MMA Top 10 Pound-for-Pound: Jon Jones Surges

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The last time I ranked the Top 10 pound-for-pound fighters in MMA, I heard from a lot of readers who thought it was too early to have Jon Jones on the list.

No one is going to say that now.

After Jones smashed "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128, the question isn't whether Jones is one of the sport's Top 10 pound-for-pound fighters -- everyone agrees that he is. Now the question is just how high Jones belongs on the pound-for-pound list.

I think Jones is doing things we haven't seen before, and dominating his opponents in ways that few fighters can equal, and so I have Jones among the truly elite on my latest list, which is below.

(Number in parentheses is the fighter's rank in the last pound-for-pound list.)

1. Anderson Silva (1): Silva has so thoroughly cleaned out the middleweight division that everyone is talking about putting him in a superfight against the champion of another weight class. If that's what happens, I'd rather see Silva take on Jones than take on Georges St. Pierre. As the best fighter in the sport, Silva should test himself by taking on a bigger opponent, not a smaller opponent.

2. Georges St Pierre (2): The upcoming fight with Jake Shields is a great example of how we've all just come to expect consistent greatness from GSP: Shields is a terrific fighter who's riding a 15-fight winning streak, and yet it's hard to find anyone who really thinks Shields has much of a chance. We can practically hear Bruce Buffer announcing that all three judges scored the fight 50-45 for St. Pierre right now. That's just what's assume of GSP these days.

3. Jon Jones (9): Is it too soon to put Jones up this high? I don't think so. Not after the way he destroyed a legend in Shogun. Not after the way he's dominated everyone he's faced, from Ryan Bader to Vladimir Matyushenko to Brandon Vera and even Matt Hamill in the fight Jones lost by disqualification. Jones isn't just winning, he's winning like Secretariat in the Belmont. No one at 205 pounds is close.

4. Jose Aldo (3): The featherweight division is arguably the UFC's weakest, and that means it's a little tough to gauge Aldo against the champions of the deeper weight classes. But he's been spectacular so far, building up an 18-1 record at age 24, and I expect him to whip Mark Hominick at UFC 129.

5. Dominick Cruz (5): Cruz has a 17-1 record and only a couple of those 17 wins have even been close. So there's no arguing with what he's accomplished in the sport so far. However, the one loss is to Urijah Faber, who will now challenge Cruz for the bantamweight belt. We'll find out in the rematch whether Cruz has improved enough since losing to Faber in 2007 to really be considered one of the sport's elite, or whether Faber will be back on the pound-for-pound list.

6. Frank Edgar (6): It's amazing how much the lightweight division in MMA has changed in the last year. Before Edgar beat B.J. Penn in April of 2010, the lightweight class was viewed as fairly weak, with Penn head and shoulders above the rest. Now it's viewed as a shark tank full of challenges, with a long line of contenders already in the UFC, coming to the UFC from the WEC or (eventually) coming to the UFC from Strikeforce. But one thing that hasn't changed since April is that Edgar is at the head of the class.

7. Gray Maynard (7): First in line for Edgar's belt is Maynard, who fought him to a draw in January and gets a rematch in May. Maynard has a great chance of dethroning Edgar, but if he loses he'll spend the rest of his career kicking himself for failing to finish Edgar in the first round of their classic New Year's Day fight.

8. Cain Velasquez (8): The king of the heavyweights remains out of commission, awaiting a bout with the Brock Lesnar-Junior dos Santos winner, likely in the fall.

9. Joseph Benavidez (10): Having now moved from the WEC to the UFC, Benavidez just keeps winning, taking a unanimous decision over Ian Loveland at UFC 128. Benavidez is 14-2, with the only two losses coming to Cruz, even though he's fighting in a weight class above where he should be. I still maintain that the UFC needs to start a 125-pound flyweight division, and that if that ever happens Benavidez will reign as the division's champion. For now, he's just below championship-caliber, while consistently fighting bigger opponents.

10. Jon Fitch (NR): After a controversial draw with B.J. Penn in February, Fitch will get a chance to finish things in their rematch in July. I thought he deserved to win the first fight, and I think he'll beat Penn more convincingly the second time around and show that even if he can't beat St. Pierre, he's better than anyone else at 170 pounds.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
Nice list! I'll agree with you, I definitely think Jon Jones should be on the top p4p list.

I don't think it would be wise for Silva to move up a weight class and fight Jones though. It would be awesome for the fans but not worth the risk imo for him personally. He only has a few fights left on his contract and he stated before he's retiring after that. I believe he wants to retire as the best middleweight on the planet. If he beats GSP however who else is left to give him a run?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice list! I'll agree with you, I definitely think Jon Jones should be on the top p4p list.

I don't think it would be wise for Silva to move up a weight class and fight Jones though. It would be awesome for the fans but not worth the risk imo for him personally. He only has a few fights left on his contract and he stated before he's retiring after that. I believe he wants to retire as the best middleweight on the planet. If he beats GSP however who else is left to give him a run?
Sorry, I should have indicated a source, I didn't actually create the list, just a cut & paste article, but thanks anyway :cheers: and I agree with you.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I hate the fact Boring Fitch is on the list, regardless of his stats. I hope BJ beats him but I don't see it.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
Jones comes from a line of natural athletes, he has 2 brothers playing football, I know one plays for the Ravens, and another in college I believe if not pro already?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jones comes from a line of natural athletes, he has 2 brothers playing football, I know one plays for the Ravens, and another in college I believe if not pro already?
I think his older brother is playing pro, but his younger hasn't gone pro (yet). Yeah, he was manufactured from an outstanding DNA pool, athletically speaking.

ChrisSurf

Awards
I think his older brother is playing pro, but his younger hasn't gone pro (yet). Yeah, he was manufactured from an outstanding DNA pool, athletically speaking.
Yeh his older Bro plays for the Ravens.... he's a big boy, Bones height but weighs over 300lbs.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
This lineup is crap, for one how is Alistair Overeem not on this? John Jones didnt win based upon skill against Shogun, he clearly dominated based upon genetic fortitude. Once again another list created by someone who has never been in the ring.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
This lineup is crap, for one how is Alistair Overeem not on this? John Jones didnt win based upon skill against Shogun, he clearly dominated based upon genetic fortitude. Once again another list created by someone who has never been in the ring.
Make a top 10 list in you're opinion then.. im interested to see it.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
What does skill really have to play into it? You could be the most skilled person out there, but without natural abilities, you are not going to be the best. That's like the weakest kid you know training to be a BJJ Black Belt, and having someone with natural abilities trained half as well winning. Genetics and our age old theory of SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!!!

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Make a top 10 list in you're opinion then.. im interested to see it.
Hmm give me some time to compile that good sir. It is a hard thing to ask but off the top of my head I would toss in anderson silva, john bones jones (didnt say he wasnt skilled, just his size is the number one worry about fighting him), Alistair Overeem, full of GH or not he is skilled and strong. I hate to say it but nick diaz is up there, he actually has boxing skill and ground skill, which are a rare combo in the sport most people have one or the other. I'll present a viable list just give me time haha.

What does skill really have to play into it? You could be the most skilled person out there, but without natural abilities, you are not going to be the best. That's like the weakest kid you know training to be a BJJ Black Belt, and having someone with natural abilities trained half as well winning. Genetics and our age old theory of SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!!!
Haha. A lot, the best means you are the best at your particular practice. Meaning you have skill above all others. Agreed it is subjective to considering the best on skill sometimes are defeated by genetic monsters. Other times skill overwhelms, Rickson Gracy was known to dominate younger stronger opponents.

Lightweight1

Lightweight1

Awards
  • Established
Hmm give me some time to compile that good sir. It is a hard thing to ask but off the top of my head I would toss in anderson silva, john bones jones (didnt say he wasnt skilled, just his size is the number one worry about fighting him), Alistair Overeem, full of GH or not he is skilled and strong. I hate to say it but nick diaz is up there, he actually has boxing skill and ground skill, which are a rare combo in the sport most people have one or the other. I'll present a viable list just give me time haha.
Ok no problem my man i just want to see how greatly your list would differ from others. I like Alistair Overeem as well, hahah and yeah look what site im on i dont care about what he's taking other then i want some so I can be a beast as well. :lol:

Antabolix

Awards
I like Jones alot, he's tearin it up! He hasn't been around long enough to be tested much, but he has TONS of talent and he's a good guy.

ken22

ken22

Awards
Andeson Silva has done a little experimenting at light heavy. Silva Jones? that would be almost as good as Silva St Pierre.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Andeson Silva has done a little experimenting at light heavy. Silva Jones? that would be almost as good as Silva St Pierre.
At this point & time, Silva/Jones outweighs Silva/GSP. Jones has every advantage GSP has against Silva, but gives up none of the downfalls, like size, weight, reach, strength.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Totally forgot about this sorry haha.

1. Alistair Overeem, he has already proven himself in K1 standing up. At this point, his size/strength I doubt he can be beaten by any jiu jitsu practitioner, maybe a great wrestler. Hell his big brother is a badass too.

Honestly I think 2-10 are a tossup. Here are some of my favorite though in no particular order.

. Anderson Silva

. St. Pierre

. Shinya Aoki

. Nick Diaz

. Misha Tate, hottest MMA fighter out there haha.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As much as I want to punch this douche bag in the face, and as much as I think he's a ***** for making excuses why not to fight Mayhem, I really think Nick Diaz needs to start making it onto this list.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
As much as I want to punch this douche bag in the face, and as much as I think he's a ***** for making excuses why not to fight Mayhem, I really think Nick Diaz needs to start making it onto this list.

Agreed, I hate the guy but he is a great fighter that does keep learning unlike many.

dfizzle

Awards
Diaz has to go on the list. And Overeem should be included in at least the top 5 if not top 3. He's been smoking opponents for yrs and always fights top tier comp. He has great stand up, hell he dominated the K 1 tournament. As far as GH, I think most of the fighters in pro mma atte using it, why wouldn't u since there's no testing for it. I'm sure aas are just as rampant.

mh625

Awards
With everything that Alistair Overeem has done this past year I think he need to be somewhere on that list.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Eh Fedor before he really let himself go, as he beat a bunch of bigger dudes and was undisputed for such a long time. He was quite small for a heavyweight and pretty damned skilled without looking like he used roids. If he ever did decide to cut proper I think he could have had the weight to drop to a lower class (never heavy muscled or big) - not that he needed to drop to a lower class to win though. His last 2 fights, if you rock up to the octagon with the BMI of an obese, you aren't prepared to compete at an international level.

Either train proper and prepare for a fight like you should or retire if you don't have the drive anymore. He really should have retired with the stellar score before rocking up just for some cash.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Eh Fedor before he really let himself go, as he beat a bunch of bigger dudes and was undisputed for such a long time. He was quite small for a heavyweight and pretty damned skilled without looking like he used roids. If he ever did decide to cut proper I think he could have had the weight to drop to a lower class (never heavy muscled or big) - not that he needed to drop to a lower class to win though. His last 2 fights, if you rock up to the octagon with the BMI of an obese, you aren't prepared to compete at an international level.

Either train proper and prepare for a fight like you should or retire if you don't have the drive anymore. He really should have retired with the stellar score before rocking up just for some cash.
You make it sound like he lost to UFC fighters. Fabricio verdum was a pride fighter, and bigfoot was from elite xc, then strikeforce. Anyway,3 losses out of a career isn't a big deal.

methodice

methodice

Awards
  • Established
Yes but before rocking up seemingly not that well trained in 2010-11 he had a flawless record. The early loss only due to excess blood and the fight had to be stopped. He fought the same dude shortly after and thrashed him. So essentially an undefeated record all those many years.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Diaz gets hit way to much,. doesn't deserve any list at this point!!

mjtags67

Awards
how good a fight would it be to see jones and silva go at it..