Shields?

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Was it just me or did Jake Shields not impress anybody else in his UFC debut? He looked gassed after the first round and I think barely, barely won that fight. Now he gets a title shot against GSP? (do people really think koscheck will beat him?) Shields will be lucky to get passed the first round against GSP...unless he decides to pull a Dan Hardy on him and just toy with him for five rounds.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he might be better off at 185. His most recent fights were at 185, so he might have had a hard time with getting back down to 170.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
I think he might be better off at 185. His most recent fights were at 185, so he might have had a hard time with getting back down to 170.
thats true. but still it seemed like he wasn't really into it, know what i mean? if it was that hard then he should go back to 185 and fight silva.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I know what you mean. He seemed to be pretty gassed.

I would like to see him fight Dean Lister at 185 (I know, Lister opted out of his UFC contract a while ago :D ).

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Apparently Shields both injured his back and cut 20lbs in a single day, and these exacerbated his endurance issues. This being said, I find it unsettling that he will receive a title shot after such a brutally underwhelming performance.

In my estimation, title shots are traditionally awarded based on performance and not potential. A Shields title shot would be precisely the converse, which is disappointing. Though I was and am confident GSP would destroy whatever Shields showed up, he would be facing attempted murder charges against the Shields that showed up Saturday.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That does put things into perspective (a back injury on top of a big cut).

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If Joe Rogan could have sucked Jake Shields **** in the first two rounds he would have. Goddamn that was some annoying repetitive ****..

Not impressed at all. Can't wait for someone to break his face.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shields was notorious for a low gas-tank at WW, so this is nothing new. He's another example of a "tweener" in MMA: too big for one class and too small for another.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Though I was and am confident GSP would destroy whatever Shields showed up, he would be facing attempted murder charges against the Shields that showed up Saturday.
yeah, if that shields shows up against GSP, he should start making funeral arrangments.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where is mixedup in all this? He had a protracted argument with me regarding Shields' preeminence, so I am interested in his thoughts on the fighter's performance (or lack thereof).

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was expecting more from Shield's myself. I was actually hoping he'd make a strong impression, but instead, he just performed a lot of impressive little transitions that ultimately lead to nothing significant.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He needs to be at 185lbs case closed. His tank was dead at 170, and GSP might hurt him at that weight. Almost like a punishment fight

iron fists

Awards
i dont know why people are surprised with shields performance....as that is how he performs...and rogan wants to have jake sheilds baby.lmfao...and the sheilds being a tweener is is pretty funny too...but his biggest problem is his total lakc of pure atheltic ability...he has got the technique for sure...but his athleticism is non existant. and i also do not want hear another word about kampman being a world class striker.

Matsch22

Awards
If Joe Rogan could have sucked Jake Shields **** in the first two rounds he would have. Goddamn that was some annoying repetitive ****..

Not impressed at all. Can't wait for someone to break his face.
^^^^^

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rogan could have done a "got milk?" commercial after that Shields fight, only it ain't a milk mustache.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think he needs more time to get back used to 170. Granted I honestly havent watched him too much. But it does seem like he is one of those overachiever types. Does a lot with less than great talent.

Like others have said he is stuck in between a rock and a hard place. At 170 he has to cut too much and has limited energy which in a GSP fight is a must. And at 185 the guys will be much bigger which will be hard to overcome. Basically think of any Asian fighter. They dont really cut weight so during the fight they usually look like they belong in the weight class below.