James Toney talking mad smack!

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
been seeing some excerpts from James Toney and his training camp. damn. he is running his mouth, bashing RC and basically MMA as a whole as being inferior to boxing. granted, he's a solid guy, a knockout puncher, but show some class. meanwhile RC just taking it in stride.. staying calm, being respectful, and not being shy about his game plan about getting Toney on his back and taking care of biz. personally, i hope RC gets him on his back and releases a ground and pound that leaves Toney bloody and humiliated.... any thoughts?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Toney is a fat, shot heavyweight boxer. Thats all that needs to be said.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RC should win, if it was just a matter of exchanging hands, then game over Toney in a landslide. But this isn't his forum, and grappling isn't his area of expertise. RC shouldn't have an issue, unless Toney gets in a punch, then the lights are going out.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't tell if Toney is being serious or not. I think most of it is showmanship, but I do think he truly believes that he is the better athlete. Personally, I think he's a pretty likeable guy and find his antics to be entertaining and funny :D

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know it's highly unlikely, but I would love ot see James Toney pull out the upset. I'd be priceless.

Rustysballs

Awards
I'm with stxnas and sluggy on this one.Dudes entertaining.You can't take him to serious.It's like when he said after he knocks out Randy(if he does)he's going to knock out Dana.You think he is?Nope.I've seen plenty of clips of Toney with his fans and he seems pretty respectful and nice.

Randy is a huge favorite but sometimes upsets are so sweet.

Randy better watch out...even if Toney lands a short shot it could put him on "queer street".May the best man win!

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
He's hyping the fight. A sports publication recently reported he'll be making $750,000-$1M for this fight. Hope he fairs well in the fight. This is great for the sport, drawing in Boxing fans from all over the world similar like Lesnar does with wrestling fans. Boxing is huge worldwide and having accomplished boxers such as Toney involved is great to promote the sport.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
some great points guys. ya, i'm all about the pre-fight hype... boxing definitely needs some help. we will soon see!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know it's highly unlikely, but I would love ot see James Toney pull out the upset. I'd be priceless.
ahem. ;)

Toney might as well have laid down before the match started.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
he got his ass beat about as fast or maybe faster than i would.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, that was the whole reason I ordered that fight last night. What was it like 2 minutes into t he first. Man, Randy whooped his ass!!!!

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah it was hilarious too, Randy barely even touched his ankle and the dude fell down cmon I mean if anyone who wasnt punch drunk trained to defend takedowns from a wrestler for 9 months it would have at least looked a little harder for Randy to take him down like that. It was hilarious how he "tapped" shaking his hand at the ref. But ya know like Randy said props to Toney for actually stepping up and trying it out instead of just calling out MMA like the other boxers. Now I wonder how much Toney actually got paid to get his ass beat last night.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i think i would have lasted around 1 min longer tho. 9 months of training with no school or work.....come on now......

dropshot001

Awards
i think i would have lasted around 1 min longer tho. 9 months of training with no school or work.....come on now......
but you probably have never fought someone with the skill and experience of someone like randy

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hated this UFC, but that's a sorely subjective opinion due to the BJ Penn outcome. I was watching it at sports bar and left in the 3rd round of Penn/Edgar. I knew the outcome. Oh well.

Randy, no shocker. As soon as he nailed the TD, I knew it was game. Toney's only chance in a cold hell was to being able to connect in the opening few seconds or mins before Randy got the TD.

Nate Diaz, I was impressed. Maynard looked awesome, though I was rooting for Florian. Maynard/Edgar will be a good fight, only I don't care for either one of those fighters.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nate Diaz was sick, I was too, impressed

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nate Diaz was sick, I was too, impressed
I actually like the Diaz brothers and generally root for them. Nate looks better at his current division. He didn't look as lanky. I hope he stays where he's at, though I would rather see him as the lw champ then Franky or Maynard. However, I have a hard time seeing that happening.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It was funy when He stated that he wants to drop weight to fight those "wannabe" fighters...I laughed my a$$ off.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was funy when He stated that he wants to drop weight to fight those "wannabe" fighters...I laughed my a$$ off.
You can bring the Diaz brothers out of the hood, but you can't bring the hood out of the Diaz brothers. Those two guys kill me and they both seem to have SEVERE ADHD when being interviewed, whether it's post fight or at some random MMA convention. "Focus Nate, focus!"

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys think Nick will ever be back? He might have burned too many bridges...

Joe Lauzon looked like a beast. Too Fat had a snowball's chance in hell, lol.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I love the Diaz brothers. They grew on me. We need fire like that in the UFC and MMA or it would be boring. They know MMA very well so it doesnt mind me.

118 was pretty damn boring. no one I knew ordered it. i would ove to have Nick in the UFC again. Dana said he was open to the idea that they talked one time. He wants to prove he can hold his act together. The weed and after fight antics dont help him out. But I am sure if he wins his next 2 fights and contract is up sometime soon Dana will go after him hard. SF tried to make him the main event often.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You thought 118 was boring? I thought it was great! Did you watch the free pre-lims too?

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I thought most of it was good cept for the BJ Penn fight, which was only slightly less boring than the first one but not by much. I cant stand Frankie Edgar running in and popping 3 punches then running away and repeating, ill give it to him though that he took BJ down. Im mostly pissed at BJ though he just didnt attempt anything, he should have just started going ballistic when he knew he was down, should have started throwing those leg kicks earlier on too to slow that speedy little kid down. Frankie has 0 power and BJ just stood there for 5 rounds.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Penn looked awful
Maynard and Maia looked okay, but have looked better recently
Lauzon/Reudiger was a mismatch
Diaz looked good, but it wasn't very competitive

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BJ Penn needs a new camp and a new corner. Telling BJ how Franky ain't **** between rounds while BJ is getting dominated isn't the most tactical advise. His corner are a bunch of hype men, with no strategically helpful advise. Also, BJ needs to learn how to more effectively execute TD's and stop taking the Chuck Lidell approach to utilizing his ground, which was primarily for defensive purposes.

Nate Diaz was sadly, the best fight on the card. I like Nate, but everything else was stale. Maynard and Florian spent the entire 1st round feeling each other out and fought for 2 rounds. The Maia fight looked borderline rigged with how lifeless his opponent was, until he pulled out these magnificent escapes at the end of every sub attempt. Couture/Toney, what else was to be expected. The fight was truly over at 30 secs, when Randy landed the first TD. There was much to like about 118 unless you were an Edgar fan, in which case, I short changed in respect, but he definitely brought it.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i love how Nate first outboxed a boxer and then easily cranked the sub. it would be sick to see Nick come back to ufc. i dont see why not, they let gilbert yvel back and he is a bag of unsportsmanlike sh#t

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
BJ Penn needs a new camp and a new corner. Telling BJ how Franky ain't **** between rounds while BJ is getting dominated isn't the most tactical advise. His corner are a bunch of hype men, with no strategically helpful advise. Also, BJ needs to learn how to more effectively execute TD's and stop taking the Chuck Lidell approach to utilizing his ground, which was primarily for defensive purposes.

Nate Diaz was sadly, the best fight on the card. I like Nate, but everything else was stale. Maynard and Florian spent the entire 1st round feeling each other out and fought for 2 rounds. The Maia fight looked borderline rigged with how lifeless his opponent was, until he pulled out these magnificent escapes at the end of every sub attempt. Couture/Toney, what else was to be expected. The fight was truly over at 30 secs, when Randy landed the first TD. There was much to like about 118 unless you were an Edgar fan, in which case, I short changed in respect, but he definitely brought it.
Dude I was just talking about this today in my gym. He needs to step away from his family training. Ha maybe he should go train at freakin jacksons place in new mexico like everyother guy who loses a few fights and needs to re invent themselves hahahahaha. He does remind me of chuck when it comes to his camp thinking hes a god. Chuck and BJ dominated their times and BJ still has a LOT more fight left(chuck not so much) but changing a camp can be a great choice.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
i love how Nate first outboxed a boxer and then easily cranked the sub. it would be sick to see Nick come back to ufc. i dont see why not, they let gilbert yvel back and he is a bag of unsportsmanlike sh#t
Both Diaz brothers have that really weird style of boxing. Frank Shamrock said he didnt think it hurt at first then it started to really annoy then wear him down bad so the point he wasnt seeing great. those add up and are pretty productive. Nick Diaz once threw like 1000 punches in a fight or something.

Like I am sure you heard fuking Rogan say he had major problems with the distance. davis reminded me of sean sherk in this fight.

Nick will get in the UFC again unless he gets popped for something.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever seen the Nick Diaz/Robbie Lawler fight?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah ive seen all nicks fights, im a huge fan. that gogoplata was my computer background for a long time

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude I was just talking about this today in my gym. He needs to step away from his family training. Ha maybe he should go train at freakin jacksons place in new mexico like everyother guy who loses a few fights and needs to re invent themselves hahahahaha. He does remind me of chuck when it comes to his camp thinking hes a god. Chuck and BJ dominated their times and BJ still has a LOT more fight left(chuck not so much) but changing a camp can be a great choice.
Seriously. I'm guessing that at home, all he hears is, "you're the best BJ, you're the best, no one can touch you, you're the best....etc.." When he should be hearing, "you need to improve on this, this and this, your TD's are whack, take the game to the floor where you ought to have the advantage..." granted, BJ was never in a position (in his division) to need critical advise, but now is certainly the time. He doesn't need hype men now, he needs real corner men and people who see him as a fighter who needs to improve, not someone at the peak of his game (anymore). Also, I honestly think he'd benefit from going with Jackson or even Couture (even though Maynard is there).

I don't see where polishing his BJJ will be of any positive effect. He's already the best at it and he isn't an aggressive BJJ practioner like Maia or something. He only utilizes it if the fight should so happen to end up on the ground. He would benefit most from adding some good wrestling and TD's. His boxing style is great and can counter most fighters, but if you're like Frankie and hopping all over the place, he can't hone in and I don't think BJ is going to switch up his boxing style, so I think the best thing for him is to add wrestling and a strong TD.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah ive seen all nicks fights, im a huge fan. that gogoplata was my computer background for a long time
Nick Diaz and Karo Parysian was one of the most epic fights, it was like Henderson/Cerrone I, just crazy ground talent being displayed the entire time.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL I find that fight to be pretty hilarious.
I love the way Lawler got so irritated and frustrated in that fight. I can still picture his face after one of the times that Diaz tagged him, lol.

Nick Diaz and Karo Parysian was one of the most epic fights, it was like Henderson/Cerrone I, just crazy ground talent being displayed the entire time.
Speaking of Hendo, what about his fight with Bustamante? I remember that being a pretty good war...and it really goes without saying, Saku vs Newton :box:

Honorable mention: I think Rodja or Alexander told me watch this fight a few years ago, but Manhoef vs Cyborg for an all out slugfest.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
he is talking about Ben Henderson, not hendo. WEC

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh ****...I just saw Hendo and got excited, lol. My bad. Cerrone didn't click. No wonder!

I work the swing shift and have been up since about 830 last night. I guess it's time for bed, lol :ntome:

Seriously, I'm off to bed. This is like the third thread if ten minutes that I have F'd up in.

Sorry for that guys!

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established

The problem with Penn, what i hear, is that he is basically his own coach. So he never trains as hard as he needs to because it's ultimately up to him. He called over my BJJ instructor, Lucas Leite, before his last fight against George St. Pierre, along with many other experts, and he said that BJ only trained with them intermittantly.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem with Penn, what i hear, is that he is basically his own coach. So he never trains as hard as he needs to because it's ultimately up to him. He called over my BJJ instructor, Lucas Leite, before his last fight against George St. Pierre, along with many other experts, and he said that BJ only trained with them intermittantly.
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. It's sort of what I presumed, as far as BJ being his own coach, surrounded by praising hype men.

P.S. Just noticed your location. I work in Diamond Bar, off Sunset Crossing in the Washington Mutual building.

Last edited:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...the "advice" his cornermen gave him between rounds somewhat lends credence to this as well.