Shogun vs. The Hammer

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This upcoming pride looks a bit weak by pride standards. Still I'm sure it will be entertaining. Who do you guys think will win Shogun or Coleman. I'm taking Shogun by ref stoppage 1st round. Any Coleman fans, or anyone think Coleman will win. I just see Coleman getting tired fast and Rua taking advantage, or Rua picking him apart on his feet. Either way I think Coleman is in trouble.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Pride31 sucks on paper. It has a bunch of big names but the matchups are bad. UFC58 by comparison has 2 good fights which have alot of value then a rest of junky matches.

The big problem I have with Pride31 is that the fights lack meaning. What does it mean if Shogun/Coleman win or lose?

This card is filled with test matches for the OpenweightGP. If this event is a flop, hopefully DSE will pull the Open concept.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I also think Shogun will win in the 1st. Shogun has look amazing lately, and Coleman has looked like crap. I don't think this card looks that bad though. I'm looking forward to Kharitanov and Overeem, even though I'm pretty sure Khairtonov will smoke him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Pride31 sucks on paper. It has a bunch of big names but the matchups are bad. UFC58 by comparison has 2 good fights which have alot of value then a rest of junky matches.

The big problem I have with Pride31 is that the fights lack meaning. What does it mean if Shogun/Coleman win or lose?

This card is filled with test matches for the OpenweightGP. If this event is a flop, hopefully DSE will pull the Open concept.
I hear you. If they switched up the match-ups it could be a great card with the fighters involved. I love Rampage, but I don't want to see him fight Yoon Dik or whatever, thats a joke. Nog against Tamura, come on. Rizzo/Zentsov should be fun. Olav Einemo/Werdum should be a good ground war. Sergei is always exciting, as well as Shogun. Actually now that I think about it, its a damn good card, it just has potential to be so much better.

Sirius

Awards
Shogun unless Coleman gets in a lucky punch early on..otherwise he'll gas out and get pounded..again!!!

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
F it im gonna go with Coleman!

Last edited:

Angrysanta

Awards
Coleman. I really like Shogun but I'm leaning towards Coleman.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Coleman said in a radio interview that he was coming in the lightest he has ever been - around 222. Coleman does not have a size advantage since Maurico is big for his division and looks around 215-220 at least.

Maurico has the advantage here since he has a good defense on the ground and good at getting up from underneath. I see Mauricio getting a TKO unless Coleman puts on the best fight of his life to take it to a decision.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Coleman said in a radio interview that he was coming in the lightest he has ever been - around 222. Coleman does not have a size advantage since Maurico is big for his division and looks around 215-220 at least.

Maurico has the advantage here since he has a good defense on the ground and good at getting up from underneath. I see Mauricio getting a TKO unless Coleman puts on the best fight of his life to take it to a decision.
Wow. 222 is really light for coleman's frame. With the weight loss, plus his age, he may look like hes dying. This may be his last fight IMO.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow. 222 is really light for coleman's frame. With the weight loss, plus his age, he may look like hes dying. This may be his last fight IMO.
It may his last fight on his contract but I doubt he is finished in MMA. Remember that Coleman is making good coin in Japanese pro-wrestling and is leveraging that visibility by making decent money in Pride. Bottom line is, if the money is still good, Coleman is still going to be competing.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
He's listed at 6'1", but I think he is a few inches shorter than that. I'm 6'2" and he seemed short to me the few times that I met him, so I don't think a lean 222 would be all that small for him, but then again, he was listed at 245 and looked pretty lean then.

Anyway, I'm gonna play the homer here and go with Coleman.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Shogun has greater overall skills but I'm gonna go with Coleman too, a 222 pound version of the Hammer could make for a still dominant wrestler who has more stamina, gassing has been Mark's biggest problem area over the last few years. Older athletes should shed excess mass, like Couture did, stamina fades faster than strength and this is the compensatory adaptation to stay competitive. Frye went the opposite route, and it did'nt work well overall, his head swelled up to the point where he thought he could stand with Jerome Lebanner.

Lebanner is the guy I want to see back in Pride or UFC. Cro Cop could'nt do it, but Lebanner did, KO Mark Hunt.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think Lebanner is not cut out for MMA. I've seen a few of his MMA fights, and his ground is terrible. Anyone with any takedowns/ground game would make him look bad. I did not know Lebanner knocked out Hunt. Do you know what date/event that was?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Lebanner apparently has little or no ground ability, and he's a few years off his prime, but with hands like his, he might not need to have ground skillz if he could learn to sprawl like Cro Cop.

I read that Lebanner and Sylvia have been trading barbs, Sylvia standing with JLB I would like to see.

JLB is 3 -1 over Hunt in K1. I'll look up the Fight he KO'd Hunt and try to find the Lebanner highlight video with the Hunt and Frye KO on it.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lebanner is still very new to MMA. He is a pretty good athlete and I'm optimistic about his chances.

The smart money should be on Shogun. Coleman sounded like he hadn't had the best training possible since he only had or chose a 6 week prep. If you haven't already seen or heard his interviews, you should download it, Coleman is one of the rare athletes with absolutely no bs and ego. He has no problems admitting injuries, age, inferior training holding him back.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I was technically wrong about Lebanner_Hunt, it was a 2nd round TKO of Hunt at the 2002 K1 World Grand Prix. Hunt KO'd Lebanner at the 2001, Lebanner is 3-1 overall versus the Samoan.

Apparently this is what Tim Sylvia said about JLB.

"Most of you know that some K1 fighter named Jerome Lebitch I mean Lebanner recently issued a challenge to me. First of all I cant believe that this nobody would call me out and second of all why is he calling me out to K1, if your going to open your big fat french mouth to call me out at least have the respect to call me out at ufc. Why not call out AA if you think your so good why the #2 guy. This guy just wants some publicity cause he's a nobody and he wants some recognition. Go cry about your shitty career somewhere else. Ill fight Lebitch no question that’s if of course he has the balls to come to the octagon. We all know the french are pussies"

Sylvia might win if he gets it to the ground, Standing? Y'all be the judge, I think not.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8765519304692044867&q=Le+Banner

That's Mark Hunt getting smacked into the ropes about mid way through that, bam. That's one French Pussy I would'nt tickle.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
The smart money should be on Shogun. Coleman sounded like he hadn't had the best training possible since he only had or chose a 6 week prep. If you haven't already seen or heard his interviews, you should download it, Coleman is one of the rare athletes with absolutely no bs and ego. He has no problems admitting injuries, age, inferior training holding him back.
Yeah, Coleman is a great guy. He is very approachable. I worked security/bounced at a few concert venues in c-bus, one of which held mma fights. Coleman always came, even if he had no fighters on the card, but simply to promote the sport. I always managed to be placed at the entrance to the dressing rooms and got to meet him that way. For the record, Wes Sims is tall as ****.

I think The Smashing Machine is a great example of Coleman's character. His part in the movie became very small due to the lack of drama in his life compared to his counterpart.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think The Smashing Machine is a great example of Coleman's character. His part in the movie became very small due to the lack of drama in his life compared to his counterpart.
Smashing Machine was about Kerr. I think the directory or one of the crew was Kerr's friend or college mate.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Coleman is definitely one of the few guys that is actually humble, not just faking humble. It seems like Lebanner should be able to learn to sprawl, he just can't for some reason. He's like Stefan Leko, its like they're so used to striking that they just subconciously forget about getting taken down. Silvia would get killed by JLB in K-1. In MMA I'd give the edge to Silvia.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I wonder what Mark Kerr is doing these days? My impression of the Smashing Machine was that he had all the tools, but lacked the neccesary nasty attitude to be a champ.

I don't think JLB_Sylvia will happen, Sylvia won't go to K1, unless he's more delusional than I think, and Dana White won't invite The Frog Banner to the UFC. More's the pity, seeing Sylvia get punched out would be an entertaining possibility.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Smashing Machine was about Kerr. I think the directory or one of the crew was Kerr's friend or college mate.
Thanks, didn't know that. I figured someone just wanted to do a movie about two good American fighters and saw their relationship as good material.

wyldechild

Awards
there is one thing thats for sure. If shogun is anything like his brother as far as fighting goes, which he is, then anyone that is put in his way will be in trouble. That being said, there is not alot that you could do when going up against the hammer. He may have been around a long time, and been beat up alotn along the way, but he will still finish you. My prediction is that The hammer will win by KO in the 1st.

Pushofabutton

Awards
YA the hammer pulled it out. I just wish the fight would of went a bit longer.

Also what was that growwing behind his ear?

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad Coleman won. I didn't think he would win, but he pulled it off (albeit in a bizarre way). Alot of people thought he'd lose, yet he found a way to win. He looked great out there too, he was ripped to shreds. I have much respect for Coleman, he's something else.

That's bs Wandy and chute box ran across the ring trying to attack Coleman and the Hammerhouse team. Crazy stuff...

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As much as I would like Coleman to win, Shogun lost because of his injury. I don't see Coleman winning in a rematch.

For those of you who haven't watched the ppv, Coleman's postfight interview was quite funny. He was definitely on a high.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't consider that a legit win. To me Coleman was acting like he kicked Shogun's ass, when he should've been checking to make sure Shogun was O.K. It was clearly a freak accident. I'd love to see a re-match, and I really hope Coleman gets busted up. On a side note, I really want to see Baroni/Ninja at 183.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I consider it a legit win. Coleman took him down, and it was shogun's mistake for trying to break his fall with his arm like that. I give big props to Coleman. Although he didn't win in a "magnicifent" way, he still pulled out the w, when everyone though't he'd get pummeled. Coleman's the man

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It wasn't Colemans fault. Silva attacked him from behind.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Marcus, did you see that post fight pic of Wanderlei praying as Coleman had his foot on his neck? I seriously doubt Silva was begging Mark, but Baroni took him down and Coleman did appear to have his throat firmly under foot.

Shogun's injury was an accident that was mostly caused by his prexisting tendonitis and at this point, I'll give the Hammer the benefit of the doubt, as he claims, that he'll stop being a lazyass with a bad diet and he'll revitalize himself.

Generally good stuff, we should get a grudge match or two out of it as fans.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Marcus, did you see that post fight pic of Wanderlei praying as Coleman had his foot on his neck? I seriously doubt Silva was begging Mark, but Baroni took him down and Coleman did appear to have his throat firmly under foot.
Yes I saw it and Silva wouldn't have gotten underfoot if he didn't rush for the sucker punch.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

If you watch the video, Coleman had his back turned and Silva was the first to rush from behind followed by Ninja was the person in the baseball cap who threw the last punch.
http://buzus.homepage.t-online.de/pics/ninja.gif

http://www.sherdog.com/images/pictures/25786_sm.jpg
The picture shows Coleman moving away and Silva just about to jump Coleman.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=4029&my_page=2&my_title=Mark Coleman vs Mauricio Rua

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I did'nt post very clearly above. I'm not disagreeing that Silva attacked Coleman, clearly Chutebox rushed the ring and the amateur video shows Silva attacking Coleman. Coleman said he was sucker punched twice by Silva, I believe it.

I think Alexander was questioning the connection you appear to him, and to me, to be making between Shogun's injury and Silva's attack on Coleman.

First the injury, then Silva attacks, seperate episodes, yes?

Personally, I like the drama and hope Hammer House pounds the #^@!* outta ChuteBox however it's matched up.

Coleman was lean and mean, WTF?! is that fluid/tumor behind his cauliflower ear, damn.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How great would a Chute Boxe vs. Hammer House bushido type deal be? Can you imagine the hype.
Coleman/Shogun
Randleman/Silva
Baroni/Ninja
Too bad Assuerio isn't with Chute Boxe anymore, he could whoop up on Wes Sims as a fourth bout.

PH3

Awards
"Personally, I like the drama and hope Hammer House pounds the #^@!* outta ChuteBox however it's matched up."

hahahahahhaa,, funny ****,, Hammer House doesn't stand a chance. Coleman can't fight more than a round. Randleman gets tired very quickly and also and no submission skills. Baroni can't fight more than a round either. Bottom line Chute Box would kill Hammer House no matter who would fight who. Just take a look at both team's records. You will see the difference.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I did'nt post very clearly above. I'm not disagreeing that Silva attacked Coleman, clearly Chutebox rushed the ring and the amateur video shows Silva attacking Coleman. Coleman said he was sucker punched twice by Silva, I believe it.

I think Alexander was questioning the connection you appear to him, and to me, to be making between Shogun's injury and Silva's attack on Coleman.

First the injury, then Silva attacks, seperate episodes, yes?

Personally, I like the drama and hope Hammer House pounds the #^@!* outta ChuteBox however it's matched up.

Coleman was lean and mean, WTF?! is that fluid/tumor behind his cauliflower ear, damn.
Hell yeah!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I don't see Hammer House winning any match-ups, unless some more lucky **** occurs. If they did win it would be boring ass lay n pray. Haaaaaayyyyyyy, go Chute Boxe! I apologize for acting like this will actually happen, I just get a little excited.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like Coleman alot but the fight didn't tell much. Before the injury Shogun was all over the place trying to finish Coleman with submissions.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I did'nt say Hammer House could take Chute Box, I said I hoped, big difference.

I'll always root for the Underdog, particularly if they are American.

Here's how I see it - if Mark Coleman had gotten away from Buckeye Hammer House years ago and broadened his skill set with another team, had learned that Ferocity and GNP with insufficent stamina and poor sub defense are not enough to win at the top level, there's no telling where he could have been today.

He has the wrong frame and I doubt he's limber emough to be a good boxer, but with the right training and stamina he could have been twice the dirty boxer of Couture and twice the GNP machine of Tito Ortiz. You don't neccesarily have to be a Big Nog Level Sub Master if you are an ultra smashing machine that does'nt gas.

Time machine Coleman back to the when he left UFC for Pride and give him to Team Millitech or Team Quest and who knows how his fight with Cro Cop and Fedor would have gone.

How Knows about what could have been,missed opportunities, today the Hammer is long in the tooth, but if he does get real in his training and diet and stays pissed off he still has the ability to end a fight quickly with his old school ways. Coleman gets the right angle on Shogun and he could neck crank him or pound him into next week.

TheSwagger

Awards
Coleman's not done by any means, but I think he was a little TOO excited to tell everyone that the freak accident "was no accident".

PH3

Awards
i think u hope too much,, and your imagination goes a little bit too far Rogue,, let's keep it real,, Coleman has been in the game for so many years,, never surprised me much with his fighting style,, all he knows is to take people down and pound them,, (that's what he tries),, bottom line is that Coleman isn't a great fighter at all,, shouldn't be fighting shogun in my opinion,, they are not in the same level,, shogun should be fighting someone like cro-cop,, you know,, someone with a better record

Jake360

Awards
Coleman will get killed by Wanderlei, his fluke win over Shogun is buying the old guy time. Coleman can take Wanderlei down like once then he'll gas and get knocked out when they stand it up.

Doomsday

Awards
Silva definately takes out Coleman easy. Coleman and endurance are like 7-up and caffiene -- never had it, never will.