No one talking about Rampage vs Machida?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. then wouldnt the same rationale go for a person laying on someones legs for a neverending takedown attempt??? if those strikes were allowed, then they would also too be in danger on their own accord. i agree about the referees as referees change their gameplan form fight to fight..they will let rashaaad for example have a 5 minute takedown attemp on the cage, but then make a fighter like kristoff sosynzski(mis-spelled) standup after 30 seconds and even while he is throwing knees to the legs and such. and as far a the point deduction for timidity...gerald harris has been cut form the ufc..and i think the third round stare off is why.


  2. A match this big should of been a 5 rounder I thought they passed that? So sick of this crap.
    •   
       


  3. Excuse the rant, but srs!

    Why is everyone talking about changing the rules and asking for yellow cards and stuff?

    If you ask for more rules and regulations you will turn MMA into the joke NFL is becoming! There are more and more rules and regulations being brought into NFL and it is ruining a sport that has been around for centuries!

    There doesnt need to be more rules and regulations and fines and yellow cards, there needs to be fighters who dont leave **** on the table, they fight to win!!! Take Diego Sanchez for instance, he pushes every fight, no matter what, if he is getting his ass beat he will still take the center of the octagon!

    I am sick of all the old school fighters coming back to try and win a fight in the octagon! Tito is washed up, Rampage isnt far behind (as much as I loved him in pride and it kills me to say, because I still think he is badass!), and I just saw a fight with Karo and another one with Gonzaga! These guys are behind the times now! You have fighters like Jones, and Cain who are setting a new bar!

    It is what it is, you have exciting fights and ones that are less exciting. We as MMA fans are not happy unless someone is KO'd or choked the hell out!

    But as it goes, if you leave it to the judges (agreed most are not fit for the job) there will be speculation! So knock the clown out or tap him, end of story! No questions of who won the fight!

    Orrrrrr is there still question? Brock clearly tapped Carwin and people still say "oh well he was getting his ass beat before that soooo...." who cares, of course he was going to take some punches, Shane is a bad mofo who loves to knock people out, Brock took them and still choked a bitch! So all who hate him and say he should have lost..... I disagree! He took all Shane could give him, bide'd his time and took advantage of the situation to get an arm raise at the end!

    Rules are fine the way they are, MMA fighters need to do their DAMN! job! They train to finish fights, finish them!


    End rant!

  4. I think everyone with a brain will disagree with you about the rules. The scoring system is based off of outdated concepts presented by Jeff Blatnick, who was a wrestler. Based upon these, you have many judges that see a TD as the highest point scorer outside of a knockdown. The current rules don't take into effect things that can change the fight such as leg kicks, near submissions, etc. They need to change and not to overly regulate. In fact, I argue to de-regulate several of them such as knees to the head of a downed opponent.

    As far as old school fighters go, you don't see Kimo, Frye, Royce, etc. on the big stage anymore. They may fight locally, but there are only a handful of fighters that started in the 90's that are still relevant: Wand, Couture, Vitor, Hendo, Babalu, and very few others. The fact is that the sport is rapidly evolving and it makes no sense to not have the rules change along with it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. You can disagree all you want, it is an opinion, neither yours nor mine is correct, that is the beauty of everyone's varying in one way or another.

    As far as the scoring system, are you trying to tell me that leg kicks and near submissions arent taken into account? I beg to differ, matter of fact that is all you hear about during fights, how Joe Rogan (if UFC) or Frank Mir and others (if WEC) talk about a fight being skewed in one way or another if the fight is close due to leg kicks or near submissions. Are light leg kicks going to be credited, hell no, but hard landing leg kicks that are not checked most certainly, cautious or sub-cautious are taken into account!
    Also near submissions will also skew a judges decision if it is close, much like a late take down. If a fight is very close come the end of a round and you score a take down and not even necessarily do anything while in side mount, the take down at the end can and will get you a W for the round every time, let alone a take down and a near submission.

    Near submissions and leg kicks rank right up there with pushing the fight, you may not be throwing many kicks or punches but as long as you are not getting hit, and you push the fight and are constantly trying to cut the octagon off on your opponent, it gets you points in the eyes of a judge.

    I do agree that the judges are a work in progress and do not always see things as others may, but your claims are inaccurate, and again I say...... knock them out or tap them and this discussion never even happens.
    •   
       


  6. the rule changes are needed for the fighters who do not fight, but play the point game so they do not get beat. you cannot finish a fighter that will not engage in the fight. and i dont care how many leg kicks you land, if you get taken down once then the judges will score the round against you, even if you pop right back up...and have the jugdes dont know any submissions, so how can they score an attempt? they are no more knowledgeble than the fans that boo if there is not continuos action or if the fight is on the ground....the only thing they can identify is punch, a ko, and a takedown.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by iron fists View Post
    the rule changes are needed for the fighters who do not fight, but play the point game so they do not get beat. you cannot finish a fighter that will not engage in the fight. and i dont care how many leg kicks you land, if you get taken down once then the judges will score the round against you, even if you pop right back up...and have the jugdes dont know any submissions, so how can they score an attempt? they are no more knowledgeble than the fans that boo if there is not continuos action or if the fight is on the ground....the only thing they can identify is punch, a ko, and a takedown.
    I am not disagreeing whether or not the judges are ignorant, I am merely saying that instead of making changes to the rules and making this about fines and money, just simply make fights with guys who you know are going to fight and put it all on the line and the others, well fill their cards with no names until their contracts are full filled and get rid of them. Simple as that.
    Some guys are notorious (McKee) for merely winning fights based on points, you know it, Dana knows it, Zuffa knows it, and they continue to set up fights for them.

    Now if you were to say they need to enforce their point deduction system a little better then yes I could agree. But handing someone a yellow card like they are in soccer and then they receive a fine for it is not the right approach!

    Fact is, some people want to fight and love to be hit, and others are in the UFC because they think they are fighters and until the real deal fighters knock them around, they will be in it until their fight card is filled then get rid of them.

    Oh and I completely disagree with the comment that you can not defeat a fighter who wont engage, that is an excuse. Does it frustrate you, yes, but there are ways of training for those types of fighters and you can beat them, if you are better then them!

    Paulo Tiago is a guy who comes to mind, if you wanna waltz around the outside of the octagon and play games, he will come in after you and make you fight HIS FIGHT!

  8. Quote Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
    You can disagree all you want, it is an opinion, neither yours nor mine is correct, that is the beauty of everyone's varying in one way or another.

    As far as the scoring system, are you trying to tell me that leg kicks and near submissions arent taken into account? I beg to differ, matter of fact that is all you hear about during fights, how Joe Rogan (if UFC) or Frank Mir and others (if WEC) talk about a fight being skewed in one way or another if the fight is close due to leg kicks or near submissions. Are light leg kicks going to be credited, hell no, but hard landing leg kicks that are not checked most certainly, cautious or sub-cautious are taken into account!
    Also near submissions will also skew a judges decision if it is close, much like a late take down. If a fight is very close come the end of a round and you score a take down and not even necessarily do anything while in side mount, the take down at the end can and will get you a W for the round every time, let alone a take down and a near submission.

    Near submissions and leg kicks rank right up there with pushing the fight, you may not be throwing many kicks or punches but as long as you are not getting hit, and you push the fight and are constantly trying to cut the octagon off on your opponent, it gets you points in the eyes of a judge.

    I do agree that the judges are a work in progress and do not always see things as others may, but your claims are inaccurate, and again I say...... knock them out or tap them and this discussion never even happens.
    Leg kicks seldom play a huge factor into the decision of the judges because they generally do not train and understand how much that can change a fight. I never said anything about a fine, but implementing yellow cards would light a fire under the ass of most fighters. Make it a loss of a point instead of a fine and you give them all the incentive they will need. I've seen fights end due to timidity via DQ and it was great to see the refs enforcing the rules properly. On the other hand, I've seen a ref standup a fight in side sontrol with a kimura locked in. Hell, near submissions are even more ignored (e.g. Cerrone/Henderson I) even if they occur several times within a round.

    I've talked to a few TX judges backstage at some events were I was a cornerman and I never get a consensus agreement about the rules and which weighs more heavily. The refs are just as bad if not worse.

    You can have the romantic view of fighting were it always ends in a stoppage, but the fact is there will always be decisions especially as the talent gap becomes more and more narrow. When you have fighters constantly expanding their skills, they will inevitably cancel out some of their strengths (e.g. Munoz/Simpson).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  9. Quote Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
    I am not disagreeing whether or not the judges are ignorant, I am merely saying that instead of making changes to the rules and making this about fines and money, just simply make fights with guys who you know are going to fight and put it all on the line and the others, well fill their cards with no names until their contracts are full filled and get rid of them. Simple as that.
    Some guys are notorious (McKee) for merely winning fights based on points, you know it, Dana knows it, Zuffa knows it, and they continue to set up fights for them.

    Now if you were to say they need to enforce their point deduction system a little better then yes I could agree. But handing someone a yellow card like they are in soccer and then they receive a fine for it is not the right approach!

    Fact is, some people want to fight and love to be hit, and others are in the UFC because they think they are fighters and until the real deal fighters knock them around, they will be in it until their fight card is filled then get rid of them.

    Oh and I completely disagree with the comment that you can not defeat a fighter who wont engage, that is an excuse. Does it frustrate you, yes, but there are ways of training for those types of fighters and you can beat them, if you are better then them!

    Paulo Tiago is a guy who comes to mind, if you wanna waltz around the outside of the octagon and play games, he will come in after you and make you fight HIS FIGHT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Leg kicks seldom play a huge factor into the decision of the judges because they generally do not train and understand how much that can change a fight. I never said anything about a fine, but implementing yellow cards would light a fire under the ass of most fighters. Make it a loss of a point instead of a fine and you give them all the incentive they will need. I've seen fights end due to timidity via DQ and it was great to see the refs enforcing the rules properly. On the other hand, I've seen a ref standup a fight in side sontrol with a kimura locked in. Hell, near submissions are even more ignored (e.g. Cerrone/Henderson I) even if they occur several times within a round.

    I've talked to a few TX judges backstage at some events were I was a cornerman and I never get a consensus agreement about the rules and which weighs more heavily. The refs are just as bad if not worse.

    You can have the romantic view of fighting were it always ends in a stoppage, but the fact is there will always be decisions especially as the talent gap becomes more and more narrow. When you have fighters constantly expanding their skills, they will inevitably cancel out some of their strengths (e.g. Munoz/Simpson).
    Ok so we do agree on something here, I mentioned above the point deduct system as well.

    I think near submissions play a factor for the individual placing it if it is a close fight and you lock something in and that was pretty much the highlight of the round, however..... multiple attempts resulting in failure looks bad on the individual placing the attempt because then it appears you can not get the job done with numerous opportunities. This leads the judges to believe there is a weak area in your submission attempts.

    I do agree that some change may be good as you make a good debate and seem to know your stuff and have access to the "behind the curtain" scene.

    I do not think the UFC and their management is perfect but I think they do a pretty good job, and with change things dont always turn out better.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
    Ok so we do agree on something here, I mentioned above the point deduct system as well.

    I think near submissions play a factor for the individual placing it if it is a close fight and you lock something in and that was pretty much the highlight of the round, however..... multiple attempts resulting in failure looks bad on the individual placing the attempt because then it appears you can not get the job done with numerous opportunities. This leads the judges to believe there is a weak area in your submission attempts.

    I do agree that some change may be good as you make a good debate and seem to know your stuff and have access to the "behind the curtain" scene.

    I do not think the UFC and their management is perfect but I think they do a pretty good job, and with change things dont always turn out better.
    Sadly, the UFC has no say upon the rules as the AC decide it. Subs are a peculiar part of MMA: they changed the game of fighting, yet they are not nearly as valued as their wrestling counterparts. One could easily argue that a failed sub is on par with a TD if they return to the feet within moments.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  11. Who's Rampage and Machida fighting next? I know Dana already said no to a rubber match.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Who's Rampage and Machida fighting next? I know Dana already said no to a rubber match.
    Probably waiting for the Bones/Bader fight before any decisions are made. I know that I'd love to see Rampage against Rog Nog for fun.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Well last night is another example of the horrid judging. The Phan/Garcia fight was absolutely ridiculous, and it became evident after the announcement of the first judges score card that it was going to be another example of incompetance. The NSAC needs some real refinement.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
  2. Evans vs Machida now since Rampage is out
    By maurice02 in forum MMA
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
  3. Machida and UFC 89
    By AE14 in forum MMA
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 03:38 PM
  4. Ortiz vs Machida
    By Mulletsoldier in forum MMA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 04:15 PM
  5. UFC 76: Machida vs.............
    By Beowulf in forum MMA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Log in
Log in