UFC vs Pride

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%

UFC vs Pride

I was bored a couple weeks ago and noticed a Pride replay on PPV so I ordered it. Wow there are some tough dudes in that series. There was one guy that was just non-stop submissions, one after the other, but the wrestler he was fighting was so flexible he would weasel out of them. Then there was this big Bob Sapp ****er, like 6'6" 375lbs, all muscle. He looked like a cartoon character he was so built. And there was this other big 6'10 black dude that looked impressive. I forget the lighter weight fighters but all of them looked pretty skilled.

A couple things they did which I never have seen in the UFC is knees to the head, and also what I would call a "face stomp" where a guy standing would stomp a dudes face like you would crush an alluminum can.

Anyhow good series, comparible quality of fights to UFC, way better than that King of the Cage series.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm not sure what event you watched, but Pride is way better then the UFC. Better fighters, better production, better commentators(bas), pretty much better everything. UFC does probably have better match-ups, but that can be easy to do with a lower caliber of fighters. The heavyweight division is what really sets them apart. Pride has 5-10 great heavies, UFC has 1. Can't wait for NYE!
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.44%

I like pride a little better, because there's better international competition. In the UFC it's mainly North American fighters, and I like seeing fighters from all over the world. I enjoy the ufc of course too though. I agree that Pride has much better heavyweights, and now that Pride is offering Arlovski some big $$$, the ufc might lose their best heavy. This would be great though, because i'm dieing to see Fedor vs. Arlovski.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%

heard that mike tyson and bob sapp were going to go at it.
  5. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.13%

Yeah Beelze, that rumor has been going on for quite some time. They almost got into it at a K-1 event about 2 years ago. They'll never fight, but if they did I'd predict a brutal knockout by Tyson.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.68%

sapp runs out of gas in about 2 minutes, he is a useless fighter.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.82%

Bruce Lee would kick all of their asses

Except for the fact he's dead
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Foxx

and that he couldn't
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    heard that mike tyson and bob sapp were going to go at it.
    They were supposed to fight in Japan, but Japan wouldn't let Mike in because of his rape conviction. Then I never heard anything else about it.

Overall Pride has better fighters than the UFC.
  10. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.13%

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Foxx

I'm gonna pray that you're kidding. The scary thing is some people actually believe that. These same people also believe that Cris Angel 'MINDFREEK' is actually levetating people.
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.19%

I've got to say that Pride has a way higher caliber of fighter than UFC. I love watching both, but have to say I'm much more impressed with Pride.

Put Cro-Cop or Fedor in the ring with any UFC fighter and you'll have a blood bath...

Lidell is one of the better fighters in UFC and when he tried to fight in Pride he lost to a mid-level fighter...granted this was a few years ago and lidell has gotten better, but I still think it says alot for Pride.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

The UFC has done an awesome job at promoting itself over the past couple of years or so though. Eventually, I can see the UFC bringing in better fighters than those seen in Pride over the next few years.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.1%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Rampage is more than a mid level/tier fighter. Many things set Pride apart from UFC and in most people's opinions make it better. For me the crowd makes the biggest difference. The Japanese respect fighters and they rarely boo whereas in the UFc they boo almost anytime it goes to the ground. They also show a distaste for foreign fighters as well.

UFC might be gaining prominence in the US but worldwide I don't think it can compete. It lacks the international roster of fighters and they pay their fighters ****. I think the total payroll for UFC was around $300k. Pride pays that to their top level fighters. In fact Franklin, UFC MW champ collected $26k for his win, likely $13k to fight and $13k to win. In Pride he would likely have got $26 just to show. Given such great discrepancies in pay I don't see UFC competing with Pride in the long run.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz
    Rampage is more than a mid level/tier fighter. Many things set Pride apart from UFC and in most people's opinions make it better. For me the crowd makes the biggest difference. The Japanese respect fighters and they rarely boo whereas in the UFc they boo almost anytime it goes to the ground. They also show a distaste for foreign fighters as well.

UFC might be gaining prominence in the US but worldwide I don't think it can compete. It lacks the international roster of fighters and they pay their fighters ****. I think the total payroll for UFC was around $300k. Pride pays that to their top level fighters. In fact Franklin, UFC MW champ collected $26k for his win, likely $13k to fight and $13k to win. In Pride he would likely have got $26 just to show. Given such great discrepancies in pay I don't see UFC competing with Pride in the long run.
    I agree, UFC seems to be sticking to its North American fighters as Pride is more international. I've been watching/following (off and on) the UFC since the days of Gracie, Shamrock, Severn, Tank, and old school guys like that and I've seen how far it has come since then. I'm a loyal UFC fan and hope it continues to grow and maybe some day it will be able to compete with Pride internationally as well.
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

As ersatz stated, economic incentives being what they are, Pride will continue to cast a shadow over UFC.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.33%

One thing I enjoy with the UFC is the use of elbows. As far as I've seen in Pride, they are not allowed.

Put any of those shows on TV and I will watch it. They both provide great fighters and put on great shows.

Watch out for Georges St. Pierre in the UFC. He's a Canadian who's doing very well in the welterweight division and hopefully will get a title shot soon against Matt Hughes.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%

Quote Originally Posted by 16vt
    Watch out for Georges St. Pierre in the UFC. He's a Canadian who's doing very well in the welterweight division and hopefully will get a title shot soon against Matt Hughes.
    You missed it man, they already fought and Hughes submitted him by Arm-Bar. St. Pierre was doing really well for a while though.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%

Quote Originally Posted by KD1
    You missed it man, they already fought and Hughes submitted him by Arm-Bar. St. Pierre was doing really well for a while though.
    GSP is still doing well. His only loss was against Hughes.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.33%

Yes I heard about their first match. But since then I believe he has improved and may fair much better next time.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.26%

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    GSP is still doing well. His only loss was against Hughes.
    I meant he was doing really well in that fight with Hughes. He seemed to be getting the better of it for a while.
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I prefer Pride rules. The no kneeing/kicking on someone who is down or in the 4 point position takes alot out of the sport. Fighters can just drop down to get a quick breather in UFC and wrestlers don't have to worry about getting kneed during takedowns.

The UFC has done an awesome job at promoting itself over the past couple of years or so though. Eventually, I can see the UFC bringing in better fighters than those seen in Pride over the next few years.
    No, its a gross exaggeration. UFC mostly sat on its ass. Only the last couple of months with the TUF was something new.
    When Zuffa took over from SEG at UFC 40, all the big names were already in place. Shamrocks, Tito, Couture, Vitor, Liddell, Arlovski, Rizzo, Ricco, Pulver, Bustamante, Lindland, BJ Penn were all pre-Zuffa fighters. All Dana did was merely keeping the engine running. Hardly any good new names were signed.

So your statement about better fighters is mostly wishful thinking. Dana has had problems with many of the big names.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%

It is wishful thinking, but I would think since they have brought the UFC to the general public now with TUF, that they would improve upon what they have already established with better fighters. I'm sure they're making much more money as a result allowing them to pay their fighters better. I would think so anyways. Regardless, I'm still entertained.
  23. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Money was a never a real problem for better paydays. UFC could afford to pay Tank Abbot 50-100k and Ken Shamrock over 200k for each appearance but Franklin makes 20k for his last fight and Arlovski only 30k at UFC51.

The UFC is in an odd position. Business is good from all the TUF hype but the talent and quality of the shows are bad. Only a TUF noob would think Rashad/Immes are good quality talent. 2 college athletes (one with a bum knee) with 1 year of MMA training managing to be in the finals speaks volumes about the quality of TUF (and the knowledge of new fans) in general.

I just don't see how any fan can be pleased by the mediocre to bad UFC shows for the last 5 events. when Pride and Bushido has been blowing UFC away with spectacular events.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%

Somtimes I think Dana White is just going to turn the UFC into another WWE. He sets up his top fighters to keep them on top. Lindland, probably the only fighter in the UFC to be able to challange Rich Franklin, just had his contract terminated. BJ Penn beat Matt Hughs and then had some issue with UFC and had his contract terminated and they gave the belt back to Matt Hughs.

Dana White likes the drama. That's why Shamrock and Tito are going to coach on the next TUF.
  25. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I don't see why UFC has to go WWE. Before TUF and even Zuffa, UFC had better talent and better fights and pretty good attendance and ppv numbers.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.33%

new guy chimes in

Mark Coleman said it best in an interview he gave here (Japan) about a month ago. A UFC title is the equivalent to winning a national title, where as Pride is the top international competition as far as MMA. While Pride does rely on some WWE-like antics and match-ups to appeal to the crowd here, the talent level is much higher than UFC in most cases, especially now with Pride Bushido grabbing alot of the top 83kg guys. UfC has it's fair share of tough guys, but IMO most of em would get their head ripped off and thrown into the balcony in Pride. Arlovski is good, but vs. Fedor would most likely get beat the f*ck down. Same results against Kharnitov, Noguera, etc.......Couture is good IN A CAGE; in a ring is different..........he got smoked by Enson Inoue at the 1999 Japan Vale Tudo Championships cause he had no fence to push off of. That Ground N' Pound sh*t doesn't go over well with the judges here unless you are like Fedor and are literally performing brain surgery on the other guy; Pride refs will stand it up in hopes of someone getting their life's worth of dental work taken care of with a beautiful face stomp.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

I've just recently gotten into Pride and it is better than the UFC. I like the rules better, the crowd, and the fighters are better. It is crazy to see how much the cage makes a difference. I like the no elbows rule because when you hear UFC fighter after fighter announcing that part of his gameplan is to throw elbows in hopes of opening up a cut and getting a doctor stoppage is crap. I'm not sure, but I also think Pride judges score by who they think wins the fight, and not by tallying rounds, correct? I think that shows an awesome understanding of technical, working fighters.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%

Well i know that Pride does not test for steriods. As were UFC does. Maybe that is why Pride has more and better heavyweight fighters. Its funny how the heavyweight for UFC (slyvia) got busted for steriods. That along with the more money its going to be hard for UFC to compete especially in the heavyweight class.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%

Damn, maybe I should look into Pride a little more. I wonder if you can rent the DVD's at Blockbuster like you can with the UFC. I sure as hell am not going to pay 50 bucks to watch it on pay-per-view. Anyone know?
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    It's not steroids that are making the Pride Heavies better, it's the deeper Brazilian,Russian and K1 talent pool they are drawing from.

As I understand it, Pride pays much better than UFC, they attract a better class of fighter.
    Bingo. The UFC wants GnP fights, but Pride has a better apreciation of tactics (ie: positioning, subs, and etc). The UFC is alsways tring for a gimmick. The UFC seems To try and bring back guys like Shamrock and Tank. You always here White is thinking about getting guys like this in the ring.
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

BB has Pride dvds for less than $15.

Pride has clowns and showmen as well like Giant Silva. Shamrock and Tank just fought in Pride as well. Difference is that the card is so stacked with superb talent that one or 2 bums don't matter.

For most of the past year the UFC is putting alot of no-name mid level talent and crappy guys like Gannon on the cards and selling it for more money than Pride events. Funny thing is business is booming. ****ing TUF noobs think Diego/Bonner/Griffin is top talent.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

Damn, maybe I should look into Pride a little more. I wonder if you can rent the DVD's at Blockbuster like you can with the UFC. I sure as hell am not going to pay 50 bucks to watch it on pay-per-view. Anyone know?
    I have the Blockbuster online rental deal and my que list is loaded with Pride and UFC vids. It really pisses the wife off.
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.86%

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    I have the Blockbuster online rental deal and my que list is loaded with Pride and UFC vids. It really pisses the wife off.
    Good deal. Thanks.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%

It's not steroids that are making the Pride Heavies better, it's the deeper Brazilian,Russian and K1 talent pool they are drawing from.

As I understand it, Pride pays much better than UFC, they attract a better class of fighter.

You kinda miss understood me. Im not in anyway saying that steroids are making them better. Im saying its one less nag that the Pride heavies have to deal with. That along with more money at Pride. Well lets say which one are you going to fight in. Lets also not forget alot of the heavies over there used to fight in UFC
  35. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.82%

I read that Rogan and Wesley Snipes are set to go at each in a special event. That might be interesting.
  36. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.13%

Oh man, "Cannon" Gannon got beatdown like one of the mismatches from the early UFCs. Those early UFCs were great and terrible, those were really no holds barred bloody mismatches. Oleg Taktarov is making TV movies, wonder what Paul "Polarbear" Varlens and that 600 pound Sumo blob are doing? One a bouncer, the other dead?

Anyone know where to find a free viewing of the Gannon/Kimbo Slice video?, I could'nt find it anywhere.

Where did they find that moron commentator who works with Joe Rogan?, Joe's solid but that other guy, go away.

How about Pride's shreiking female announcer? Yow!, someone at Sherdog wrote that she sounded like a crackwhore getting ass raped with a canoe paddle, too funny.

Someone needs to punch that superior smirk off Dana White's face, hopefully Pride can take US market share and money from his pocket, probably not, the WWE crowd will make the UFC even more wrastle like.
    The Pride announcer lady is the ****. Her Nogueeeeeiiiiiira is simply amazing. You don't like goldberg? I think hes better then Mauro and probably less annoying then Rogan.
  37. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

UFC will be a glorified circus if Snipes-Rogan takes place.

This thread should've stopped at the 2nd post. Comparison between Pride and UFC currently is meaningless and pointless. Its like comparing the Yankees vs the minor leagues.

Its laughable to ascribe steroids and former UFC fighters as the reason for Prides success. Pride has made big strides in collecting some great talent and retaining them the last few years. UFC sat on its ass, rotted and indulged in self-sabotage.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.53%

I can't stand Joe Rogan anymore. ever since he and that other guy ruined the Man Show. I can never forgive them.
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15%

Agreed that Joe is terrible in the booth. He's obnoxious and is just no damned good, but I never looked at the UFC/WWE comparison, so I guess Joe fits in that scenario.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.54%

Joe rogan is a ***** and honestly sucks much of the enjoyment out of watching the UFC. Bas and Pride rule.

Similar Forum Threads

1. PRIDE vs UFC
    By MentalTwitch in forum MMA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
  2. UFC 66 Liddell vs. Ortiz 2
    By NO HYPE in forum MMA
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
  3. UFC 63 Hughes vs Penn/Swick vs Loiseau
    By NO HYPE in forum MMA
    Replies: 22