Awards
  • Established
What are your picks for UFC 59?
I'm taking Arlovski and Griffen.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Babalu/Liddell is scheduled. Babalu is fighting Marvin eastman at 60. I think Forrest has a decent shot, at least if its the Tito that showed up to fight Cote.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Arlovski
Griffin
Sherk

That's all I really care about.

O

opks22

Awards
Tito and AA for me as well. I don't really understand what the hype is about Griffen, I think Tito will literally walk right through him. Plus, Rogue is right, I am waiting for another ridiculous beating of old shams in July...

R

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Randy Couture has been working with Forrest, thinks that Forrest can escape Tito's takedowns and win, we shall see. Randy will be in Forrest's corner. He speculates that Tito is vunerable by being an overly emotional fighter, who will lose his mental cool if he's initally unsuccessful but I think Tito has matured beyond that.

People on Sherdog were speculating that Tito had intimidated Forrest at the weigh-ins, but I personally doubt it.

I would think that if Jeff Monson does well tonight, he'll be Arlovski's next fight.
Also Forrest was going to work with Liddell the last 2 weeks before the show.I think this is going to be the fight of the night.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Babalu/Liddell is scheduled. Babalu is fighting Marvin eastman at 60. I think Forrest has a decent shot, at least if its the Tito that showed up to fight Cote.
Babalu/Eastman is off for UFC 60. Which is actually good, I think Babalu/Liddell will happen at 61 in August~!

T

tattoopierced1

Andrei and Tito. Personally, I dont think Griffen can stand with Tito's power, and I'm not a big Tito fan either...I think this time he is biting off more than he can chew...Tito def. has the experience of fighting better fighters in the UFC...

R

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:wtf: AA Gets TKOed By sylvia,and Tito wins:blink:

J

jsutter55

Awards
Well ripped.. I gotta admit that after tonight, I do have a lot more concern about Arlovski. My gut tells me that his chin is suspect, but it's impossible to gauge what kind of shot he took. No matter how hard it was thrown, he walked straight into it.

Sentimentally, I want to put this in the "any given Sunday" category like Crocop's loss to Randleman... but there's not much room for excuses. AA had the fight in the bag and should never have let Sylvia back up.

Sylvia, on the other hand, gets HUGE props from me for taking the shot from AA and getting back up to fight. I almost forgot that he wanted to continue fighting Mir after his arm was broken. Like I said before... One tough S.O.B.!!

The rubber match will settle it for me.

I think the Tito/Griffin fight could have gone either way. Tito looked dominant in the first round, but he definitely seemed to back off the throttle in the 2nd and 3rd. Hard to believe he was gassing, and if he REALLY did have back and knee injuries to contend with... that might explain a lot. I do agree that Griffin is definitely a legitimate fighter at that level.. doesn't matter HOW he got there. He deserves to be in the ring with those caliber of fighters.

So just one question left...

Who's going to start the Matt Hughes/Royce Gracie thread??

Cheers! :cheers:

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am HUGELY disappointed in Arlovski. Som'***** took a shot then LAID DOWN and let Sylvia pound him from his back. He didn't even try to stand up after it happened.

Unbelievable.

R

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am HUGELY disappointed in Arlovski. Som'***** took a shot then LAID DOWN and let Sylvia pound him from his back. He didn't even try to stand up after it happened.

Unbelievable.
Like jsutter said anyman on any day,AA is still the better fighter if there is a rubber match i doubt this will happen again.

J

jsutter55

Awards

Unbelievable.
I won't say I'm not disappointed... I am, but you bring up a very salient point. Why didn't Arlovski try to stand up or defend himself intelligently on the ground?

Because he was poleaxed by the shot from Sylvia! Sylvia was able to recover.... and Arlovski was not. Simple as that.

That could mean one of two things:

1. It was the right shot, right time, right place and ANYONE can go to sleep if that happens.

2. Arlovski doesn't have the chin to survive the big shot. Hit him hard and he'll fold like a lawn chair.

If it's the first case, I agree with ripped... Arlovski will avenge a "fluke shot" in the rubber match.

If it's the second case.... that would be a shame. You can't "teach" a granite chin, and his chin WILL be tested from now on. Any prospective MMA heavyweight that was watching that fight has a new strategy for Arlovski after last night.

Interesting development....

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say that Arlo was poleaxed. The shot did not appear to be very solid or at least, not as solid as Arlo's shot that knocked Sylvia down.

Furthermore, he was still "with it" enough to know to put his hand up to block Sylvia's punches to his head, yet he simply laid there and made no attempt to get back up. If you're with it enough to know that you're in danger and therefore try to block punches, then it's within the same level of cognition to tell yourself to stand the **** up, especially from the position he was in. He wasn't even on his back!

It just looked a lot more like he suddenly gave up and stopped trying, rather than he was knocked out.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if you guys have ever been punched in the chin to the point of getting rocked but let me tell you something, the muscles around your spine stiffen up and there, sometimes, is NO getting up. Everyone's chin is suspect to a degree if they get caught with the right shot, unawares. Doesn't even take that much force.
As for Griffen, I think he shut alot of people up! Once it occurred to him that he might want to sprawl from time to time, the fight turned around. He, ultimately, took Tito's main weapon away. I think the crowd sucked for boo'ing Tito but I guess he had it coming, considering his previous behavior. The decision could've gone either way, but I think Tito was the victor. Props to Griffen for recognizing that and being a gentleman about it.

I've got to say that this was the most exciting UFC I've seen in a while and both my girl and I were standing up and screaming throughout those 2 fights. LOL

R

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't know if you guys have ever been punched in the chin to the point of getting rocked but let me tell you something, the muscles around your spine stiffen up and there, sometimes, is NO getting up. Everyone's chin is suspect to a degree if they get caught with the right shot, unawares. Doesn't even take that much force.
As for Griffen, I think he shut alot of people up! Once it occurred to him that he might want to sprawl from time to time, the fight turned around. He, ultimately, took Tito's main weapon away. I think the crowd sucked for boo'ing Tito but I guess he had it coming, considering his previous behavior. The decision could've gone either way, but I think Tito was the victor. Props to Griffen for recognizing that and being a gentleman about it.

I've got to say that this was the most exciting UFC I've seen in a while and both my girl and I were standing up and screaming throughout those 2 fights. LOL
Very true if anyman takes a good enough shot to the chin it is lights out,I have known Griffen was the real deal before he was even in TUF,when he fought Jeremy Horn in the IFC he gave jeremy a good run until he got kicked in the head,then it was lights out.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I know what you're saying, Bionic, but I still don't understand it. Sylvia took a harder shot and was able stand back up from his back. Arlo takes a softer shot and can't even get back to his knees from his stomach.

Just seems like he could have at least TRIED to get back up instead of just lay down and throw his hand up.

Oh, and to everyone who slept on Sherk's standup game, what now, fawkers?! :twisted:

J

jsutter55

Awards
I know what you're saying, Bionic, but I still don't understand it. Sylvia took a harder shot and was able stand back up from his back. Arlo takes a softer shot and can't even get back to his knees from his stomach.

Just seems like he could have at least TRIED to get back up instead of just lay down and throw his hand up.

Oh, and to everyone who slept on Sherk's standup game, what now, fawkers?! :twisted:
I was thinking the same thing as I watched in shock.... but Bionic is right.... Just because the shot LOOKED softer doesn't mean it wasn't on the button. Plus, if you look at the replay, AA's momentum carried him face-first right into the punch. I think we still have to consider the possibility that AA's chin might be a bit on the glassy side. He may not physically be able to take a big shot like Sylvia and still recover. Also, it could be that AA putting his hand up to cover his head was more of a weak "survival reflex" than a sign that he was in control of his faculties and trying to defend himself.

Agree on the Griffin match. He did show a lot of class when he said he lost the last round after the takedown. I think Tito's prior behavior has cemented his reputation as an a$$hole. He may not deserve it NOW, but he went so far to earn his reputation as the "Bad Boy" that there's no turning back now. He just comes off as insincere now when he's trying to be cool. Despite the little rift they have going on TUF3 about him spending too much time with Matt Hamil, everyone there seems to acknowledge that he's an OK guy in real life.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Awesome UFC. I can't believe that Rogan said sherk vs. diaz was a close fight. Sherk schooled him the entire fight. He's going to kill everyone at 155.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Awesome UFC. I can't believe that Rogan said sherk vs. diaz was a close fight. Sherk schooled him the entire fight. He's going to kill everyone at 155.
Yeah, Sherk had excellent stand up.

I just wish he could have picked up Diaz and slammed him just once, but Diaz was well prepared for that, as he should have been. If Sherk had ever gotten a solid hold on Diaz, homeboy would have been stomped through the mat.

Honestly, I wish he would stay at 170. Now that he's been around the block fighting more A-level guys, I want to see a rematch with Hughes. He's ready to win now.

R

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Sherk had excellent stand up.

I just wish he could have picked up Diaz and slammed him just once, but Diaz was well prepared for that, as he should have been. If Sherk had ever gotten a solid hold on Diaz, homeboy would have been stomped through the mat.

Honestly, I wish he would stay at 170. Now that he's been around the block fighting more A-level guys, I want to see a rematch with Hughes. He's ready to win now.
Highly unlikely not since GSP beat his face in,I say give him to penn see how he does and then maybe after GSP and hughes fight,he might get a chance.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Sherk vs. Penn would be good to see.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Sherk seems to be getting even better with each fight. I could see him beating Hughes this time around also. However I think 9 times out of 10 GSP beats him, because its a bad style match up.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fbx, from the back, you look about as big as Sherk. :blink:

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Fbx, from the back, you look about as big as Sherk. :blink:
lol, i dont know about that. Hopefully i'll be around sherk's size in a couple years though. He's got a really cool build, and he's about the same height as me (he's 5'6", i'm 5'7").