27 pounds in a week!?

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
being one who does Aikido, we do not have to worry about weight class. IE Steven Segal ( spelling) however.. i was reading that one man cut down 27 pounds in one week...

how the hell did he do that?

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Look at fighters who are using saunas and those crazey sweat suits and dropping 20 plus over night. God imagine dropping it like that and then fighting, course after the weighin they kick the water back in.

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
totally rediculous...but interesting

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, dehydration, ultra low carbing it. In wrestling my teammates used to spit for hours and drop lots of wieght to make class. Definitely would impact strength/endurance though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, dehydration, ultra low carbing it. In wrestling my teammates used to spit for hours and drop lots of wieght to make class. Definitely would impact strength/endurance though.
In the third or fourth episode of The Ultimate Fighter, Ross Pointon went from 199 to 185 in a day. He basically ate low carbs, drank distilled water, and went in a sauna. You have between 24-30 hours after weigh-in to carb up and rehydrate. Most fighters walk around 10-20 lbs heavier than their fighting weight.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
If it's even possible, I'm very skeptical, 27 pounds in 7 days would be dangeously debilatating, one would be critically dehydrated with electrolyte imbalances.

I'm doubly skeptical since it's Seagal, nothing about that guy feels authentic to me.
The Seagal reference is in regards to him being a practitioner of Aikido as in Maynard, and hence he is not accustomed to cutting weight.

Dropping weight is a part of professional fighting and wrestling. Often dominant fighters are able to cut tremendous amounts of weight and fight much smaller guys. Dropping 20lbs is alot but it is not unheard of. 27lbs in 7 days is amazing/insane but I imagine there are some freaks that do it. Lots of weird tricks to lose the weight sweat suits, suana, spitting, etc.

Maynard...This is a little off topic but how is aikido taught to block or deflect kicks? For instance, a thai kick to the thigh?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
buddy of mine dropped 30lbs in 10 days for high school wrestling. during those 10 days, he would wrap himself in plastic garbage bags and go running, his reward - an ice cube. every 3rd day, he'd have an apple and that was it. looked like death after the 10 days were up.

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
well Aikido doesn't hold one true way to deal with any attack. The main thing you have to keep in mind is to use the energy that is being put on to you, and redirect it to the person spending that energy.

If I were to have a situation of a kick to the hip, close in.. say using the right leg to attack me.. i would step back with my left.. either grab the heal with my right hand, soft lock with my left and twist then push him over..... that way i can just put him into a submission hold to deny him any ability to return to his feet and attack again...

some may do it another way..

i uhmm didn't use any aikido jargen.. but if you would like me to.. i will... most people don't know the actions behind the names since all of our classes are taught in japanese only...but you get use to it.

EDIT!!!! wow.. after thinking about it... we would never put ourselves in the position .. the attacker would be long gone in another direction if he came in like that.... but.. IF for some reason it had to happen.. i would happen as stated above... by me

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
what if it was someone like glen, who tried a high kick to your shins?

:D

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
if we have someone short.. and i am unsure on glen's exact hight.. but.. the OkuNoga Shemi would be the best method.. or the Arimi Nuggie.. which is placing your hand on the head of the attacker.. in this case glen.... and keep your arm stiff.. not letting him hit or kick you due to the distance away from your body he is... NOTE... the attacker will continue to try to kick at you.. or punch.. until you lift your hand and he then goes flying forward onto his face

S

size

Awards
  • Established
wafter thinking about it... we would never put ourselves in the position .. the attacker would be long gone in another direction if he came in like that.... but.. IF for some reason it had to happen.. i would happen as stated above... by me
If the attacker displays no energy towards you except for verbal aggression then releases a thai kick then how would you respond? Catching a thai kick from an experienced fighter is no easy task.
Or how would one defend a shoot from a trained fighter?

I really find aikido interesting. It is really a beautiful art form to watch and amazing. However, I wonder about some methods(as I do with all forms of martial arts) as I question whether or not such actions would actually be effective. Maynard please recgonize that this is not an attack on your art form or training, but just my thoughts running on the idea.

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
The first thing.. anyone who is Aikido would be ready. Unless someone is a total nut job and isn't sane, one can tell when someone walks up to you with aggression in their mind and heart even though their body is calm. When you feel that... you move your body to a comfortable distance. If the person keeps following you.. keep walking back until you feel that his actions are not healthy for the balance of the world.. then if he wants to come in, let him in.. then let him on his way ;-)

Now that is the ideal situation. In the case you bring forth to me, though it could happen, it just isn't a very common happening. Thai etc are contact sports ( and very awesome styles of fighting) but Aikido is more of a mental, art of peace that wouldn't ever really be involved with contact sport type fighting. But I will make up a situation where you are on the street, and some girls bf comes up to you because an Aikido student was "hitting" on her uhmm mom. This BF just so happens to be trained in contact sport fighting, in this case Thai. The aikido student lets this man come up to him to less than legs distance from him ( total no no) and get a swift kick in the side. Well.. oh well.. he is hurt! lol It is what happens after that. If the aikido student does what he/she is trained to do... he will refocus, relax his eyes and watch every last limb on that man's body. It is so very easty to detect what body part someone will use to attack you, but if all else fails it is obvious that if you are infront of the attacker.. the attackers energy will be forced forward and for that moment he will be off balance. Knock him over. In Aikido the circle is power. and everything we do is in said shape IE my avatar i am flying over my sensei. and in this case the circle is the space around your body that people may call the "personal bubble" you keep that bubble just out of reach...

Now i know thats lots of chatter but maybe not saying much.. but its really hard to explain an example that really wouldn't or SHOULDN'T ever happen. If anyone is really a true student of Aikido, the training is 90% mental, thinking, and only 10% action. ( hence why we don't need weight limits ;-) and also why i have had my a$$ kicked by a 80 year old woman. Trying to talk about how an Aikido student would react to any sort of contact sport form of fighting is like trying to figure out if a tiger would be able to beat a shark in a fight.. though it could happen.. one would have to totally remove themselves from their natural environment to find out....

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Maynard...thank you for the explanation. I know it is difficult to explain but you have helped. Aikido is such a different form that it is difficult I think for someone to grasp who does not practice it.

M

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
its just such a totally different animal.. aikido is.. i will never say it is the best.. i think all art forms are awesome.. but aikido is the only form i know that what you are doesn't matter...

i talked about the 80 year old woman.. and i was serious.. this frail looking, short, golden girl was a guest instructor and 9 of us tried to attack her.. she threw me around like i was her aborted baby....it is all about the mind and its crazy how much you can do when you take other people's energy

not saying she had one.. but you get my drift

S

size

Awards
  • Established
ii will never say it is the best.. i think all art forms are awesome..
I agree with you. I do not think any one way is the best. Most individuals will assume "their" way is the best, but this is not a fair or impartial way to approach the subject.

Last edited:
E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
First off, I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's martial art or TMA in general but they seem to have severe limitations. I've seen the aikido demonstrations where 7 guys (200lbs+) charge one person usually someone who weighs 120. They always charge with thier arms ****ed back telegraphign a punch. The aikido practioneer redirects their energy with ease throwing aside. But I never see them attack with leg kicks or go for shoots without charging. Sure flying kicks and dive tackles are easy to divert, but who really attacks in this manner. Any competant fighter isn't going to close distance in a manner like that, and they aren't going to telegraph their strikes like that. Also it seems like aikido practioneers keep a wide base so they can redirect their opponent's energy easier. But this limits their mobility and leaves they susceptible to a shoot.

I also find it hard to believe you can block or redirect punches so easily. It's not so easy to discern where a punch is going to land as you can change its angle mid punch with relative ease, much less a barrage of strikes, at least from my experience. Granted I've never seen an aikido practioneer initiate strikes so it might be easier to block when you don't have to worry about throwing strikes.

There's no Aikido dojos around here and I've never gotten to spar with anyone with adequate Aikido training so I may have gross misconceptions about this art. And perhaps my skepticism is due to my own limitations. Given all my training I still find it hard to deflect strikes or avoid or initiate takedowns or throws.

B

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will share with you the secret strategy to defeat any Aikidoka.

You approach him will all the humility you can possibly muster. And you bow to him and say,"O Sensei, number one. Steven Seagull, garbage!" :study: As soon as he grins in approval, you give it to him in the nads. :nutkick: :hammer:

B

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First off, I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's martial art or TMA in general but they seem to have severe limitations. I've seen the aikido demonstrations where 7 guys (200lbs+) charge one person usually someone who weighs 120. They always charge with thier arms ****ed back telegraphign a punch. The aikido practioneer redirects their energy with ease throwing aside. But I never see them attack with leg kicks or go for shoots without charging. Sure flying kicks and dive tackles are easy to divert, but who really attacks in this manner. Any competant fighter isn't going to close distance in a manner like that, and they aren't going to telegraph their strikes like that. Also it seems like aikido practioneers keep a wide base so they can redirect their opponent's energy easier. But this limits their mobility and leaves they susceptible to a shoot.

I also find it hard to believe you can block or redirect punches so easily. It's not so easy to discern where a punch is going to land as you can change its angle mid punch with relative ease, much less a barrage of strikes, at least from my experience. Granted I've never seen an aikido practioneer initiate strikes so it might be easier to block when you don't have to worry about throwing strikes.

There's no Aikido dojos around here and I've never gotten to spar with anyone with adequate Aikido training so I may have gross misconceptions about this art. And perhaps my skepticism is due to my own limitations. Given all my training I still find it hard to deflect strikes or avoid or initiate takedowns or throws.
Not to steal MaynardMeek's thunder here, but the demo you tend to see is just that, a demo of Aikido principles and techniques. When it comes to real combat, which the Aikidoka attempts to avoid at best he or she can, the Aikodoka make heavy use of footwork to get out of the way and redirect your momemtum. Footwork and movement is life. Without footwork and movement, the Aikidoka is dead meat.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A little off of the above guys' off topic posts, but at UFC 57 Joe Diesel Riggs was said to have weighed in at 170 and was walking around the next day around 200! I don't know how how much he lost and how quickly, but that's ridiculous anyway that you look at it!

Joe Rogan referred to him as the incredible shrinking man (Riggs has fought at as big as 300lbs).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A little off of the above guys' off topic posts, but at UFC 57 Joe Diesel Riggs was said to have weighed in at 170 and was walking around the next day around 200! I don't know how how much he lost and how quickly, but that's ridiculous anyway that you look at it!

Joe Rogan referred to him as the incredible shrinking man (Riggs has fought at as big as 300lbs).
Riggs did not make weight for that fight...I dont know exactly what he weighed but the fight was non-title since Riggs was too heavy.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought the fight before that was the one that he didn't make weight. I'm talking about the one where he fought Nick Diaz...I was pretty ripped that night though, so it I don't doubt that my memory is off. Thanks for the info...guess I got all excited about nothing.

Edit: Now that I think about it though...I don't think the Diaz fight was a title fight. Are you thinking about the Riggs vs Hughes fight? That was Riggs' fight before the one in which I am referring to (UFC 56). Now I've confused myself...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought the fight before that was the one that he didn't make weight. I'm talking about the one where he fought Nick Diaz...I was pretty ripped that night though, so it I don't doubt that my memory is off. Thanks for the info...guess I got all excited about nothing.

Edit: Now that I think about it though...I don't think the Diaz fight was a title fight. Are you thinking about the Riggs vs Hughes fight? That was Riggs' fight before the one in which I am referring to (UFC 56). Now I've confused myself...
Yeah it was UFC 56 that I was talking about...my bad.