Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone think Leben will win? I'd really like to see a nice shin kick to the head from Silva a la Alex Steibling. I think Silva by brutal KO. Anyone? Any thoughts on the other fights tonight?

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I have no idea who will win on this one. I think Leben is a funny guy and like to watch him because of the show he puts on. After the UF show he seems to have got a beter. I didn't think he looked all that great on UF,either that or the guys were that much beter.

size

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, if Leben tries to stand with Silva, then Leben is going to be in trouble. Leben is known for having a tough chin, but to many cuts from Sivla's strikes will end the fight.

I think Menne is going to win his fight but i hope it does not go to decision.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, if Leben tries to stand with Silva, then Leben is going to be in trouble. Leben is known for having a tough chin, but to many cuts from Sivla's strikes will end the fight.
Hahaha. You couldn't have said it better. :lol:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Leben got KNOCKED THE **** OUT! Wow Silva looked impressive.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha. You couldn't have said it better. :lol:
He didn't get cut, but whatever. I want to see Silva/Franklin really bad. I hope they put that together quickly. Silva's standup is better then Franklin's, but I do think Franklin will have a good chance at keeping it on the ground. Anderson looks like he put on some weight, he's still skinny, but he used to be a stick figure. They have him listed at 5'11", try 6'2". It was a beautiful thing to see that ignorant loudmouth Leben get destroyed.

size

Awards
  • Established
The Silva vs. Leben fight was really a mismatch. Silva is a much more experienced and a much better fighter. Silva is a top tier fighter. In regards to this fight, I can't understand why Leben choose to stand with Silva.

I just read that Menne and Koscheck went to a decision. It must have been a boring fight.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Leben rushed out trying to take Silva down right after the bell but Silva popped him in the face and slung him to the mat. Then Silva just opened a can of whoopass on Leben. Totally one sided.

size

Awards
  • Established
Leben rushed out trying to take Silva down right after the bell but Silva popped him in the face and slung him to the mat.
He should have tried to take him down again and again. The lone attempt was weak at best.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
He should have tried to take him down again and again. The lone attempt was weak at best.
You're right he should have tried harder for takedowns, but I think he got the overwhelming feeling that a thunderous knee would be waiting for him. He really just had no chance.

size

Awards
  • Established
You're right he should have tried harder for takedowns, but I think he got the overwhelming feeling that a thunderous knee would be waiting for him. He really just had no chance.
You made me laugh b/c it is the truth. :nutkick:

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I don't think it would have made much of a difference what Leben did Silva was that much beter:jaw:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I had only seen Silva's fight with Chonan where he didn't look that good at all (and lost). His striking look very accurate and he's definitely better than I thought he was. I think Leben's chin was a little overrated, too. He was in trouble right away.

Think a Rashad vs. Arona fight for Lay N Pray champion will ever happen?

Pit Bull

Awards
here are the results from the rest of the fights

PRELIMINARY BOUTS

Justin Levens vs. Jorge Santiago
-Santiago def. Levens by TKO at 2:13 of Round 1
-Santiago was able to take Levens down to start the bout, but eventually the fighters made their way back to the stand-up position. Shortly thereafter, Santiago clinched with his opponent and landed two heavy knee strikes that KO'd Levens, giving Jorge Santiago the victory.

Rob MacDonald vs. Kristian Rothaermel
-MacDonald def. Rothaermel by submission (armbar) at 4:01 of Round 1
-Rothaermel went for multiple takedowns, but was stopped at every turn and eventually got taken down himself by MacDonald. After four solid takedowns, MacDonald got the mount and started landing strikes. Rothaermel tried to roll out of the position, but he got caught in an armbar and was submitted.

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
-Fitch def. Alves by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 4:37 of Round 2
-Fitch controlled the pace for the majority of the fight, taking down Alves and working from inside his guard. In the second round, Fitch once again completed several takedowns, but he was eventually reversed by Alves. Alves then stood up and got caught by two vicious upkicks from Fitch, the second of which basically knocked Alves out. Fitch jumped on his downed opponent, and the referee stopped the bout at 4:37 of Round 2.

Jason Lambert vs. Branden Lee Hinkle
-Lambert def. Hinkle by TKO (referee stoppage due to strikes) at 5:00 of Round 1
-Hinkle came out and was able to take Lambert down twice, one of which was a suplex with visions of Dan Severn vs. Anthony Macias in mind, but Hinkle wasn't able to control Lambert on the ground. Lambert eventually got Hinkle to the ground, where he gained side control and landed multiple elbow strikes. This forced Hinkle to roll to his stomach, where Lambert landed even more punches. As the horn sounded at the end of the first round and referee Herb Dean intervened, it was clear that he was actually stopping the fight. Hinkle was hurt, as he wobbled back to his corner and Lambert declared the winner.

Josh Koscheck vs. Dave Menne
-Koscheck def. Menne by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
-Outside of a big punch and some attempted leglocks, Menne was never able to gain much of an upper hand in the fight. Koscheck took Menne down throughout the fight and went for punches and elbows from inside of Menne's guard. Koscheck got the win by unanimous decision.

MAIN CARD

Mark Hominick vs. Jorge Gurgel
-Hominick def. Gurgel by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
-Hominick and Gurgel spent the majority of the fight trading shots, with neither fighter ever really going all-out trying to finish the bout. Gurgel was landing good leg kicks, while Hominick managed to hit the more precise punches. In the end, the judges felt that Hominick's striking was just a bit better than Gurgel's, as Hominick won the decision on all three scorecards.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Rashad Evans
-Evans def. Bonnar by majority decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-29)
-Rashad Evans still hasn't finished an opponent in the UFC, but his wrestling and takedowns looked phenomenal in the fight as he took Stephan Bonnar down at will. The highlights belonged to Evans with some tremendous slams and takedowns. Somehow, one of the judges scored the bout a draw, even though it was a one-sided win for Evans.

Chris Leben vs. Anderson Silva
-Anderson Silva def. Chris Leben by KO at 0:49 of Round 1
-In the opening seconds of the bout, Silva peppered Leben with some jabs that instantly stunned his opponent. A few punches and a good head kick later, Leben backed off even more. A very solid Muay Thai knee strike sent Leben crashing down to the mat, and the most dominant stand up fighter at 185 pounds, Anderson Silva, looked very impressive in his debut.

Luke Cummo vs. Jonathan Goulet – Swing Bout
-Goulet def. Cummo by majority decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-29)
-This was a back-and-forth fight in which both men gained the upper hand at different points in the fight. However, outside of a good right hook and a knee strike in the second round and a near-submission by rear naked choke from Cummo, it was Goulet who controlled the pace of the fight. With takedown after takedown, Goulet was able to move freely from inside of Cummo's guard, landing good elbow strikes and punches on his way to a majority decision victory.

tattoopierced1

not a big leben fan, so I'm glad he got knocked out... it did go alot quicker than I expected though...

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anderson ripped Leben a new one and totally embarrassed him.
Leben looked terrible with his wild swings and could never get to Silva. The ref gave Leben all the time he needed and it was not a lucky KO.

SHSUStudent

Awards
It's no surprise that Silva beat Leben, but I am still shocked at the speed and ease of it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Anderson's entrance's in Pride and other events(Meca) are so cool. He gets dressed up in a suit and a weird hat and does a Michael Jackson dance on his way to the ring, and dude can dance. Very entertaining fighter, good pick-up by the UFC.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anderson's entrance's in Pride and other events(Meca) are so cool. He gets dressed up in a suit and a weird hat and does a Michael Jackson dance on his way to the ring, and dude can dance. Very entertaining fighter, good pick-up by the UFC.
He may be the only legitamite threat to Franklin in the UFC. His muay thai is incredible and if he keeps training with the Noguiera's, then his ground game will be incredible as well. I think that Franklin just got clearance to begin training again, but hopefully this will happen in October or November.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That fight between bonner was bs, as evans def tossed bonner at will, not stellar, but a win...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That fight between bonner was bs, as evans def tossed bonner at will, not stellar, but a win...
Yeah, it was a clear victory. Rashad could be pretty dam good if he could attack better from top position. He had Bonnar extremely frustrated. Oh, and Rodja I think Marquardt may get thrown into the mix postponing the inevitable Silva/Franklin match-up. As long as Silva or Franklin are on the card I'm happy. BTW who would you take in a Silva/Franklin match-up?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, it was a clear victory. Rashad could be pretty dam good if he could attack better from top position. He had Bonnar extremely frustrated. Oh, and Rodja I think Marquardt may get thrown into the mix postponing the inevitable Silva/Franklin match-up. As long as Silva or Franklin are on the card I'm happy. BTW who would you take in a Silva/Franklin match-up?
Between Franklin and Silva, I would give a slight edge to Silva based on his overwhelming Muay Thai. There aren't any other fighters like him in the UFC and I don't think that Franklin has faced a striker of his caliber.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Franklin has a serious problem now in Silva.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I could be wrong but I don't think Franklin will have that much of a problem with him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but you also implied that Leben/Silva was a toss up, when Silva was a clear huge favorite. Franklin may be able to pull off a win, but it will be his biggest challenge in the UFC so far. Anderson's stand-up is incredible and his ground is improving quickly. It could really go either way, if I had to pick I'd go with Franklin due to his size advantage, which should allow him to control on the ground.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Yeah ur right. I think on this one I’m going to just say I hope the fight happens I bet it will be a good one:run:

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
You can certainly see the difference between a true experienced MMA fighter and an "up and coming" fighter when they are put side by side (think Franklin/Quarry). Leben had his ass handed to him in a handbag.

Evans fights are sooooooo boring. I had to fast forward that one.

The Cummo fight was a good one. It's funny that the nerd who can't see turned out to be such a good fighter. I can't wait to see some of these newbies get polished up a bit.

As for Franklin/Silva......anything can happen at this level. You just have to wait and see. One wrong move can change the whole course of the fight.....that is what I find to be the attraction of MMA fighting. It's so unpredictable.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So, who does Silva fight next? Louisea? Swick? Lister? Marquadt? straight to Franklin?

Franklin needs a fight before he faces Silva, who and when will that be?
All of those matchups will be good. Strikers like Loiseau and Swick will be entertaining matchups.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All of those matchups will be good. Strikers like Loiseau and Swick will be entertaining matchups.
Holy crap...I just watched this fight and Leben got KNTFO!

And I agree competely with the statement above. Silva would make a great match against a striker, but I don't think he's proved himself on the ground. I haven't seen him in a while though, so I could be wrong.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Holy crap...I just watched this fight and Leben got KNTFO!

And I agree competely with the statement above. Silva would make a great match against a striker, but I don't think he's proved himself on the ground. I haven't seen him in a while though, so I could be wrong.
I don't remember who it was against, maybe Ryo Chonan [sp?], but I saw Silva in a Pride match from 2004 or 2005, and his ground game was pretty solid. He did end up losing, but he definitely held his own on the ground.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Then I stand corrected.

size

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember who it was against, maybe Ryo Chonan [sp?], but I saw Silva in a Pride match
It was against Chonan, and Chonan caught Silva in an amazing heel hook.
Sivla is skilled on the ground but striking is definitely his strength

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Chonan's finish was sick in that fight. I just returned it to Netflix :frustrate: I'd like to see it again.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Rogue, I'm still having issues with my media players. I'll PM you over there.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just watched the Silva/Leben fight. I can't believe how much **** Leben was talking. His record does not speak highly of his previous competition; I think it said he was 15-1. Silva was outstanding.
Leben is lucky Silva kept thinking Big John was gonna stop it. The first time Leben went down, Silva paused before continuing. Then, after the big knee that ended it, he didn't dive on top and start pounding a la Crocop. Leben is lucky the beating wasn't worse.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just watched the Silva/Leben fight. I can't believe how much **** Leben was talking. His record does not speak highly of his previous competition; I think it said he was 15-1. Silva was outstanding.
Leben is lucky Silva kept thinking Big John was gonna stop it. The first time Leben went down, Silva paused before continuing. Then, after the big knee that ended it, he didn't dive on top and start pounding a la Crocop. Leben is lucky the beating wasn't worse.
You have been watching a lot of MMA lately! Shouldn't you be grading some papers or something? LOL.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Summertime, bro. Nothing to do but watch technically sophisticated violence :twisted:

Seriously though, I DVR everything that comes on Spike (as of the last month), and I get MMA DVDs from Netflix. I only watch them while doing cardio, and I do 30-75 min. just about every day. 60min of cardio is so easy while watching Fedor, Crocop, Silva, etc. The fights keep you hyped up so the cardio never gets tedious.

My wife is becoming a bit concerned, though :run: