Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Striekforce has announced a HW tournament. The Quarterfinals take place in February and March. No further dates are available. Here are the QF matchups

Fedor v. Big Foot Silva (Feb)
Arlovsky v. Kharitonov (Feb)
Overeem v. Werdum (March)
Rogers v. Barnett (March)

If I had to pick, I would say Fedor, Kharitonov, Overeem and Barnett.

My semifinals look like
Barnett v. Fedor
Overeem v. Kharitonov

Leaving Fedor and Overeem in the finals.

Thoughts????

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know how it will play up to the final, but I agree that it will be Fedor and Overeem, with Overeem taking it all;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cannot state how excited I am for this, especially given the current state of the UFC HW division (Carwin, Cain out with injury, Nelson in contract dispute, Lesnar is an unknown). Not sure how the brackets will breakdown after the quarters, but I really, really hope that Werdum can end the Overeem hype-train. Or, I'd love to see Sergei return to form and beat Overeem (again).

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Here are the brackets. Looks like Fedor and Reem (possibly) could go at it in round 2. Hype would end, one way or the other

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't even think about this until now: it's already been almost 7 years since the last real HWGP in Pride.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if all the fighters actually participate (big if in Strikeforce) this could be a great year for them, and really put SF on the map

amidoinitrite

Awards
Andre versus Fabricio, my pick for the finals.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Andre versus Fabricio, my pick for the finals.
You have seen AA recently, right? 3 straight losses and a clear lack of confidence right now? I'd have him as the 7 seed right now ahead of only Kharitonov.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
God, I hope SF doesn't **** this up.

Prepare for Overeem hype train, full speed ahead.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
God, I hope SF doesn't **** this up.

Prepare for Overeem hype train, full speed ahead.
The only hurdle is the Barnett licensing, but his nationwide suspension ended last July. From what I've read, the second quarter-final event will not be in either Vegas or in California.

The favorites are clear: Fedor and Overeem. The two darkhorses are Barnett and Kharitonov. They both have great skill, but haven't been consistently active in awhile (FYI, Kharitonov is the last person the beat Overeem in MMA).

mh625

Awards
I dont think anyone can stop the Reem I've been trying to call him all hype but everytime I watch him fight he just abuses his opponent. I really think Fedors management has been ducking him and why would he even be in the tournament he is the SF heavyweight champ shouldn't the tourny be for the number 1 contender I just feel that all the SF heavyweights are intimidated by Overeem and they really should be the guy gets better and better every fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about this record is exactly impressive?

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Alistair-Overeem-461

His best wins at HW are Rogers, Buentello, and Kharitonov. Anytime he has faced truly top competition, he's lost and that includes his run at LHW. He couldn't take a punch at 205; how the hell is that going to change at HW?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the same token, who has Fedor beat recently? Not dismissig his pride days, but the recent Fedor years are far from inspiring. Losing to Werdum does not illicit confidence either.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the same token, who has Fedor beat recently? Not dismissig his pride days, but the recent Fedor years are far from inspiring. Losing to Werdum does not illicit confidence either.
With Fedor, you at least know how he responds to top competition. Until the submission against Werdum, there was only 1 fight that he did not win convincingly and that was against Arona in RINGS with a set of funky rules. I also wouldn't exactly say getting caught in an early sub against a multiple ADCC champ losing to a can. With Fedor, it's not about hype or potential; it's about past performances and being a proven fighter at HW. Overeem, however, has neither part. Yes, he has a great skill set along with a massive frame (BTW, why are people on his sack, but call Lesnar a chump?), but he has yet to show that he can translate this into a HW run. I still question his heart after seeing him practically give up against Shogun, Arona, Rog Nog, Chuck, etc. and highly doubt that his cardio has improved with an extra 35+ lbs of LBM on his frame.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said Werdum was a can, just not an impressive heavyweight. He is another one with a questionable work ethic. I agree about his past, but I don't think he is anywhere near where he was. His most recent fights are what I use as my example.

I think a Reem/Fedor fight will tell a lot. I just hope we get to see it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said Werdum was a can, just not an impressive heavyweight. He is another one with a questionable work ethic. I agree about his past, but I don't think he is anywhere near where he was. His most recent fights are what I use as my example.

I think a Reem/Fedor fight will tell a lot. I just hope we get to see it.
Never said you said Werdum was a can, but he's been a consensus top-10 fighter for close to 5 years now. Fedor got caught; it happens to everyone in MMA. While I do agree with you that it's hard to say where Fedor is at this stage in his career, the slower frequency of fights may have actually helped. People forget how many injuries the guy has had over the years, especially to his hands. Plus, he hasn't really been through many "wars" in his career; the only fighters to ever really cause some damage were a prime CC and Fujita's hail mary right hand.

ken22

ken22

Awards
Striekforce has announced a HW tournament. The Quarterfinals take place in February and March. No further dates are available. Here are the QF matchups

Fedor v. Big Foot Silva (Feb)
Arlovsky v. Kharitonov (Feb)
Overeem v. Werdum (March)
Rogers v. Barnett (March)

If I had to pick, I would say Fedor, Kharitonov, Overeem and Barnett.

My semifinals look like
Barnett v. Fedor
Overeem v. Kharitonov

Leaving Fedor and Overeem in the finals.

Thoughts????
Werdum beats overeem on the ground

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I admit that Fedor and Overeem get a lot of hype, but I don't see how anybody can argue that it isn't earned. Arlovsky on the other hand doesn't even really deserve a shot at this.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
He couldn't take a punch at 205; how the hell is that going to change at HW?
You know, by the end he was cutting nearly 30 lbs to make 205 - that affects both cardio and chin. I don't think his chin is worse than average, although admittedly the question of cardio is out there.

mh625

Awards
For Overeem to make 205 lbs he was not able to lift weights and im sure everyone on this sight would agree with me that weight training is pretty important in every sport. Now the guy is just an animal he is a giant and he is fast and precise I think all the hype he gets is desevered. If you dont think weights are important just watch the Bj Penn vs Edgar 2 fight and tell me who the stronger man was.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
I'm not as sold on the importance of weight training.. but either Overeem is on year-round or both him and his brother have freaky genetics. His face and jaw looks three times than when he was at 205 which obviously means he was very drawn out at that weight. Not to mention natural progression as you age could possibly further attribute to his size.

I agree it's hard to say about Fedor's status in his career, the only person I really see giving him trouble is Overeem. Werdum is obviously better on the ground than Overeem, but he gettng Overeem to the ground is an entirely different issue. And submitting him would be a task for anyone, due to his training avoiding submissions and especially his freaky strength. He threw Duffee and Rogers (both huge) around like ragdolls.

As far as Arlovski goes, he belongs in this group much more than Rogers does. Despite his recent lack of success, the guy still has great hands and who knows how he'll come in if he gets some confidnce back.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
Hell those first round of fights already has me hard, I can't wait to watch it happen.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
this is really cool. just sucks US athletic comission wont allow a one night tourney. then we'd really see whos got the biggest balls haha

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor has suddenly requested Overeem undergo Olympic Style drug testing for the tourney.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor has suddenly requested Overeem undergo Olympic Style drug testing for the tourney.
I believe that was his request when they were negotiating a fight between them. M1 also requested stringent testing for Barnett and Bigfoot, both of whom have failed previous tests.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is he hoping to win via failed tests for the rest of the field? ;)

obvious

obvious

Awards
Is he hoping to win via failed tests for the rest of the field? ;)
That's comedy. I'm not surprised that he's demanding it of Overeem though... Fedor clearly will piss clean. Unless they start testing for evidence of buffet-style eating

AnabolicFrenz

Awards
Strikeforces heavyweights have much more appeal to me than the UFCs right now. This tourny will be amazing.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
if you ain't juicin', don't know why these people have such problems with rigorous testing.. outside of blood tests near, or the day of the fight like Pacquiao was complaining about. I don't foresee any issues with this though for the tourney, too much hype and money to be made for testing issues to stall/cancel it.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
oh the good 'ole days when men could give into all their vices in a single night with no flack from the government

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oh the good 'ole days when men could give into all their vices in a single night with no flack from the government
when knees to the head rained from above and the slapping sound of a soccer kick sent chills down your spine

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually don't like a 1-night format. You end up getting a bad product most of the time due to accumulated damage. Look at all of the Pride GP finals, especially some of the later ones. For example, the last WW GP had a final match of Denis Kang with a torn bicep against Kazuo Misaki who was beaten by Paulo Filho the same night, but was unable to continue due to injury. Basically, a dude loses in the semis and then, by default, gets a spot in the finals.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
im about to buy tickets for Fedor/Big Foot. its like an hour away from me and perfect to take my girl on V-day, we both train mma so it works lol

only thing is the seats are probably gonna be nosebleed, anyone ever sit at the top for a mma fight? is it worth it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im about to buy tickets for Fedor/Big Foot. its like an hour away from me and perfect to take my girl on V-day, we both train mma so it works lol

only thing is the seats are probably gonna be nosebleed, anyone ever sit at the top for a mma fight? is it worth it?
It depends how the arena is built. Hockey rinks, for example, still give a great view even in the higher seats. Besides, when will you have a chance to see Fedor again?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
It depends how the arena is built. Hockey rinks, for example, still give a great view even in the higher seats. Besides, when will you have a chance to see Fedor again?
dude you are so right, im super excited now!!! hes gonna hit Silva so hard ill get some blood splatter up in my nosebleed seats

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
I actually don't like a 1-night format. You end up getting a bad product most of the time due to accumulated damage. Look at all of the Pride GP finals, especially some of the later ones. For example, the last WW GP had a final match of Denis Kang with a torn bicep against Kazuo Misaki who was beaten by Paulo Filho the same night, but was unable to continue due to injury. Basically, a dude loses in the semis and then, by default, gets a spot in the finals.
very true, but having the one night format just makes me feel like it's the karate kid and yelling "put him in a bodybag johnny" is acceptable.. adds to the mystique of the sport.... no but really the product isn't necessarily as quality due to injury, fatigue, etc. but once in a while it's cool to see who can withstand adversity, kind of a testament to a guy's luck/will

squatmonster

Awards
Overeem is used to the tourny format so I would say he has the upper hand, but in the fight game anything can happen. I am curious to see how fedor does and if he stays in the tournament. Best of luck to all and should be a great show either way .

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
im about to buy my tickets for the Fedor fight right now! F#ck yeah!

purelife2

purelife2

Awards
anyone check out the weigh ins...this should be a good fight card tonight..Arloski didnt look as ripped as he normally does..guess he is trying to keep up weight for more power..they were all very heavy

codered5

Awards
I want to see Overeem fight Fedor...I honestly feel like Overeem would destroy him, unless he got caught on the ground somehow.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to see Overeem fight Fedor...I honestly feel like Overeem would destroy him, unless he got caught on the ground somehow.
I don't think anyone is "destroying" Fedor, but I want to see that fight as well and I want to see Overeem come out on top.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
im about to buy my tickets for the Fedor fight right now! F#ck yeah!
he got his ass beat. real bad. they had to call the fight.

anybody still wanna say he is the greatest fighter ever?

2k2ser

Awards
  • Established
Fedor is busted up! Waiting for the next round of fights......

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
anybody still wanna say he is the greatest fighter ever?
The fall from the zenith of performance is usually rapid for fighters of every cloth, and Fyodor's appears to be no different. That said, repainting the portraits of past fights because of the ugliness of current ones is both premature and silly.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
he's fought bs and hand picked opponents to protect his aura ever since he left PRIDE. he is a good fighter no question, but he isn't as "great" as people claim

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
he's fought bs and hand picked opponents to protect his aura ever since he left PRIDE. he is a good fighter no question, but he isn't as "great" as people claim
When one's entire experience of Fyodor has been couched within the zenith of Zuffa's reign, that position is, I think, a more prevalent one. That said, it ought to be a quick task demonstrating that even Fyodor's post-2005 opponents were august.

Whether you care to take note of it or not, both Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were not only consensus top five heavyweights when Fyodor faced them, but more directly to your point, were the best available options given promotional constraints. Similarly, and again whether you choose to accord it, Brett Rogers was a consensus top ten opponent at the time of their bout.

Now, based on your tone of thought here, my inclination is that your response is to revise history based on the various permutations each fighter's history has taken since then. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20.

I choose instead to judge fighter based on the quality of their opponents as their opponents were considered at the time - I task that becomes exceedingly difficult when you believe things like, "Fyodor left PRIDE." (Fyodor was under contract to PRIDE FC when it collapsed.)

Judging the trajectory of Fyodor's career under that rubric, it becomes apparent that his quantum of opponents, even recently, is no more or less shameful than many of the other top HWs. Are Cain Velasquez's last five opponents, at the time he faced them, equal to or greater in comparative relevance to Silva, Werdum, Rogers, Arlovski and Sylvia? Well, to put a complex issue simply, no.

Simply put, Fyodor is a phenomenal fighter whose legacy speaks for itself to anybody not listening with a bias-tinged ear. He has clearly followed the well-trodden path of a quick descent from grace that has beset fighters throughout the entire history of combat sports - a fact, however, that ought not broad stroke the storied ascension which came before it.