Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

WEC to merge with the UFC

NSCA - CSCS

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Great, just great...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

so looking forward to some great cards
    btw Aldo defends his new UFC 145lbs title on 1/1 on PPV
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I wonder how the LW title merge will go?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I wonder how the LW title merge will go?
    i would be so mad if i was a lightweight in the wec, if you were close to the top of that division in the wec and with the merge, your pretty much thrown to the middle of the pack all over again

but as of now the title is edgar vs maynard and henderson vs pettis in the last WEC fight....the two winners will then fight to merge the title
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i would be so mad if i was a lightweight in the wec, if you were close to the top of that division in the wec and with the merge, your pretty much thrown to the middle of the pack all over again

but as of now the title is edgar vs maynard and henderson vs pettis in the last WEC fight....the two winners will then fight to merge the title
    I'd be ecstatic because you get much, much more exposure and potential for sponsorships, endorsements, etc.

Fighting at LW in the WEC is like being in Triple A; yes, you're a pro and have a potential future, but you still want to get to the big leagues (UFC).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I hear you on that, but the top of that ladder will be worth 2-3 times more financially to those same fighters now and 2-3 times the celebrity. Massaging people's pocket for fame & fortune seem to heal most wounds.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I'd be ecstatic because you get much, much more exposure and potential for sponsorships, endorsements, etc.

Fighting at LW in the WEC is like being in Triple A; yes, you're a pro and have a potential future, but you still want to get to the big leagues (UFC).
    beat me to it.

Anyone have any theories as to why Aldo the beast turned down the fight with Kenflo? Whom I believe Aldo would win quite decisively.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

DW said that the winner of Pettis/Henderson will fight the winner of Edgar/Maynard for the UFC LW title
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Am I the only one that would favor Bendo over Edgar?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I would too. He is very quick with solid grappling, could cause issue. IMO however, he will be fighting Maynard and losing a boring decision
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    DW said that the winner of Pettis/Henderson will fight the winner of Edgar/Maynard for the UFC LW title
    That's exciting already!

No sir, you are not. If it came down to say, Maynard vs Bendo, it'll be superior GnP vs superior submissions. I would favor Bendo there as well, but a more challenging match then Edgar, imho.

Some of these WEC guys have long deserved the financial and celebrity stage of the UFC.
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

what i meant was someone like cerrone who can get a title shot in the WEC is thrown to the middle and now has to put an impressive win streak together to get to the top of the ladder now

similar thing happened to brian stann who was at one time a champion in wec, he lost before they merged that division, he still fights but he's no where near the top of his division since the merger

and someone on top of the divison in the WEC still does pretty good in terms of money, i don't think Urijah Faber is starving, vs someone who's fights don't even get showed on television

i agree hendo over edgar
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

what i meant was someone like cerrone who can get a title shot in the WEC is thrown to the middle and now has to put an impressive win streak together to get to the top of the ladder now

similar thing happened to brian stann who was at one time a champion in wec, he lost before they merged that division, he still fights but he's no where near the top of his division since the merger

and someone on top of the divison in the WEC still does pretty good in terms of money, i don't think Urijah Faber is starving, vs someone who's fights don't even get showed on television

i agree hendo over edgar
    Not a lot of Uriajah Fabers in the WEC. He's an extreme exception of being as financially successful and popular as he is. He has a shoe commercial for gawd sakes. I can't think of a UFC fighter with a shoe endorsement.

I could be being presumptuos, but most fighters who fight as a career, care more about how well they are paid, then their rank. If Cerrone would have had as many title contenderships in the UFC, as he has had in the WEC, that kind of exposure would have had him in a whole different stratosphere of fame & paygrade.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

i agree hendo over edgar
    The top WEC fighters make maybe 1/5 of their UFC counterparts. I think that Aldo maid somewhere around $35000 for his last fight. It's simple economics because a WEC event averages around 4000 spectators while a UFC event is closer to 11000-12000.

The merger will help their bank accounts far more than if they stayed separate entities. While I see your point about being thrown down a rung, it helps their career by simple exposure.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

maybe they can finally have the tyson griffin vs. faber rematch.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by iron fists View Post
    maybe they can finally have the tyson griffin vs. faber rematch.
    Faber fights at 135 and Tyson at 155. Why would they make that fight happen?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The top WEC fighters make maybe 1/5 of their UFC counterparts. I think that Aldo maid somewhere around $35000 for his last fight. It's simple economics because a WEC event averages around 4000 spectators while a UFC event is closer to 11000-12000.

The merger will help their bank accounts far more than if they stayed separate entities. While I see your point about being thrown down a rung, it helps their career by simple exposure.
    Wow ya didnt know that and that def puts it into perspective. U figure Aldo has to be one of the higher paid guys and that is mid level(maybe less) pay for UFC.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

well maybe because urijah will not be champ at 135 either..imo...and since tyson is clearly too small to compete at the higher level of 155 now that it would only make sense for him to drop to 145 especially now that the merge has taken place..and with that being said im sure it would not be too far fetched to have them both meet at 145 for a very entertaing matchup.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

faber is not moving back up, which he has stated on numerous occassions. In all honesty, I would have no interest in seeing that fight
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

really...you don think it would be entertaining...i think after urijah realizes he wont be that competetive at 135 im sure he would rather get well paid for a good card filler fight on a live tv event than retire. but you really dont think that would be a good fight??
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

really...you don think it would be entertaining...i think after urijah realizes he wont be that competetive at 135 im sure he would rather get well paid for a good card filler fight on a live tv event than retire. but you really dont think that would be a good fight??
    He hasn't even fought at 135 yet. You're putting the cart before the horse on this one.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Jose Aldo is about to blow up into a big name. As soon as he fights Grispi on a UFC PPV. This is great for the smaller guys. Sadly people go crazy for HWs, who are more often than not far less talented than a lot of the smaller guys.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Can't wait to see Aldo in the UFC.

Give it about what, 3 fights until people are asking for him to square off against Frankie Edgar for LHW title?
  25. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Can't wait to see Aldo in the UFC.

Give it about what, 3 fights until people are asking for him to square off against Frankie Edgar for LHW title?
    Assuming Edgar even makes that many defenses.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

This is random but.... :P
    The one thing I'll miss most once the brand WEC is dissolved would be stephan bonnar's fight commentary. Pretty impressive during the last couple of events.
  27. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I laughed at this after Faber looked to lose absolutely no speed nor power against Mizugaki, choking him out rather easily.
  28. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I laughed at this after Faber looked to lose absolutely no speed nor power against Mizugaki, choking him out rather easily.
    I guess most people didn't know that Urijah cut practically no weight at 145 and he was much leaner against Mizugaki than he has been in the past. He talked about moving to 135 when he was still champ because of the emerging talent and their extra size.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Exactly.

This was not a cut made out of desperation, but one made because both the opportunities at 135lbs and the money invested in those opportunities are now equally as attractive to both at 145lbs.

145lbs was never his most appropriate weight, but the weight that afforded him the most appropriate opportunities. Now that these opportunities have been equalized, he has incentive to compete at a more appropriate weight - I expect him to do well there.
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

FABER vs. BJ penn
  31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fires View Post
    FABER vs. BJ penn
    Why would a BW fight a LW?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

im sorry but BW means, welter wieght?
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

im sorry but BW means, welter wieght?
    bantamweight aka 135
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

damn i never realized faber was that small! well it would be a good fight anyways if he could get his weight up/
  35. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

damn i never realized faber was that small! well it would be a good fight anyways if he could get his weight up/
    Urijah tried LW once and it didn't end well for him. He was KO'd by Tyson Griffin back in '05.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Banned

Im very happy about this! I am a big UFC,WEC and PRIDE fan.
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

how about that nam fan fight vs. wec's labrousa i think his name is.!!!

utter BS man
  38. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

how about that nam fan fight vs. wec's labrousa i think his name is.!!!

utter BS man
    You mean Garcia...

And yes, it was HORRID decision.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Seriously what did the judges see?
  40. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Seriously what did the judges see?
    I think, and this is pure speculation, that they used the "aggression" criteria as a factor for each round. The fact is that aggression is one of the lowest ranked criterion for each round, but so many people have been using it to justify their decisions. It's a very cloudy and ambiguous criterion and either needs to be amended for clarification or abolished altogether.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. I`d love to see these companiees merge.
    By reptone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM