Poll: UFC 61: Sylvia vs. Arlovski

Who Will Win the Rematch: Sylvia vs. Arlovski

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. let me start by saying I have very limited knowledge of what has occurred in MMA, and who the player's are, but:

Why all the hype on Silva? Didn't he get beaten by Ortiz and Belfort? perhaps he has improved....?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane
    Why all the hype on Silva? Didn't he get beaten by Ortiz and Belfort? perhaps he has improved....?
    That was a few years ago...and yes he has improved greatly since he has been in the Pride organization!
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane
    Much of the hype and excitement comes from the AGGRESSIVE style that Silva employs. In addition to that, he is definitely one of the top fighters in the world.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane
    let me start by saying I have very limited knowledge of what has occurred in MMA, and who the player's are, but:

He lost to Belfort 7 years ago, and Tito 6 years ago. Belfort caught him with the Phenom fury and TKO'd him. Tito just layed n prayed for a decision. Wand was a kid then, and would beat both of those guys nowadays(most likely).

5. Quote Originally Posted by Lanbane
    let me start by saying I have very limited knowledge of what has occurred in MMA, and who the player's are, but:

Yeah, those fights were 6 and 8 years ago. And Silva whooped Rampage (twice); Rampage beat Chuck; Chuck beat Tito. So that 6 or 8 year old loss isn't a factor in 2006.

Silva also has one hell of a chin. He is 31-5, and has only lost twice in the last 6 years. Check out his record Advertising at Sherdog.com One of those losses was to Hunt, who has at least 50lbs on him, and is athletic as hell despite his size.
    •   

6. ...and I meant to mention that even Hunt thought Silva beat him.

After Hunt landed the Atomic Butt Drop on a grounded Silva, Silva immediately gained dominant position; he might have even gotten the mount. Not quite of Fedor-slammed-by-Randleman-esque proportions, but definitely headed in that realm of amazing.

7. Personally I couldnt care less when Sylvia fights next. I'm not really a fan of the current heavyweight division simply due to the size disproportionality. I would sooner watch Arlovski in non-title fights against similar sized opponents.

IMO Sylvia worked his way up the UFC HW ladder using his size as a prop for his sub-par skills. Since his original meeting with Arlovski he has been purposely built to beat that particular opponent. Unless the UFC can scrape up some more genetic singularities I think we will just see a bunch of Sylvia jab, straight, and stuff take down snooze-fests against shorter opponents.

Time for a super HW division...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Who will win the BIG 12 North
    By BigMfer in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 02:55 AM
  2. New Who will win the Superbowl poll!
    By SgtP in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
  3. Who will order the 'O webcast?
    By Grunt76 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 08:55 PM
  4. who will win world cup
    By spatch in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
  5. I'll hit it off - who will win NBA rookie of the year?
    By judge-mental in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM