Kimo's out, Wes Sims is in
07-20-2006 11:48 PM
Kimo's out, Wes Sims is in
Here's the article from Sherdog. Kimo tested positive for Winny and Pele is out too.
July 20, 2006
by Josh Gross (email@example.com)
Two days from his first professional fight since 1999, Bas Rutten (Pictures) was relaxing at home when he got the call that his opponent, Kimo Leopoldo (Pictures), had been forced off Saturday’s World Fighting Alliance pay-per-view card after allegedly testing positive for Stanozolol, a banned synthetic anabolic steroid derived from testosterone.
As of Thursday evening, California State Athletic Commission Chief Armando Garcia could not comment on the allegations. However, the WFA has already moved forward, signing Ohioan Wes Sims (Pictures), who was scheduled to compete July 28 on the WEC card honoring Ryan Bennett, to fill the vacated slot.
The 26-year-old Sims, who will pocket $30,000 for fighting Rutten on short notice, plans to catch a flight tonight from Houston, Texas, where he was training, to Los Angeles so he can undergo the battery of medical tests required for CSAC licensees.
This is not the first time Leopoldo, famous for his clash with Royce Gracie (Pictures) at UFC III, has failed a urinalysis.
Following a June 2004 UFC contest in which Leopoldo was knocked out by Ken Shamrock (Pictures), the Hawaiian was suspended six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and fined $5,000 for having Stanozolol, more commonly known as Winstrol — a popular steroid among bodybuilders for its weight-cutting benefits — in his system.
“Every guy who uses steroids to fight is a ****ing *****,” said an exasperated Rutten. “For him to do this **** after all the promotion he did, all the **** he talked about me — taking me out in minutes and all that bull**** — apparently that was the steroids talking, right?”
Regarding the six-foot-nine Sims, Rutten said he respects the heavyweight for stepping up on short notice. However, the former UFC heavyweight champion indicated Sims requires a completely different game plan than the one he devised for Kimo.
“It’s a total different game,” Rutten said. Everybody always says ‘oh it’s Wes Sims (Pictures), he lost this and lost that.’ But yea, if you’ve seen his last fight he’s trying really hard, training really hard. He’s got a fight next week. He’s going to be in shape. It’s a total different opponent for me. I got to put suddenly in my head a totally different opponent. For him it’s just a fight, you know.”
“It’s another thing for me,” he laughed. “Another challenge.”
Pele Out, Kampmann In
In a totally unrelated set of circumstances, the WFA on Wednesday learned that Jose Landi-Jons (Pictures) would not be able to compete against Edwin Aguilar (Pictures). Though the reason for Pele’s absence remains unclear, Dutch striker Martin Kampmann has been signed to fill the hole left by the veteran Brazilian.
07-21-2006 12:08 AM
Bas over Sims....2nd round KO
**** Kimo...that was his last chance IMO
E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
07-21-2006 12:16 AM
Man could he have worse timing to do AA's, i dont understand what guys are thinking when they do this pre fight, and after he got caught the first time....... Hope simms is in good shape ol bas el rip em apart if not, prolly win handily anyway tho.
07-21-2006 12:29 AM
I'm definitely more upset that Pele won't be fighting then Kimo failing the tests and getting bounced. Sims will give Bas as much trouble as Kimo, which won't be much. I think we have huge potential to see a liver kick KO
07-21-2006 07:29 AM
If only kimo knew of the stuff we know of He could get away with it.
07-21-2006 11:13 AM
Wes Sims is not fighting either due to restrictions.
"Wes Sims, who had tentatively agreed on Thursday night to be Kimo's replacement in the fight against Bas Rutten, will reportedly not be fighting on the WFA card. Sims was told that the California State Athletic Commission's rules would not allow him to compete twice within a seven-day span, which means that he would have to pull out of his scheduled fight on the WEC's Ryan Bennett Memorial Event on July 28th in order to take the WFA co-main event fight. Mark Coleman reportedly told Sherdog's Josh Gross that Sims has chosen to fight on the WEC card, which would mean that he would not be allowed to fight on the WFA card."
Now, I wonder if anyone is going to step up and fight Bas. This disappoints me.
07-21-2006 12:08 PM
Hell Waterman didn't have any problems (assuming he was tested too).
Originally Posted by Irish480
They better get someone for Bas to fight even if it's some can it would still be cool to see Bas in action.
07-21-2006 12:15 PM
Where's Ross Pointon at?
07-21-2006 03:56 PM
Nice. Ross would definitely take the fight. Reality is not his strong suit. This is BS though. No Pele, no Bas equals no PPV for me.
07-21-2006 04:36 PM
I hope Bas fights. I also have to applaud Sims for taking this if it happens.
"Apparently, Sims was told that if he is not cut or knocked out in the bout with Bas Rutten, that he would be able to compete on both the WFA show at The Forum in L.A. and also on the WEC’s benefit show on July 29th.
Sims was concerned whether he’d be able to get the medicals all completed in time, as California is one of the most stringent states in the country, but is ready to face Rutten on Saturday night."
So, Sims may fight.
07-21-2006 07:42 PM
07-21-2006 08:54 PM
Here's your liver kick from El Guapo! Work with me...it's all I have.
Originally Posted by Alexander
That would really show some self confidence if Sims takes the fight with Bas. He would basically be saying that he doesn't think he'll be getting knocked out or cut.
07-21-2006 10:41 PM
I guess it's definitely Warpath fighting Bas. Should be a brutal KO. I just hope Bas fights again against someone decent. I hope he's not one and out. Really looking forward to Lyoto/Tiger, Rampage/Lindland, and I always love seeing Mayhem fight.
07-23-2006 02:13 PM
Bas stated that he would probably fight again as long as he did not sustain any serious injuries.
Originally Posted by Alexander
Similar Forum Threads
Last Post: 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM