so looking forward to some great cards
btw Aldo defends his new UFC 145lbs title on 1/1 on PPV :woohoo:

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder how the LW title merge will go?
i would be so mad if i was a lightweight in the wec, if you were close to the top of that division in the wec and with the merge, your pretty much thrown to the middle of the pack all over again

but as of now the title is edgar vs maynard and henderson vs pettis in the last WEC fight....the two winners will then fight to merge the title

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would be so mad if i was a lightweight in the wec, if you were close to the top of that division in the wec and with the merge, your pretty much thrown to the middle of the pack all over again

but as of now the title is edgar vs maynard and henderson vs pettis in the last WEC fight....the two winners will then fight to merge the title
I'd be ecstatic because you get much, much more exposure and potential for sponsorships, endorsements, etc.

Fighting at LW in the WEC is like being in Triple A; yes, you're a pro and have a potential future, but you still want to get to the big leagues (UFC).

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I hear you on that, but the top of that ladder will be worth 2-3 times more financially to those same fighters now and 2-3 times the celebrity. Massaging people's pocket for fame & fortune seem to heal most wounds.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be ecstatic because you get much, much more exposure and potential for sponsorships, endorsements, etc.

Fighting at LW in the WEC is like being in Triple A; yes, you're a pro and have a potential future, but you still want to get to the big leagues (UFC).
beat me to it.

Anyone have any theories as to why Aldo the beast turned down the fight with Kenflo? Whom I believe Aldo would win quite decisively.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW said that the winner of Pettis/Henderson will fight the winner of Edgar/Maynard for the UFC LW title

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Am I the only one that would favor Bendo over Edgar?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would too. He is very quick with solid grappling, could cause issue. IMO however, he will be fighting Maynard and losing a boring decision

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW said that the winner of Pettis/Henderson will fight the winner of Edgar/Maynard for the UFC LW title
That's exciting already!

No sir, you are not. If it came down to say, Maynard vs Bendo, it'll be superior GnP vs superior submissions. I would favor Bendo there as well, but a more challenging match then Edgar, imho.

Some of these WEC guys have long deserved the financial and celebrity stage of the UFC.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what i meant was someone like cerrone who can get a title shot in the WEC is thrown to the middle and now has to put an impressive win streak together to get to the top of the ladder now

similar thing happened to brian stann who was at one time a champion in wec, he lost before they merged that division, he still fights but he's no where near the top of his division since the merger

and someone on top of the divison in the WEC still does pretty good in terms of money, i don't think Urijah Faber is starving, vs someone who's fights don't even get showed on television

i agree hendo over edgar

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what i meant was someone like cerrone who can get a title shot in the WEC is thrown to the middle and now has to put an impressive win streak together to get to the top of the ladder now

similar thing happened to brian stann who was at one time a champion in wec, he lost before they merged that division, he still fights but he's no where near the top of his division since the merger

and someone on top of the divison in the WEC still does pretty good in terms of money, i don't think Urijah Faber is starving, vs someone who's fights don't even get showed on television

i agree hendo over edgar
Not a lot of Uriajah Fabers in the WEC. He's an extreme exception of being as financially successful and popular as he is. He has a shoe commercial for gawd sakes. I can't think of a UFC fighter with a shoe endorsement.

I could be being presumptuos, but most fighters who fight as a career, care more about how well they are paid, then their rank. If Cerrone would have had as many title contenderships in the UFC, as he has had in the WEC, that kind of exposure would have had him in a whole different stratosphere of fame & paygrade.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

i agree hendo over edgar
The top WEC fighters make maybe 1/5 of their UFC counterparts. I think that Aldo maid somewhere around $35000 for his last fight. It's simple economics because a WEC event averages around 4000 spectators while a UFC event is closer to 11000-12000.

The merger will help their bank accounts far more than if they stayed separate entities. While I see your point about being thrown down a rung, it helps their career by simple exposure.

iron fists

Awards
maybe they can finally have the tyson griffin vs. faber rematch.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The top WEC fighters make maybe 1/5 of their UFC counterparts. I think that Aldo maid somewhere around $35000 for his last fight. It's simple economics because a WEC event averages around 4000 spectators while a UFC event is closer to 11000-12000.

The merger will help their bank accounts far more than if they stayed separate entities. While I see your point about being thrown down a rung, it helps their career by simple exposure.
Wow ya didnt know that and that def puts it into perspective. U figure Aldo has to be one of the higher paid guys and that is mid level(maybe less) pay for UFC.

iron fists

Awards
well maybe because urijah will not be champ at 135 either..imo...and since tyson is clearly too small to compete at the higher level of 155 now that it would only make sense for him to drop to 145 especially now that the merge has taken place..and with that being said im sure it would not be too far fetched to have them both meet at 145 for a very entertaing matchup.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
faber is not moving back up, which he has stated on numerous occassions. In all honesty, I would have no interest in seeing that fight

iron fists

Awards
really...you don think it would be entertaining...i think after urijah realizes he wont be that competetive at 135 im sure he would rather get well paid for a good card filler fight on a live tv event than retire. but you really dont think that would be a good fight??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really...you don think it would be entertaining...i think after urijah realizes he wont be that competetive at 135 im sure he would rather get well paid for a good card filler fight on a live tv event than retire. but you really dont think that would be a good fight??
He hasn't even fought at 135 yet. You're putting the cart before the horse on this one.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
Jose Aldo is about to blow up into a big name. As soon as he fights Grispi on a UFC PPV. This is great for the smaller guys. Sadly people go crazy for HWs, who are more often than not far less talented than a lot of the smaller guys.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Can't wait to see Aldo in the UFC.

Give it about what, 3 fights until people are asking for him to square off against Frankie Edgar for LHW title?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can't wait to see Aldo in the UFC.

Give it about what, 3 fights until people are asking for him to square off against Frankie Edgar for LHW title?
Assuming Edgar even makes that many defenses.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
This is random but.... :p
The one thing I'll miss most once the brand WEC is dissolved would be stephan bonnar's fight commentary. Pretty impressive during the last couple of events.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I laughed at this after Faber looked to lose absolutely no speed nor power against Mizugaki, choking him out rather easily.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I laughed at this after Faber looked to lose absolutely no speed nor power against Mizugaki, choking him out rather easily.
I guess most people didn't know that Urijah cut practically no weight at 145 and he was much leaner against Mizugaki than he has been in the past. He talked about moving to 135 when he was still champ because of the emerging talent and their extra size.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly.

This was not a cut made out of desperation, but one made because both the opportunities at 135lbs and the money invested in those opportunities are now equally as attractive to both at 145lbs.

145lbs was never his most appropriate weight, but the weight that afforded him the most appropriate opportunities. Now that these opportunities have been equalized, he has incentive to compete at a more appropriate weight - I expect him to do well there.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
damn i never realized faber was that small! well it would be a good fight anyways if he could get his weight up/

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
damn i never realized faber was that small! well it would be a good fight anyways if he could get his weight up/
Urijah tried LW once and it didn't end well for him. He was KO'd by Tyson Griffin back in '05.

Dr.Lang

Dr.Lang

Banned
Awards
Im very happy about this! I am a big UFC,WEC and PRIDE fan.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
how about that nam fan fight vs. wec's labrousa i think his name is.!!!

utter BS man

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously what did the judges see?
I think, and this is pure speculation, that they used the "aggression" criteria as a factor for each round. The fact is that aggression is one of the lowest ranked criterion for each round, but so many people have been using it to justify their decisions. It's a very cloudy and ambiguous criterion and either needs to be amended for clarification or abolished altogether.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think, and this is pure speculation, that they used the "aggression" criteria as a factor for each round. The fact is that aggression is one of the lowest ranked criterion for each round, but so many people have been using it to justify their decisions. It's a very cloudy and ambiguous criterion and either needs to be amended for clarification or abolished altogether.
I guess I could see that if that is what the judges want to claim they put weight in. But running at someone and getting smacked in the face shouldnt win u a fight. I wasnt happy when Garcia won against Jung, but this one is just absurd.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
i loved how joe rogan was ripping the judges throughout the rest of the night.

ufc has the 2 greatest announcers.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Haha I must admit it was funny to hear. Mike Goldberg just ignored Joe's comments about it all :laugh:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

If you really think that Goldberg is a quality announcer, then you haven't been paying attention. He's absolutely awful in every sense of the word. He once said that Travis Lutter was Jordan-esque with his BJJ...enough said.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you happen to see Doc Hamilton's proposal for rule changes to the CSAC? It would purportedly add effective damage (as the first criteria), a criteria for attempted submissions, and half point rounds.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you happen to see Doc Hamilton's proposal for rule changes to the CSAC? It would purportedly add effective damage (as the first criteria), a criteria for attempted submissions, and half point rounds.
Yes, and I must say that I love the proposal. There's an established criteria and a parameter for the half-point rounds.

lifterjaydawg

Awards
that last wec was amazing, great fights and the Pettis kick, wow! What a way for WEC to end.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 8
Jessep76 MMA 50
MMA 1
Jessep76 MMA 3
pmiller383 Company Promotions 8