Dana says Silva-Liddell is off....F#$%

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Dana apparently said the Silva-Liddell fight is off after the UFN. It's at
the end of this article.

MMANEWS.COM

I feel like I just got blue balled. So much hype then nothing.

Maybe Pride just wanted to get Silva in the UFC ring wearing their shirt to some publicity?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is not the first time this has happened; Sakuraba and Big Nog where supposed to fight in the UFC a few years back. PRIDE probably did it for publicity for the October show in Vegas where Wanderlei is, somehow, going to fight. How Wandy is going to fight about six weeks after the GP and at the New Years Eve show I cannot fathom.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
WOW....that sauce is definetely weak.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
It's just as well... Liddell woulda beat him anyway.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's just as well... Liddell woulda beat him anyway.
Chuck has a punchers chance against Wanderlei. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen Chuck's fights against aggressive strikers (e.g. Rampage and Overeem).

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Chuck has a punchers chance against Wanderlei. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not seen Chuck's fights against aggressive strikers (e.g. Rampage and Overeem).
Those fights were a long time ago... Chucks game against grapplers has changed alot. Chuck has avenged all but one of his losses and has beaten the best grapplers in the UFC. Silva's fighting style lends well to Chucks as he's a slow starter and isn't very aggressive. I see Chuck just picking him apart...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those fights were a long time ago... Chucks game against grapplers has changed alot. Chuck has avenged all but one of his losses and has beaten the best grapplers in the UFC. Silva's fighting style lends well to Chucks as he's a slow starter and isn't very aggressive. I see Chuck just picking him apart...
Are we talking about the same person? Wanderlei Silva aka the Axe-Murderer is the most aggressive fighter in the Light Heavyweight/Middleweight division. He is not a grappler, although he has a black belt in BJJ, he is known for his Muay Thai. If anything, you only proved my point that Chuck has only fought grapplers the last 3 years; he hasn't faced a real striker since Vitor at UFC 37.5.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I've only seen about 4 or 5 Silva fights and i agree that he has a real hard head, but he doesn't come real hard... he likes to lay back and doesn't press the pace real hard. I think this has been his downfall in a few fights... he could have won some if he just pushed harder. I think that chuck will wait him out until he comes in... I don't think Silva has fought a strike like Liddell.

Don't get me wrong, i like Silva and think he had a good chance of winning if he can push the pace a little and wear out chuck in the early rounds. Chuck has a tendency (like most strikers) to peter out a little when the fight goes the distance. I think if Silva can push real hard in the third round, it's his fight.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I'll try to download the Silva/Jackson and Henderson fights... but from what i've seem of Silva so far, he's fought the same game in all his fights (that i've seen so far).

As far as his only loss going to Hunt... i disagree as i saw him lose to Arona. I also think that his loss to Hunt was a good decision but to his credit, Hunt outweighed him by 40-50lbs.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He lost to Arona the first time. Arona is a rather unique individual, very strong and BJJ, but he still could'nt sub Silva.Liddell's not that powerful to tie Silva up with the leverage of BJJ in his wrestling. Henderson is a world class wrestler, skills without the HW power being a middleweight, Rampage is another wrestler who's massively powerful without the BJJ. Henderson and Page were flatout dominated by Silva.

Hunt did win, I thought it was an unfair matchup to put Silva against an impossible to KO Heavyweight K-1 man, the same could be said of matching with Mirko, but Silva's boxing is improved, his defense is more technically adept than it used to be from recent pro boxing coaching. Heavies are all that's left, he's gone through everyone of equal size so they put him the OWGP.

Silva's traded with Mirko, Hunt,Fujita, Rampage and Henderson, those are some hard hitters besides some cans he went right through.

Silva goes balls to the wall when he does'nt respect an opponent's striking, he's more approriately careful when he does, and when he does comes, he's a mean no stop mofo round after round.

Chuck has a puncher's chance if he can catch him flush, otherwise I can see Silva putting a brutal Rampage style KO on Liddell.

Agreed.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He lost to Arona the first time. Arona is a rather unique individual, very strong and BJJ, but he still could'nt sub Silva.Liddell's not that powerful to tie Silva up with the leverage of BJJ in his wrestling. Henderson is a world class wrestler, skills without the HW power being a middleweight, Rampage is another wrestler who's massively powerful without the BJJ. Henderson and Page were flatout dominated by Silva.

Hunt did win, I thought it was an unfair matchup to put Silva against an impossible to KO Heavyweight K-1 man, the same could be said of matching with Mirko, but Silva's boxing is improved, his defense is more technically adept than it used to be from recent pro boxing coaching. Heavies are all that's left, he's gone through everyone of equal size so they put him the OWGP.

Silva's traded with Mirko, Hunt,Fujita, Rampage and Henderson, those are some hard hitters besides some cans he went right through.

Silva goes balls to the wall when he does'nt respect an opponent's striking, he's more approriately careful when he does, and when he does comes, he's a mean no stop mofo round after round.

Chuck has a puncher's chance if he can catch him flush, otherwise I can see Silva putting a brutal Rampage style KO on Liddell.

Silva's amazing and I noticed the changes in his strking vs. Fujita too. If he wasn't ultra aggressive, he would never have TKOed Fujita. You give Fujita a second, and he can recover from anything. He took the Hunt fight on a few days notice (he was supposed to fight Saku again......Pride must have had it out for Saku seriously). He could have focused more on his bjj and ground attack against Hunt given more time.

The Crocop fight might give us some indication of how the Silva-Liddell fight would go down since CC and Chuck are both counter strikers with good takedown defense. Of course, CC uses more straight punches and of course the LHK whereas Chuck has more of the looping punches.

There are still people for Silva to fight at MW, though, like Rogerio, Overeem, and although not at the top of the heap anymore, I'd love to see him fight Igor.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll try to download the Silva/Jackson and Henderson fights... but from what i've seem of Silva so far, he's fought the same game in all his fights (that i've seen so far).

As far as his only loss going to Hunt... i disagree as i saw him lose to Arona. I also think that his loss to Hunt was a good decision but to his credit, Hunt outweighed him by 40-50lbs.
If you haven't seen the Silva/Rampage fight, then you have not seen how brutal and vicious Wandy is. Outside of the Vitor loss, the only time Wandy has really "lost" was against LnP wrestlers that could not finish him.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Silva does'nt use the same strategy in each fight, he's going to be more cautious against a HW striker like Mirko, Fujita and Hunt and a pure grappler like Arona used a duck under Silva's punches and take him to the ground strategy to frustrate him, with Liddell he would fight more like he did with Rampage and Henderson, he dominated those two badasses who were in his weight class.

Wanderlei is an adaptive fighter who's only losses are to Hunt, I would have called that draw, and two grapplers who had/have a groundgame that's, IMO, much better than Liddell could bring. Ortiz could'nt beat him again, and Silva has Arona figured out.

IMO, Liddell does'nt haven't anything better than Silva has seen before and beaten.
:goodpost:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
PRIDEFC Official Website

Here's an interview with Sakaikabara. Not that it will happen, but he does say that Crocop was willing to replace Wandy for the November fight with Chuck if Silva couldn't get medical clearance. That would be interesting.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love to watch Chuck fight, but him vs Mirko is not a fair fight and I am not talking about the weight difference. Mirko is the kind of striker that Chuck has never seen before. Crocop's style is very technical and he would weed through Chuck's punching and set up a LHK and KO Liddell. It would be a good fight for about 5 minutes though.

Last edited:
jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree. It could actually be a little slow, though, with counterstriker vs. counterstriker.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Crocop is 220 and Chuck walks around that so weight would not be an issue. Chuck swings wide like Wand does and you know what Crocop did to Wand. Crocop has a devastating straight left that doesn't compliment one who throws looping punches. Crocop would destroy chuck and I doubt he UFC would let that happen.

Wand is a good match-up though for chuck as styles are fairly similar. After the Crocop fight though it is evident Silva can take quite a bit of punishment.

hardbody231981

Awards
This fight was never supposed to happen, it was Pride's bull**** way of getting free publicity for their 1st U.S. show in October. Do the math, how would they fight in november when chuck just defended his title august 26 and wandy just fought crocop a few weeks back, they normally give at least six months between title defenses(Sylvia vs. Arlovski is an exception).