Had my first day of MMA training

Pushofabutton

Awards
And i think im in love. I had wrestled for over 12 years and miss being on a mat. So i desided to start trying to learn other arts. Im starting with san soo fighting and ill see where this takes me.

drunk

Awards
San Soo is supposed to be a pretty good art. Do you know your instructors lineage to Jimmy Woo?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Me and the little women are also looking into MMA/ BJJ academies in our area. Can't wait to start.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
my friend who is crazy good at jiu jitsu was taught by Pedro Saure or however you spell it. Pedro was taught by Helio Gracie and grew up with Helio's sons in Brazil.

Ianhockey91

Awards
its is San Soo.
San soo does not look like it would translate well to MMA. Not saying the right fighter couldnt make it work, but youd be better served with some muy thai, bbj, sambo, catch wrestling, boxing, or san shou training if you wanted to make the move to mma. Again not knocking the art, and not saying it doesnt work, but for mma other arts would be more effective.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
San Soo is a joke... I knew alot of guys that trained in San Soo and they were all talk about how they could kill anyone... and how they couldn't spar cuz their techniques were too dangerous. When me and a couple of other buddies finally convinced them to try sparring (with protective equipment), none of them could fight their way out of a paper bag. It was like taking candy from a baby...

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
San Soo is a joke... I knew alot of guys that trained in San Soo and they were all talk about how they could kill anyone... and how they couldn't spar cuz their techniques were too dangerous. When me and a couple of other buddies finally convinced them to try sparring (with protective equipment), none of them could fight their way out of a paper bag. It was like taking candy from a baby...
That's the criticism of a lot of arts, that they aren't what are considered to be "working" arts. That's why you don't see all of that fancy dancing **** in mma.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I hear ya... but at least most other art practice some form of free sparring, San Soo is one particular art that just doesn't spar. If Pushofabutton is training with someone that does spar, then they are not training in the San Soo that Jimmy Woo taught and is probably better for it. San Soo guys look great doing their techniques and can talk a good game, but when they put on gloves it's a different game altogether.

Here is SoCal, there are used to be ALOT of San Soo "masters" and none of them included sparring in their school. They're brainwashed to believe that if Jimmy Woo didn't practice/teach it, then it's not worth learning.