Georges St. Pierre: "I think I can get much, much better than i am right now!"

1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Georges St. Pierre: "I think I can get much, much better than i am right now!"

Georges St. Pierre joined the Fan 590 in Toronto with Andrew Krystal to talk about his dominant win over Josh Koscheck, whether or not he thought the refs should have stopped the fight because of the injury to Koschecks eye, clears up any rumors about him quitting MMA to wrestle full-time, and talks about what is next for him.

On the added boxing that he used in this fight:

The first time I fought him, I beat him with my wrestling. This time I wanted to surprise him and beat him with my striking game.

On him resorting to a stand-up game because his takedowns were not effective:

Yeah, but most of my takedowns, it was to make him worried about the takedowns. My main focus was to beat him with my punches and kicks, standing up, and keeping the fight on the outside.

On the eye injury that Koscheck suffered:

I heard he broke the orbital bone and had surgery. I hope hes okay. (Host: Do you think the fight should have been stopped?) Yeah I think so. I think the doctors or his corner men should have stopped it because its very dangerous in this sport, he could lose an eye and also it could be a career-killing situation, but at the end of the day it was good for the fans.

On the rumors about him quitting MMA to try and wrestle in the Olympics:

Thats not true. Im a martial artist first and thats my main job and thats what I focus on.

On whether or not he thinks he has reached his peak:

I think my peak is still ahead. Im 29 years old, I get better every time, I feel stronger every time, and Ive changed a lot of things in my training and I try to keep it a secret. I keep it for me and it makes me better. I think I can get much, much better than I am right now.

On his next fight:

I dont know yet. I try to not even think about it because it will stress me again and Im gonna go back to straight training and thinking about it. Right now I just prefer to not even think about it. I dont know when its going to be.
    Sports Radio Interviews Blog Archive Georges St. Pierre Says He’s Not Quitting MMA to Wrestle in the Olympics

and in case it was missed, he's not quitting MMA to go wrestle in the Olympics.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

maybe he will also start finishing fights too. im a huge mma fan but watching him jab KOS for 5 rounds almost put me to sleep. never losing a round is awesome and all but it doesnt do anything for me. If i was to pay $50 for the UFC id wanna see a guy try to finish the fight. good thing there are bars with $5 cover.
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    maybe he will also start finishing fights too. im a huge mma fan but watching him jab KOS for 5 rounds almost put me to sleep. never losing a round is awesome and all but it doesnt do anything for me. If i was to pay $50 for the UFC id wanna see a guy try to finish the fight. good thing there are bars with $5 cover.
    I hear you on that. I personally enjoyed the domination, but I can certainly see where some people wouldn't have.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

hahah im sure everyone loved to see KOS get beat since hes a douche but lets be serious, if GSP thinks the fight should have been stopped then show your superior unmatched skill and finish him.
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.21%

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    hahah im sure everyone loved to see KOS get beat since hes a douche but lets be serious, if GSP thinks the fight should have been stopped then show your superior unmatched skill and finish him.
    We'll see if GSP will actually moves up after he molests Jake Shields.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.13%

lmfao...after he molests sheilds..is so funny because its so true..good one.
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.86%

Big GSP fan for life!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.53%

Sometimes its hard to translate what "Frenchy" is trying to say. I'm guessing by "better" he means more boring. In that case, I do believe his fights will get even more boring as time goes on - which is what the trend has been the last 2 years. I wouldn't pay $1 to see his "fights" anymore. They look like a sparring match at best. I think the entertainment value of the TUF fights is much higher, which I can watch for free.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

Quote Originally Posted by spimp187 View Post
    Sometimes its hard to translate what "Frenchy" is trying to say. I'm guessing by "better" he means more boring. In that case, I do believe his fights will get even more boring as time goes on - which is what the trend has been the last 2 years. I wouldn't pay $1 to see his "fights" anymore. They look like a sparring match at best. I think the entertainment value of the TUF fights is much higher, which I can watch for free.
    yup exactly, at least them TUF boys go balls to the wall
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.21%

Everyone talks about GSP not finishing fights. The fights I watch he makes his opponents look like they shouldn't even be in the octagon with him. It is pretty hard to finish top notch guys, thats why they get to fight for the championship how many times have you seen Alves, KOS, Dan Hardy, or Jon Fitch finished. I don't think he is not finishing fights because he's not trying I think the talent level is so high it makes it almost impossible.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

Quote Originally Posted by mh625 View Post
    Everyone talks about GSP not finishing fights. The fights I watch he makes his opponents look like they shouldn't even be in the octagon with him. It is pretty hard to finish top notch guys, thats why they get to fight for the championship how many times have you seen Alves, KOS, Dan Hardy, or Jon Fitch finished. I don't think he is not finishing fights because he's not trying I think the talent level is so high it makes it almost impossible.
    watch his fight against sean sherk. there is a guy who is fighting to win, rather than to not lose. i havent seen those mean elbows and superman punches recently. he literally fights to win the round. in the Hardy fight he did try some submissions so ill give him that. ive been a huge mma fan for years and train myself, and i cant watch his recent fights without getting bored.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%

Quote Originally Posted by mh625 View Post
    I agree. There is an article written by Forrest Griffin in the Dec 2010 FIGHT! magazine that touches on the shift in talent and subsequent fight dynamics. As the sport evolves and attracts new fighters of a different breed, the fighting styles become more technical and precision as opposed to the all out rough and rowdy brawler styles of old school early 1990's UFC, before MMA was actually a well rounded fighting style.

I like GSP because he is dedicated and authentic. Some of his fights are boorish yes, but so is just about every fighter's at some point. ...Except Jon Jones's. Dude is retarded good.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.88%

how many fighters in that same caliber do you even see finish fights? a majority of them in their career with top notch fighters ranges anywhere from 2 to 4 knockouts...it sucks to see technicality is not as important as people knocking the lights out of someone
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.83%

i guess a lot of people would rather watch gsp stand in the middle go toe to toe instead of using his skills.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.32%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

I honestly can't criticize his lack of finishes lately except for the Koscheck fight. He beat the living **** out of Fitch for 5 rounds, destroyed Thiago on 1 leg, and then IDK how Hardy didn't tap to some of GSP's submission attempts. With Koscheck, all he really had to do was throw a damn lead high kick instead of focusing solely on his hands. As his boxing has improved, his overall striking game has regressed. He's not nearly as dynamic as he used to be and that's what makes GSP so frustrating. This is a guy who tooled the best at WW and finished fighters who are very difficult to finish (Hughes, Sherk, BJ, etc.), but I still think Serra I has left him a different fighter.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by spimp187 View Post
    Totally, bro. When I see that frog, I'm all, "Hey, Frenchie, let's finish some ****ing fights here! I didn't sneak into this Dave and Buster's and wear my best Affliction t-shirt to watch a sparring match!" I mean, seriously here. Right?
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Totally, bro. When I see that frog, I'm all, "Hey, Frenchie, let's finish some ****ing fights here! I didn't sneak into this Dave and Buster's and wear my best Affliction t-shirt to watch a sparring match!" I mean, seriously here. Right?
    sarcasm! hey man i love watching and training martial arts but dude's fights more often than not bore me to death

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
  3. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
  4. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
  5. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM