Pride Open Grand Prix

size

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone else read about the possiblity that Pride may have a no weight limit GP this year? I think this would be really interesting to see.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone else read about the possiblity that Pride may have a no weight limit GP this year? I think this would be really interesting to see.
That would be awsome. Silva, Rua, the guys from BTT all duking it out, with no weight limit. Awsome!

size

Awards
  • Established
THink about how crazy some fights could end up. For instance, Gomi could draw a top heavyweight.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't like open weight concept at all.
Theres going to be some David-Goliath freakshows and alot of help for the local favourites since the tough HWs are going to knock themselves out of the tournament.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I think it's a great once in a blue moon idea. There are no weight classes in the street. The original UFC's didn't have a weight class or rounds, or much of any rules, and you can be a smaller HW against some big dudes. Sometimes, it's all about skill.

Ianhockey91

Awards
Prides open weight GP is official (has been for a few weeks) i believe the opening round is april 3rd alas no fedor though (broken hand).

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No Fedor means Aleks is going to be in for sure.

Ianhockey91

Awards
Yep, I gotta think cro-cop finally has some sort of a chance at a title. Big nogs chances are looking good too.

wantstobeinshap

wantstobeinshap

Awards
yeah, its official...

also, pride has offered Arlovski a contract...lets hope he accepts because he would be a great contender for the heavyweight belt.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I was reading on Sherdog that Silva says he wants Fedor next if he wins the GP, not sure if he was talking about another MW GP or this open one.

Wanderlei would have to put on how much to be a HW, 20 to 30 pounds? Could be a good fight, I don't imagine that Silva would go for it unless he felt properly prepared at the bigger size.

Hunt wasn't able to KO Silva standing, would Fedor be able to control a bigger Silva on the ground as well as Arona did the smaller version?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Silva weighs around 220, so he's not much smaller(weight wise) then Prides heavyweights. IMO Fedor would dispose of Silva within the first 5 minutes. I'm a huge Silva fan, I just don't see any angle for him. I don't think anyone currently fighting can touch Fedor. Maybe in a few years someone new will burst on to the scene, and have the tools to beat Fedor.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I agree... Fedor is unbeatable right now. Fedor is so well rounded that he would overwhelm Silva.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I agree... Fedor is unbeatable right now. Fedor is so well rounded that he would overwhelm Silva.
Fedor is a stud. If you saw him in the street you wouldn't look twice. But the guys got mad skills and the heart of a lion.

PH3

Awards
Fedor Is The Man,, But You Can't Compare Him To Silva,, (different Weight Classes),, Even If Silva Put Some Pounds On,, It Would Be A Disadvantage Because He's Not Used To Fight Under That Weight,, Anyways,, I Do Agree That This Match Would Be A Good One

esko71

Awards
I was reading on Sherdog that Silva says he wants Fedor next if he wins the GP, not sure if he was talking about another MW GP or this open one.

Wanderlei would have to put on how much to be a HW, 20 to 30 pounds? Could be a good fight, I don't imagine that Silva would go for it unless he felt properly prepared at the bigger size.

Hunt wasn't able to KO Silva standing, would Fedor be able to control a bigger Silva on the ground as well as Arona did the smaller version?
if silva really planned on moving to hw, chute box wouldnt have pressured shogun into moving to hw. the whole point of that was so silva could remain champ of the mw division.