Systema?

• Thread starter mywetnightmares
  • Start date

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
This year I'm going to continuing my Muay Thai training, but I don't think I'm going to really have access to a BJJ school so I'm thinking of taking up another art. I'm very strongly considering Systema simply because I've heard that it's incredibly effective in real life situations. If anyone has any kind of experience with this discipline could you possibly throw some wisdom my way as far as what systema is all about. Thanks much.

papa G

Awards
Don't know much about systema but if you don't have access to BJJ try some wrestling which is pretty much everywhere (you can learn a lot about clinching, takedowns and working on your grappling base. If you don't want to take up wresting try some hapkido or aikido, both are great for SOME everyday real life encounters. You could learn some good wrist locks, pain compliance moves etc.

In my personal experience BJJ combined with thai and regular boxing are the best (BJJ chokes are unrivlaled in real street situations) But if you have no access try the above mentioned arts. The thing that sets thai, regular boxing, wrestling and bjj from the other arts is that you train to get use to contact. In most traditional arts you learn some good technique but have too many forms and showboating techniques that you dont use during sparring.

If you want to be effective in real life you need to train as you would in a fight. Work your BASIC boxing, bjj, wrestling and thai combos dont worry about the kata BS if you want to learn how to defend yourself. If you watch UFC, these fighter have good BREAD AND BUTTER combos both on the ground and on their feet. Most of them stick to that.

Sorry if I offended traditional martial artists on this board but I am speaking from personal experience. I have practiced TKD on a pretty advanced level and have seen many of those guys get hurt in the street. Bruce Lee had the right idea about martial arts. If it was not for him their would not be a such thing as MMA. KEEP AN OPEN MIND WHEN YOU TRAIN, don't use it if it doesn't work for you. JMO!!!!

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I wrestled in highschool for four years, freestyle, greco, and collegiate. I had a chance to do some BJJ this summer and really enjoyed it since it seemed very similar to wrestling. My instructor told me that I should stick with it and that I had potential but unfortunately that was when I was in Seattle for the summer and during the fall, winter and spring I'll be in Iowa. I've seen some stuff on Systema but I'm still a little skeptical and kind of wanted to try it for myself.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking of taking up another art. I'm very strongly considering Systema simply because I've heard that it's incredibly effective in real life situations. If anyone has any kind of experience with this discipline could you possibly throw some wisdom my way as far as what systema is all about. Thanks much.
While I do not have any formal experience with this form of Russian martial art, I can tell you that most of it's principles, in my opinion, directly reflect Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do. The various pictures and statements that I have seen reguarding Systema, left me with the impression that it is just another version of JKD with a different name attached.

For me personally, JKD is the most effective form of defense in the ring, or in "real life situations". It helped me to be more open minded when learning new things. JKD also showed me how important it is to disreguard tradition and useless techniques and only keep what is useful.

JKD made me much more aware of my capabilities. It brought out my ability to quickly adapt to any situation.

Anyways, enough about that. Sorry I couldn't help more with the Systema.

Good luck. Train Hard. :bruce1:

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
systema probablly has a good base in Sambo which is a very effective ground art from what I've read about systema it seems very similar to krav magma. they appear to be very good in street fight type of situations but alot of the technique wouldn't work well for the ring, cage etc. so it depends on your goals for learning

size

Awards
  • Established
Competitive fighting and "life" fighting are two very different animals. In competitive fighting, groin stirkes, eye gouging, biting, etc are not allowed and each individual knows they are in the fight. In life, everything is allowed and typically occurs with no warning.

I would suggest going to the gym and training to see if you like if, if not try something else.

CHeck this for other schools in your area:
Schools

Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Awards
Systema...ehh, there's better choices out there. Just go to Bullshido: No BS Martial Arts Info, Forums, Fight Sport News, Video Clips, and More! and search for "Systema"...the results are interesting to say the least.
Of the clips that I've seen, not one has had anything resembling sparring with full resistance. It's always been very compliant drills that looked more like cinematic fight choreography.
Find a good boxing or wrestling gym, you're better off.

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'm a fan of Combat Judo and Jiu Jitsu. These are both highly effective both in competition and real life situations.