Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Fedor has suddenly requested Overeem undergo Olympic Style drug testing for the tourney.
    I believe that was his request when they were negotiating a fight between them. M1 also requested stringent testing for Barnett and Bigfoot, both of whom have failed previous tests.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Is he hoping to win via failed tests for the rest of the field?
    Mr. Supps Board Rep
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Is he hoping to win via failed tests for the rest of the field?
    That's comedy. I'm not surprised that he's demanding it of Overeem though... Fedor clearly will piss clean. Unless they start testing for evidence of buffet-style eating

4. Strikeforces heavyweights have much more appeal to me than the UFCs right now. This tourny will be amazing.

5. if you ain't juicin', don't know why these people have such problems with rigorous testing.. outside of blood tests near, or the day of the fight like Pacquiao was complaining about. I don't foresee any issues with this though for the tourney, too much hype and money to be made for testing issues to stall/cancel it.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    this is really cool. just sucks US athletic comission wont allow a one night tourney. then we'd really see whos got the biggest balls haha
    that'd be epic

7. Quote Originally Posted by jgassen15 View Post
    that'd be epic
    That'd be uber epic
    NSCA - CSCS

8. oh the good 'ole days when men could give into all their vices in a single night with no flack from the government

9. Quote Originally Posted by jgassen15 View Post
    oh the good 'ole days when men could give into all their vices in a single night with no flack from the government
    when knees to the head rained from above and the slapping sound of a soccer kick sent chills down your spine
    BJJ = life

10. I actually don't like a 1-night format. You end up getting a bad product most of the time due to accumulated damage. Look at all of the Pride GP finals, especially some of the later ones. For example, the last WW GP had a final match of Denis Kang with a torn bicep against Kazuo Misaki who was beaten by Paulo Filho the same night, but was unable to continue due to injury. Basically, a dude loses in the semis and then, by default, gets a spot in the finals.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

11. im about to buy tickets for Fedor/Big Foot. its like an hour away from me and perfect to take my girl on V-day, we both train mma so it works lol

only thing is the seats are probably gonna be nosebleed, anyone ever sit at the top for a mma fight? is it worth it?
    BJJ = life

12. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    im about to buy tickets for Fedor/Big Foot. its like an hour away from me and perfect to take my girl on V-day, we both train mma so it works lol

only thing is the seats are probably gonna be nosebleed, anyone ever sit at the top for a mma fight? is it worth it?
    It depends how the arena is built. Hockey rinks, for example, still give a great view even in the higher seats. Besides, when will you have a chance to see Fedor again?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It depends how the arena is built. Hockey rinks, for example, still give a great view even in the higher seats. Besides, when will you have a chance to see Fedor again?
    dude you are so right, im super excited now!!! hes gonna hit Silva so hard ill get some blood splatter up in my nosebleed seats
    BJJ = life

14. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I actually don't like a 1-night format. You end up getting a bad product most of the time due to accumulated damage. Look at all of the Pride GP finals, especially some of the later ones. For example, the last WW GP had a final match of Denis Kang with a torn bicep against Kazuo Misaki who was beaten by Paulo Filho the same night, but was unable to continue due to injury. Basically, a dude loses in the semis and then, by default, gets a spot in the finals.
    very true, but having the one night format just makes me feel like it's the karate kid and yelling "put him in a bodybag johnny" is acceptable.. adds to the mystique of the sport.... no but really the product isn't necessarily as quality due to injury, fatigue, etc. but once in a while it's cool to see who can withstand adversity, kind of a testament to a guy's luck/will

15. Overeem is used to the tourny format so I would say he has the upper hand, but in the fight game anything can happen. I am curious to see how fedor does and if he stays in the tournament. Best of luck to all and should be a great show either way .

16. im about to buy my tickets for the Fedor fight right now! F#ck yeah!
    BJJ = life

17. anyone check out the weigh ins...this should be a good fight card tonight..Arloski didnt look as ripped as he normally does..guess he is trying to keep up weight for more power..they were all very heavy

18. I want to see Overeem fight Fedor...I honestly feel like Overeem would destroy him, unless he got caught on the ground somehow.

19. Quote Originally Posted by codered5 View Post
    I want to see Overeem fight Fedor...I honestly feel like Overeem would destroy him, unless he got caught on the ground somehow.
    I don't think anyone is "destroying" Fedor, but I want to see that fight as well and I want to see Overeem come out on top.
    NSCA - CSCS

20. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    im about to buy my tickets for the Fedor fight right now! F#ck yeah!
    he got his ass beat. real bad. they had to call the fight.

anybody still wanna say he is the greatest fighter ever?

21. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I don't think anyone is "destroying" Fedor, but I want to see that fight as well and I want to see Overeem come out on top.
    fedor got destroyed lol

22. Fedor is busted up! Waiting for the next round of fights......

23. Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    anybody still wanna say he is the greatest fighter ever?
    The fall from the zenith of performance is usually rapid for fighters of every cloth, and Fyodor's appears to be no different. That said, repainting the portraits of past fights because of the ugliness of current ones is both premature and silly.

24. he's fought bs and hand picked opponents to protect his aura ever since he left PRIDE. he is a good fighter no question, but he isn't as "great" as people claim

25. Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    he's fought bs and hand picked opponents to protect his aura ever since he left PRIDE. he is a good fighter no question, but he isn't as "great" as people claim
    When one's entire experience of Fyodor has been couched within the zenith of Zuffa's reign, that position is, I think, a more prevalent one. That said, it ought to be a quick task demonstrating that even Fyodor's post-2005 opponents were august.

Whether you care to take note of it or not, both Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were not only consensus top five heavyweights when Fyodor faced them, but more directly to your point, were the best available options given promotional constraints. Similarly, and again whether you choose to accord it, Brett Rogers was a consensus top ten opponent at the time of their bout.

Now, based on your tone of thought here, my inclination is that your response is to revise history based on the various permutations each fighter's history has taken since then. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20.

I choose instead to judge fighter based on the quality of their opponents as their opponents were considered at the time - I task that becomes exceedingly difficult when you believe things like, "Fyodor left PRIDE." (Fyodor was under contract to PRIDE FC when it collapsed.)

Judging the trajectory of Fyodor's career under that rubric, it becomes apparent that his quantum of opponents, even recently, is no more or less shameful than many of the other top HWs. Are Cain Velasquez's last five opponents, at the time he faced them, equal to or greater in comparative relevance to Silva, Werdum, Rogers, Arlovski and Sylvia? Well, to put a complex issue simply, no.

Simply put, Fyodor is a phenomenal fighter whose legacy speaks for itself to anybody not listening with a bias-tinged ear. He has clearly followed the well-trodden path of a quick descent from grace that has beset fighters throughout the entire history of combat sports - a fact, however, that ought not broad stroke the storied ascension which came before it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
  2. Please help with weight cut for tournament
    By mmacrazy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
  3. Help me get tournament ready !
    By mmacrazy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM