UFC buys Strikeforce

iron fists

Awards
Its official....the ufc now owns strikeforce!!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And MMA is a year or two from being flushed down the ****ter.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Great, Dana White, the dictator...

Awesome, now fighters do not have a choice...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW is following the Vince McMahon school of business: buy out your competitors.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before you get too dismayed. Strikeforce will still exist as Strikeforece. Strikeforce fighters will still be Strikeforce fighters, not UFC fighters. Coker is a partner, the only consequence of UFC buying Strikeforce is that it now opens the possibility of UFC fighters, fighting in Strikeforce and vice versa.

Strikeforce is still going to be contracted with Showtime. M1 still owns Fedor, as M1 has a contract with Strikeforce and Showtime. There won't be a big meshing and the two organizations will still remain separate. No super fights, like Fedor/Velasquez or anything, no co-promotions. UFC only owns Strikeforce, but Strikeforce will remain Strikeforce and separate from the UFC.

Dana intends to make the UFC the premier brand, not a UFC/Strikeforce brand.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before you get too dismayed. Strikeforce will still exist as Strikeforece. Strikeforce fighters will still be Strikeforce fighters, not UFC fighters. Coker is a partner, the only consequence of UFC buying Strikeforce is that it now opens the possibility of UFC fighters, fighting in Strikeforce and vice versa.

Strikeforce is still going to be contracted with Showtime. M1 still owns Fedor, as M1 has a contract with Strikeforce and Showtime. There won't be a big meshing and the two organizations will still remain separate. No super fights, like Fedor/Velasquez or anything, no co-promotions. UFC only owns Strikeforce, but Strikeforce will remain Strikeforce and separate from the UFC.

Thanks for that info Volcom. What you said makes me feel a little better about it

mattingly

Awards
Pride used to be the best MMA promotion out there....... then Dana White bought it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

That is also what was initially said when they bought out PRIDE.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This bums me out just liked it did when they got WEC and Pride.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think we are being way too short sighted. This offers the fans the best opportunity for superfights a year or two down the line.

I never truly understand all the UFC/DW hate...to me it is silly. I am personally excited by this as the prospect of the HW tournament winner v. Cain in 2012, or Gilbert Melendez v. Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard etc...

Granted, Fedor wont do it, and at this point I couldnt care less if he is there or not. SF has a nice array of fighters who can come over and put on a nice competitive show

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

that maybe so right now, but I will almost guarentee this wont be the case 2-3 years from now.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing good will come from buying out your competition and having a monolopy on the industry. Competition is healthy and needed in all businesses IMO

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
The NFL, NBA, MLB are all monolpolies. Some would argue that these monoplies are the apex of a "free" market. It isn't surprising to me that it's happening to MMA. But the truth in my mind is that this is happening because their isn't an average MMA fan, but rather the average UFC fan.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I hope that it boils down to only 1 premier sanctioning body. All these BS separate sanctions are what have caused each sanction to have watered down weight classes with only 1 or 2 guys that are legitimate title holders and contenders. We need a larger talent pool in 1 well run organization. And I don't buy the competition argument in sports at this level. There simply is not enough talent to keep it interesting. See XFL, USFL, et al for examples of trying to promote watered down talent as a fun watchable top level product.

Look how boring UFCs heavy weight division is. Carwin disappeared after his fight with Lesnar with a bad back. Dos Santos is legit but he won't fight till this summer and he's on the small side to tangle with Lesnar. The champ is hurt and we are forced to watch mediocre guys get recycled so that the top 2-3 guys will have someone to beat on. I mean come on.....Roy Nelson? This kind of BS is also why we have not gotten to see Fedor fight Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, et al.

Wouldn't it be nice to at least have a chance to see some legitimate contenders develop for Silva and St. Pierre? But no, we keed dredging up guys like Belfort and Dan Hardy and listening to Dana White and Joe Rogan talk about how great they are. Frankie and BJ are legit in their class but is there anyone under them that you REALLY want to see fight?

WEC was and now Strikeforce is in my opinion being used sort of like baseballs farm system. But, you'll notice that there is only 1 competitive pro baseball, basketball, hockey, and football league. I think the same should go for MMA so that we can see the BEST fighters in the world fight.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
And speaking of Roy Nelson, I think that he should go ahead and give birth to that baby he's carrying around, drop to about 220lbs for training, and fight at 205lbs. Then he would actually be fun to watch. He'd be faster at that weight and really strong. Liposuction might be a good idea for him.

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
And speaking of Roy Nelson, I think that he should go ahead and give birth to that baby he's carrying around, drop to about 220lbs for training, and fight at 205lbs. Then he would actually be fun to watch. He'd be faster at that weight and really strong. Liposuction might be a good idea for him.
Haha its official, somebody get Roy some Androlean stat!

On a more serious note, I agree with the statements about how MMA shouldn't be any different from the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB in the sense that one league as a stage for the premier athletes in the sport. This type of league would be a sign that MMA is becoming mainstream. Whether you see that as good or bad is personal opinion.

The unfortunate part is that its more about the financial gain than about getting the best fighters in the world together to do battle... There are pros AND cons to this whole ordeal

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
The unfortunate part is that its more about the financial gain than about getting the best fighters in the world together to do battle... There are pros AND cons to this whole ordeal
I'm sure there are but purely from a spectator standpoint, I want to see THE best guys in the world fight.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Anyone hear whether DREAM will still be able to borrow and lend fighters for the moment or when Strikeforce contracts are up?

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
UFC is taking over everything, I can't believe it. And for you who don't support PPV i'll always have links to reliable streams every UFC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
JP10 MMA 4