Bas returns

size

Awards
  • Established
Rutten is returning, as initially believed, against Kimo in the WFA. The fight will take place in July in Los Angeles at the Forum.

Rutten hasn't fought since 1999 when he squared off against Kevin Randleman at UFC 20: Battle for the Gold. Rutten won the UFC Heavyweight Title when he defeated Randleman by judges' decision after 21 minutes of fighting.

Prior to that, Rutten defeated Tsuyoshi "T.K." Kosaka by knockout at UFC 18. If you look at Rutten's record, you'll see that he hasn't lost in his last 20 fights.

Bas won 19 of those fights, with one fight going to a draw against Osami Shibuya. Rutten's last loss came at the hands of Ken Shamrock in the Pancrase organization back in 1995 by submission due to a kneebar. Rutten has an overall record of 27-4-1 in his MMA career.

Rutten's scheduled opponent, Kimo, hasn't fought in almost a year. In his last fight, Kimo lost in Pride Bushido 8 last July to Ikuhisa Minowa by submission in the first round.

In his two fights prior to facing Minowa, Kimo defeated Marcus Royster in the Rumble on the Rock promotion, and lost to Ken Shamrock at UFC 48: Payback.

Kimo lost in Pride Bushido to Ikuhisa Minowa by submission in the first round. Kimo beat Marcus Royster in Rumble on the Rock, before losing to Ken Shamrock at UFC 48's Payback card. Kimo's MMA record is 9-5-1.

An already stacked WFA card just got that much better with the return of "El Guapo." Here's how the card shakes down.

Quinton Jackson (24-6-0) vs Matt Lindland (18-3-0)

Ricco Rodriguez (22-6-0) vs Ron Waterman (13-3-2)

Lyoto Machida (7-0-0) vs Vernon White (24-27-2)

Ivan Salaverry (11-4-0) vs Art Santore (14-4-0)

Kimo Leopoldo (9-5-1) vs Bas Rutten (27-4-1)

Rob McCullough (11-3-0) vs Opponent TBD

Jason Miller (14-4-0) vs. Opponent TBD

This will be interesting to see. While I do not doubt that he will dispose of Kimo, I wonder if he will push for more matches due to some of his injuries he had towards the end of his career.

tattoopierced1

is this the same Kimo from UFC.. if so, then Bas will destroy him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Source? If true, I'm about to go f#ckin nuts. Screw Kimo, but if Bas sticks around after that I'd love to see him face some top 205ers. Hell Bas could probably make 185 if he wanted.

size

Awards
  • Established
Quote from Bas:

The day of the production shoot, I was pretty sure I wanted to return to fight for the WFA, but I had yet to make a final decision,” said Rutten. “Kimo’s comments and behavior certainly made that decision an easy one, providing me a whole new level of motivation.

Here is the WFA website:
www.wfa.tv

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro, I'm now definitely ordering the PPV.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Bas over Kimo early
Rico all the **** over Waterman
Rampage over Linland by decision...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think Waterman is gonna beat Ricco.

Snipervirus

Awards
Ken Shamrock beat Bas twice. I doubt that Ken is going to bother fighting him again, and if he does, I think Bas would loose, since the age isnt a limiting factor for Ken in this case.

size

Awards
  • Established
Ken Shamrock beat Bas twice. I doubt that Ken is going to bother fighting him again, and if he does, I think Bas would loose, since the age isnt a limiting factor for Ken in this case.
Bas lost to Shamrock via submissions. Bas started in MMA strictly as a kickboxer, his ground work was quite poor. Consequently, he was easier to submit. As his career went forward, Bas became a much better fighter with a more complete game. IN fact, I believe his last loss was to Ken.
Aside, Bas beat Frank Shamrock who is better than Ken.

Last edited:
Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bas lost to Shamrock via submissions. Bas started in MMA strictly as a kickboxer, his gorund work was quite poor. Consequebtly, he was easier to submit. As his career went forward, Bas became a much better fighter with a more complete game. IN fact, I believe his last loss was to Ken.
I concur Size.

size

Awards
  • Established
I concur Size.
Thanks. :)

Some more popped into my head, originally Bas did not even know how to defend a shoot/takedown. Like many kickboxers, then never needed to sprawl so they would try to kick or knee the opponent on the shoot and this usually fails.

SHSUStudent

Awards
Bas lost to Shamrock via submissions. Bas started in MMA strictly as a kickboxer, his ground work was quite poor. Consequently, he was easier to submit. As his career went forward, Bas became a much better fighter with a more complete game. IN fact, I believe his last loss was to Ken.

Couldn't agree more; Bas would walk through Ken nowadays. And Frank was/is a far superior fighter to Ken.

On another note... Have you guys seen how huge Ricco is now? Check out the WFA website for the pics.

I'm pretty pumped about the WFA, time for the UFC to lose it's monopoly over MMA in the States.

size

Awards
  • Established
Just a note, Lindland will be fighting at 205 against Jackson. So Lindland makes a big weight jump for this one. To me, this is pretty amazing considering he won his Olympic medal while wrestling at 167.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
Waterman already beat Ricco before.

I saw the fight in Lemoore, Ca. I thought Ricco shold have done a little better. Waterman is a big strong guy who takes guys down and pounds on them. Ricco went for submissions but Waterman always got out of um.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I retract the ricco over waterman statement...ricco is FAT now!!!

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ricco looked like a blob of **** (330?) when he lost recently against some can but he says he is coming in better shape this time.

size

Awards
  • Established
Results fomr the WFA card

RESULTS:
Quinton Jackson def. Matt Lindland by Split Decision, 3 Rounds

Bas Rutten def. Ruben "Warpath" Villareal by TKO at 3:44, Round 1

Lyoto Machida def. Vernon White by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds

Jason Miller def. Loudine Sincaid by Rear Naked Choke at 4:29, Round 1

Ivan Salaverry def. Art Santore by TKO at 4:18, Round 2

Ricco Rodriguez def. Ron Waterman by TKO at 5:00, Round 1

Rob McCullough def. Harris Sarmiento by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds

Jorge Olivera drew with Marvin Eastman, 3 Rounds

Martin Kampmann def. Edwin Aguilar by TKO at 2:43, Round 1

This had some excellent fights. Bas looked very good in his return.

gresh

gresh

Awards
Results fomr the WFA card

RESULTS:
Quinton Jackson def. Matt Lindland by Split Decision, 3 Rounds

Bas Rutten def. Ruben "Warpath" Villareal by TKO at 3:44, Round 1

Lyoto Machida def. Vernon White by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds

Jason Miller def. Loudine Sincaid by Rear Naked Choke at 4:29, Round 1

Ivan Salaverry def. Art Santore by TKO at 4:18, Round 2

Ricco Rodriguez def. Ron Waterman by TKO at 5:00, Round 1

Rob McCullough def. Harris Sarmiento by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds

Jorge Olivera drew with Marvin Eastman, 3 Rounds

Martin Kampmann def. Edwin Aguilar by TKO at 2:43, Round 1

This had some excellent fights. Bas looked very good in his return.
Bas looked great, I cant believe how Warpath took some of those punches to the head. Bas eventually kicked him so hard he couldnt stand up and quit.
I was VERY surprised at the Rampage/Lindland. I thought Rampage was more dominate than that. IMO, Lindland won the fight 29/28. It was amazing how Rampage got out of a full on rear naked choke after about 20 seconds of it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I thought Rampage clearly won, but it was somewhat close. Lindland wants to hug, Rampage wants to go to war. Pretty decent card, hopefully the one in October will be better.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I thought Lindland/Jackson was very close, and was kinda surprised Rampage won. Not upset at the decision, as Jackson is/was one of my favorite fighters...looked a lot better than he has in his more recent Pride Fights...

Bas looked really good. I don't see how "Warpath" took those punches!
I'd like to see Bas fight Liddell...that'd be a good one!

Lyoto/White I thought would be good, boy was I wrong! Boring...

Ricco looked good (even though he gassed early) and considering he was close to 300lbs, he was pretty agile. Maybe he can get into better shape and be a legitimate HW Contender in the future.

Razor didn't look as aggressive as he usually does in his WEC Fights, so that was disappointing...
Salaverry (sp?) look good...still don't know why the UFC let him go (his fight with Nathan M. was boring though)

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Many of the fights were lackluster.
Ricco didn't get to show much. Waterman was also overweight (~285) compared to his normal self and just totally gassed out in the 1st minute and basically KOed himself.
Bas was lucky to get a can like Villareal because he had many injuries coming into the fight including an acl tear.

Rampage-Lindland was the fight of the night and one helluva match. Rampage pressed Lindland throughout the fight and made it exciting which probably got him the nod because he pushed the fight. Lindland was amazing as well and should definitely be the still one of the top guys at 185.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I also agree Bas got lucky with a can,infact everyone they wanted to put him against with the exception of Pele was a can.Not impressed,I will wait until he fights a legit contender,to give him praise.

B4n3 0n3

All Warpath had to do was shoot a takedown on Bas. Bas couldn't sprawl to save his life. Warpath played right into Bas' gameplan.