Whats next for Randy Couture?

Dr Nick

Dr Nick

Awards
  • Established
Any news/romours about who he will be fighting next?
Before the Toney fight there were some talk about a run at the title but now not a word..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Last thing I heard was that he might be leaning towards retirement. His last 2 fights were essentially gimmes for him and it would be a nice way for him to go out.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he has a lot going on in his life with Xtreme couture and a ton of media stuff and other entertainment. He might as well retire. That or fight chuck or tito. I would hate to see him fight someone like Bones Jones.

iron fists

Awards
I could see randy fighting rampage it page loses to lyoto....or even rich franklin...he knows he doesnt have a title run chance..but he is up for interesting matchups/ good fights..plus with himmaking close to a million per fight with papy per view bonuses and such..i can see him stepping in for atleast one more.imo.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
I have all the respect in the world for Randy. He is a legend and an all time great. All that said I hope he retires. Personally, I have ZERO interest in seeing Randy fight anyone that this point. When I seen how easily Nog hurt him Im knew it was over. Nog hasnt hurt anyone standing but was repeatedly dropping Randy. He put up a valiant fight but he just doesnt have it. Had Vera still had a killer instinct he would have finished Randy. Randy should have lost that fight as well, crappy decision.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
not saying randy is washed up. but its funny how guys like tito, wandy, jardine,chuck still talk about titles. i guess its their fighter spirit and marketing.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
not saying randy is washed up. but its funny how guys like tito, wandy, jardine,chuck still talk about titles. i guess its their fighter spirit and marketing.
I just think in the case of most of those guys its the confidence in themselves As well as their not willing to accept the obvious, that their time has passed. Plus they are trying to market themselves, so if they do get a big win in the hopes of possibly getting another run.

I think Randy is a bit more of a realist.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plus Randy runs a pretty successful gym, so its not like if he retires from professional fighting he'll become a homebody. He'll probably be up in Xtreme Couture Helio Gracie style. Red Belt Greco Roman.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think Randy may be done already. I think hes tired, bored, and over it.

Dr Nick

Dr Nick

Awards
  • Established
Soo ,Randy will beat on Machida next;)

Am I the only one to think its a good matchup for Randy?

ken22

ken22

Awards
Randy needs to get Brock and turn him into a Real Champion!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes, I think you're the only one.

Randy needs to get Brock and turn him into a Real Champion!!
Randy trained with Brock before the Carwin fight. His problems run deeper than Randy's training ability.

ken22

ken22

Awards
Like he doesnt like being hit? His training camp should involve duct tapeing him
to a wall in a room full of boxers.

squatmonster

Awards

I think this would be a great fight , either that or a Couture Jackson match up would also be a good sell . I would even like to see Couture and Ortiz go at it again , but then again the way Tito has been fighting that might be another gimme fight to Couture.

Randy is a great fighter and champion and if he does decide to retire like someone already stated he has a successful gym so he will be involved in the sport for the rest of his life. He will be on the UFC one way or the other with new fighters and ect.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Last thing I heard was that he might be leaning towards retirement. His last 2 fights were essentially gimmes for him and it would be a nice way for him to go out.
Agreed, he has NOTHING to prove and very little to gain by fighting again. He's a genetic freak and has been beating the odds for a long time now. Go out while you can walk and talk and make money and a legacy on what you have already done.

Of course, he could fight Herschel Walker :biggthumpup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intellectually, Randy vs Machida is a one sided fight, leaning heavily toward Machida. However, a part of me would not be surprised if Randy pulled it off.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intellectually, Randy vs Machida is a one sided fight, leaning heavily toward Machida. However, a part of me would not be surprised if Randy pulled it off.
I agree with you, but I never doubt Randy Couture.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
You think he can avoid Randys takedown?
Yes. I don't know how Randy's takedowns compare directly with Tito's but, Ortiz could barely lay a hand on Machida, much less actually take him down.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You think he can avoid Randys takedown?
Yes. Randy's shots aren't anything spectacular. Being that Greco Roman is his foundation, theoretically, his TD's are most effective when he's up close & personal. I think Lyoto has better sumo TD's, then Randy has freestyle TD's. However, Lyoto isn't one to land TD's because he wants you on the ground, but its part of his point striking style and he needs to be up close & personal for his sumo, counter-balancing and foot sweep TD's.

All that being said, Randy is a smart fighter, he'll be more cognizant of his specific strengths & limitations against a fighter like Lyoto then the average MMA fighter, so we'll see what kind of game plan he decides to go with.

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
Randy's style of wrestling is much more effective than Tito's.. I mean look at what Hamill did to Tito and I don't consider him upper-echelon by any means. Randy even controlled Brock when he weighed in at what.. like 220? If Randy wins this fight I say he should cash in his chips, but who knows. Randy said he'd only fight for an intriguing match-up and this definitely is one. Machida's obvsiously the favorite, but you like betting on upsets Randy's never that huge of a gamble.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Like he doesnt like being hit? His training camp should involve duct tapeing him
to a wall in a room full of boxers.
That gave me a hell of a good chuckle. reminded me of one of those Mighty Duck movies.