mma training question

dan34

Awards
I've mostly trained and done weightlifting for bodybuilding, but I have started weight training a 20 year old guy who is working on his 4th fight on september 23. I mostly have been doing the basics with him like deadlifts, benchpress, rows, and pullups and also walking lunges(instead of suats/trying to build up endurance). What else should I include, how should I change his training as the fight gets closer, rep range, speed, intensity, duration?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi thought i'd chime in since I am a fighter. One of the best things that help me is concentration on contraction and negatives for a fight like when doing lat pulldowns I'll pull the weight down and just hold it there. When trying for a submission say a rear naked choke your are going to have to squeeze with everything you got for an extended period so you need more muscle endurance. Hope this helps. also when doing the basics like Bench have him explode up like the kind of strength he'll need to push someone off of him

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I am a fighter in MMA, and when it comes to training, I can't emphasize enough the importance of stamina and variation. Make sure he either runs or uses a bicycle and teach him to vary his speeds in an effort to make sure that he does not get used to particular pattern. When it comes to building of muscle, try low reps (1-5) with heavy weight first, then (6-8) reps, this will induce MYOFIBRIL HYPERTROPHY. This type of weight tranning will build the contractile elements of muscle, which in turn means more endurance and quickness.

Last edited:
mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am a fighter in MMA, and when it comes to training, I can't emphasize enough the importance of stamina and variation. Make sure he either runs or uses a bicycle and teach him to vary his speeds in an effort to make sure that he does not get used to particular pattern. When it comes to building of muscle, try low reps (1-5) with heavy weight, this will induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. This type of weight tranning will build the non-contractile elements of muscle, which in turn means more endurance and quickness.

No hype great to see other fighters on here. What camp do you come out of. I come out of one of Cesars affiliates.

dan34

Awards
Thanks for the info so far, but one thing I guess I really want a thought on is should I concentrate on hypertrophy now and then speed later(He has appx 1&1/2 months till the fight) or is it too little time to build up muscle and should I just concentrate on speed and endurance.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info so far, but one thing I guess I really want a thought on is should I concentrate on hypertrophy now and then speed later(He has appx 1&1/2 months till the fight) or is it too little time to build up muscle and should I just concentrate on speed and endurance.

Speed and endurance go hand in hand. Speed is something that I focus on 24-7. The type of workout I suggested is the one that I use because it enables your muscles to get very strong yet not too big, wich in turn enables quickness in movement. And as far as him not having enough time....Are u havin him trying to build muscle as in "size/weight" or is he at the right weight already? I'll tell u what, if he is in good shape and at the desired weight, than a month and a half of cardio/strength trainning should be sufficient time for him to push the sh.. out of it and go!

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
No hype great to see other fighters on here. What camp do you come out of. I come out of one of Cesars affiliates.
Yeah it is cool to see people interested. Alright here is where I differ from a lot of guys....I fly solo. I have one buddy who is my ring man and thats it. I must let u know that I am still awaiting my first "PRO" fight (gotta wait till I can find a SERM for a cycle of SD in order to go up a weight class) however, I am thirty and I have been doin this stuff since I was a little kid. I am a right handed, "strong side forward" fighter and I don't really train on the ground. I don't really go to the ground in a fight either but when I have, I relied on instict which always worked. Please don't misunderstand me, in a world full of submissions and ground n' pounders, I have my work cut out for me but I have the utmost respect for any fighter of any style that will get in a ring or cage and bleed with me.

dan34

Awards
my client is extremely cut at 155 at about 510 probably no more than 6-8 percent body fat. He wants some size, but I really don't want him to go steriodal since he is just 20. I've got him on no2 and creatine and he has already gotten deeper cuts and more vascular the 3 weeks ive been training him. no hype you may want to reconsider the superdrol it has been know to cause cramps

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
my client is extremely cut at 155 at about 510 probably no more than 6-8 percent body fat. He wants some size, but I really don't want him to go steriodal since he is just 20. I've got him on no2 and creatine and he has already gotten deeper cuts and more vascular the 3 weeks ive been training him. no hype you may want to reconsider the superdrol it has been know to cause cramps
Alright. You had stated before that he only had something like a month and a half before his next fight and that u weren't sure if there was enough time. That would leave plenty of time to work on things like speed, cardio, endurance, and stamina, but not enough time for a good size increase. If he wants to move up a weight class like me, than he's gonna have to take some time off from fighting and just concentrate on quality, lean muscle weight gain.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established

Oh and about the SD....I know whats up. I'm gonna run a 3 week cycle 10/20/30. I've got 2 friends that ran 4 week cycles ending at 40mg with no cramps, no sides, no gyno. I also have a friend that experienced some back pumps on a three week cycle of 10/20/20. So I am well aware of the fact that it can swing both ways but cramps are the least of my concerns right now as I am thirty and I need to hurry up and start my "PRO" career in order to get to UFC. So in my situation, time is an issue. I think SD is a pretty good way for me to pack on 15lbs of solid lean muscle mass in one 3 week cycle, but hey....That's just me.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

OK first of all what weight is he fighting at? is the pro or am? will there be any weight allowance? Is he expereinced in cutting weight etc all this is going to depend on if he should go up or not with hytrophy