UFC HW division

  1. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    UFC HW division


    Its probably sunk to its lowest ever. Mir losing in the way he did was awful to Cruz is good at subs but is a total newb to striking.

    What UFC needs is to really start bringing in some tough HWs. Arlovski is head and shoulders above everyone.

  2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    The only thing is that there are very few great heavyweights in MMA period. The reason that there are so many in Pride is because most of them use steroids (they are not illegal in Japan). Most of the natural light heavyweights are heavyweights. Even Mir said that being a top 10 heavyweight did not mean much beacuse the division is so thin.
  3. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    The only thing is that there are very few great heavyweights in MMA period. The reason that there are so many in Pride is because most of them use steroids (they are not illegal in Japan). Most of the natural light heavyweights are heavyweights. Even Mir said that being a top 10 heavyweight did not mean much beacuse the division is so thin.
    Steroids don't make good fighters period let alone great fighter. And I daresay the UFC has a similar proportion of juicers.

    Mir has a point and after his loss, he is out of top-10. UFC has put on 4 HW bumfights when its their weakest division on this card.
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    I am not saying that steroids make the fighters better, but they do increase size which is what I was trying to say. It is much easier for a natural light heavy to compete against heavies with some chemical enhancement. The UFC has testing and Pride does not have any; fighters in Pride are just much bigger than those in UFC and the reason, most likely, is steroids.
  5. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    So you are saying Pride is better because they have bigger fighters? Absolute rubbish.

    Pride has better HWs because they pay well and better than UFC. Who are the really big Pride HWs? Only Aleks at 6'5" 250 since Herring has gone to K-1.

    Big name UFC HWs aren't lacking in size. Sylvia/McGee are giants at 6'8" 265+, Mir/Arlovski are 6'4" 250+, Cruz is 6'4" 240.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    I am not saying Pride is better because they have bigger fighters, but I am saying their HW division is better because they have more big fighters; more fighters equals more competition.Just look at the difference in roster size. Yes, Pride also pays more and there is a better chance for marketing and endorsments as well, but as I was saying, the ability to use steroids helps the fighters to be bigger, stronger, and faster. I am not insinuating that they take BBer amounts but steroids help performance, period. Sylvia, McGee, Ricco are all big, but they were destroyed by Mir and Arlovski. Outside of those two, there are no other fighters that can really compete in the UFC HW division. Even Couture slimmed down after being HW champ for a while.
  7. SJA
    SJA is offline
    dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    the nearest overpass
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8149

    Marcus.....I believe what Rodja is saying is that steroids are legal in Japan and in the Pride arena. They are not legal in the US or UFC. Therefore, you will find guys in Pride who fight as heavyweights due to the fact that they can use AAS. These same guys would be fighting as light heavyweights if they were to jump over to UFC due to not having AAS at their disposal. Therefore, you will find more HW in Pride than UFC.....right Rodja?
    I would like to see Andre go fight in Pride....that would be interesting to see. or silva come over to UFC.....I'd like that as well. The guys who go back and forth between sanctions seem to have trouble with the rules though. That must be hard to try to remember rules when you have reflexive actions engrained in your head.
  8. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Marklar
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    2845

    That's what I was reading it as, but what Marcus was saying is that...the 'rules' aren't stopping anyone in the US. Never have, never will.
  9. SJA
    SJA is offline
    dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    the nearest overpass
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8149

    Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    That's what I was reading it as, but what Marcus was saying is that...the 'rules' aren't stopping anyone in the US. Never have, never will.

    But hey are tested. So they cannot come into a match while using. Remember when Sylvia got dinged a while back? He shrank after that.
  10. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Marklar
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    2845

    Yeah, but they'll get by it if they think they really need to. Most of those guys aren't huge, and don't want to be. They can be on for long periods of time and come off in time to clear tests.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    Quote Originally Posted by SJA
    Marcus.....I believe what Rodja is saying is that steroids are legal in Japan and in the Pride arena. They are not legal in the US or UFC. Therefore, you will find guys in Pride who fight as heavyweights due to the fact that they can use AAS. These same guys would be fighting as light heavyweights if they were to jump over to UFC due to not having AAS at their disposal. Therefore, you will find more HW in Pride than UFC.....right Rodja?
    I would like to see Andre go fight in Pride....that would be interesting to see. or silva come over to UFC.....I'd like that as well. The guys who go back and forth between sanctions seem to have trouble with the rules though. That must be hard to try to remember rules when you have reflexive actions engrained in your head.
    Exactly what I was saying...thank you SJA
  12. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Exactly what I was saying...thank you SJA
    Well you still don't make any sense for 3 reasons.

    - You are stating that juiced up LHW->HWs are better than naturally big HWs which doesn't make sense.

    - Testing in the UFC is lax since only competitors in title bouts are tested. If you think competitors in title fights still can't juice and escape undetected, you're wrong.

    - And who are natural LHWs? Do you think Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Kharitonov, Werdum or Aleks will probably be competing at LHW?
  13. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    I just saw a few UFC57 matches and a whole bunch of HW fights looked like bulked up 205'ers.

    Hinkle and especially Monson looked stacked to the gills. Eilers, Vera are glorified LHWs.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,083
    Rep Power
    918005

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG
    Well you still don't make any sense for 3 reasons.

    - You are stating that juiced up LHW->HWs are better than naturally big HWs which doesn't make sense.

    - Testing in the UFC is lax since only competitors in title bouts are tested. If you think competitors in title fights still can't juice and escape undetected, you're wrong.

    - And who are natural LHWs? Do you think Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Kharitonov, Werdum or Aleks will probably be competing at LHW?
    Ok lets see if I can explain this again...I am not saying that juiced LHWs are better than natty HW. I am saying that there will be more competition as a DIRECT result of steroid usage, however. Also, UFC tests non-title bouts as well. In a fight several months ago Nate Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone after he fought Ivan Salaverry
  15. Registered User
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,237
    Rep Power
    759

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Ok lets see if I can explain this again...I am not saying that juiced LHWs are better than natty HW. I am saying that there will be more competition as a DIRECT result of steroid usage, however. Also, UFC tests non-title bouts as well. In a fight several months ago Nate Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone after he fought Ivan Salaverry
    Your main point is that Pride is better because it has bigger roided fighters which doesn't make sense because most of the big names in Pride don't look anywhere close to Monson and Hinkle or juiced for that matter.

    Then you stated that they would have to fight at LHW if testing were instituted. Well who looks like they are juicing and would have to drop a divison?

    The UFC only randomly tests competitors in non-title bouts. This was confirmed by the NSAC after the Sylvia debacle. There is no frequent random surprise checks and samples will only be collected post-fight so all the usual precautions for evading postitive results can be applied.
  16. Gold Member
    revodrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    669

    weak......
  17. Registered User
    kwyckemynd00's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Marklar
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    2845

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG
    There is no frequent random surprise checks and samples will only be collected post-fight so all the usual precautions for evading postitive results can be applied.
    This was my point earlier, and the point that IMO really matters. Its all about the money, people go where the money is good.

    But, just to clear up what the other guy was saying, he was simply stating that because steroids aren't illegal in Japan (PRIDE), there will be more competition in the heavier divisions because people who would have been stuck in a lower division will have the opportunity to advance to a higher division, thereby increasing the occurence of talented HW fighters.
  18. Board Supporter
    Brfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    179

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusG
    Your main point is that Pride is better because it has bigger roided fighters which doesn't make sense because most of the big names in Pride don't look anywhere close to Monson and Hinkle or juiced for that matter.

    Then you stated that they would have to fight at LHW if testing were instituted. Well who looks like they are juicing and would have to drop a divison?

    The UFC only randomly tests competitors in non-title bouts. This was confirmed by the NSAC after the Sylvia debacle. There is no frequent random surprise checks and samples will only be collected post-fight so all the usual precautions for evading postitive results can be applied.

    Marcus...He is simply stating that there are more HWs in Pride...Period. More HWs = More competition.


    A lot of the guys that fight in the HW catagory in Pride are only HWs cause they can increase their weight due to the prolific steroid use, right up to the fight.

    Natural, these guys would not get up to those weights, and still be in any fighting condition. They would be in the LHW division.


    He never said anything about Pride fighters being better than UFC due to Steroids, Just that they have MORE fighters in the HW division.

    It is very hard to get up to that weight with the kind of training they do to keep up their stamina and keep off the fat. Steriods will help the Pride fighters cross that barrier into the HW division, while keeping BF lower and keeping stamina up.
  19. Registered User
    Ianhockey91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    123

    The reason pride is better talent wise than the UFC, is money and respect, not steroids (with a few exceptions). Those guys are treated like royalty over there, they dont hear any comments like "kill em" "knock his head off" "we want blood" like the ufc fighters hear and in addition do (despite what xyience commercials may lead ppl to believe) make a lot more money. Look for arlovski to leave the ufc and head over to pride (where he will be a #4 or #5 rank)after the silvia fight (his last one left on his ufc contract) and for Rampage to come over to the ufc to destroy liddell (if babalu doesnt beat him first).
  20. Registered User
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fedor over Lindland in under 4 minutes
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,068
    Rep Power
    2648

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    The only thing is that there are very few great heavyweights in MMA period. The reason that there are so many in Pride is because most of them use steroids (they are not illegal in Japan). Most of the natural light heavyweights are heavyweights. Even Mir said that being a top 10 heavyweight did not mean much beacuse the division is so thin.
    So you think Fedor, Sergei, Nog use steroids to increase size and be able to fight at HW? No way. I don't think any of those guys juice at all, and certainly not to increase size. Besides Vanderlei and maybe a few others, I don't think many top fighters in Pride Juice. Maybe they do, but just because its legal over their does not mean you can assume they're juicing without some type of evidence. Money not Juice.
  21. Registered User
    jarhead's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oh
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    816

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    So you think Fedor, Sergei, Nog use steroids to increase size and be able to fight at HW? No way. I don't think any of those guys juice at all, and certainly not to increase size. Besides Vanderlei and maybe a few others, I don't think many top fighters in Pride Juice. Maybe they do, but just because its legal over their does not mean you can assume they're juicing without some type of evidence. Money not Juice.
    Yeah, and I hear Santa and the Easter bunny are the main event for the next ufc card. Seriously though, I think it's safe to assume that performance enhacing drugs permeate any sport where they can help an athlete, testing or not. They might not have the look of juicing, but neither do NFL lineman.
  22. Registered User
    jarhead's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oh
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    816

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Fedor's on the Vodka and Sausage cycle, Nog feasts on Brazilian Trannies along with Wanderlei, Bas and the Iceman have been mainlining good ***** forever, the others are just wankin' or celibate like Henderson.
  23. Registered User
    502 Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    124

    I cannot believe some of the bull**** i'm reading. The top heavyweight fighter in the world, and a guy I really don't see anyone handing a loss to for a long time, Fedor Emelianenko hasn't saw a steroid and never will, and has and will destroy anyone that is put in front of him. UFC has a **** heavyweight division because Pride is willing to shell out more money. UFC doesn't promote heavyweight fighting as a spectacle half as much as it does its lower divisions, and thats in part due to the talent pool. In America if you are a good heavyweight athlete you can play pro football or go be a pro wrestler. There is no appeal for getting paid less to get your face smashed in.

    In conclusion, Fedor owns Arvlovski.
  24. Registered User
    Ianhockey91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    123

    Quote Originally Posted by 502 Country Boy
    I cannot believe some of the bull**** i'm reading. The top heavyweight fighter in the world, and a guy I really don't see anyone handing a loss to for a long time, Fedor Emelianenko hasn't saw a steroid and never will, and has and will destroy anyone that is put in front of him. UFC has a **** heavyweight division because Pride is willing to shell out more money. UFC doesn't promote heavyweight fighting as a spectacle half as much as it does its lower divisions, and thats in part due to the talent pool. In America if you are a good heavyweight athlete you can play pro football or go be a pro wrestler. There is no appeal for getting paid less to get your face smashed in.

    In conclusion, Fedor owns Arvlovski.
    Others who would own him include
    Sergei
    Mirko
    Big Nog
    and possibly aleks.
  25. Registered User
    jarhead's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oh
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    816

    Quote Originally Posted by 502 Country Boy
    I cannot believe some of the bull**** i'm reading. The top heavyweight fighter in the world, and a guy I really don't see anyone handing a loss to for a long time, Fedor Emelianenko hasn't saw a steroid and never will, and has and will destroy anyone that is put in front of him. UFC has a **** heavyweight division because Pride is willing to shell out more money. UFC doesn't promote heavyweight fighting as a spectacle half as much as it does its lower divisions, and thats in part due to the talent pool. In America if you are a good heavyweight athlete you can play pro football or go be a pro wrestler. There is no appeal for getting paid less to get your face smashed in.

    In conclusion, Fedor owns Arvlovski.
    How on earth does this prove fedor owns arlovski? Like stated unless they fight....There were alot of guys here saying lidell was going to get his ass handed to him too.

    Also unless you administer drug tests yourself, how can you state for a certainty that so and so has never touched a roid? It's not a knock on anyone, just common sense. On the same token, I can't say for certain that anyone HAS used. But it's just that drugs are a fact in professional sports.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. UFC vs Pride
    By KD1 in forum MMA
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 09:10 AM
  2. Royce Gracie back in the UFC
    By drunk in forum MMA
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
  3. UFC 54, Anyone Watching Sat?
    By BingeAndPurge in forum MMA
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
  4. UFC Tommorow night!
    By AlexParty in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 07:24 AM
  5. Ufc In June
    By AlexParty in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in