Long Awaited Hughes vs St.Pierre

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
This one is long overdue. Saturday 9/23/06 in Aneheim CA.

I really think St. Pierre is gonna nail it this time around.

Hopefully George has worked on his counters for avoiding takedowns. I think this will be the key to beating Hughes.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
He has worked very hard on his ground game. He will win.
cc

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
He has worked very hard on his ground game. He will win.
cc
Right on. I really like his stand up and I hope he knocks him out but a submission or ground 'n pound will do also. Either way.... I wanna see Hughes go down HARD.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't have a favorite but Hughes weaknesses in the past have been his submission ie hallman&Penn so GSP best chance imo is to sub him

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think this fight may go down a lot like GSP/Trigg, only not that dominant. GSP by ref stoppage RD 3.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hughes by KO slam......alright, probably not. I see it going to decision and I'm pulling for Hughes.

SJR87

Awards
I'm huge fan of hughes, but if anyone deserves the title its definately GSP. The humility and fighting prowess of GSP is just amazing. I hope he wins, honestly.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
In a close fight like this my nod goes for the one with the belt. Hughes by split d.

size

Awards
  • Established
I do not care who wins. All I want is an exciting fight with both fighters displaying the excellent level of skill possessed by both.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The UFC REALLY needs to start mareting the WW division more heavily. They have the best WWs in the world by far, but they take a back seat to other divisions. Between Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, and Diego, there are many great fights waiting to happen.

dagecko

dagecko

Awards
  • Established
I'm a Hughes fan but I'm kinda pullin for "Rush" in this one. I hope it's a great fight either way.

maxer

Awards
I love to see Rush take this one and then have a Hughes Penn rematch!

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
If anyone deserves to win this fight it's GSP but i'm not convinced he can pull it off... In their last fight GSP had Hughes in a tight rear naked choke and couldn't finish Hughes off... I have a feeling that it will end like the first time.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
This could go either way, but I have to admit I'm pulling for GSP. He is one of the best fighters to watch in all of MMA. Great attitude, too...although the same can be said for Hughes, from what I've seen/heard. They actually seem to be friends. I saw them on some DVD extras chatting like pals about how GSP knew he'd school Trigg after watching Trigg vs Hughes.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I think Hughes is one of the more decent people out of the ring that fight. After seeing his web site I really became more of a fan. I already like GSP but I think Hughes is going to pull it off. He's got that country boy hard head.

And I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sikdogg's avitar to.

will175

will175

Awards
The UFC REALLY needs to start mareting the WW division more heavily. They have the best WWs in the world by far, but they take a back seat to other divisions. Between Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, and Diego, there are many great fights waiting to happen.
I agree..I cant wait till B.J. Penn comes back, if he does come back close to 100% I think he will dominate again. He is an all around nice guy with mad skills. Between Hughes and GSP, I like both fighters, but how fast GSP has been progressing in MMA I think he has what it takes to beat Matt. Either way it will be a good fight. Hopefully better than the last UFC...

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
After seeing Penn's last few fights, i don't think he's in the same league as GSP and Hughes... he's nowhere near the fighter he was when he beat Hughes.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, GSP won't be fighting in September. The groin injury will keep him out.
cc

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After seeing Penn's last few fights, i don't think he's in the same league as GSP and Hughes... he's nowhere near the fighter he was when he beat Hughes.
You act as though Penn has been dominated since then; yes he has "lost" 2 fights but one was controversial and the other was against an opponent nearly 30 pounds heavier. I have watched the Penn-GSP fight several times and I still can't call a wineer between the two.
BJ has the same problem as Vitor; when they are on, they can beat anyone, but they are not always into the fight.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sucks GSP's out, but with Penn as a replacement I can't complain. I think Penn will win, but I thought Hughes was going to win the first fight, so I'll probably be wrong again.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, if Penn shows up in the zone he can still give Hughes a run for the belt. I would still much rather see GSP in the ring with Hughes, but I have been looking forward to this rematch as well.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Time to come clean, I confess - Alexander, Stxnas and Jas don't know **** from shineola when it comes to fight picks. :twisted:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Time to come clean, I confess - Alexander, Stxnas and Jas don't know **** from shineola when it comes to fight picks. :twisted:
LOL. That's just wrong...although it might be true. I wasn't saying Penn was going to win though. Hughes is one of those guys that I can't bring myself to bet against. I would have picked Hughes over GSP and I would much rather see St. Pierre with the belt.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No need for the sarcasm devil when it comes to me. I can't pick for sh*t, except when Fedor fights:twisted:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:rofl:
Okay I admit it. I get most of my opinions from the genius' on Sherdog, listening to Joe Rogan, and watching TUF.

Hughes destroyed Gracie=bjj so he'll destroy Penn=bjj :twisted:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't stand hughes. I hope GSP wins, but if this was a fantasy fight I'd rather see Penn and Hughes and better yet, watch Penn beat Hughes.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I can't stand hughes. I hope GSP wins, but if this was a fantasy fight I'd rather see Penn and Hughes and better yet, watch Penn beat Hughes.
I agree entirely, even though it was difficult to decipher.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree entirely, even though it was difficult to decipher.
Sorry about that... just for clarification on what I was saying. I hope George St. Pierre beats Hughes, and I think thats going to be a good fight either way, but I'd RATHER see a BJ Penn vs Hughes rematch and it'd be even better if I could watch BJ Penn beat Matt Hughes if they were to fight.

and I'll re-emphasis how I can't stand Matt Hughes

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Off the topic, has any of you seen that movie Mirco Crop Cop stared in? He choreographs an arm bar fight scene, I think a heel hook scene and a mate leon. All respects to their applications in a real MMA fight, but not too exciting watching it in an action film