looking for a mma gym

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I got to work out at a muay thai gym today. They train for MMA. It was a pretty good workout I did more kicks than I can count and then I got to do some type of grappling where they try to pull your head down. This 150pnd guy who's a champ at something was literally hanging off of my neck trying to pull my head down. So that was kind of cool.

Next week I'll try out a jujitsu gym to see what that's like.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Don't know if you've seen this, but this might help
http://www.mma.tv/schools/

or
bjj.org

I've been researching places in case I move and so far I've found that a lot of acadamies are expensive and get moreso with added styles and classes. The base price for jits classes 2x/week is about $80. One school charged more for thai boxing, and even more for mma.

I've never been to a "real" school before, I just take classes on post for free. They're not the best, but occasionally we get big time instuctors to come in. The prices were a real eye opener for me, especially if I have to pay dues at a gym for lifting on top of all this.

Anyways, good luck with your search.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I kind of liked the thai boxing, and the guy teaches wrestling and submission. The price for that gym is really reasonable 50 dollars per month for 2 hour classes twice per week. Of course I have to be accepted in first, as the ammount of students he can train is limited.

The workout wasn't nearly as fast paced as my kickboxing class though so I shouldn't count that school out either yet.

Boy do I ever feel last nights workout in my neck.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I've seen some outrageous prices for various MA classes. NY seemed to be the highest around and Gracie Academies charge top dollar, $300/month. Most reputable places should let you try them out for a month at a discounted rate so shop around to find a place that suits you.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Well I worked out at a jujitsu school tonight. I think I liked that gym better than the muay thai. The rates are equally reasonable, and I think I will learn more techniques at the jujitsu. Another thing I like is I could go to like 7 classes a week. Not that I would but I could try. :cheers:

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Classical jiu jitsu with a gi on? do they do any no gi stuff?
cool stuff man, shop around as much as you can. I can usually only train 2x a week if im working full time anyways

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Gi = pajamas that you wear when you wrestle.

So no-gi is more submission wrestling based, where as gi jiu jitsu is more technical and less athletic.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Your regular kickboxing class should NOT have been faster-paced than your Muay Thai class.. I used to take Muay Thai and it was like boot camp.

I'm not sure if regular Jiu Jitsu is the same as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If it is, then it's grappling. And yes, there will be a lot more strategy in grappling than there will be with Muay Thai. In Muay Thai you SIMPLY learn how to bash the hell out of your opponent. ...and to out-stamina him. You basically do the same thing in every class over and over and over again. And over again. :)

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Gi = pajamas that you wear when you wrestle.
One guy was wearing a uniform so I think that's optional. I think wearing pants might be better than shorts because I have this weird purple rug burn/bruise on the side of my knee.

So no-gi is more submission wrestling based, where as gi jiu jitsu is more technical and less athletic.
I'll have to find out but but I think it's no-gi. I was wrestling the instructor and he put me in like 3 submission moves that took him like 5 seconds each.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Your regular kickboxing class should NOT have been faster-paced than your Muay Thai class.. I used to take Muay Thai and it was like boot camp.
I think my kickboxing was geared more for fitness. I had to push my endurance further and further every day. That thai class was geared more to fighting, but it seemed easy for me when other guys were running out of air.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if regular Jiu Jitsu is the same as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If it is, then it's grappling.
BJJ and traditional jits are different. They both emphasize ground tactics, but traditional jits is very technical, uses a lot of gi techniques, little intricate locks, and is just a lot different. BJJ evolved when a Japanese master, Maeda, moved to Brazil and taught Carlos Gracie jits. The art was then refined in real fights where a lot of the little technical stuff held little value, and developed the guard tactics. Renzo wrote a book on BJJ and the first half of the book goes into a lot of detail about the history of jits, bjj, and combative theory.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Of course check out what I got going in my basement. :woohoo:

I swear I didn't draw that dumb face on the wall, the lady I bought the house from was nuts.

Attachments

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Paint over that or something.

Thats creepy

:wtf: