TUF II

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
OK, I've been meaning to start this thread for a while now. After the first episode, I had big Mike winning the heavyweights and Jorge winning the ww's. So what the hell happened to him last night?

I think maybe jumping up to 175 hurt his conditioning. He looked fat, and out of gas after taking it to Jason in the first round. I think he spent the last of his strength trying for that RNC. I wondered if that was the case and hoped for a doc stoppage because of Jason's cut after the first. He def. got pushed around for the rest of the fight, made a few attempts at armbars, but just wasn't strong enough to complete them. Jorge was def. the better fighter, just in the wrong weight class. Jason showed great heart in that fight, though. I am curious why there was no after the fight interview for George. Was he pissed an disappointed? I plan on moving back to Ohio in the next few months and will be lving in the Cinci or Columbus area. Jorge has gyms in both areas and I hope to have the funds to train under him and Rich.

As far as the season goes, I think Rich is being outcoached, or at least they aren't showing Rich coach much at all. Also, what is Rich going to do without his friend and team leader? I'm leaning towards Joe winning the ww's now, and am sticking with Mike as the hw to beat.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK, I've been meaning to start this thread for a while now. After the first episode, I had big Mike winning the heavyweights and Jorge winning the ww's. So what the hell happened to him last night?

I think maybe jumping up to 175 hurt his conditioning. He looked fat, and out of gas after taking it to Jason in the first round. I think he spent the last of his strength trying for that RNC. I wondered if that was the case and hoped for a doc stoppage because of Jason's cut after the first. He def. got pushed around for the rest of the fight, made a few attempts at armbars, but just wasn't strong enough to complete them. Jorge was def. the better fighter, just in the wrong weight class. Jason showed great heart in that fight, though. I am curious why there was no after the fight interview for George. Was he pissed an disappointed? I plan on moving back to Ohio in the next few months and will be lving in the Cinci or Columbus area. Jorge has gyms in both areas and I hope to have the funds to train under him and Rich.

As far as the season goes, I think Rich is being outcoached, or at least they aren't showing Rich coach much at all. Also, what is Rich going to do without his friend and team leader? I'm leaning towards Joe winning the ww's now, and am sticking with Mike as the hw to beat.
I was so glad to see a good fight like that on there, the show needed it! I think Jason was underestimated by everyone - Hughes especially didn't think much of him. His reach definitely looked like it helped him, but he's also got a good chin. Jorge seemed to have trouble getting inside, and like you said, he seemed to gas faster than I thought he would. Jason did a good job following what his corner said, and that helped him avoid Jorge's subs.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I was very surprised Jason beat Jorge...I too, thought Jorge was going to make it to the finals (against Joe...who now, I think will win the entire thing, unless he gets injured).
I haven't seen enough of the HWs to make a guess...I've seen that Brad (cowboy) fight on WEC a few times, and he looks pretty good...
Matt Hughes is kinda coming off as a jerk in the show, while Franklin is more laid back...This is a complete surprise to me...I always thought Matt Hughes would be cool.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Exactly INTV. Not only that, Jorge doesn't seem to have much behind his punches. He seems to me to just be a mouth. Classic Napolean complex. I, actually, didn't expect him to do as well as he did. For a kickboxer, he didn't seem to have some BASIC skills, like moving his head. The only thing that I can compliment him on is his ability to take a punch. I think the better fighter won.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have seen jorge compete in KOTC and he is a badass at 155, i havent seen the fight on TUF, but i would imagine the size and strength factor would weigh in against him.

I also had jorge winning the WW

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Also, UFC has no 155 class. If they did I am sure Dana would have plans for him after this. If he can put on some good size without the fat, I'm sure he could do well at 170. The facts that he is Rich's boy and that Dana loved the fight makes me think we will see him again.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but even at 155 he had nothing on his punches. I can understand him getting gassed sooner but I also would have expected him to knock Jason down...at least once. Plus he was getting rocked left and right. He has absolutely no ground-game because he could've had Jason a coupla times but he just isn't a finisher. I don't feel like it was just the added weight that worked against him. It's not like he was clearly displaying ring-generalship and then gassed out. Just wasn't the case. Don't get me wrong, he has tons of heart but despite popular opinion, that is rarely enough. He sure does talk a good game, though.

NJLovehandles

Awards
what time is the replay on, wednesday at 11?

size

Awards
  • Established
Reach.
Gurgel is 5'9" if not shorter.
Von Flu is 6'1".
Gurgel is going to have a hard time striking with someone that much taller.

It was known before the show that Gurgel would not win b/c he had been seen at some fights on crutches, apparently he had knee surgery to corret his injury.

I think, Joe Stevenson is going to win the WW in my opinion despite his bad gyno. :eek:

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yep the reason Gurgel is competing at 170 is because UFC cut out the 155 weight class.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Reach.
Gurgel is 5'9" if not shorter.
Von Flu is 6'1".
Gurgel is going to have a hard time striking with someone that much taller.

It was known before the show that Gurgel would not win b/c he had been seen at some fights on crutches, apparently he had knee surgery to corret his injury.

I think, Joe Stevenson is going to win the WW in my opinion despite his bad gyno. :eek:
Yeah, I heard the same rumors from folks in Cincinnati that he has been seen at the bar with a brace on.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah well the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and when he was on the ground, not only did he rarely improve his position he was getting slapped around like he stole somthing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Also, UFC has no 155 class. If they did I am sure Dana would have plans for him after this. If he can put on some good size without the fat, I'm sure he could do well at 170. The facts that he is Rich's boy and that Dana loved the fight makes me think we will see him again.
You think he could do well at 170 in the UFC? He would get killed. I mean Pride has about 10 guys at 160 that would demolish him. Jorge has average ground game, crappy standup, and like Bionic said he is certainly not a finisher. There is probably no future for him in MMA besides training guys. Stevenson on the other hand will easily win the WW TUF2, barring some freak injury. He could hang in the UFC, especially if he got his head on straight(he's kind of like a little kid).

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Neither of my picks made it. I did read the spoilers for who made the finals a few weeks ago, and so far, with the semi matchups, and Luke's win tonight, they appear to be dead on. That's all I'll say about them.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Wow luke impressed the hell out of me tonight, although i didnt see how his standup is all that great..

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
After seeing some of the talent levels, im seriously considering it.
I saw the luke and sammy fight and while it was a good throwdown, i would have stepped up, and i feel i could have beaten either of those guys. Their ground looked pretty weak, and standup sloppy.. but i guess i have yet to see replays of my mma fights to compare :D

Stevenson is the real deal, i got big money on him winning the finals and getting the contract.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No doubt Stevenson is gonna win for the ww's. I'm picking Big Brad to win for the heavies(I believe all the other heavies underestimate him). Kris you definitely should apply for next season's TUF, but you said you think you could've taken either Sammy or Luke, maybe, but you'd have to cut about 40 pounds to fight those guys(or cut off a leg).

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Well, the spoilers still hold true with Rashad's win over Keith. I have mixed feelings about Rashad. I think he fights smart and appears to be a great wrestler, but he's fought three times and hasn't finnished once. That lack of intensity doesn't lead to longevity in the UFC, even if he does win. Dana seems to have very little patience with technical fighters that can't end a fight without going to the judges. Still, out of his 3 fights, he took 2 better fighters out of their game and made them look confused.

The Xience and Right Guard placement spots are old and annoying. Do I really need to see the fighters put on their deo. every morning? Isn't seeing the Bam commercial every 10 minutes enough?

Pushofabutton

Awards
u have to remember that these guys have had about 3 months post show to train and get healthy. I think they will look alot better this weekend. I hope luke wins it.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Didn't get to see the last episode and won't see the finals, but the spoilers were correct. I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome of these fights.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The TUF2 finals was a good show but I'm irritated at the general trend in UFC.

First level of talent is poor to mediocre. TUF is not skimming the cream of the crop but more like scraping the bottom of the barrel. Stevenson is a stud but he is a blown up 155'er. Rashad and Imes are former college athletes with 1 yr of MMA training.

I respect Rashad. He proved he is a solid athlete when he wasn't outmuscled by Whitehead in the challenge and beat him up in the fight. But he is a blown up middleweight and didn't hesitate to say he would be dropping down immediately after his win.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And 4 fights in 3 hours is ridiculously long.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I thought the fights were good. I'm glad Diego shut Diaz's fat mouth with a dominating performance. Diaz is a punkass kid who still couldn't give Diego props after having his ass handed to him on a platter.