Best way to condition for kickboxing

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Mma guy for 17 years before it was cool to do and a nasm personal trainer. Box jumps cause you to blow out your achillis tendons. Those swinging chinups cause you to destroy your rotators. Excessive anything is bad for your body. Read up on crossfit induced injuries.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

2. Ok we can have an arms race but I dont think I need to throw down all my credentials academically, or as fighter & trainer. But I will say am not naive or new at this either. I mentioned how long I have been fighting simply to say that of all the fads or simply diff types of workouts I've come across... High intensity Circuit style training has been the best to get me in shape as a fighter.

Do intense workouts cause strain on ur body... Potential injuries... Wear and tear... Yes! Especially when overdone and incorrectly. Do I agree with EVERY workout use in crossfit, muay Thai or jiu-jitsu training. No. But overall I think it is a great way to train urself. But ppl have to stretch (flexibility is taken for granted way too often) and kno their limits. Ppl often down know difference between simply pushing themselves and overdoing it.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal
    Mma guy for 17 years before it was cool to do and a nasm personal trainer. Box jumps cause you to blow out your achillis tendons. Those swinging chinups cause you to destroy your rotators. Excessive anything is bad for your body. Read up on crossfit induced injuries.
    Sry if I came off as an a** talking down to u. I just was trying to put my 2 cents in about good training. But yes I also agree with u about injuries. Certain exercises are not the best. But I don't come up with them all. I am simply speaking on behalf of high intensity circuit training.

Btw if u have other workouts that u think are better I'm always open for new stuff I haven't come across yet. As I said... This is probably my one n only passion in life. (I kno kinda sad)

4. Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    U think those are injury prone movements?
    Yes crossfit is

Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    Other than actually fighting... Crossfit is the best for strength.
    Nope it isnt

russian conjugate periodization > crossfit for any athlete really, not just MMA
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

5. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

Yes crossfit is

Nope it isnt

russian conjugate periodization > crossfit for any athlete really, not just MMA
    Ive read about that actually. Haven't tried it myself yet. Maybe I will as for crossfit. I agree. Is not just for MMA ppl.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    Ive read about that actually. Haven't tried it myself yet. Maybe I will as for crossfit. I agree. Is not just for MMA ppl.
    You must of misunderstood me.. I wasnt suggesting that crossfit was good for MMA or any other athlete, I was saying conjugate periodization would be FAR better choice over crossfit for any athlete.

Crossfit itself is overhyped. The only good to come from it is it made lifts like the clean and press popular again and have encouraged people to step away from the single joint machines and more towards barbells, kettlebells, sandbags and other unconventional resistance equipment BUT at the same time crossfit has encouraged horrible form and this idea of using highly technical oly lifts for high reps as a conditioning tool, which does not but re-enforce bad movement patterns (encouraging bad form), is by biggest problem with crossfit. Not to mention this idea that you can make this generalized program for an entire group of people to follow, with no individualization or attention to muscular imbalances.

Crossfit is not the be all end all it is made out to be, in fact it is very far from it in my opinion
    PESCIENCE.COM

7. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

You must of misunderstood me.. I wasnt suggesting that crossfit was good for MMA or any other athlete, I was saying conjugate periodization would be FAR better choice over crossfit for any athlete.

Crossfit itself is overhyped. The only good to come from it is it made lifts like the clean and press popular again and have encouraged people to step away from the single joint machines and more towards barbells, kettlebells, sandbags and other unconventional resistance equipment BUT at the same time crossfit has encouraged horrible form and this idea of using highly technical oly lifts for high reps as a conditioning tool, which does not but re-enforce bad movement patterns (encouraging bad form), is by biggest problem with crossfit. Not to mention this idea that you can make this generalized program for an entire group of people to follow, with no individualization or attention to muscular imbalances.

Crossfit is not the be all end all it is made out to be, in fact it is very far from it in my opinion
    Yes I do agree I see people striving for a better time or more reps in a certain time period that their form is awful and I'm sure they feel it the next couple days at the very least. I've gotten a lot of funny looks from men twice my size when I caution them bc I look at them and am like "he's gonna hurt his back,.." I actually warned a guy doing hang cleans with kettlebells about his form... Only to maybe 3 reps later to see him break his wrist bc since I'm a girl I must not kno what I'm talking about. I kno I'm not perfect. I'm sure there r times my form has suffered when I get tired n to lost last reps... But I appreciate the constructive criticism over the alternative of a potential injury.

Anyways. I will try out ur recommendation. As I said I'm always open to new workout styles. I've dabbled in a bit of everything (some for just one sessions cuz they really weren't for me,..)

8. Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post

Anyways. I will try out ur recommendation. As I said I'm always open to new workout styles. I've dabbled in a bit of everything (some for just one sessions cuz they really weren't for me,..)
    I am a big fan of Defrancos WS4SB program as a basic outline of what to do.

and then there is Louie Simmons (weatside barbell) who has written on this

Or if you want, you can read from the people who pioneered this training system verkhoshansky (supertraining) and zatsiorsky (science and practice of strength training) but I will warn you both of these books are very technical books but the information presented makes them a must read IMO.

WS4SB is a outstanding program on its own and DeFranco provides you with a pretty good base template to start out with
    PESCIENCE.COM

9. On a coincidental note, I just had an argument with a guy who runs a CF gym and had to explain to him how it creates horrible muscle imbalances due to their prevalence of vertical plane movements. It's pretty established on this board about my hatred of CF and the lack of technique and programming.

Sports-specific training is as the name implies: specific to the nature of the sport. Their is very little, if anything, about CF that is specific for MMA. When CF starts to implement things like accommodating resistance, conjugate periodization, and properly uses plyometrics, then I might not denounce it so much, but I highly doubt that'll ever happen.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I am a big fan of Defrancos WS4SB program as a basic outline of what to do.

and then there is Louie Simmons (weatside barbell) who has written on this

Or if you want, you can read from the people who pioneered this training system verkhoshansky (supertraining) and zatsiorsky (science and practice of strength training) but I will warn you both of these books are very technical books but the information presented makes them a must read IMO.

WS4SB is a outstanding program on its own and DeFranco provides you with a pretty good base template to start out with
    Have you read the Siff/Verkhoshansky book? I've been wanting to get it, but it is very pricey.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Have you read the Siff/Verkhoshansky book? I've been wanting to get it, but it is very pricey.
    Sort of kind of..i have read bits and pieces here and there but not the entire book. It reads like how a school textbook would. I usually flip though it when I am questioning something or when I look up someone else's reference (as supertraining is referenced quit a bit in lots of coaches articles). It is worth the $60 in my opinion.
    PESCIENCE.COM

12. Plyometrics! Also another great workout. I'm not the biggest fan of following a DVD n working out (just not for me) but I must say insanity is pretty intense for cardio and working ur muscles. Just another idea for great endurance building cardio workouts. Especially if u don't have time to go to the gym n want something more than just goin on a run. Usually avg 45 min long sessions including warmup n 2 stretch periods.

13. Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    Plyometrics! Also another great workout. I'm not the biggest fan of following a DVD n working out (just not for me) but I must say insanity is pretty intense for cardio and working ur muscles. Just another idea for great endurance building cardio workouts. Especially if u don't have time to go to the gym n want something more than just goin on a run. Usually avg 45 min long sessions including warmup n 2 stretch periods.
    Plyometrics, like the Oly lifts, are not to be used for conditioning. They are highly technical movements that require very low reps followed by complete recovery.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

14. Quote Originally Posted by JesstheIbex View Post
    U think those are injury prone movements? Then u either are overdoing ur limit or ur not as flexible as u need to be in order to b a fighter. After 10 years of competitive fighting there nothing is going that will put u at higher risk for injury that rolling and sparing (which are essential to training)

If u want to make it to the ring ur gonna have to out ur body thru some tough s***
    Other than actually fighting... Crossfit is the best for strength. Cardio. And explosive exercises. Since MMA requires u to do all of the above AT THE SAME TIME. If u don't simulate that... U won't make even 3 rounds they have for amateur fighting.

As for the box jumps. It's not my favorite exercise but If ur not confident on ur balance to do it. Either 1) simply due repetitive jump squats or 2) balance on 1 leg on the 1/2 balance ball to build up ankle/knee strength/stability so u don't have to worry about ur ankle giving in and injuring urself. (I've already been thru 1 torn ankle I not something I'd like to experience again)

*sry MMA is my passion. I can go on all day about it... So excuse the length of this post.
    I would say something but you clearly have said it all...REPPED

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Plyometrics, like the Oly lifts, are not to be used for conditioning. They are highly technical movements that require very low reps followed by complete recovery.
    This.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lifting and conditioning for kickboxing?
    By tubbednova in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 10:11 AM
  2. Pre kickboxing snack
    By tubbednova in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM
  3. Getting into kickboxing. Ideas?
    By Roguearthur in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 08:40 AM
  4. 6 Day Bodybuilding/Kickboxing Split