UFC vs Pride

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. new guy chimes in

Mark Coleman said it best in an interview he gave here (Japan) about a month ago. A UFC title is the equivalent to winning a national title, where as Pride is the top international competition as far as MMA. While Pride does rely on some WWE-like antics and match-ups to appeal to the crowd here, the talent level is much higher than UFC in most cases, especially now with Pride Bushido grabbing alot of the top 83kg guys. UfC has it's fair share of tough guys, but IMO most of em would get their head ripped off and thrown into the balcony in Pride. Arlovski is good, but vs. Fedor would most likely get beat the f*ck down. Same results against Kharnitov, Noguera, etc.......Couture is good IN A CAGE; in a ring is different..........he got smoked by Enson Inoue at the 1999 Japan Vale Tudo Championships cause he had no fence to push off of. That Ground N' Pound sh*t doesn't go over well with the judges here unless you are like Fedor and are literally performing brain surgery on the other guy; Pride refs will stand it up in hopes of someone getting their life's worth of dental work taken care of with a beautiful face stomp.

2. I've just recently gotten into Pride and it is better than the UFC. I like the rules better, the crowd, and the fighters are better. It is crazy to see how much the cage makes a difference. I like the no elbows rule because when you hear UFC fighter after fighter announcing that part of his gameplan is to throw elbows in hopes of opening up a cut and getting a doctor stoppage is crap. I'm not sure, but I also think Pride judges score by who they think wins the fight, and not by tallying rounds, correct? I think that shows an awesome understanding of technical, working fighters.
    •   

3. Well i know that Pride does not test for steriods. As were UFC does. Maybe that is why Pride has more and better heavyweight fighters. Its funny how the heavyweight for UFC (slyvia) got busted for steriods. That along with the more money its going to be hard for UFC to compete especially in the heavyweight class.

4. Damn, maybe I should look into Pride a little more. I wonder if you can rent the DVD's at Blockbuster like you can with the UFC. I sure as hell am not going to pay 50 bucks to watch it on pay-per-view. Anyone know?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    It's not steroids that are making the Pride Heavies better, it's the deeper Brazilian,Russian and K1 talent pool they are drawing from.

As I understand it, Pride pays much better than UFC, they attract a better class of fighter.
    Bingo. The UFC wants GnP fights, but Pride has a better apreciation of tactics (ie: positioning, subs, and etc). The UFC is alsways tring for a gimmick. The UFC seems To try and bring back guys like Shamrock and Tank. You always here White is thinking about getting guys like this in the ring.
    •   

6. BB has Pride dvds for less than $15.

Pride has clowns and showmen as well like Giant Silva. Shamrock and Tank just fought in Pride as well. Difference is that the card is so stacked with superb talent that one or 2 bums don't matter.

For most of the past year the UFC is putting alot of no-name mid level talent and crappy guys like Gannon on the cards and selling it for more money than Pride events. Funny thing is business is booming. ****ing TUF noobs think Diego/Bonner/Griffin is top talent.

7. Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Damn, maybe I should look into Pride a little more. I wonder if you can rent the DVD's at Blockbuster like you can with the UFC. I sure as hell am not going to pay 50 bucks to watch it on pay-per-view. Anyone know?
    I have the Blockbuster online rental deal and my que list is loaded with Pride and UFC vids. It really pisses the wife off.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    I have the Blockbuster online rental deal and my que list is loaded with Pride and UFC vids. It really pisses the wife off.
    Good deal. Thanks.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    It's not steroids that are making the Pride Heavies better, it's the deeper Brazilian,Russian and K1 talent pool they are drawing from.

As I understand it, Pride pays much better than UFC, they attract a better class of fighter.

You kinda miss understood me. Im not in anyway saying that steroids are making them better. Im saying its one less nag that the Pride heavies have to deal with. That along with more money at Pride. Well lets say which one are you going to fight in. Lets also not forget alot of the heavies over there used to fight in UFC

10. I read that Rogan and Wesley Snipes are set to go at each in a special event. That might be interesting.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Oh man, "Cannon" Gannon got beatdown like one of the mismatches from the early UFCs. Those early UFCs were great and terrible, those were really no holds barred bloody mismatches. Oleg Taktarov is making TV movies, wonder what Paul "Polarbear" Varlens and that 600 pound Sumo blob are doing? One a bouncer, the other dead?

Anyone know where to find a free viewing of the Gannon/Kimbo Slice video?, I could'nt find it anywhere.

Where did they find that moron commentator who works with Joe Rogan?, Joe's solid but that other guy, go away.

How about Pride's shreiking female announcer? Yow!, someone at Sherdog wrote that she sounded like a crackwhore getting ass raped with a canoe paddle, too funny.

Someone needs to punch that superior smirk off Dana White's face, hopefully Pride can take US market share and money from his pocket, probably not, the WWE crowd will make the UFC even more wrastle like.
    The Pride announcer lady is the ****. Her Nogueeeeeiiiiiira is simply amazing. You don't like goldberg? I think hes better then Mauro and probably less annoying then Rogan.

12. UFC will be a glorified circus if Snipes-Rogan takes place.

This thread should've stopped at the 2nd post. Comparison between Pride and UFC currently is meaningless and pointless. Its like comparing the Yankees vs the minor leagues.

Its laughable to ascribe steroids and former UFC fighters as the reason for Prides success. Pride has made big strides in collecting some great talent and retaining them the last few years. UFC sat on its ass, rotted and indulged in self-sabotage.

13. I can't stand Joe Rogan anymore. ever since he and that other guy ruined the Man Show. I can never forgive them.

14. Agreed that Joe is terrible in the booth. He's obnoxious and is just no damned good, but I never looked at the UFC/WWE comparison, so I guess Joe fits in that scenario.

15. Joe rogan is a ***** and honestly sucks much of the enjoyment out of watching the UFC. Bas and Pride rule.

16. You guys are pretty harsh on Rogan huh. While Bas is the man, I think that Rogan has become more bearable over the years.

You also can't beat the octagon in UFC, those ropes on the boxing ring for pride have to go. Youve got guys trying to punch through them for christ sake. Also in Pride they stop the fights too early many of the time. But I do like the head stomp in Pride.

Any of you guys see the last Pride- Bushido tournament? That was sick, their lightweight fights were amazing.

I think that Pride is stronger in the lightweight and heavyweight divisions while UFC is stronger in the welterweight division

However I really don't see anyone beating Arlovski right now, I dont care who it is from Pride. Same goes for GSP, and Gomi from Pride. I think those are the top 3 guys out there.

17. The cage favours wrestlers.
    Competitors can still strike through, around, above the ropes in Pride. Since no-one wants to hurt their hands/feet accidently against the fence, the only thing left to do is clinch.

18. Quaid, you don't think anyone can beat Arlovski? I mean don't get me wrong Arlovski is the man, but who has he fought? Most of his wins are against b level fighters. I mean he beat Freeman, Vladdy, Cabbage, Sylvia, Eilers, and Buentello. Those are all b level fighters. I like him, just have'nt seen him tested yet. I think there are 3-5 guys in Pride that would handle him. Fedor, Noquiera, Kharitonov would all beat him IMO, and lil' Emelianenko, Werdum, Hunt, and a few others would give him trouble. The thing with the UFC having a better WW division is that UFC WW = 170. Pride's divisions are 160 and 183. I think the UFC WW division would do well against the Pride LW division, but not against the Pride WW division. Now Pride WW versus UFC middleweight is tough to call. I mean Franklin, Louiseou, Tanner, Prangley, Horn(I'm missing a few) all tough dudes. Then you have for Pride Hendo, Busta, maybe Kondo, Baroni, Chonan. Its tough to call I guess I'd go with UFC MW's. Although I think hendo would wreck anyone 185 and under.

19. Your right in a sense that he hasnt been truely tested by any great fighets yet. And it doesnt look like he will be tested any time soon. I mean Frank Mir testing Arlovski? Arlovski is going to destroy him. I would disagree that there are 3-5 fighters that would hangle him but it is unfortunate that we will probably never know. How exciting would Fedor vs. Arlovski be?!

And unfortunately I havent gotten the chance to see Hendo fight, but now you've got me even more eager to see him.

The only other thing I disagree with is that I personally think Baroni sucks. I mean did you see him at the last Pride? That was embarrassing, has he ever heard of a sprawl? I can't remember the Japaneese guy he fought but he was a B level fighter and he took him down with ease every time, and it was so obvious he was going for it.

20. I'd like to see another Fedor v Cro-cop fight. I was mad to see cro-cop lose and would really like to see him take Fedor, i just think he needs to work alot more on his ground game.

21. Quaid, I agree with you Baroni sucks. I don't know why I threw his name in their. It was Minowa that he could'nt stop from taking him down. That was there second fight, Baroni KO'd him in the first fight. Now that I'm on the Baroni topic, did any of you guys watch him in that toughman challenge on FX about 5 years back. Anyways he acted 10 times worse on their then he does in UFC or Pride. "I'm the ****ing man, repeat 5 times", remember after he beat Menne. Hopefully Pride will get Arlovski eventually(they have been talking with him). Arlovski physically has the potential to be the best, I just dont know if he has the heart/smarts to be the best. Man if they get Arlovski in next years GP along with Fedor, Nogueira, Kharitonov, Cro, and the rest of the Pride Heavies I'm going to Japan.

22. Everyone Arlovski beat were a bunch of cans except for a quick sub of Sylvia. I've never seen him having to dig deep or escape precarious situations against elite opponents.

23. And unfortunately I havent gotten the chance to see Hendo fight, but now you've got me even more eager to see him.
    Henderson is one of my favorite fighters. He used to fight at 205, and would always fight guys 20 + and hold his own. 185 is def. his weight though.
    Though he does have wild, looping punches, if he connects he usually knocks people out.
    He's hurt V. Silva with one of them...
    He fought well again Nog, but eventually lost to sub.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx
    I've got to say that Pride has a way higher caliber of fighter than UFC. I love watching both, but have to say I'm much more impressed with Pride.

Put Cro-Cop or Fedor in the ring with any UFC fighter and you'll have a blood bath...

Lidell is one of the better fighters in UFC and when he tried to fight in Pride he lost to a mid-level fighter...granted this was a few years ago and lidell has gotten better, but I still think it says alot for Pride.
    I know alot of you guys wont agree, but I think the UFC has by far better fighters than pride.

You said about about Liddell losing to mid level fighters, but yet vanderlie lost to Belfort in UFC and Tito beat Vanderlie, so your example isnt very accurate at all. You cant really guage it that way, I dont think.

The bottom line is, pride has way better rules, they allow kicks on the ground and the UFC takes out those things (that is a problem in the UFC)

But if you look at where most of all moves and techniques are developed, its in the UFC.

The only new recent one I have seen out of pride, is the "gator roll" or as Antonio calls it "the anaconda"

Most of the newest techniques come out of the UFC because the calibre of fighters is alot higher.

This comes with a few rules...

First pride has better rules
    UFC has better technique
    Pride allows super heavy weights to fight
    UFC has a cage, and you cant run
    Pride has a better developed heavy weight division...
    UFC has way better lightweight and middle weight and welter weight division

Alot of the fighters that make up pride are fighters that couldnt stay long in the UFC, but then you have great russians like fedor and kharitonov, you have mirco and the K1 fighters, so pride has developed more a broad sense of taking all comers, even ones that are down on their luck like phil baroni.

Look what Yeves edwards did... he wanted to fight the best in his divison and it wasnt in the UFC... so he went to pride. But you see tons of Japanese coming to UFC as well, to test themselves.

For most fighters if you ask them, they will tell you, the first show they seen was the UFC as it is the Grand daddy of the sport and pride is just a new comer on to the scene. Most want to fight in the UFC but wont get a chance.

I personally love the pride rules, the kicks and stomps. I hate whiners that say, take out the kicks. I think they need to bring back old school Vale tudo rules with head butts, ground kicks and other things but in the UFC that is not possible as people get injured too quickly with kicks against the fence.

So in that issue pride is much better.

if you take the best fighters in the world, you can see who rules, the ufc or pride and its a combination of the two

SUPER HEAVYWEIGHTS:
    PRIDE:
    waterman, sapp, Zulu

UFC:
    NONE WAHHHHHHH

PRIDE IS BETTER IN SUPER HEAVYWEIGHTS

HEAVYWEIGHTS
    Pride:
    Fedor, sergie, nogueria (three really strong ones and many more)

UFC: heavyweight
    arlovski, Frank Mir, Sivlia, Cabbage (2 strong ones)

PRIDE WINS

Light heavyweights
    Pride:
    Ninja, Vanderlie, nogueria, volchanchyn, rampage

UFC:
    tito, belfort, liddell, couture, forrest, Sobral, bonnar, Wiuff, and many more

UFC has the lightweight division easy in my opinion

Middleweights
    Pride:
    Filho, yushin okami, rodrigo gracie (non existant division)

UFC:
    leben, rich franklin, tanner, swick, jermey horn, Loiseau, quarry, hallman, shonie, doerkson (i could go on)

Again UFC all the way in mid weight

Welterweight
    Too big to list for UFC compared to pride. Ufc has major depth in the welterweights. hughs, st pierre, trigg on and on

I give the lightweight and featherweight to Pride

So....

Super heavyweights = Pride
    Heavyweights = Pride
    LightHeavy = UFC
    Midde = UFC
    Welter = UFC
    Light = Pride (most of ufcs fighters went to pride for competition
    fly = Pride

You can look at this as 4 against 3 for pride, but I look at more factors than this

------
    so pride owns the top and the bottom.. UFC owns the middle

Its pretty even if you ask me. I personally like prides rules and UFCs technique and if I had to choose one...

I would choose UFC

25. Quote Originally Posted by Quaid
    You guys are pretty harsh on Rogan huh. While Bas is the man, I think that Rogan has become more bearable over the years.

You also can't beat the octagon in UFC, those ropes on the boxing ring for pride have to go. Youve got guys trying to punch through them for christ sake. Also in Pride they stop the fights too early many of the time. But I do like the head stomp in Pride.

Any of you guys see the last Pride- Bushido tournament? That was sick, their lightweight fights were amazing.

I think that Pride is stronger in the lightweight and heavyweight divisions while UFC is stronger in the welterweight division

However I really don't see anyone beating Arlovski right now, I dont care who it is from Pride. Same goes for GSP, and Gomi from Pride. I think those are the top 3 guys out there.

I think.. fedor would smoke on arlovski... I think nogueria and Frank mir would both submit orlovski

I think arlovski rocks, but I agree, he hasnt really been tested. No where close to what nogueira and fedor have been tested.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. PRIDE vs UFC
    By MentalTwitch in forum MMA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
  2. UFC 66 Liddell vs. Ortiz 2
    By NO HYPE in forum MMA
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
  3. UFC 63 Hughes vs Penn/Swick vs Loiseau
    By NO HYPE in forum MMA