to the Canvas moisture suckers that get like Concrete.

My professional Critique is shoot the jab and then cross or hook in quicker succession and drill in threes, not twos and, more importantly, don't drop your hands and arc so much when you kick, it telegraphs and exposes you. But that may not be fair, you were probably just ****ing around.
I was half ****ing around, but those are all valid criticisms. I do have a tendency to throw punches in twos, it's the Tang Soo Do background. As for the roundhouse kick, I used to chamber the knee more but I've been arcing more lately because the power has been a lot better - If it doesn't work out I can switch back pretty easily. As for the hands, that seems to happen when I'm trying to really throw my weight into my kicks, when I'm doing shadow boxing it's a non issue... I need to focus on that when I'm doing bag work obviously :) Thank you for the feedback.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I don't take it personally man :) I'm pretty realistic about where I am now and how much work I need to put in to be able to go where I want to go with this. I've budgeted myself 2-3 years of hard training, drilling and sparring and at that point I'm going to make a run for whatever I can do. I'm always looking to improve in any way possible, so hard criticism isn't a big deal - if someone sees something and calls me out on it that's fine, it's useful.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How much are you weighing in the vid. Looking like 250 or so, I thought you were a fatter 290. Nice reaction to the bag falling!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Nice to see you're still around, Ex. Good shot, good reaction.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
How much are you weighing in the vid. Looking like 250 or so, I thought you were a fatter 290. Nice reaction to the bag falling!
Yeah, about 246ish at last check. I cut down to 236 now I'm working my way back up :)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'm still powerlifting, I just have changed my primary focus since I no longer live in the same area and no longer have access to multiple elite totalling training partners. When I can get together with some strong guys again I will certainly pick it back up - it's just hard to do board work, shirt work, suited work and what not in a ****ty commercial gym with nobody competent to spot you.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, about 246ish at last check. I cut down to 236 now I'm working my way back up :)
What weight are you going to fight at? When do you plan on competing? I guess you have a couple years to decide, good luck.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
What weight are you going to fight at? When do you plan on competing? I guess you have a couple years to decide, good luck.
Heavyweight for sure. I'm going to stay around 240-250 because I'm going to have too many problems with gas if I go any heavier (also, I want to compete in the 242lb weight class in powerlifting).

I'm going to be moving to LA to finish my degree (that's going to take about 2 years) and while I'm down there I'm going to try and get in with Bas Rutten at the Legends of MMA gym. As for when I plan to compete, if I'm ready when I graduate I'll do it then, otherwise I can probably push it back another year or so till after I get my masters. At that point I'm going to do whatever I can ready or not.

Edit: just to make it clear, I'm trying to avoid being one of those guys who starts competing too early and ends up with a 5-4 record or some such. I want to go out there and be dominant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I knew you would be a HW, I just wondered if you'd try to max out the division at 265, or come in at 235 and try to be more mobile. 240-250 seems about right. If you were to cut to 205 you'd probably feel like Adrian Brody. Good luck with everything and keep us posted on your progress.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Tang Soo Do was the first TMA I practiced and was it ever worthless. I loved the worthless techniques and the horse straddled stance.

Legends of MMA gym is too expensive for my blood at $300/month. Not sure how often Bas wil lteach there either. He resides in Westlake Village and will likely do provates but not much general instruction. He has another gym Elite MMA where he would instruct some general classes but that's also a bit of a rarity now.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Tang Soo Do was the first TMA I practiced and was it ever worthless. I loved the worthless techniques and the horse straddled stance.

Legends of MMA gym is too expensive for my blood at $300/month. Not sure how often Bas wil lteach there either. He resides in Westlake Village and will likely do provates but not much general instruction. He has another gym Elite MMA where he would instruct some general classes but that's also a bit of a rarity now.
Yeah, the Tang Soo Do I started with super competitive and was centered around point sparring mostly so that's what I cut my teeth on. It wasn't bad as far as TMA schools go but it certainly didn't teach directly applicable combat skills.

As for legends of mma, I agree with you about the pricing and rutten isn't there often. I'm going to go in on the gym only membership, I'm hoping that I'll be able to display a superior work ethic and athleticism in addition to my pre-existing skills so that I'll get "picked up". If it turns out they're only in it for the green, I'll just go somewhere else - there's no shortage of good trainers in LA that are willing to help someone with a lot of heart and talent.

size

Awards
  • Established
Exhilio....it you do not own it, I would suggest getting Bas's MMA workout dvd/cds. They are excellent training tools and worth the cost.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Exhilio....it you do not own it, I would suggest getting Bas's MMA workout dvd/cds. They are excellent training tools and worth the cost.
Thank you for the heads up bro :) I do have a lot of Bas' stuff actually, I think his MMA instructional material is about the best out there.