WEC 51

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

A bunch of potentially great fights. Very surprised that Brown is undercard.
I'm honestly more excited about the Donald/Jamie 2 than Aldo but its neck and neck. Aldo really hasn't had any competition in any fight I've seen.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was checking this card out over the weekend. I'll defintely catch this one.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya I will def be watching this 1. Who is the hottie to the left? :sgrin:

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Ya I will def be watching this 1. Who is the hottie to the left? :sgrin:
I don't know but she should replace ufc's arianny! JK I'll take both please!

Pretty good fights. Jamie's lost his touch... or Donald is just that improved;)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please move Aldo to 155. He is so far ahead of anyone at 145. Their only shot is to bring a bat at this point. I would love to see him and Cerrone/Henderson at 155, or just move him where he belongs, in the 155 in the UFC

1newbie

Awards
Faber saw the handwriting and dropped to 135. No one wants a piece of Aldo at 145. Gambuyran's leg was just about two kicks away from looking like Faber's.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please move Aldo to 155. He is so far ahead of anyone at 145. Their only shot is to bring a bat at this point. I would love to see him and Cerrone/Henderson at 155, or just move him where he belongs, in the 155 in the UFC
Agreed. There's nothing left for him to do at FW.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed. There's nothing left for him to do at FW.
all viable 145lbers have truly been decimated. Its silly now. They are going to throw Grispi in next? Why?

mh625

Awards
I think a few of the WEC's guys would fair pretty well in the UFC like Aldo, Cerrone, Henderson, and I think Faber too. I was real impressed with the cowboy on this card he looked like he was just on another level.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I think a few of the WEC's guys would fair pretty well in the UFC like Aldo, Cerrone, Henderson, and I think Faber too. I was real impressed with the cowboy on this card he looked like he was just on another level.
I agree except for Faber. He's great at 145 and we'll soon see how prosperous he is at 135, but he's not big or fast enough for 155. Aldo is again a given at 155 and Henderson/Cerrone would be interesting...

1newbie

Awards
Not sure if Cerrone was on another level or Varner has slipped down four levels.....Henderson made short work of Cerrone in their rematch. Would just love to see more of Aldo's skills, just no one seems to be able to really test him. I think with time Mike Brown could be the one. Fighting lefty, at least his left leg would be back and less of a target for Aldo. He also has the power to hurt Aldo. I don't think Faber has the frame/bone structure to be competitive at 155.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I'm interested to see miguel torres use his new improved wrestling skills. He's up at Tri-Star sharpening his tools which could mean for interesting title contention.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure if Cerrone was on another level or Varner has slipped down four levels.....Henderson made short work of Cerrone in their rematch. Would just love to see more of Aldo's skills, just no one seems to be able to really test him. I think with time Mike Brown could be the one. Fighting lefty, at least his left leg would be back and less of a target for Aldo. He also has the power to hurt Aldo. I don't think Faber has the frame/bone structure to be competitive at 155.
Faber fought at 155 once and got his ass handed to him.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know but she should replace ufc's arianny! JK I'll take both please!

Pretty good fights. Jamie's lost his touch... or Donald is just that improved;)
Haha she should but ya I agree both please.

I think Jamie lost his touch.

Agreed Man aldo is just killing the competition. Him in the UFC at 155 would be interesting. Him in the WEC is just not fair.

I agree except for Faber. He's great at 145 and we'll soon see how prosperous he is at 135, but he's not big or fast enough for 155. Aldo is again a given at 155 and Henderson/Cerrone would be interesting...
Ya Faber would die at 155 in the UFC. He is just too small.

Faber fought at 155 once and got his ass handed to him.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Faber couldnt beat WEC 155's what makes you think he could take on the UFC. I am a faber fan but he cant even crack top 3 in 145. I hope he does well in 135. hes just so short the ladies are taller than him.

Cerrone is really fun I like that guy. Varner is a such a tool bag I am glad he lost. Cant wait for Henderson Cerrone II.

It was a great WEC all around. The Roop high kick was sick. Aldo destructed gamby. I wish I could see the mike brown fight. that was odd he was on the undercard. Talk about demotion. And welcome back Torres! I really enjoyed it and love the WEC. Glad to see its doing well. I dont think many fighters will move to the UFC because these guys are whats keeping WEC alive.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Faber couldnt beat WEC 155's what makes you think he could take on the UFC. I am a faber fan but he cant even crack top 3 in 145. I hope he does well in 135. hes just so short the ladies are taller than him.

Cerrone is really fun I like that guy. Varner is a such a tool bag I am glad he lost. Cant wait for Henderson Cerrone II.

It was a great WEC all around. The Roop high kick was sick. Aldo destructed gamby. I wish I could see the mike brown fight. that was odd he was on the undercard. Talk about demotion. And welcome back Torres! I really enjoyed it and love the WEC. Glad to see its doing well. I dont think many fighters will move to the UFC because these guys are whats keeping WEC alive.
You mean Henderson/Cerrone III?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
You mean Henderson/Cerrone III?
Oh yeah! I almost checked that but I was in class. I dont know if cerrones take down defense got better but it was great seeing him shoot for some take downs and jsut mixing it up gonig for a take down then poppin up for some strikes. Jamie didnt know what to think I loved it.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
Little off subject.. But what did you guys think about that World of Jenks show on MTV where he did WEC's anthony pettis?

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
It did not surprise me at all but I do think they talk it up and show a little more hardship than they actually do but I dont know. I am sure plenty do have tough lives and support others. It was cool that he layed that guy out though. Pretty good point in his career to follow him.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It did not surprise me at all but I do think they talk it up and show a little more hardship than they actually do but I dont know. I am sure plenty do have tough lives and support others. It was cool that he layed that guy out though. Pretty good point in his career to follow him.
Ya u have to play the odds that a person who fights for a living has been through some tough times. Of course there r the exceptions as with anything. But ya he was def an interesting guy to follow at this point in his career.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
Thought this was a fight thread? I only see some sexy chick in a blue bikini thing.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Thought this was a fight thread? I only see some sexy chick in a blue bikini thing.
You gotta mix it up once in a while, you know? A couple of guys nearly got in the way when i snapped the pic;) She was smiling at me cuz i was making obscene gestures. She wants it.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
You gotta mix it up once in a while, you know? A couple of guys nearly got in the way when i snapped the pic;) She was smiling at me cuz i was making obscene gestures. She wants it.
tits for days

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with every, "Aldo needs to move up to the UFC" post.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
just posted on mmaweekly today that many top 155's and aldo will be going to the UFC in the future most likely. I think they should be able to go back and forth. Henderson,Varner, Cerrone and 2 others will go. Aldo and uhh aldo will move up. I am ready for this.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
just posted on mmaweekly today that many top 155's and aldo will be going to the UFC in the future most likely. I think they should be able to go back and forth. Henderson,Varner, Cerrone and 2 others will go. Aldo and uhh aldo will move up. I am ready for this.
Did it say no going back and forth? Those are all the WEC's biggest names, certainly will make the 155 class not as exciting... still great fighters in the division don't get me wrong. Cerrone is as much the golden boy for WEC as Faber.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i have no idea what they will do. It will hurt the WEC terribly tho. I cant stand the small guys. If I feel like I can beat them by watching them....I dont want to watch lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have no idea what they will do. It will hurt the WEC terribly tho. I cant stand the small guys. If I feel like I can beat them by watching them....I dont want to watch lol.
I'd rather watch WEC than about 90% of the fights they have in the UFC.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I'd rather watch WEC than about 90% of the fights they have in the UFC.
This is true. Just compare for example the Leonard Garcia/Chan Sung Jung which was not a headliner, to the headliner Mir/Crocop. WEC guys put their heart and soul into each fight. I don't remember the last time i was bored watching WEC, but UFC on the other hand I can remember maybe 2 this year where the entire card was great.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is true. Just compare for example the Leonard Garcia/Chan Sung Jung which was not a headliner, to the headliner Mir/Crocop. WEC guys put their heart and soul into each fight. I don't remember the last time i was bored watching WEC, but UFC on the other hand I can remember maybe 2 this year where the entire card was great.
Cruz/Benavidez was pretty boring, but that's the only title fight I can think of since I've been watching WEC that was anywhere near boring.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
they do have some great fights dont get me wrong. I would prefer to watch 50% of the Ufc fights over the WEC fights. I am just not as interested in smaller guys.....(boy does that sound homo)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
they do have some great fights dont get me wrong. I would prefer to watch 50% of the Ufc fights over the WEC fights. I am just not as interested in smaller guys.....(boy does that sound homo)
I hear you. As a broad stroke presumption, when males idolize other men/heros in a masculinity sense, as MMA is, males prefer to idolize men more masculine then themselves. Being 215lbs and respectfully solid myself, it took me awhile to acclimate to the WEC, because an overwhelming number of their fighters were the size of little kids to me. However, it wasn't until I gave it a chance and realized how technical and fast pace WEC matches were that I became interested and learned to appreciate it for its display of MMA talent. Nonetheless, there are only a select few that I'm actually a fan of, like Cerrone, Benderson and Aldo. I didnt' get into the WEC until after Miguel Torres' "downfall," so I never got a chance to like him, though historically, he is one of WEC's golden boys.

I'd love to see Aldo up against a Maynard, Edgar, Penn, Florian... short of BJ reclaimning the title, which I'm not confident of, I'd love to see Aldo more then anyone else hold the belt in that division.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ive been watching WEC forever because a job i had just left it on Versus all the time a few years back. WEC is fun because a good amount dont hold back. I would never pay for a PPV though. Its rough when I have 100 pounds and sometimes a foot on guys. I do like their pace, talent, and heart they have and thats why I always watch the WEC.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before the Zuffa era, there were some damn good fights that they used to show on HDnet. Alfonso/Polakowski I, II, and III were damn good as were many other fights.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
yeah some exciting bouts. I only remember seeing repeats of those.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear you. As a broad stroke presumption, when males idolize other men/heros in a masculinity sense, as MMA is, males prefer to idolize men more masculine then themselves. Being 215lbs and respectfully solid myself, it took me awhile to acclimate to the WEC, because an overwhelming number of their fighters were the size of little kids to me. However, it wasn't until I gave it a chance and realized how technical and fast pace WEC matches were that I became interested and learned to appreciate it for its display of MMA talent. Nonetheless, there are only a select few that I'm actually a fan of, like Cerrone, Benderson and Aldo. I didnt' get into the WEC until after Miguel Torres' "downfall," so I never got a chance to like him, though historically, he is one of WEC's golden boys.

I'd love to see Aldo up against a Maynard, Edgar, Penn, Florian... short of BJ reclaimning the title, which I'm not confident of, I'd love to see Aldo more then anyone else hold the belt in that division.
It looks like both Aldo's and Florian's camps are pushing for a fight:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12926&zoneid=13

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It looks like both Aldo's and Florian's camps are pushing for a fight:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12926&zoneid=13
Damn, Kenny's got balls and that'd be a great fight. In my mind, if they were officially set to fight, I'd be less excited about the fight itself, as I'd already have picked Aldo to win, but I'd be more excited about the idea of Aldo in the UFC and some of the more elite fights that could go down. Of course I'm being ridiculously biased and presumptuous, but Kenny doesn't come off as the sniper death by low kicks assassin killer that Aldo is, imho.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It really sounds like this fight will happen over the next year.

I'd like to see the UFC just absorb the rest of the WEC. I'd rather watch most of these 135 - 155 fights over some of the lesser fights that the UFC puts on some of their main cards.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id rather they stay separate because they I can watch fights more often. Plus WEC is free :D

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'd like to see the UFC just absorb the rest of the WEC. I'd rather watch most of these 135 - 155 fights over some of the lesser fights that the UFC puts on some of their main cards.
I hear you, but as long as WEC is a profitable business, I don't foresee a full-on merger occurring. Although, I'd nut my pants over a Cerrone, Bendo, Aldo on the same card as a lot of the other UFC elites. I think certain fighters in the WEC have outgrown either in celebrity or sheer talent that the stage that WEC canprovide and needs/deserves to be on the mainstage at the UFC.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm wasn't thinking from a business standpoint , but rather from a fan's standpoint.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting read about Aldo vs Florian. Apparently this fight was offered and ALDO turned it down:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-confirms-aldo-was-offered-florian-fight-turned-it-down

The talk around town last week was the apparent offer the UFC made to WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo to make the jump to the lightweight division, move over to the UFC, and face former top contender Kenny Florian in his debut.

UFC president Dana White, when speaking with Comcast SportsNet’s Fight Fix show, confirmed the promotion did indeed make the offer, but that Aldo turned it down and opted to stay in the WEC for the time being.

“That is true,” he said. “Here’s the thing, Jose Aldo’s been talking about moving up to 155 pounds. Well, we had a slot and said, ‘alright, you want to move up to 155 pounds?’ and he said, ‘ah yeah, never mind.”

Aldo commented at the time that his managers and trainers opted to decline the fight at this time, and instead the world’s best featherweight will likely face another challenger at 145 pounds in January.

The desire for Aldo to compete at 155 pounds has been talked about for months, and considering the Brazilian’s dominance at featherweight everyone is curious at just how well he would do at the next weight class up.

White says the UFC will leave it up to Aldo as far as where he wants his career to go, but when the offer was made to go to 155 pounds this soon, it was just not the right time. Whether Aldo could potentially make that move in the next year is still up to him according to the UFC president.

“It depends on what this kid wants to do,” White said. “If he wants to stay in the WEC and defend that title, that’s cool. They were talking at one point about moving to 55, so we talked to him and said, ‘how’d you like to move to UFC’s 155-pound division and take on Kenny (Florian) and they turned it down.”

There is still speculation on who Aldo may face for his next title defense in the WEC as well. Rumors had pointed to Canadian striker Mark Hominick as the next choice, but Josh Grispi is also on the radar. Grispi holds a recent win over Hominick, and fights again on Nov. 11 against Erik Koch.

If Grispi is successful in his November fight, he may get the call to face Aldo, but only time will tell what the WEC’s final decision will be.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I came back to re-quote you because you called it. Apart from Dana's official annoucement of the UFC getting their own network, Dana has also announced that the WEC and UFC shall merge.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Yeah superlame. There own network huh. I wonder how it will go into my cable. UFC stuff all day? Geez they are gonig ot start having 2 events a month. More shows and UFC unleashed playing all day lol.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah superlame. There own network huh. I wonder how it will go into my cable. UFC stuff all day? Geez they are gonig ot start having 2 events a month. More shows and UFC unleashed playing all day lol.
U have to figure they will have paid programming going on, but the audience they attract would still be up later watching it. I wonder how it will work and if it will be on cable or some kind of crap u have to pay extra for.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm guessing more UFC or MMA related shows, like more documentaries on particular fighters, a more in depth prime time, like a leading up to the fight kind of series, BJJ clinics, who knows. I doubt they'll just be showing re-runs of UFC's all day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm guessing more UFC or MMA related shows, like more documentaries on particular fighters, a more in depth prime time, like a leading up to the fight kind of series, BJJ clinics, who knows. I doubt they'll just be showing re-runs of UFC's all day.
Don't forget they own all of the PRIDE, WEC, WFA, etc. footage as well. There's plenty of material to use for them.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
they wil lhave no problem with soon to be 125 plus UFC's. 12 soon to be 13 TUF's like what rodja said with the price and WEC. They also have all the countdowns and best of, knock outs, so much material. I think they will have some sort of an MMA news thing. They are going all out. by the time the channel is up, they will have even more nad more and more. also i bet spike TV is going to be PISSED!!!! seriously gonig to hurt them bad. Huge hit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 8
VolcomX311 MMA 46
MMA 1
Jessep76 MMA 3
pmiller383 Company Promotions 8