Damn, This Guy is a Beast: Rampage Jackson

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Until Wanderlei owned him...he hasn't been the same since he took all those knees to the head.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I'm still a newb w/MMA, so I only saw bits of the first fight. I can't believe Silva owned him. I saw a few interviews where he talked non-stop shiznit about Wandy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, I'm still a newb w/MMA, so I only saw bits of the first fight. I can't believe Silva owned him. I saw a few interviews where he talked non-stop shiznit about Wandy.
Their second fight has one of the best/worst KO's I have ever seen. Wandy knees him from a clinch, lets go, and Rampage falls through the ropes. At least you acknowledge the presence of PRIDE, so don't consider yourself a TUFer. I have only been training for about a year, but it is the funnest and hardest sport out there.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The rampage HL reel kicks ass, his and his opponents, Silva put the definition of a KTFO on him after Jackson did the powerslam on Arona in his previous fight.

The Arona slam was in the same Pride where Randelman supplexed Fedor, Fedor shrugged that neck breaker off like it was nothing, damn, just damn.

Check out "PRIDE - Critical Countdown 2004" sometime, those fights, Sammy Schilt getting pounded bloody and a good fight between Big Nog and Heath Herring., that was a great event.
I just found about 25 Pride DVD's on Netflix, so I will definitely have some entertainment while I do cardio in the a.m. My neighbors should definitely be frightened when they hear fight announcers going crazy at 5a.m. b/c the volume is cranked to be heard over my loud ass elliptical. :hammer:

size

Awards
  • Established
You will enjoy Pride. I find it to be much better fights than UFC.

Jackson is an exciting fighter. He destroyed current UFC champ Liddell. Problem with Jackson is that he ran into Silva.
Jackson will be fighting Matt Lindland is roughly a month. Should be interesting since Lindland usually fights a t a lower wieght and Lindland has amazing wrestling skills.

Arona should have never been slammed by Jackson at his level of bjj, the counter is so easy and he probably has done it 1000 times.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just found about 25 Pride DVD's on Netflix, so I will definitely have some entertainment while I do cardio in the a.m. My neighbors should definitely be frightened when they hear fight announcers going crazy at 5a.m. b/c the volume is cranked to be heard over my loud ass elliptical. :hammer:
Ha ha...my eliptical is really loud too and I do the same thing! Anyway, I have had netflix for years now and I have tried to keep up with the Pride DVDs as I feel they are pretty kick ass overall. Critical Countdown 2004 is definitely worth the the rental. I'm pretty sure that it's one disc of a tournament from that year. Check out Pride's website and try and rent them in order. Since you're a newb you probably won't know who is going to win a lot of the matches.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Pride is what UFC aspires to. Or at least it should be!

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Rampage used to be my favorite fighter...it seems ever since he was "born again," he hasn't been the same.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Silva knocked it right out of him! That knock out was demoralizing and could have potentially been career ending in a sense that he has not been the same since, jmo.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah God can make you Peaceful, But RJ is a beast, as he Liddel has to know that knockout was one of my all time favs. PRIDE is just the best of the WORLD!!! and UFC has great people but not the best in the world... What i would love is Silvia and Fedor... Match in heaven...

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Rampage suffers from lack of a good training camp. Team Oyama never really helped him that much, it was his sheer talent carrying him through. If he trained consistently with a good team like Quest, MFS, or AMC Pankration he would be hard to beat.

Thje Lindland fight will be intereting but I see Quinton just overpowering Matt. I don't see Lindland being able to keep Page down and he can't stand with Jackson or he will get hurt. But damn, that WFA card looks great with a lot of great match-ups.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha...my eliptical is really loud too and I do the same thing! Anyway, I have had netflix for years now and I have tried to keep up with the Pride DVDs as I feel they are pretty kick ass overall. Critical Countdown 2004 is definitely worth the the rental. I'm pretty sure that it's one disc of a tournament from that year. Check out Pride's website and try and rent them in order. Since you're a newb you probably won't know who is going to win a lot of the matches.
I'm all over it, dude :head:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah God can make you Peaceful, But RJ is a beast, as he Liddel has to know that knockout was one of my all time favs. PRIDE is just the best of the WORLD!!! and UFC has great people but not the best in the world... What i would love is Silvia and Fedor... Match in heaven...
Come on man, Fedor would beat Sylvia very easily.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Maybe he meant Silva/Fedor?

BTW, did anyone hear of Jerome Le Banner's challenge to Tim Sylvia a few months ago? I really, really hope Le Banner comes to the UFC. How badass would that be??

I rarely speak in absolutes or so dramatically when it comes to MMA, but Le Banner would demolish Tim Sylvia. And oh, how I would love to see that.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do believe they're in different weight classes though...would have to be an open weight tournament.

What organization does Le Banner fight in? I don't recall hearing this name...or at least I can't put a face w/it. Is this they guy from K-1? If it is, I really like the guy, but history shows that most K-1 guys don't do so well transitioning into Pride/UFC...of course there are exceptions ala Mirko Cro Cop.

size

Awards
  • Established
Jerome Le Banner fights in K1 and is an excellent and big kickboxer.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, I know who that is now. I haven't seen him since he lost to Ernesto Hoost for the K1 championship a few years ago.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I had already put Pride "Fists of Fury" at the top of my Netflix. It just came today. 60 min. of cardio went by like nothing. I watched Overeem vs. Nogueira, Jackson vs. Rua, and Crocop vs. Coleman. Jackson vs. Rua was a strange fight. Jackson's talent was still obvious. He had some amazing reversals, etc., but I can see what you guys mean about him not being the same after Silva's knee. He looked nothing like he had looked in the highlight, though he did kick it up in the last 3 min. or so. Regardless, I couldn't believe he got the decision. He said a few words at the end about having limited time to train for the fight; I'm curious to see what happened in the April 2005 tournament.

Crocop vs. Coleman was a joke. Crocop is a beast! His takedown defense was absolutely amazing. He is definitely one of the best to watch.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crocop vs. Coleman was a joke. Crocop is a beast! His takedown defense was absolutely amazing. He is definitely one of the best to watch.
Another fight to look for would be Silva vs Crop Cop. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it was a great battle (Pride 20...in my queue now!).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

BTW, did anyone hear of Jerome Le Banner's challenge to Tim Sylvia a few months ago? I really, really hope Le Banner comes to the UFC. How badass would that be??

I rarely speak in absolutes or so dramatically when it comes to MMA, but Le Banner would demolish Tim Sylvia. And oh, how I would love to see that.
UFC and K-1 have some sort of talent swap agreement to let their fighters compete in each organization. They mainly did this for Royce Gracie and BJ Penn, but I think that LeBanner and Sylvia are going to fight at some point.

Also, on a side note, Brock Lesnar has a contract offer from both the UFC and K-1, but has yet to sign.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Okay, I know who that is now. I haven't seen him since he lost to Ernesto Hoost for the K1 championship a few years ago.
He is probably the best heavyweight kickboxer in the world.

He recently beat Bonjasky in a K-1 Superfight.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, he has some heavy hands. I'd love to see him in Pride or UFC. Frye takes a beating :run:

SHSUStudent

Awards
Page is training with Team Punishment... Matt Hamil, Josh Burkman, Kendall, Soloman, Josh Barnett, Ivan Salaverry, Joe Stevenson, Tito of course, and a bunch of other guys up in Big Bear. That should be a hell of a group to make one great camp.

TitoOrtiz.com For some pictures.

Oh yeh... I say Tim takes LeBanner with relative ease. Tim's ground game should be enough to take LeBanner by itself, not to mention that Tim has a granite jaw. He's taken two perfect shots from AA and while both knocked him down, neither knocked him out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Page is training with Team Punishment... Matt Hamil, Josh Burkman, Kendall, Soloman, Josh Barnett, Ivan Salaverry, Joe Stevenson, Tito of course, and a bunch of other guys up in Big Bear. That should be a hell of a group to make one great camp.

TitoOrtiz.com For some pictures.

Oh yeh... I say Tim takes LeBanner with relative ease. Tim's ground game should be enough to take LeBanner by itself, not to mention that Tim has a granite jaw. He's taken two perfect shots from AA and while both knocked him down, neither knocked him out.
LeBanner will destroy Sylvia. He has a ground game (I think he trains with Dean Lister) not to mention a wicked set of hands/feet. Sylvia talks a lot of ****. He called out Fedor once and anyone with more than TUF knowledge knows that Sylvia would last less than a minute with Fedor.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LeBanner will destroy Sylvia. He has a ground game (I think he trains with Dean Lister) not to mention a wicked set of hands/feet. Sylvia talks a lot of ****. He called out Fedor once and anyone with more than TUF knowledge knows that Sylvia would last less than a minute with Fedor.
I think most would agree about Sylvia vs Fedor, but I had no idea that LeBanner was still around...not to mention that well rounded! He'll definitely know his **** if he trains ground with Lister.

SHSUStudent

Awards

Been watching MMA since mid 90's, no TUF'er here. Fedor would eat Tim yes, but we are talking about LeBanner.

Perhaps saying Tim wins with relative easy was a bit over the top, but I still pick Tim in that fight.

SHSUStudent

Awards
Who's the best striker that Sylvia has faced? AA?

How does AA compare to Hoost, Hunt, Aerts, Bernado, Cro Cop, Hug? Very poorily.

Not familar with those names?, that's because American fans see guys like Michael McDonald (18% KO rate) and not the events out of Japan and Europe with JLB and his 59% KO rate.
1) I've never been a huge AA fan, but the guy is a world class striker. (and I know it's cool to hate on AA right now) He is one of the fastest, most athletic, and most accurate fighters in MMA. Credit where credit is due.

2) Yes, I am familiar with all those names. I don't have any problem with you having an opposing opinion, but please don't assume I'm a "TUF'er" and don't know anything about MMA.

3) Tim is a Miletich fighter and I have to assume that if he took LeBanner down he would have a significant advantage. I know that Tim strikes in most of his fights, but that does not mean he couldn't alter his gameplan. I think Tim could take him to the ground and if he did I think he would have a good chance to finish him.

4) Isn't this thread about Rampage? lol

You guys take a look at the pic on Tito's website? He really is taking those TUF guys under his wing. I think Matt Hamill is going to turn out to be a pretty decent fighter in time if he continues to train with Tito. Can't wait to see how good Matt really is when he fights Jesse.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Jerome would beat Tim like a naughty step-child that stole a cookie.

Viva la Jerome!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm learning so much :thumbsup:

BTW, I have Pride Critical Countdown and Bodyblow coming from Netflix. Looking forward to cardio this week :head:

SHSUStudent

Awards
I don't doubt your knowledge of MMA, but making statements like "AA could'nt KO Sylvia so JLB also could not" makes me highly suspicious of your knowledge of how generally bad MMA strikers are in comparison to the kickboxers.
I think you missed my point too man, lol.

I wasn't saying that "AA could'nt KO Sylvia so JLB also could not" in any way, shape, or form. All I was saying is that Tim has a solid chin, no more, no less. Anyone that can take a punch from AA like that, much less two, and not get KO'd has a solid chin. That's all I'm saying.

Also, I'm not sure what we disagree on really. We both agree that JLB would win a standup battle, but I guess maybe we don't agree on who would win a MMA match. I think that Tim could take him down and win it from there in MMA, whether it be a submission, GnP, or a snoozefest lay n pray. Like I said he is a Miletich fighter, and they do great ground work as a camp. Just because he prefer's to stand in his fights thus far doesn't mean he doesn't have a solid ground game and it doesn't mean he wouldn't use it to exploit a K1 fighters weaknesses.

Question my knowledge if you wish, but I don't see the gapping hole in my logic/prediction that you seem to see.

Can one of you guys that is so certain JLB would beat Tim so effortlessly please explain to me how Tim winning a ground fight is so out of the question?

I honestly don't like Tim very much, but I don't let that cloud my view of looking at things from an objective point of view. You guys are being pretty closed minded IMO.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Earlier in this thread somebody stated that JLB trains ground with Dean Lister...I don't know how long this has been going on, but if the ground game is/was a weakness for JLB, it probably won't be in the future (if he outlast father time...he's got to be getting up there in age for a fighter...maybe mid to late 30s).

size

Awards
  • Established
Yes, let us try and stay on topic. I know I am guilty of this as well, but please make an effort.

SHSUStudent

Awards
Yes, let us try and stay on topic. I know I am guilty of this as well, but please make an effort.

Anyone think that training with Tito and "the gang" up in Big Bear will give Page the edge he needs to get back to his old self?

Or do you guys think he's got RJJ syndrome and will never be the same fighter after Wandy?

I for one really hope he gets back to his old self, I enjoyed watching his "unique" style very much.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's really no way to tell until he climbs back into the ring. That being said, it definitely won't hurt him any!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Anyone think that training with Tito and "the gang" up in Big Bear will give Page the edge he needs to get back to his old self?

Or do you guys think he's got RJJ syndrome and will never be the same fighter after Wandy?

I for one really hope he gets back to his old self, I enjoyed watching his "unique" style very much.
Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see the old Rampage, hopefully I'm wrong though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It will be hard to tell against Linland if he is back to his old self. Don't forget that Shogun gave him a pretty good beating too.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I just watched Jackson vs. Arona from PRIDEFC Critical Countdown 2004. I'd seen that slam many times in highlights, but it was actually disturbing to see it unfold. BEASTLY :twisted: Arona's head ricocheted off the canvas so hard that it cut Jackson's head when it bounced back up.

size

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf.....try to watch some George St. Pierre fights when you get a chance. He is an excellent fighter who is technically sound.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'll look him up and get that in my next Netflix order ;)

Jackson is obviously incredibly strong for his size and seems to have a rare level of cajones. Even to my uneducated eye he seems to be get by more on athletic talent and balls than on skill. He seems to take a lot of shots, and is definitely exciting to watch, though. I watched his fight vs. Ninja, his first fight after getting KO'd. Even Jackson thought he lost. Honestly, the second time I watched it, it appeared that although Ninja dictated the course of the fight, for the most part, Jackson was more successful in attacking and countering.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf, you must be on an MMA high. I remember when I first got into MMA being so excited awaiting every new tape or dvd. Like friggin christmas, I'm jealous you have so much good sh*t to watch. If you can try to check out IVC, and Meca, its real deal vale tudo, and there are some great fighters in these events. You'll soon find out about all types of smaller events that have taken place over the years with many great fights. World Extreme Fighting has a couple excellent card with 10-15 fights for each event(7-10 are really good). You seem to like MMA for all the right reasons unlike a lot of new fans that have become fans off TUF, and talk out there asses.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf, you must be on an MMA high. I remember when I first got into MMA being so excited awaiting every new tape or dvd. Like friggin christmas, I'm jealous you have so much good sh*t to watch. If you can try to check out IVC, and Meca, its real deal vale tudo, and there are some great fighters in these events. You'll soon find out about all types of smaller events that have taken place over the years with many great fights. World Extreme Fighting has a couple excellent card with 10-15 fights for each event(7-10 are really good). You seem to like MMA for all the right reasons unlike a lot of new fans that have become fans off TUF, and talk out there asses.
Guilty. I saw UFC 1, and didn't really like it b/c the fights were just brutal. Guys were getting hit 6 or 7 times while their eyes were already rolled back in their heads. I remember 1 fight where a guy actually stopped hitting before the ref did b/c he saw what the ref did not. To me, that is not entertainment.

I have no desire to see someone have permanent brain damage from a sporting event. My godfather was a boxer in Ireland. Every time he tells me about his last fight he tears up. The other guy never recovered. My godfather is the nicest guy in the world, and he never intended that. I also have a cousin (pretty distant) from Ireland who was a bigtime boxer here in the 80's. He and his trainer made a lot of poor decisions, and he has the intellect of a child right now. These connections turned me off of fighting when I was still younger. I'm glad to see the caliber of refs, and I'd rather they err on the side of caution and end it prematurely than let someone have permanent damage.

I think it was a Crocop highlight that Beelz posted a while back that left me in awe. The skill and athleticism these guys display is inspiring. Since then I've been watching highlights and reading the analysis you guys post. The highlights are attention getting, but nothing compared to the long haul of the actual fight.

MMA is definitely a fascinating sport. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Wandy

Wandy

Awards

Wandy

Wandy

Awards
Beowulf.....try to watch some George St. Pierre fights when you get a chance. He is an excellent fighter who is technically sound.
gsp is the future of mma: athletic, well-rounded, disciplined and a huge heart. he has begged the ufc to rematch him with matt hughes for the welterweight title and he got it. one of the most entertaining true martial artists in the biz, impressive jiu-jitsu ground game, amazing standup using karate and muay thai. check out his teammate david loiseau if you haven't heard of him, same style, both from montreal, canada. st-pierre will be taking the belt from hughes within the next 6 months. mark my words.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I just watched Fedor vs. Randleman. I had seen that slam in clips many times, but it does not cease to amaze. Fedor is lucky that he retained consciousness, nevermind escaping a broken neck.

The show of sportsmanship was especially impressive. Randleman picked Fedor up and carried him around the ring. That is class!

BTW, Jackson was commentating. Funny as hell! When asked for his advice for Heath Herring against Nog, he said he should get some bigger trunks so they stop creeping up his ass :toofunny:

size

Awards
  • Established
Fedor is not human. He has not lost a fight in over 5 years. The only fight he ever "lost" was a stoppage due to a freak cut.

He is amazing. :fool2:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice elbows and a solid striker. He was picked apart by Rich Franklin though.
I really thought that was going to be a much better fight than it was. I knew Franklin was good, but that was when I realize how good he really is.

Damn, I just watched Fedor vs. Randleman. I had seen that slam in clips many times, but it does not cease to amaze.

BTW, Jackson was commentating. Funny as hell! When asked for his advice for Heath Herring against Nog, he said he should get some bigger trunks so they stop creeping up his ass :toofunny:

Yeah, that slam was amazing to see! I replayed that over and over. And if I recall Jackson's commentary from that night...he said some really funny stuff the whole night...especially when Baas meant to say Randleman and said Jackson instead. His repsonse was classic Rampage (his response was obvious, but the delivery and tension that Baas showed after slipping up was great).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin Training Forum 9
thebigt Supplements 30
Nutrition / Health 4
Supplements 10
mixedup Anabolics 4