Having muscle probs!! help??!!

pestis

pestis

Awards
I have been involved in martial arts for many years, took about 1 year off from MMA training to focus on bodybuilding. I started back to rolling twice a week and have been having intense pain primarily around my biceps insertion. It was so bad after an hour of Jits yesterday that I had trouble lifting a bottle of water to my mouth. kinda freaked me out. My coach said he has seen it before in bodybuilders because of the lack of recovery time when doing both types of training. Any help or input from you bro's in the know would be great.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
First off, I am sure you know this but Ice, rest and some good stretching will be the best you can do without seeing a doctor. Is it muscle or joint pain?

pestis

pestis

Awards
First off, I am sure you know this but Ice, rest and some good stretching will be the best you can do without seeing a doctor. Is it muscle or joint pain?
yeah, I didnt mention that I iced my bi's and they were good to go. I just havent felt anything like this after an hour of training. I get the same pain, but not as bad, if I do a bicep workout within a day of rolling. might need some chemical enhancement to speed recovery.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I didnt mention that I iced my bi's and they were good to go. I just havent felt anything like this after an hour of training. I get the same pain, but not as bad, if I do a bicep workout within a day of rolling. might need some chemical enhancement to speed recovery.
Do they not test in MMA?

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
I was having some of the same problems. I started working the bag 3 times a week for 30 mins or so and it seems to have helped. I was thinking that because the movments of lifting and JJ were so dif that I needed to get my arms moving from all angles. The bag is how I did it and it worked for me.

pestis

pestis

Awards
I was having some of the same problems. I started working the bag 3 times a week for 30 mins or so and it seems to have helped. I was thinking that because the movments of lifting and JJ were so dif that I needed to get my arms moving from all angles. The bag is how I did it and it worked for me.
thanks for the tip bro, I will give it a shot.
How many days a week do you train jits/weight training?

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Your body is adapting to the new stress. You'll get used to it after a few weeks probably, and won't have as much problems. Sean Sherk lifts 6 weeks a day, and rolls every day too I think. And look at the guy, he's a monster for MMA.

pestis

pestis

Awards
Your body is adapting to the new stress. You'll get used to it after a few weeks probably, and won't have as much problems. Sean Sherk lifts 6 weeks a day, and rolls every day too I think. And look at the guy, he's a monster for MMA.

Damn... that dude is cut. yeah, I am sure you are right. I got a bit freaked out because I never had any pain like this from either bodybuilding or MMA alone. Just have to wade through it.

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards

I think that fbxdan is right. I'm 45 and have to be much more careful then I did when I was 35 training. Warm ups go longer and the cramps seem to happen more now. I hate getting older and having to adjust to it.

I lift 3-4 days a week and roll at least 1 but like to do 3 and was training in traditonal Shotokan for my 3rd dan 3 times a week but that kills my knees so I will be increasing the MMA. Something about freestyle that feels better then hard traditional. I do it for stress release and fun. I taught Self Def at work but now I have been put out to pasture. I have invented a control hold that I get called to show the younger instructors every now and then. Its a very competitive job and I am not good at politics....Large agencie LE.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Another thing is you don't want to do a heavy leg day, and then the next day wrestle, unless you are really well adapted. I did a heavy leg workout one evening, and the next day my legs were dead. I decided to go wrestle and spar, and I went in for a shoot and slipped on some sweat and my knee buckled out. I think my legs were so weekened by the workout that they couldnt hold my patella in place.