Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament
- 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Cain beat Lesnar even 30lbs under, indeed, but those 30lbs masked a much bigger discrepancy that would most likely have portraied itself if it was not for the extra weight.
I just find that the heavyweight division should be split up, it is hard to move someone who is 20% heavier than you from above you, that's all I'm saying.
- 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Although the MMA legend hinted at retirement following a second-round TKO loss to Antonio Silva, Fedor Emelianenko's fighting career may not be over.
Both Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and Emelianenko's agent, M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein, want the 34-year-old to continue.
And Coker could dangle an intriguing opportunity should Emelianenko wish to continue fighting: first dibs on any alternate spots that open in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix.
Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Silva (16-2 MMA, 3-1 SF) headlined Saturday's Showtime-televised "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva" event at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J. After a close first round, Silva unloaded a brutal ground-and-pound assault in the second. With the Russian's right eye swollen shut, the cageside physician halted the bout after before the start of the third round, which resulted in Emelianenko's second consecutive defeat since a legendary decade-long win streak.
The bout was part of the opening round of Strikeforce's eight-man, season-long heavyweight tournament. And though three tourney-reserve bouts populated Saturday's main card, any available alternate spots instead could go to Emelianenko.
"There's absolutely a possibility he could be a replacement," Coker told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) after the show. "That's the beauty of the tournament. You don't know what could happen in the next leg of the tournament. As this tournament unwinds over the year, there could be an injury, and you could see Fedor back in the tournament."
Decisions about injury replacements ultimately will be made by a Strikeforce committee, as Coker previously announced. And though Shane Del Rosario, Chad Griggs and Valentijn Overeem all won reserve bouts at Saturday's show, Emelianenko could cut to the front of the line.
Emelianenko undoubtedly would be the biggest draw of the four. But Coker said there would be other reasons for the selection. Namely, that Silva vs. Emelianenko was cut short by an injury.
"It was a tough fight out there," Coker said. "Like Alistair (Overeem) said, Fedor always comes back in the third round. But he didn't get a chance today. (With) the stoppage today, I don't think Fedor could see. He may have even had an orbital fracture, but safety comes first. He'll have another day."
Regardless, Coker said he and Emelianenko, who recently signed a new multi-fight deal with Strikeforce, have plenty of bouts ahead. Neither he nor Finkelchtein appeared to take Emelianenko's retirement talk seriously.
"You know how that goes," Coker said. "Guys get very emotional after fights. We'll see."
Finkelchtein, who said the doctor's stoppage was "the right decision," thinks Emelianenko may have just been emotional when he mentioned the possibility of retiring.
"I think Fedor was just upset," he said. "That decision, of course, belongs to Fedor. But I think I know him well, and I think he's full so full of strength. I think he will continue."
Emelianenko, arguably the greatest heavyweight in MMA history and one of the sport's most accomplished fighters, suffered a June loss to Fabricio Werdum, which snapped a staggering 27-fight win streak. The former PRIDE champion now has suffered consecutive defeats.NSCA - CSCS
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
BJJ = life
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
NSCA - CSCS
02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Source of Fedor's Withdrawal
Санитар поединка Емельяненко – Силва: «После второго раунда Федор сказал: «Я не могу продолжать бой» - Бокс/MMA - Sports.ru
Here is the translation:
Fedor Emelianenko, who because of the strong bruising to his right eye could not continue after the second round bout against Antonio Silva, was ready to stop fighting.
The correspondent of newspaper "Sport Express" met after the battle at the hotel with the nurse, which helped Fyodor first aid.
"The doctor asked the soldier:" Fyodor, you can go? "- He said. But Fyodor shook his head and replied: "No, I can not."
However, it is unlikely the doctor would let Emelianenko in the third round, even if he was eager to go hard.
NSCA - CSCS
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
02-15-2011, 10:33 AM
It's going to be fun to see the overeem haters backpedal as fast as the fedor fanboys have
Paging Dr. Banner. . .
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
and what are you, an overeem fanboy? Fedor is still the G.O.A.T even though his best years are definitely behind him.
BJJ = life
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm rooting for Overeem to win the Grand Prix and if he wins he probably would technically be ranked number one, but I think Cain would beat him if they fought.
NSCA - CSCS
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
M.Ed. Ex Phys
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I think we will need to see how things play out, on both accounts. The problem, for me, is that nobody in the GP will present, nor have any of the Reem's erstwhile opponents presented, enough of a wrestling threat to accurately gauge his abilities in that area.
All that said, I think Cain's defensive boxing is vastly overrated - in fact, I think Cain's striking has been similarly untested as the Reem's wrestling. So, for me, I will need to see how their next few fights play out before making that judgment.
In fact, and this is simply conjecture, but I do think we will have the ability to see a potential fight between the Reem and the UFC's heavies in the next year, after his SF contract runs out (and particularly provided he wins the GP). I say this as the Reem has talked recently about his desire to increase stateside exposure.
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Did anybody pay attention to the fans' poll about who they thought would win it all?
It was a little ridiculous, IMO. AA got 11% of the vote while Barnett, Silva, Werdum, and Kharitonov all combined for only 13% of the vote. Come on!
I guess Joe Shmoe MMA Fan probably isn't familiar with half of the guys in this HW Grand Prix. That's the only thing I can think of
Similar Forum Threads
- By VolcomX311 in forum MMAReplies: 8Last Post: 02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
- By mmacrazy in forum Weight LossReplies: 10Last Post: 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
- By mmacrazy in forum Weight LossReplies: 6Last Post: 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM
- By jdg487 in forum Sports TalkReplies: 38Last Post: 04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
- By karategirl in forum MMAReplies: 20Last Post: 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM