Sylvia's Arm Break: WTF

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm watching UFC 48, and I just saw Tim Sylvia vs. Frank Mir. The replay appeared to clearly show Sylvia's arm breaking. I think I even remember Tim saying after the fact that his arm was broken. When it happened, Tim didn't even submit; the ref stopped it. Tim wanted to keep fighting, and denied that his arm was broken.

My question is: wtf was Tim on? What human being can have his arm broken, have no reaction, move it around, and want to continue fighting. Makes me wonder if Tim is just utterly insane, or if maybe he was using some sort of pharmaceutical.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
adrenaline. I'm sure he felt it a little later. Maybe he took painkillers too like Kerr or Frye.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, adrenaline. Pretty bad break to. He had several pins in his arm, and it was broken in several places.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but doesn't adrenaline wear off after a few minutes. There was several minutes of discussion before the announcement, and he still seemed unphased when talking to Joe Rogan in the octagon. Unless he was taking exogenous adrenaline...Pulp Fiction comes to mind :D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but doesn't adrenaline wear off after a few minutes. There was several minutes of discussion before the announcement, and he still seemed unphased when talking to Joe Rogan in the octagon. Unless he was taking exogenous adrenaline...Pulp Fiction comes to mind :D
Yeah that's true. He even leans on the cage using the broken arm. It was definitely weird. I saw it pop in the fight, but wasn't convinced that it broke until the replay because of Sylvia's reaction and calm demeanor. Shogun's arm and Barnett's shoulder were a few injuries where adrenaline didn't mask the pain. You may be right about some sort of prefight "supplementation". Looking for a new preworkout stim :run:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Adrenaline lasts pretty long..And pure epinephrine is NOT hard to find whatsoever. In my earlier drug days, I had a friend who was allergic to bees and I jabbed myself with her EpiPen (accidentally) which is pure epinephrine. I was high for about 4 hours, and like I said they are extremely easy to obtain

Epipen® | Emergency Treatment | Severe Allergic Reactions

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I broke my arm years ago snowboarding and kept going for 2 more hrs or so. I guess it depends on pain tolerance and probably how it broke. My arm didn't feel to bad at first but got worse as time went and swelling started to happen. The next morning when I woke up and went to stretch my arms out like I normaly wood I got dizzy and almost passed out from the shock of the sharp pain.lol

B4n3 0n3

Yea, I really bashed my hand in a bike crash, it didn't hurt at all at first then the next day just constant PAIN!