MMA advice

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
I'm a big fun of MMA/UFC watching it makes me wanna do it. My mind is mixed I really need to learn MMA specially Jiu Jutsu. I wonder where is the best gym/school around here?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a big fun of MMA/UFC watching it makes me wanna do it. My mind is mixed I really need to learn MMA specially Jiu Jutsu. I wonder where is the best gym/school around here?
Seems like these gyms are popping up all over the place now.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find simply a Jiu Jitsu gym. Or a boxing one. Or like my friends in MI did they just made their own. Couple of them are very knowledgeable in different styles of martial arts and have since moved the gym to a hotter spot due to everyone wanting to join to either fight or stay in shape.

Perhaps if you can't find one close by, you and some friends could go that route and hire someone a few days a week to instruct, or maybe talk to some nearby gyms and see if they can work something out.

n87

Awards
  • Established
buy some used wrestling mats from a high school or something and padding for the walls.
That'd be a good start.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A garage is ok for starting out. Get some heavy bags and speed bag and reflex bag and can do some circuits.
But if you get enough friends that wanna do it, see if there's any closed down businesses in town and you can all rent it out and use it as the gym.

I 100% agree on the wrestling mats idea. The gym my friends all go to actually got a bunch for free when they started out I think, donated to them from a local school.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
American Top Team is very prevalent in Florida. Look for an affiliate close to you.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dude dont start a garage gym. maybe eventually when you are skilled and know other good people. now you dont know what you doing so it will be a waste of time. find a school with a good BJJ base and some good striking, American top team is definitely a great school. or you can find something smaller for cheaper. google brazilian jiujitsu and your zip code and go try a class.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
American Top Team is very prevalent in Florida. Look for an affiliate close to you.
I agree....don't start your own, you need technique training. Without learning the proper techniques you won't make it far. Do you want to learn from youtube videos or do you want to learn from a qualified highly skilled instructor. American Top Team would be your best bet.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Antong420 and wudog are 100% correct, starting on your own with no instruction and trying to learn on your own won't work, trust me I know from experience. I came up in a time when that was the only choice and I can say I learned more in the last few years with competent coaches, than in 6-7 years of trying to figure it out on our own.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Tampa is far from ATT, but there are some decent schools in central Fl as well, you just got to look bro, the reason you need a good instructor is the fact that he will see the mistakes you don't see. Trust me find a good place.

iron fists

Awards
i think ,there is a gracie barra in tampa....but didnt jon brookins the last tuf winner train in tampa???
But please stay away form a garage gym or a gym that just has buddies triaing together....this is a curse to mma...these gyms are partially responsible for alot of scab fighters who really need to train with a real trainer/gym before they fight....too many people just trian and fight...but they have zero skill...but its not all their fault becuase there are no sanctioning bodies to step in and say hey.....you have no business fighting..or hey...your gym has no creditientials or legit instructors..so no fighters coming form here...they are starting to do it in ohio, as they wont let a guys from certian gyms fight another gym because they actually are trianed fighters verses guys who just train and fight for a hobby..like my friend who is 4-2 but cant fight a guy who is 11-0 from another gym becuase it is unfair..lol...then why not shut that gym down???
garage gyms and scab fighters are a huge pet pieve of mine .....and are the reason local circuit pros dont get paid well becuase they will always find a guy to fight for dirt cheap..not becuase the money aint there.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
lol its because the crowd loves to see the garage fighters get man handled

Punisher88

Punisher88

Awards
Look up Champions MMA. I have trained at 3 different schools and this by far is my favorite. We have a lot of good guys and it's not far from Tampa. One of our fighters is fighting the 25th for M1 Global.