UFC 124 Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck II

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck (for welterweight title)
Sean McCorkle vs. Stefan Struve
Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Mac Danzig vs. Joe Stevenson
Thiago Alves vs. John Howard
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC.com)
Mark Bocek vs. Dustin Hazelett
Joe Doerksen vs. Dan Miller
PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised)
Sean Pierson vs. Matthew Riddle
Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Rafael Natal
Ricardo Almeida vs. T.J. Grant
Pat Audinwood vs. John Makdessi

Other than the main event I'm kinda excited to see Thiago vs John Howard. Not so sure about the other main card fights. These seem kinda uninteresting to anyone else?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Other than the McCorkle/Struve bout, I like every fight on this card.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Other than the McCorkle/Struve bout, I like every fight on this card.
Struve seemed like an odd choice for co main event.
Jim Miller is always exciting.
Joe and Mac could be fun, but again not entirely major main event caliber for a title fight such as this.

ChrisSurf

Awards
I'm not a GSP fanboy, but he's gonna make Koscheck look like a 1st time amateur

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Struve seemed like an odd choice for co main event.
Jim Miller is always exciting.
Joe and Mac could be fun, but again not entirely major main event caliber for a title fight such as this.
Alves vs Howard will be lightning, Miller vs Oliveira will be fantastic, I think, and has a fair amount of divisional relevancy, and Danzig vs Stephenson will be a nice grappling display.

I like the card, to be honest. Not much name value, but the bouts are all competitive on paper in their own right.

Motox

Awards
  • Established
Finally an MMA fighter has learned the value of the jab. Honestly GSP won the fight on the most fundamental principle of boxing... Jab... Double jab roll-out.... Double jab, cross roll-out. Awesome, I cant wait to see Georges hands in a year.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hopefully they will fight at 185

adrenaline

adrenaline

Awards
Great fight night... Alves looked real good in his win, GSP dominated all 5 rounds against douchecheck... good night all around.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The UFC is really, really getting arrogant with their business model. The talent is getting spread way too thin and the last several PPVs have been weak. Struve/McCorkle is a BS co-main event. They really need to be careful with their marketing strategy. Even their New Year's card, one of their premier cards, is lacking. I doubt the prospect of watching Maynard/Edgar for 5 rounds is garnering a lot of interest. I'm by no means bitching about the amount of MMA available, but, for $50, the cards are really lacking.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
^agreed.

I did like the change of pace for St. Pierre in the main event.
Also Thiago looked great and he deserves a good amount of praise without a doubt, but Joe and Mike were hamming it up quite a bit. You'd think they were trying to get in Thiago's pants.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Spoiler Post

As far as big names are concerned, UFC 124 was unimpressive, however, as far as the fights themselves were concerned, this was one of the overall more entertaining cards as a whole in a long time.

Prior to the GSP/Kos II fight, the big joke was that since GSP likes to throw his opponents off of their anticipated gameplan, this was potentially going to be GSP's first 5 round stand up war, all of which was suppose to be a big joke, but damn.... no joke.

Also, Alves fought like a thick Jose Aldo. There was something cool about every fight, even the Strove/McCorkle fight had a cool sweep into full mount finish.

maddbomber

Awards
i dont think the ufc is spread thin AT ALL...just because you are not a big name doesnt mean that you arent talented or that the fight wont be good....a lot of the fights that dont have big names turn out to be great fights....and its only going to get better with the wec merger....i watch a fight to see the fight....not because i know the name of the guy fighting....i mean look at the rashad evans/rampage fight...it was hyped up sooooooo much and it was a complete dud

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont think the ufc is spread thin AT ALL...just because you are not a big name doesnt mean that you arent talented or that the fight wont be good....a lot of the fights that dont have big names turn out to be great fights....and its only going to get better with the wec merger....i watch a fight to see the fight....not because i know the name of the guy fighting....i mean look at the rashad evans/rampage fight...it was hyped up sooooooo much and it was a complete dud
Do you honestly get excited about a co-main event involving Sean McCorkle and Stefan Struve? I could easily argue that it's even worse considering all of the talent that they have. You have to garner interest in each card for it to do well and this year has had some rather mundane main events (Couture/Coleman, Mir/CC, Rashad/Silva) this year. That's not even mentioning the Abu Dhabi debacle...

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
I'm by no means bitching about the amount of MMA available, but, for $50, the cards are really lacking.
Try one of the several live streaming programs. There was one mentioned above - but I've always gone with SOPCAST - go to the website and download the software (has been safe for me thus far - over a year of use) and go to channel 24267 - their MMA channel. Shows live PPV events free!!

maddbomber

Awards
Do you honestly get excited about a co-main event involving Sean McCorkle and Stefan Struve? I could easily argue that it's even worse considering all of the talent that they have. You have to garner interest in each card for it to do well and this year has had some rather mundane main events (Couture/Coleman, Mir/CC, Rashad/Silva) this year. That's not even mentioning the Abu Dhabi debacle...
sure they could put better cards together as far as names go....but you have to take in to account the amount of shows that they do...i understand what you are saying though as far as payin $50 per show....i was excited for the struve fight because mccorkle had been running his mouth and struve is an exciting fighter so i thought there might be fireworks....BUT he did not deserve to be a co-main event by any means....i def. get what you are saying, but big names dont mean good fights....i want my money back after the rashad/rampage card...or silva/leites....or silva/maia....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sure they could put better cards together as far as names go....but you have to take in to account the amount of shows that they do...i understand what you are saying though as far as payin $50 per show....i was excited for the struve fight because mccorkle had been running his mouth and struve is an exciting fighter so i thought there might be fireworks....BUT he did not deserve to be a co-main event by any means....i def. get what you are saying, but big names dont mean good fights....i want my money back after the rashad/rampage card...or silva/leites....or silva/maia....
I'm not saying that big names equal great fights. However, you do need to have compelling and important fights. IDK why they put Thiago against John Howard; they were clearly in different leagues before that fight and is a waste of a top talent. I realize that there have been a slew of injuries this year that have plagued events (Shogun, Vitor, Andy, Lesnar, etc.), but I still do not get excited about a Couture/Coleman main event.

maddbomber

Awards
I'm not saying that big names equal great fights. However, you do need to have compelling and important fights. IDK why they put Thiago against John Howard; they were clearly in different leagues before that fight and is a waste of a top talent. I realize that there have been a slew of injuries this year that have plagued events (Shogun, Vitor, Andy, Lesnar, etc.), but I still do not get excited about a Couture/Coleman main event.
same here....the alves fight was probably due to his lackluster performances recently...he was on his way down so they gave him an up and comer...a loss there cements him as a gatekeeper, a win shows he still has hope...

howard has a helluva chin

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's add Jose Aldo on the list of disappointing injuries. He won't be out long, but I was looking forward to his UFC debut.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
same here....the alves fight was probably due to his lackluster performances recently...he was on his way down so they gave him an up and comer...a loss there cements him as a gatekeeper, a win shows he still has hope...

howard has a helluva chin
On the way down? Losing to GSP and Fitch shows you're on the way down?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think the general population are as of MMA sound mind as you are. I see what he's saying, that the general perception of two straight loses by way of domination, regardless of the caliber, or arguably more importantly, the style of his opponents (dominate wrestlers), simply looks like two bad loses.

As far as PR to the general masses, I can see how one could speculate that Alves was "on his way down." I'm not sure that everyone considers who someone loses to, as oppose to simply perceiving the loss.

I think Alves needs to be in a division where the tip top of the division are strikers, otherwise, he'll lose via wrestling domination, imho.

maddbomber

Awards
I don't think the general population are as of MMA sound mind as you are. I see what he's saying, that the general perception of two straight loses by way of domination, regardless of the caliber, or arguably more importantly, the style of his opponents (dominate wrestlers), simply looks like two bad loses.

As far as PR to the general masses, I can see how one could speculate that Alves was "on his way down." I'm not sure that everyone considers who someone loses to, as oppose to simply perceiving the loss.

I think Alves needs to be in a division where the tip top of the division are strikers, otherwise, he'll lose via wrestling domination, imho.
you couldnt be more off.....im not one of those casual mma fans...i watch everything from k-1 to mfc to xfc to ufc to any local shows.....that doesnt make me an expert and thats not where im going...but i did consider who the losses were to...it was the WAY he lost coupled with his inability to evolve as a fighter that i look at him as "on his way down"...he is a "style" fighter...he can bang and has great muay thai BUT he is not well rounded, therefore will never be a true title contender

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He displayed solid wrestling, great game-planning and a return to technical striking: if anything, he is greatly improved.

You are almost completely discounting his massive layoff from UFC 100 to UFC 117 against Fitch, and the significant weight issues which plagued him in that fight.

maddbomber

Awards
He displayed solid wrestling, great game-planning and a return to technical striking: if anything, he is greatly improved.

You are almost completely discounting his massive layoff from UFC 100 to UFC 117 against Fitch, and the significant weight issues which plagued him in that fight.
i left his trouble of cutting weight out of it to give him the benefit of the doubt.....i would really like to see him at 185 to see what effect that massive weight cut is having.....i do agree that he greatly improved, which was my first point

maddbomber

Awards
losing 3-4 fights in a row in the ufc will often get you cut...so yes, he was on the way down

losing two in a row certainly doesnt mean you are staying where you were or going up in the food chain

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
losing 3-4 fights in a row in the ufc will often get you cut...so yes, he was on the way down

losing two in a row certainly doesnt mean you are staying where you were or going up in the food chain
Losing to the consensus top-2 WW who have lost a combined 2 times in the past 6 years isn't exactly a fair comparison. They're both a stylistic nightmare for Fitch as grinding wrestlers generally are to all strikers. He was manhandled by wrestlers; he wasn't finished, rocked, or in any danger of being subbed. When you're still in the top-5 after those losses, you are by no means "on the way down."

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you couldnt be more off.....im not one of those casual mma fans...i watch everything from k-1 to mfc to xfc to ufc to any local shows.....that doesnt make me an expert and thats not where im going...but i did consider who the losses were to...it was the WAY he lost coupled with his inability to evolve as a fighter that i look at him as "on his way down"...he is a "style" fighter...he can bang and has great muay thai BUT he is not well rounded, therefore will never be a true title contender
I was sort of sticking up for you, so I don't know why you got all butt hurt.

maddbomber

Awards
Losing to the consensus top-2 WW who have lost a combined 2 times in the past 6 years isn't exactly a fair comparison. They're both a stylistic nightmare for Fitch as grinding wrestlers generally are to all strikers. He was manhandled by wrestlers; he wasn't finished, rocked, or in any danger of being subbed. When you're still in the top-5 after those losses, you are by no means "on the way down."
ehhh we'll just have to agree to disagree....if he wasnt on the way down they wouldnt have given him howard, someone the majority of people havent even heard of or seen fight....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ehhh we'll just have to agree to disagree....if he wasnt on the way down they wouldnt have given him howard, someone the majority of people havent even heard of or seen fight....
Jon Fitch fought Chris Wilson before getting a title shot at GSP and has since faced Ben Saunders, Mike Pierce, Akihiro Gono, and Paulo Thiago before fighting Thiago Alves. There really aren't many compelling matchups at WW since it's so top heavy and since the AKA guys won't fight each other. It still boggles my mind that Dan Hardy even got a title shot considering he had two wins via split decision, a KO over a journeyman, and then a decision against a fringe top-15 WW.

maddbomber

Awards
Jon Fitch fought Chris Wilson before getting a title shot at GSP and has since faced Ben Saunders, Mike Pierce, Akihiro Gono, and Paulo Thiago before fighting Thiago Alves. There really aren't many compelling matchups at WW since it's so top heavy and since the AKA guys won't fight each other. It still boggles my mind that Dan Hardy even got a title shot considering he had two wins via split decision, a KO over a journeyman, and then a decision against a fringe top-15 WW.
i agree...there are not any compelling matchups for gsp...the aka guys are ****heads for not fighting each other...i understand it, but they are supposed to be professional athletes...anyways...im gonna go watch the wec card a dvr'ed tonight...henderson/pettis should be spectacular

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree...there are not any compelling matchups for gsp...the aka guys are ****heads for not fighting each other...i understand it, but they are supposed to be professional athletes...anyways...im gonna go watch the wec card a dvr'ed tonight...henderson/pettis should be spectacular
When you've trained with someone for that long, you form a bond. On one hand I can see where they're coming from because I could never fight any of my regular training partners. However, my purse is not even 1/50th of theirs...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
Aleksandar37 MMA 8