TUF4: Anyone watching?

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
So is anyone watching this season's TUF4? I watched last week and had to chuckle to myself after Shonie schooled that other dude. I actually thought the other guy was a shoe in to win but I guess Shonie proved me wrong. Haha...

Anyway, I don't really care much for this season's layout. It seems like they just grabbed a bunch of fighter's and are throwing them at each other. Doesn't seem like there's much connection with the fighter's and the audience. I didn't see much of either GSP or Couture in the first episode. I think having no-name, up and coming fighters being trained by successful UFC fighters is much better to watch. Seeing guys develop and improve each week is what's interesting.

Well, who knows there was only 1 episode so far and I'll be looking forward to this Thursday's episode. I hope it gets better.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have picked Cote to be in the finals anyway. His only fight in the UFC was against Tito and it went to decision; not exactly the worst loss to have on your record.

Also, I think they should have had Salaverry on TUF4 because he is an awesome fighter that had 1 bad fight. His subs on Riggs and Fryklund were beautiful.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I guess the format change is for better fights and less interpersonal drama. Unfortunately, the bigmouths at Sherdog already told the world who wins.

This format or the old one, still a better show than "The Contender". Sergio Mora, what a fraud.
Why do you call Mora a fraud? I don't following boxing but watched the contender. Has he gotten owned since the show?

They've got a few interesting fighters that I wanted to see more of like Cote and Serra. I want to give it more time before I offically judge TUF but I would like to see of Randy and GSP.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ah, you don't like the Latin Snake? The way The Contender chops the fights up is utterly ridiculous. Anyways I'm looking forward to this season of TUF. It'll get better, the fact that all the fights will be at a much higher level then the previous season's has me intrigued. I think Shonie/No Love will be one of the worst fights all season.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Back to TUF4

I miss the old style. The behind the scenes stuff at the house were funny and entertaining. Also it was interistiing to to the the coaches and how they are away from the ring. I became a Tito fan after this last show.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yep sure knows how to pour it on. Anyone else surprised that it went to a thrid round? Despite the blood I thought DeWees decisively won the first two rounds...

size

Awards
  • Established
Yep sure knows how to pour it on. Anyone else surprised that it went to a thrid round? Despite the blood I thought DeWees decisively won the first two rounds...
I was surprised as well. I thought DeWees won all 3 rounds, I can only guess that the judges gave Ray the 2 round b/c they saw alot of blood coming from Dewees

The fights this season have been much better than in the past seasons. While I do not know about the rest of the show, as I only see the fights, it has been a big improvement.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
"Charles McCarthyyyyyy it is not you" was classic. Shonie's a character, and Serra is a funny SOB. I think this will be the best season by far.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peter Manfredo, Jr. was flatout robbed in the rematch...
I have watched that fight multiple times and I walk away from the tv in disbelief everytime.

I can only guess that the judges gave Ray the 2 round b/c they saw alot of blood coming from Dewees
That has to be it b/c Dewees dominanted minus an elbow to the crown of the head. I loved how he covered his cut with one hand and used the other to ground and pound while on top of Giddeon.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was Dwees bleeding into Ray's eyes?, looked like it.
He was definitely bleeding right into Ray's face/eyes/mouth. He took a solid shot more than once while trying to dodge that steady flow of blood. I understand that the cut wasn't in a bad place, but that was a lot of blood. I thought it was going to be called as soon as the cut was opened up.

STeGoR

Awards
He was definitely bleeding right into Ray's face/eyes/mouth. He took a solid shot more than once while trying to dodge that steady flow of blood. I understand that the cut wasn't in a bad place, but that was a lot of blood. I thought it was going to be called as soon as the cut was opened up.
That cut was nasty! I was really impressed with his ability to remain calm, while spplying pressure to the cut and still managing to give some nice forearms to the face.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I did 2. The only reason that went to a 3rd round was the blood. DeWees lost out on a couple of good arm bars for submission because I don't think he could see that Ray was pushing his arm up by itself which is a no no when you are mounted. And for Ray to call it a wicked elbow in the post fight interview. It was a lucky elbow. But that's fighting. Either way DeWees did a hell of a job. Even with his one hand trying to stop the blood while fighting. Shows he has a big warriors heart.

Not to take anything away from the other guy. He does look like one tuff SOB and had some good kicks.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That was a great fight, but damn that blood was nasty. It looked like someone was pouring blood from a pitcher :sick:

If I were Gideon I would have tapped just to get that bastard to stop bleeding on me.

This makes me think, are these guys tested for communicable diseases before fighting? Same applied to Bisping vs. Rothermael and Stevenson vs. Edwards.

D-termine

D-termine

Awards
That fight was disgusting and I have a sick affection for blood. Dewees couldnt handle the sight of all that blood. Not to knock the guy, but his game went from great to barely moving after that cut. He either gassed, or that blood scared the **** out of him.

As for Gideon, come on, do some cardio. The last 2 rounds were weaksauce. If you open a guy up like that, finish it off

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I disagree, I thought he handled the bleeding very well. I mean that was probably 2 pints of blood.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
He did handle it well. He never lost his composure.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like I said earlier, I think he handled the blood great. He had enough composure/skill to cover the cut with one hand and still pound Ray with the other. If anybody didn't handle it well it was Ray. He was squirming to get out of the way of the blood and took some solid shots because of it...not that I blame him though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe Jeremy Jackson did what he did in the situation he was in. Not trying to be a ****, but it's easy to understand why he is sleeping in the trunk of his car. He's a good guy hopefully he'll get his sh*t together. I've had friends like him that do unbelievably stupid sh*t over girls, and I honestly can not fathom what is going through there head. Scott Smith's RNC defense is REALLY bad!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that was stupid. At least Dana didn't give another "I'm a badass" speech. I was hoping Smith would take it since he kinda got screwed vs. Terrell (although they edited on unleashed), but he looked bad.

What's the story with Serra's right bicep? It looks like part of it was removed or something.

I really want to see Burnett. He looks beat up and worn down by life now, but I enjoyed his fights from the old days.

That's twice now that they've mentioned Rampage in the UFC. I've gotta think that Dana's trying to get him....

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's twice now that they've mentioned Rampage in the UFC. I've gotta think that Dana's trying to get him....
Yeah, I noticed that too. That would be great to see Quinton in UFC. Too bad for Jeremy Jackson. That chick better marry his ass...or least do him a few "favors" for the next few years!

will175

will175

Awards
I think TUF4 is okay, I also would like to see more of the coaches with the fighters. They dont seem to motivated in there training. I think Sera is a very very good corner man, its easy as a fighter to understand him and he stays calm so in sence it would help the fighter to stay relaxed and focused.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think TUF4 is okay, I also would like to see more of the coaches with the fighters. They dont seem to motivated in there training. I think Sera is a very very good corner man, its easy as a fighter to understand him and he stays calm so in sence it would help the fighter to stay relaxed and focused.
Yeah Sera gives good advice. St pierre dont say sh1t he's just there for the $ and exposure IMO. I dont think TUF4 is bad, I try to catch an episode whenever i can. Man Mikey Burnett was such an animal before but he was real dissappointing in his fight he just doesnt have the fire anymore. I think he did to much drugs thats why he always does that funky thing with his eyes.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Burnett's eye thing is from drugs, it looks like the same condition a student of mine had last year. I can't think of the name, but the eye flutters back and forth faster than normal (all eyes do that to some extent).

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh, i didnt know that. looked like a twitch from using uppers to much. Wasnt he a beast tho' back in the day? He was in great shape too.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he was vicious in the highlight they showed before the fight, especially vs that wrestler who was supposed to whoop him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, doubtful that drugs did that to him. Burnett looks like he got his ass kicked 24/7/365. Good guy, I was sad to see him go. Anyone have any predictions yet? I'm thinking Lytle, and Lutter.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i havent watch enough to make those predictions quite yet.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
St pierre dont say sh1t he's just there for the $ and exposure IMO.
I dont think that's a fair assessment. Couture and GSP are there as coaches only. I would bet that 99% of footage with them is on the cutting room floor.

In the first three TUF's there was almost nothing in the way of coaching footage shown. It was the actual fights and all the drama stuff; TUF 4 is no different. They probably don't want to be providing free MMA tips or be liable for injury by airing coaching footage.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, doubtful that drugs did that to him. Burnett looks like he got his ass kicked 24/7/365. Good guy, I was sad to see him go. Anyone have any predictions yet? I'm thinking Lytle, and Lutter.
I came across one of the spoilers by accident. I'll keep my trap shut in case it's accurate.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
oh, i didnt know that. looked like a twitch from using uppers to much. Wasnt he a beast tho' back in the day? He was in great shape too.
He's like all the Lion's Den fighters, they were really good back then, and everyone else progressed and they didn't progress much. He's still as much of a beast, just Din Thomas is waaaay better then anyone he was fighting back in 97 or whatever.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
St pierre dont say sh1t he's just there for the $ and exposure IMO.
I will have to politely disagree about GSP being there for the exposure/$. I remember watching his first big PPV against Karo and he has done nothing but make a name for himself since then...that was about three years ago. I doubt there are many MMA fans that don't already know who he is. I'm not knocking you bro, that's just my opinion.

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
LOL...I have to agree about Burnett. Nice guy but damn he has a mean eye twitch. :trout:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL...I have to agree about Burnett. Nice guy but damn he has a mean eye twitch. :trout:
Yeah, I was pulling for him, but he was just out matched. What do you guys think about this year in comparison to the past two years? I was against the concept at first, but I have been surprised with how much I have liked this season. Shonie Carter cracks me up and I love it that some of the guys "get" his character and what he is doing IE Matt Serra.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will have to politely disagree about GSP being there for the exposure/$. I remember watching his first big PPV against Karo and he has done nothing but make a name for himself since then...that was about three years ago. I doubt there are many MMA fans that don't already know who he is. I'm not knocking you bro, that's just my opinion.
yeah well ill agree. its probably like someone else said, its all cut out of the show

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah well ill agree. its probably like someone else said, its all cut out of the show
I don't doubt that. And the fact that English isn't his first language can't help any.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I was pulling for Burnett, but you could tell that he wasn't going to win. He's missed too much time and may not have the fire he used to have as one of you said. It's weird that he went home too. The other guys who lost have stayed around to train.

He should have probably won the title against Millitech back in the day. All Millitech did was tie him up and try to neutralize him causing it to be terribly boring.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was pulling for Burnett, but you could tell that he wasn't going to win. He's missed too much time and may not have the fire he used to have as one of you said. It's weird that he went home too. The other guys who lost have stayed around to train.

He should have probably won the title against Millitech back in the day. All Millitech did was tie him up and try to neutralize him causing it to be terribly boring.
He wasnt in nearly as good of shape as he was before. Could be age or just lack of training.

So...Matt Serra's fighting this week? Cant remember when TUF plays, anyone?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So...Matt Serra's fighting this week? Cant remember when TUF plays, anyone?
It first airs Thursdays at 10pm and then replays on Saturday nights (I believe at 10pm as well).

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks, im kinda lazy to look, thats what i thought anyway.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This thread has kind of died...is anybody still watching TUF4?

I thought Serra was going to get knocked out last night, but he recovered pretty quickly...and that stuff with Franklin was funny...I don't think he meant his advice quite the way that Serra took it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that was weird advice. Maybe they edited to make Franklin look worse. I'm surprised they made their posterboy look like an ass, though. The knee Serra took on the takedown looked pretty hard. I thought he might have been out too, but kept going like a champ and it was all over on the ground.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup, by GNP. Spratt got in a few good shots, but once it went to the ground Spratt was done for... Serra just teed off while he covered up on face down. It was not pretty, but it was a win.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Serra is one funny motherf*cker. The way he handled that advice had me laughing out loud. Franklin really looked like a douchebag on the show, but that really means little. I love this show, best season IMO.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Serra is one funny motherf*cker. The way he handled that advice had me laughing out loud. Franklin really looked like a douchebag on the show, but that really means little. I love this show, best season IMO.
I was adamantly agains the preface of this season, but I decided to watch it anyways...I will have to agree that it is the best one yet.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
No doubt about it I wasn’t sure how this season would be but I am really enjoying it. I thought Franklin was funny as hell. I mean dropping to a knee so he can’t kick you. That’s a good one.

Also he could have felt a little weird around a bunch of guys some of whom he knows giving advise

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No doubt about it I wasn’t sure how this season would be but I am really enjoying it. I thought Franklin was funny as hell. I mean dropping to a knee so he can’t kick you. That’s a good one.

Also he could have felt a little weird around a bunch of guys some of whom he knows giving advise
...what kind of impact will UFC 64 have on the fighters?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen enough of Lutter to make a strong assertion, but many people think that Linland could take out Silva and Lutter seems to have a similar style to Linland. What do you guys think about Lutter's chances against Silva if he wins the TUF finale?

Edit: Looks like Bisping's off the TUF Finale Card. UFC® : Ultimate Fighting Championship®
It's floating around the mma forums too that there was a visa issue or something.