WEC 51 - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

WEC 51

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    It really sounds like this fight will happen over the next year.

I'd like to see the UFC just absorb the rest of the WEC. I'd rather watch most of these 135 - 155 fights over some of the lesser fights that the UFC puts on some of their main cards.
    I hear you, but as long as WEC is a profitable business, I don't foresee a full-on merger occurring. Although, I'd nut my pants over a Cerrone, Bendo, Aldo on the same card as a lot of the other UFC elites. I think certain fighters in the WEC have outgrown either in celebrity or sheer talent that the stage that WEC canprovide and needs/deserves to be on the mainstage at the UFC.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm wasn't thinking from a business standpoint , but rather from a fan's standpoint.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Interesting read about Aldo vs Florian. Apparently this fight was offered and ALDO turned it down:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-confirms-al...turned-it-down

The talk around town last week was the apparent offer the UFC made to WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo to make the jump to the lightweight division, move over to the UFC, and face former top contender Kenny Florian in his debut.

UFC president Dana White, when speaking with Comcast SportsNet’s Fight Fix show, confirmed the promotion did indeed make the offer, but that Aldo turned it down and opted to stay in the WEC for the time being.

“That is true,” he said. “Here’s the thing, Jose Aldo’s been talking about moving up to 155 pounds. Well, we had a slot and said, ‘alright, you want to move up to 155 pounds?’ and he said, ‘ah yeah, never mind.”

Aldo commented at the time that his managers and trainers opted to decline the fight at this time, and instead the world’s best featherweight will likely face another challenger at 145 pounds in January.

The desire for Aldo to compete at 155 pounds has been talked about for months, and considering the Brazilian’s dominance at featherweight everyone is curious at just how well he would do at the next weight class up.

White says the UFC will leave it up to Aldo as far as where he wants his career to go, but when the offer was made to go to 155 pounds this soon, it was just not the right time. Whether Aldo could potentially make that move in the next year is still up to him according to the UFC president.

“It depends on what this kid wants to do,” White said. “If he wants to stay in the WEC and defend that title, that’s cool. They were talking at one point about moving to 55, so we talked to him and said, ‘how’d you like to move to UFC’s 155-pound division and take on Kenny (Florian) and they turned it down.”

There is still speculation on who Aldo may face for his next title defense in the WEC as well. Rumors had pointed to Canadian striker Mark Hominick as the next choice, but Josh Grispi is also on the radar. Grispi holds a recent win over Hominick, and fights again on Nov. 11 against Erik Koch.

If Grispi is successful in his November fight, he may get the call to face Aldo, but only time will tell what the WEC’s final decision will be.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
    •   

4. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

It really sounds like this fight will happen over the next year.

I'd like to see the UFC just absorb the rest of the WEC. I'd rather watch most of these 135 - 155 fights over some of the lesser fights that the UFC puts on some of their main cards.
    I came back to re-quote you because you called it. Apart from Dana's official annoucement of the UFC getting their own network, Dana has also announced that the WEC and UFC shall merge.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Interesting read about Aldo vs Florian. Apparently this fight was offered and ALDO turned it down:

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-confirms-al...turned-it-down
    Yeah, that pissed me off. Aldo calls himself the world's number 2 p4p, but he's either too scared to fight KenFlo or his ego is already so big that he feels he deserves a Maynard, Penn or Edgar as a UFC debut.
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.

Yeah superlame. There own network huh. I wonder how it will go into my cable. UFC stuff all day? Geez they are gonig ot start having 2 events a month. More shows and UFC unleashed playing all day lol.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    Yeah superlame. There own network huh. I wonder how it will go into my cable. UFC stuff all day? Geez they are gonig ot start having 2 events a month. More shows and UFC unleashed playing all day lol.
    U have to figure they will have paid programming going on, but the audience they attract would still be up later watching it. I wonder how it will work and if it will be on cable or some kind of crap u have to pay extra for.
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    I'm guessing more UFC or MMA related shows, like more documentaries on particular fighters, a more in depth prime time, like a leading up to the fight kind of series, BJJ clinics, who knows. I doubt they'll just be showing re-runs of UFC's all day.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm guessing more UFC or MMA related shows, like more documentaries on particular fighters, a more in depth prime time, like a leading up to the fight kind of series, BJJ clinics, who knows. I doubt they'll just be showing re-runs of UFC's all day.
    Don't forget they own all of the PRIDE, WEC, WFA, etc. footage as well. There's plenty of material to use for them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.

they wil lhave no problem with soon to be 125 plus UFC's. 12 soon to be 13 TUF's like what rodja said with the price and WEC. They also have all the countdowns and best of, knock outs, so much material. I think they will have some sort of an MMA news thing. They are going all out. by the time the channel is up, they will have even more nad more and more. also i bet spike TV is going to be PISSED!!!! seriously gonig to hurt them bad. Huge hit.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Cruz/Benavidez was pretty boring, but that's the only title fight I can think of since I've been watching WEC that was anywhere near boring.
    Guess I should have read this before throwing it in as a memorable fight of the year.... Ha
    Just looking over WEC 53 card I'm wondering why I pay for some of the UFC fights (granted they'll be one in the same soon).
  •