Sonnen tests positive for PED's

S

Sweekaters

Awards
As tragic as this is for Chael fans, you can't assume everyone's using or you would also have to assume some tests are fixed and others are not.
Human Growth Hormone is currently not tested for in any major MMA organization. Add in the fact that most anabolics clear your system in a very short time frame. Most of these guys make bank based on their athletic performance, I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of the top guys use, but time their cycles around the tests to avoid being caught.

P

perico13

Banned
Awards
  • Established
crazy i was just gonna start a thread about this. excuse the dumb question but what are PEDs?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
crazy i was just gonna start a thread about this. excuse the dumb question but what are PEDs?
Performance
Enhancing
Drugs

Pretty much covers a lot of things but the obvious is AAS.

L

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
i think he took hormones because they showed a pic of his back at the weigh in at UFC 117 and he had alot of acne on his back and in the before pics from his prvious fight before silva he had none.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Umm I think UFC does test for HGH but it is very hard to catch. I heard it could be something stupid like OTC cold medicine because he was sick for a little bit. Also California has THE WORST and really odd testing. People always get caught and have problems with California athletic commission testing. I don't know if they are just really good or if something is going on.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
This just in Ed Soares is having major stomach pain....

from all the laughter ...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Human Growth Hormone is currently not tested for in any major MMA organization. Add in the fact that most anabolics clear your system in a very short time frame. Most of these guys make bank based on their athletic performance, I wouldn't be surprised if 90%+ of the top guys use, but time their cycles around the tests to avoid being caught.
Testing is not done by the organization and is done by the athletic commissions in each state. Some states, such as TX, do not have any testing at all. Also, many times, they randomly test 4-6 weeks prior to the event.

Umm I think UFC does test for HGH but it is very hard to catch. I heard it could be something stupid like OTC cold medicine because he was sick for a little bit. Also California has THE WORST and really odd testing. People always get caught and have problems with California athletic commission testing. I don't know if they are just really good or if something is going on.
HGH is only detectable by blood test and the AC only tests via urinalysis, but I agree that CA has the worst testing procedures in the game.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Testing is not done by the organization and is done by the athletic commissions in each state. Some states, such as TX, do not have any testing at all. Also, many times, they randomly test 4-6 weeks prior to the event.

HGH is only detectable by blood test and the AC only tests via urinalysis, but I agree that CA has the worst testing procedures in the game.
Ahh really? so do you think they are all on hgh then?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
HGH can be somewhat detected by blood but muscle biopsy is the only 100% accurate way we have IIRC.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahh really? so do you think they are all on hgh then?
IDK what percentage, but I can 100% say that Couture and Tito are using. There's a video on youtube from an interview leading up to their fight in '03. Their heads/jaw look completely different.

HGH can be somewhat detected by blood but muscle biopsy is the only 100% accurate way we have IIRC.
Olympic-style testing can detect it when the doses are above "therapeutic" doses. However, no AC doe this style of testing.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know what he tested pos. for. Some say caffeine is a PED.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Antonio big foot silva and josh barnett have the biggest jaws in the sport. Randy and tito really looked like they have and are pretty old and I am pretty sure Randy has done his fair share. It doesn't even bother me because most have used.

Back to Chael, I hope he gets off the hook or doesn't get suspended. I am dying to see him fight again.

P

perico13

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Performance
Enhancing
Drugs

Pretty much covers a lot of things but the obvious is AAS.
oh i thought it was some sort of petide or hormone

Antonio big foot silva and josh barnett have the biggest jaws in the sport. Randy and tito really looked like they have and are pretty old and I am pretty sure Randy has done his fair share. It doesn't even bother me because most have used.

Back to Chael, I hope he gets off the hook or doesn't get suspended. I am dying to see him fight again.
agree with this 100% weather on or off he still did a great job and with a little more practice and dicipline he could be great

S

Sweekaters

Awards

You mean to tell me

this man is not 100% natural? Well damn...

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
wow what is that ugly thing lmao. he blew in his fight vs werdum he couldnt finishi t was really sad.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bigfoot had a pituitary tumor removed several years ago.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
hes used. He got caught for using ATD. I bet he has suffered a shutdown a long time ago so just used ATD to boost up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hes used. He got caught for using ATD. I bet he has suffered a shutdown a long time ago so just used ATD to boost up.
How does ATD=AAS? ATD also doesn't do jack**** for shutdown and may even make it worse by acting against androgen receptors in the brain.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think he tested pos for that. many people say it can lead to small metabolites of other things. it was prolly bs though.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So did sonnen use ATD? Is that whats being said?

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bigfoot had a pituitary tumor removed several years ago.
I was about to comment that he looks like he has gigantism. A pituitary tumor would explain that.

I want to say that ATD gives a false positive for boldenone and or test due to downstream metabolites.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That just sounds odd. Here's the story Rodja linked. I know some of you ARE that lazy.
There have been two further developments in the Chael Sonnen positive drugs test story. Firstly whilst we still do not know exactly what the substance was that he tested positive for, The Wrestling Observer and other outlets are reporting that the California State Athletic Commission has confirmed that he failed due to an ”unusually high level of testosterone”. This would suggest that the substance he failed for was a steroid and would seemingly undermine the argument put forward by some, that the test failure was due to Sonnen taking medication to combat the cold he was complaining about before the fight.

Secondly and more bizarrely, the CSAC’s Executive Director George Dodd told Sports Illustrated that Sonnen had actually told him that he might fail for a Performance Enhancing Drug shortly before taking the pre-fight test, the day before UFC 117. Dodd told SI.com that “He only indicated that he was taking [illegal substance] but he never indicated why” and that Sonnen failed to include details of the substance or provide a genuine medical reason for using it in the formal documentation that all fighters submit to the Commission about any medicines or supplements they may be using.

There has of yet been no comment from Chael Sonnen.

I

iron fists

Awards
sounds like sonnen needs to get with brian cushings on this one....he is busted for having a higher than normal test level..but no compound found found yet... Bigfoot tested positive for equipoise in pro elite...cotour has a prescription for growth and test...he looks younger now than he did 10 years ago....and testing for gh is tough becuae your body pulsates its release every 3-4 hours..plus there is no direct number that says your high or low....but lets look at sean sherk..he got busted for being 2 nanograms above normal level and had nandrolone metabolites in his system..but his body has never changed.

I

iron fists

Awards
but if sonnen did take something..he should doubled his dose of jiu-jitsu.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
sounds like sonnen needs to get with brian cushings on this one....he is busted for having a higher than normal test level..but no compound found found yet... Bigfoot tested positive for equipoise in pro elite...cotour has a prescription for growth and test...he looks younger now than he did 10 years ago....and testing for gh is tough becuae your body pulsates its release every 3-4 hours..plus there is no direct number that says your high or low....but lets look at sean sherk..he got busted for being 2 nanograms above normal level and had nandrolone metabolites in his system..but his body has never changed.
just to be a little A hole id say hes lost a tiny bit buttttttt thats most likely due to age,different training habbits, preventing injury. He still looks amazing i just remember him in like 05-07 damn!

any proof on Randy C on test and hgh? you can really use those with a prescription? then every guy would have one. maybe just HGH.

I

iron fists

Awards
some one on here had posted about it.,.so i am just repeating what i had read on here...and you are a ahole.lol....sherk is still jacked..did you see the last countdown???and having the opportunity to train with ufc fighters before and during their ufc debut....form what i have learned through the loop is that many of the guys are on test or gh or both...but the difference is there sources..my best guess is the ones who are getting busted are not taking what they think are so they are getting busted...like getting deca instead of equipoise...so detection time isnt 6 months but now 18months for example.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before everyone damns Chael, remember that Vitor and Nate have both tested positive in their careers.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just as an aside, to replace Chael, Vitor was pulled from the Okami fight and will fight Anderson in early 2011. The winner of that gets the Marquardt/Okami winner.

Personally, I think Vitor is going to get smoked, but thats just my 2 cents

S

Sweekaters

Awards
What is with this? Chael gets busted for roiding and as a result loses his title shot. He gets replaced by Vitor Belfort, who tested positive in 2006?! Do the matchmakers in the UFC not see the irony in that?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is with this? Chael gets busted for roiding and as a result loses his title shot. He gets replaced by Vitor Belfort, who tested positive in 2006?! Do the matchmakers in the UFC not see the irony in that?
That wasn't in the UFC, so it didn't really happen.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
also its the most legit match up. getting his title shot yanked is the right thing...why? cuz its a year long suspension dude! do you want to wait over a year to see the next title shot? Vitor beat franklin and matt linland big time so lets test his standup vs A silva. I see nothing wrong with this at all. Okami vs silva would be terrible if silva tried. Marquart ehhh not as bad but SIlva would drop him.

SIlva vs Vitor is the only option. Only thing that will really draw a huge crowd.

People on this site(usually big MMA fans) wont put down Chael for steroid use because there are pretty educated fans on here who know what other fights do. Its just part of the game. SO many most likely use. I really stopped caring awhile ago.

Thats a very interesting theory on "not knowing what they are taking" thats a good point. a lot of people test positive for both EQ and deca. Finally a guy tested pos for Test tho? Was it test or something unknown?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
also its the most legit match up. getting his title shot yanked is the right thing...why? cuz its a year long suspension dude! do you want to wait over a year to see the next title shot? Vitor beat franklin and matt linland big time so lets test his standup vs A silva. I see nothing wrong with this at all. Okami vs silva would be terrible if silva tried. Marquart ehhh not as bad but SIlva would drop him.

SIlva vs Vitor is the only option. Only thing that will really draw a huge crowd.

People on this site(usually big MMA fans) wont put down Chael for steroid use because there are pretty educated fans on here who know what other fights do. Its just part of the game. SO many most likely use. I really stopped caring awhile ago.

Thats a very interesting theory on "not knowing what they are taking" thats a good point. a lot of people test positive for both EQ and deca. Finally a guy tested pos for Test tho? Was it test or something unknown?
It's not test that triggered a positive test; it's because his test:epitest ratio was off.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just find it ironic and silly that Belfort gets the shot. Here is a guy who tested positive a few years ago, and who, when under pressure in a fight has shown the ability to crumble like a house of cards.

Will people watch? Of course.....but Belfort is going to get crushed

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just find it ironic and silly that Belfort gets the shot. Here is a guy who tested positive a few years ago, and who, when under pressure in a fight has shown the ability to crumble like a house of cards.

Will people watch? Of course.....but Belfort is going to get crushed
It also depends which Anderson shows up. When Vitor starts to build confidence, he can end it fast. Plus, Anderson does not have the smothering top-game of Randy or Tito that breaks the spirit of Vitor.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It also depends which Anderson shows up. When Vitor starts to build confidence, he can end it fast. Plus, Anderson does not have the smothering top-game of Randy or Tito that breaks the spirit of Vitor.
true, but if I remember correctly (I might not) even in the Overeem fight over in Pride, he broke just from pressure more than anything else.

I do agree, Anderson is going to need to interested. So sad that it comes to that issue with him

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
true, but if I remember correctly (I might not) even in the Overeem fight over in Pride, he broke just from pressure more than anything else.

I do agree, Anderson is going to need to interested. So sad that it comes to that issue with him
Overeem had a great gameplan in that fight as he took it to the ground repeatedly and peppered Vitor and then locked in a guillotine with about 30 seconds remaining.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
dana white had a funny rant on MMAweekly about roids. Pretty much got a hint that a ton do it.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
By the way Sherk did not look that jacked on saturday. Dont give me any of that crap about cutting and watering up.

B

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I think its more of getting old and not weight lifting to get huge. Finally he wrestled better. had some nice slams but almost got caught.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I felt bad for Chael initially. Had he thorouhly fulfilled his 15 min of fame and faced Silva again let alone a win, he could have officilly solidified himself in that upper echelon of name marketability.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niners4reggie MMA 22
VolcomX311 MMA 4
poison MMA 96
bluehealer MMA 2
VolcomX311 MMA 1