Silvia talks about rematch w/ Arlovski

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed the part where Sylvia said he'd match Arlovski's speed...haha, that's funny.
Sylvia seems too uncoordinated, he just lumbers around the octagon.
Sure he has a slight chance, but I'm seeing first round KO by Arlovski.

jsutter55

Awards
I have to agree with EESCHMan. If Sylvia is going to win this fight (and I personally don't think he will) he's not going to do it by "matching" Arlovski's speed. Arlovski isn't just "quick for a big guy". He's as quick or quicker than guys 50-75 lbs. lighter.

The only way Sylvia can win, as I see it, is by being patient. He's going to have to wait for Arlovski to overcommit and then do his best to capitalize on it, a' la Pedro Rizzo.

I think this is an advantage for Arlovski either way. If Sylvia tries to "match his speed", he's likely to get tagged again when his speed falls woefully short. If he tries to wait and counter Arlovski, he'll probably be overwhelmed by Arlovski's offense.

Not taking anything away from Sylvia. He's one tough S.O.B.!

I might jinx him for saying this, but I think Arlovski is at the top of his game right now. I want to see him fight someone like CroCop or Fedor because I don't think he has a challenger of that caliber waiting in the wings of the UFC. At least not right now.

Cheers! :cheers:

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have to agree with EESCHMan. If Sylvia is going to win this fight (and I personally don't think he will) he's not going to do it by "matching" Arlovski's speed. Arlovski isn't just "quick for a big guy". He's as quick or quicker than guys 50-75 lbs. lighter.

The only way Sylvia can win, as I see it, is by being patient. He's going to have to wait for Arlovski to overcommit and then do his best to capitalize on it, a' la Pedro Rizzo.

I think this is an advantage for Arlovski either way. If Sylvia tries to "match his speed", he's likely to get tagged again when his speed falls woefully short. If he tries to wait and counter Arlovski, he'll probably be overwhelmed by Arlovski's offense.

Not taking anything away from Sylvia. He's one tough S.O.B.!

I might jinx him for saying this, but I think Arlovski is at the top of his game right now. I want to see him fight someone like CroCop or Fedor because I don't think he has a challenger of that caliber waiting in the wings of the UFC. At least not right now.

I believe Cro Cop is retired no? I would like to see Fedor vs Arlovski as well as every other MMA fan in the world.

I pick Tito and Arlovski

opks22

Awards
I also believe both Tito and Arlovski will win. In my opinion, Sylvia hasn't been all that impressive since he tested "positive." Yes, he had that impressive knockout with Tre "One pec," but otherwise, i don't think he has been that great. Although, I don't really know who else in the UFC would be a good contender against Arlovski, i don't see him losing for quite a while. Here's to looking forward to this weekend. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe Cro Cop is retired no? I would like to see Fedor vs Arlovski as well as every other MMA fan in the world.

I pick Tito and Arlovski
CroCop is not retired, I think he is fighting Minowa in the next PayPerView.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CroCop is not retired, I think he is fighting Minowa in the next PayPerView.
According to Pitbull's link CropCop is in the next Pride PPV.

And holy **** Grassroots...I watch MMA almost on a daily basis and I never even thought about Fedor vs Arlovski. That would be an all out war to say the least. I think the closest thing UFC could have offered to that would have been Mir, but I'm not so sure about him now since his accident. He just doesn't seem the same.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wake up, son, it's time for school.
Rizzo ****in destroyed Arlovski,Cro Crop stand up is more complete than arvloski,and while the fedor v. cro crop was good cro crop still got dominated.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rizzo ****in destroyed Arlovski
Why yes, yes he did.

A little over four years ago.

Since then, the best anybody has been able to do is go a little over four minutes with the guy. Needless to say, he ain't the same fighter he was back then: he's much, much better now.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why yes, yes he did.

A little over four years ago.

Since then, the best anybody has been able to do is go a little over four minutes with the guy. Needless to say, he ain't the same fighter he was back then: he's much, much better now.
Are we talking about the same ufc heavyweight division,oh yeah he dominated Eilers big whoop,Buentello,another big whoop,Tim sylvia is over****ing rated his ground skills ****ing suck even if he is with Miletich,The heavy weigth division in Ufc is about as good as the 49er's in football.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree that the UFC heavyweight division is fairly ****ty, but that is beside the point I was making.

You said that Rizzo beat Arlovski, and he did, but my point is that was over four years ago and is not valid because Arlovski is a MUCH better fighter today.

He could definitely bang with CroCop or Fedor and at the least, hold his own. Personally, as I said before, I think he'd beat both of them, but that's just me.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree that the UFC heavyweight division is fairly ****ty, but that is beside the point I was making.

You said that Rizzo beat Arlovski, and he did, but my point is that was over four years ago and is not valid because Arlovski is a MUCH better fighter today.

He could definitely bang with CroCop or Fedor and at the least, hold his own. Personally, as I said before, I think he'd beat both of them, but that's just me.
I agree he has definetly improved especially his hands,IMO i think he could bang with cro crop,i dont know about beating him,But again IMO i think fedor would just overwhelm him.But thats cool because thats what makes us different,i am sorry if i came off as hostile,it's just i am a big fan of fedor and i favor pride over ufc

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Arlovski would stand much of a chance against Fedor. I mean AA is used to fighting Buentello and Eilers. And then he has to jump in with Fedor. That's like playing D2 college football and then being thrown into the NFL. Fedor fights the best in the world and handles them relatively easily. AA is no slouch, but he needs to fight a few A class fighters before he thinks of messing with The Last Emperor.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
To me, Silvia has some skills, but he's not good enough on skill alone. He's surrounded by great people and that's a plus, but I think he's all size. Not to say that that's a bad thing, but it's not enough.

Arlovski is a great fighter, but as long as he stays away from Pride the argument will go on forever. My opinion is that Pride should throw a gorilla, as in an actual ape, into the ring with Fedor. That would be a great matchup.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Now one guy I think we can all agree on that would get torn up in Pride is Chuck Liddell. Quinton Jackson tore him up a few years ago, and quite honestly, I don't think Chuck has improved much since then. I still think Jackson would whoop his ass.

Most people just THINK Chuck has improved simply because he beat a Randy Couture that was way past his prime. Chuck is a great fighter but to this day I don't think he can beat Jackson, so forget Silva.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now one guy I think we can all agree on that would get torn up in Pride is Chuck Liddell. Quinton Jackson tore him up a few years ago, and quite honestly, I don't think Chuck has improved much since then. I still think Jackson would whoop his ass.

Most people just THINK Chuck has improved simply because he beat a Randy Couture that was way past his prime. Chuck is a great fighter but to this day I don't think he can beat Jackson, so forget Silva.
Chuck was not ready for that fight. Supposedly, Rampage is coming to UFC to fight Chuck down the road. I think that Chuck has improved his striking since their fight a few years back and the octagon will alter Rampages strategy for the fight.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That would be VERY interesting if Rampage comes to the Octagon.

Chuck's striking has improved somewhat, but he still relies heavily on counterpunching. Too heavily, IMO. Quinton, on the other hand, is an in-your-face striker and very strong. Quinton will push the pace, while Chuck will look for openings, so I think it would play out exactly like their first fight. Chuck's style just does not bode well, IMO, with Quinton's style.

My prediction if Rampage comes to the UFC: a new light heavyweight champion. :)

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think Rampage's ability has somewhat diminished ever since he broke hiss hand and lost 3 in a row to the knees,2 from silva,1 from shogun,since then he really has not been the same fighter,and lately he has been fighting some tomato cans ,so we cant really gauge where he is,i think if he were to fight liddell again,IMO it is too tough to call.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To me, Silvia has some skills, but he's not good enough on skill alone. He's surrounded by great people and that's a plus, but I think he's all size. Not to say that that's a bad thing, but it's not enough.

Arlovski is a great fighter, but as long as he stays away from Pride the argument will go on forever. My opinion is that Pride should throw a gorilla, as in an actual ape, into the ring with Fedor. That would be a great matchup.
Fedor by brutal ground and pound.:rofl:

jsutter55

Awards
OK... I gotta jump in here. :lol:

Rogue Drone - Well stated!

"but anyone that big who moves as well as he does is dangerous."

So true because MMA is the epitome of an "any given Sunday" sport. Who thought Gomi was gonna get choked out in Bushido 10, right? I think the notion that Fedor would "destroy" Arlovski is a bit of a hasty conclusion. Fedor didn't "destroy" CroCop (Just to be sure I went back and watched it before I made this post :study: )
I certainly feel that Arlovski is in the same league with CroCop and Fedor and if you throw them in a blender it's anybody's fight. I think you could fairly give an "edge" to Fedor since he has faced quality opposition, but "destroy" is just too strong.

Comparing Arlovski today to four years ago when Rizzo beat him is ludicrous. (Lack of quality opposition notwithstanding). I don't care much for Tito Ortiz, but to say that he's the same fighter today as he was when he got guillotined by Guy Mezger is pretty much the same argument.

It just doesn't apply.

I also agree with Rogue Drone on my hopes for the outcome of this bout. The UFC heavyweight division is a bit sparse on talent at present. (Kinda reminds one of the heavyweight division in boxing... but that's another thread). If Arlovski dominates Sylvia, I also think that Dana White needs to step up the talent search or they're going to have to keep branding these shows as "Co-Main events". The fact is, Arlovski/Sylvia II can't match the excitement of Ortiz/Griffin.

Who here is gonna cough up for Arlovski/Buentello II or Arlovski/Sylvia III if the undercard doesn't have a stronger match?

Cheers :cheers:

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK... I gotta jump in here. :lol:

Rogue Drone - Well stated!

"but anyone that big who moves as well as he does is dangerous."

So true because MMA is the epitome of an "any given Sunday" sport. Who thought Gomi was gonna get choked out in Bushido 10, right? I think the notion that Fedor would "destroy" Arlovski is a bit of a hasty conclusion. Fedor didn't "destroy" CroCop (Just to be sure I went back and watched it before I made this post :study: )
I certainly feel that Arlovski is in the same league with CroCop and Fedor and if you throw them in a blender it's anybody's fight. I think you could fairly give an "edge" to Fedor since he has faced quality opposition, but "destroy" is just too strong.

Comparing Arlovski today to four years ago when Rizzo beat him is ludicrous. (Lack of quality opposition notwithstanding). I don't care much for Tito Ortiz, but to say that he's the same fighter today as he was when he got guillotined by Guy Mezger is pretty much the same argument.

It just doesn't apply.

I also agree with Rogue Drone on my hopes for the outcome of this bout. The UFC heavyweight division is a bit sparse on talent at present. (Kinda reminds one of the heavyweight division in boxing... but that's another thread). If Arlovski dominates Sylvia, I also think that Dana White needs to step up the talent search or they're going to have to keep branding these shows as "Co-Main events". The fact is, Arlovski/Sylvia II can't match the excitement of Ortiz/Griffin.

Who here is gonna cough up for Arlovski/Buentello II or Arlovski/Sylvia III if the undercard doesn't have a stronger match?

Cheers :cheers:
Gomi has always been weak on the ground just watch the penn and hansen fights,while fedor has shown no weakness not even after being grand suplexed by randlemen on his head.Like i said cro crop v.fedor was good but in no way was it close.

jsutter55

Awards
I wasn't really trying to make an argument for Gomi's invincibility, and the reason Fedor has shown no weakness is because nobody has been able to exploit whatever weakness he might have up to this point.

But it's only a matter of time.

The actual side point that I was trying to make was just this: At their level, any fighter can beat any other fighter on any given day. The first CroCop vs. Randleman fight was kinda what I had in mind. I think CroCop is a vastly superior fighter.... but he went "sleepy-night-night" nonetheless.

I just watched Fedor vs. CroCop again and I still don't see the argument for Fedor "destroying" Arlovski because he didn't "destroy" CroCop. I think one can solidly make the case that Arlovski belongs in the same upper echelon of fighters as CroCop and Fedor. Having said that, I do think Fedor won the match with CroCop. He dictated the pace and direction of the fight (even though he looked worse at the end), but he didn't "destroy" CroCop.

Vitor Belfort "destroyed" Wanderlei Silva
Four years ago, Pedro Rizzo "destroyed" Arlovski
Chuck Liddell "destroyed" Tito Ortiz
Georges St. Pierre "destroyed" Sean Sherk

I still say it's anybody's match with the edge going to Fedor for having faced top quality opposition. "Destroy" Arlovski.... I don't think so...but I would pay GOOD MONEY to see it!!

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I wasn't really trying to make an argument for Gomi's invincibility, and the reason Fedor has shown no weakness is because nobody has been able to exploit whatever weakness he might have up to this point.

But it's only a matter of time.

The actual side point that I was trying to make was just this: At their level, any fighter can beat any other fighter on any given day. The first CroCop vs. Randleman fight was kinda what I had in mind. I think CroCop is a vastly superior fighter.... but he went "sleepy-night-night" nonetheless.

I just watched Fedor vs. CroCop again and I still don't see the argument for Fedor "destroying" Arlovski because he didn't "destroy" CroCop. I think one can solidly make the case that Arlovski belongs in the same upper echelon of fighters as CroCop and Fedor. Having said that, I do think Fedor won the match with CroCop. He dictated the pace and direction of the fight (even though he looked worse at the end), but he didn't "destroy" CroCop.

Vitor Belfort "destroyed" Wanderlei Silva
Four years ago, Pedro Rizzo "destroyed" Arlovski
Chuck Liddell "destroyed" Tito Ortiz
Georges St. Pierre "destroyed" Sean Sherk

I still say it's anybody's match with the edge going to Fedor for having faced top quality opposition. "Destroy" Arlovski.... I don't think so...but I would pay GOOD MONEY to see it!!

True i agree anyman can be hurt it just takes the right man,but to say that nobody has exploited his weakness,who will he has fought the top HW's in the world from one of the best submission if not best submission HW,Big Nog dominating all three fights at least up until he got cut in the 2nd fight,To one of the best strikers, cro crop,I think at least in pride he is done showing who has the ability to show any of his weaknesses if he has any(which i have yet to see)on the other hand i think it is AA weaknesses who have not been exploited,Due to the crappy HW class in the ufc,so if any man has to prove something it is AA not Fedor,but i do agree it would still be nice to see them fight,even if Fedor kicks his ass.:icon_lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Fedor didn't destroy Crocop, but I think Crocop(and Fedor)would beat Arlovski relatively easily. Crocop would dominate the standup and AA would not be able to take him to the ground. So just because Fedor didn't destroy Crocop doesn't mean he wouldn't handle AA. I just see Fedor landing some lunging blows and then taking AA down, and AA not being able to handle Fedor's brutal ground game. If the fight between AA and Fedor ever occurs I'd like to put down some serious money against these people that beleive in Arlovski so heavily.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah Fedor didn't destroy Crocop, but I think Crocop(and Fedor)would beat Arlovski relatively easily. Crocop would dominate the standup and AA would not be able to take him to the ground. So just because Fedor didn't destroy Crocop doesn't mean he wouldn't handle AA. I just see Fedor landing some lunging blows and then taking AA down, and AA not being able to handle Fedor's brutal ground game. If the fight between AA and Fedor ever occurs I'd like to put down some serious money against these people that beleive in Arlovski so heavily.
I would be put in the pot for Fedor if they ever fought.

jsutter55

Awards
Doesn't it suck that all we can do is speculate? It's too bad the UFC and Pride aren't like the AFC and NFC in the National Football League. Then they would all have to fight each other and we wouldn't have to do the "who would win if Bruce Lee fought Royce Gracie" thing. Ha! Ha!

Speaking of leagues.... has anybody seen this yet?

http://www.internationalfightleague.com/

It's scheduled for April 29th.

Hmmm... that link isn't breaking any rules is it? I'll check back and edit it out if necessary.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't it suck that all we can do is speculate? It's too bad the UFC and Pride aren't like the AFC and NFC in the National Football League. Then they would all have to fight each other and we wouldn't have to do the "who would win if Bruce Lee fought Royce Gracie" thing. Ha! Ha!

Speaking of leagues.... has anybody seen this yet?

http://www.internationalfightleague.com/

It's scheduled for April 29th.

Hmmm... that link isn't breaking any rules is it? I'll check back and edit it out if necessary.

Yeah, I've seen that and I know Dana wasn't too happy about Pat being one of the coaches.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I guess we were all kind of wrong, huh.

jsutter55

Awards
Yeah... flip over to the Co-main events thread for a crow-eatin'-Arlovski-bashin' good ole time!

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I guess we were all kind of wrong, huh.
Yup. When Arlovski hit Sylvia with the huge right I thought it was over. I have no idea how recovered from that shot so fast.
Then, Arlovski threw that punch from a mile away and got caught.
Of course now everyone says how Fedor will kill him, but of course Fedor was almost knocked out by Fujita...anyone can be knocked out, it's just who lands the best shot first.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yup. When Arlovski hit Sylvia with the huge right I thought it was over. I have no idea how recovered from that shot so fast.
Then, Arlovski threw that punch from a mile away and got caught.
Of course now everyone says how Fedor will kill him, but of course Fedor was almost knocked out by Fujita...anyone can be knocked out, it's just who lands the best shot first.
Yes fujita rocked Fedor,but in the next millisecond fedor drops him with a left hook and jumps on him to secure a RNC,so almost knocked out no,rocked for a split second yes.

size

Awards
  • Established
Yes fujita rocked Fedor,but in the next millisecond fedor drops him with a left hook and jumps on him to secure a RNC,so almost knocked out no,rocked for a split second yes.
It was the liver kick that made Fujita topple, the hook just helped him fall ;)
LIVER KICK :nutkick:

It is always fun to have these discussions but as we all know, in the professional world of fighting anyone can put anyone down with the right punch or kick. With that said, my pick will always be Fedor until someone proves me wrong.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
It was the liver kick that made Fujita topple, the hook just helped him fall ;)
LIVER KICK :nutkick:

It is always fun to have these discussions but as we all know, in the professional world of fighting anyone can put anyone down with the right punch or kick. With that said, my pick will always be Fedor until someone proves me wrong.
agreed. fedor is ridiculous.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
ARlovski has a glass chin, it was evident in his fight with Rizzo and even in his first fight with Datsik. Andrei did walk into the punch like Lawler did with Diaz thus amplifying the effect but the fact remains he has a weak chin. Sylvia's chin is obviously a lot better and thus it is stupid to fight another solid striker when you're chin is much weaker. Arlovski would dominate Tim on the ground and should have taken it there instead of banging with Tim. He had a poor gameplan and it cost him.

Fedor on the other hand knows his opponents' weaknesses and executes a gameplan accordingly. This is why he doesn't lose. Look at the Crocop fight. If you watch Mirko's k-1 fights he doesn't do well when he's pressured, but likes to trade shots. Crocop has a good takedown defense so you can't jsut shoot in without setting it up. The Coleman fight proved this. So Fedor pressed Mirko and kept him backpedaling taking Mirko out of his game. He dominated the fight and Crocop was lost after the first round. Fedor fights intelligently and is why he is so dominate.

Congrats to Tim and the Miletich camp, they recognized Arlovski's weakness and executed a gameplan accordingly.

ripped218

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ARlovski has a glass chin, it was evident in his fight with Rizzo and even in his first fight with Datsik. Andrei did walk into the punch like Lawler did with Diaz thus amplifying the effect but the fact remains he has a weak chin. Sylvia's chin is obviously a lot better and thus it is stupid to fight another solid striker when you're chin is much weaker. Arlovski would dominate Tim on the ground and should have taken it there instead of banging with Tim. He had a poor gameplan and it cost him.

Fedor on the other hand knows his opponents' weaknesses and executes a gameplan accordingly. This is why he doesn't lose. Look at the Crocop fight. If you watch Mirko's k-1 fights he doesn't do well when he's pressured, but likes to trade shots. Crocop has a good takedown defense so you can't jsut shoot in without setting it up. The Coleman fight proved this. So Fedor pressed Mirko and kept him backpedaling taking Mirko out of his game. He dominated the fight and Crocop was lost after the first round. Fedor fights intelligently and is why he is so dominate.

Congrats to Tim and the Miletich camp, they recognized Arlovski's weakness and executed a gameplan accordingly.
The best post i have seen so far.:bow28:

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, Arlovski is overrated.
His chin is definitely suspect. He got KTFO by one punch from Datsik and Rizzo. Then Ricco got a ref stop in the mount iirc. The punch that Arlovski took from Sylvia didn't look that hard but he dropped pretty easily.

As for Fedor, the Pride champ's judo credentials and performance in MMA far surpasses anything Arlovski has on the ground.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
...Congrats to Tim and the Miletich camp, they recognized Arlovski's weakness and executed a gameplan accordingly.
Are you kidding?? Silvia just got rocked and was in survival mode when he caught Arlovski with that punch... That was more luck than execution of a gameplan. Their fight was way too short to make that kind of claim...

I think Arlovski has great tools in his arsenal but his weak chin would get him KO'd pretty quick if he ever fought the likes of CroCop or Fedor.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Are you kidding?? Silvia just got rocked and was in survival mode when he caught Arlovski with that punch... That was more luck than execution of a gameplan. Their fight was way too short to make that kind of claim...

I think Arlovski has great tools in his arsenal but his weak chin would get him KO'd pretty quick if he ever fought the likes of CroCop or Fedor.
Of course it was a lucky punch but Tim said if they stood he would eventually catch Andrei and he did. This fight was 3 times longer than the first and perhaps still too short. But Andrei should have tried taking it to the ground. Arvloski is the most well rounded fighter in the UFC's hw div but he should fight more intelligently.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
Of course it was a lucky punch but Tim said if they stood he would eventually catch Andrei and he did. This fight was 3 times longer than the first and perhaps still too short. But Andrei should have tried taking it to the ground. Arvloski is the most well rounded fighter in the UFC's hw div but he should fight more intelligently.
Every fighter thinks that he'll eventually catch his opponent and knock him out... I don't want to take anything away from Silvia cuz i think he's a good fighter and a win is a win, i just think his win wasn't about planning as much as it was Arlovski getting sloppy. Can't wait for the re-match...