UFC 117

mh625

Awards
I thought we should start yappin about this one. We have a pretty stacked card for ufc 117. Silva vs Sonnen, Jon Fitch vs Alves, Guida vs Dos Anjos, Hughes vs Almeida, and JDS vs Big Country Roy Nelson. I personally think Sonnen might give Silva a little bit of trouble, Sonnen is a really tough guy that controls from the top I guess we'll have to see if he gets Silva down. Now with that said probably the best fight on the card Fitch and Alves I'll be rooting for Fitch but I really cant call it. JDS and Big Country I think this will be a really good test for JDS I know Nelson is fat but he is a pretty solid fighter and I'm excited to see how that one turns out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately, I'll have to check this one out at a bar, but I'm still looking forward to it. The Hughes fight will probably be boring (as most have been lately), but the rest of it looks solid. I'm glad Phil Davis is fighting now, too.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sonnen/Silva and JDS/Big Country are the most interesting fights for me. As much as I want Sonnen to shut Silva down, I don't see it happening. Sonnen has great TD's, true, but he has to get close enough to execute and getting inside of Anderson's strike zone may prove to be an issue. We'll see.

I don't know who to root for between JDS and Roy. I like them both for different reasons, just not sure which reason carries more umph with me. I'm favoring JDS for the win.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was about to say.

Winner of JDS / Big Country is REALLY gonna solidify himself in the division. Granted people don't give Big Country much thanks to his physique, but he is legitimate. If JDS beats him then he places himself up there with the top. And then again, if Roy wins, well, then he just beat one of the biggest upcoming fighters.

Awesome fight, just awesome. I do give it to JDS with a surprise knockout on the 2nd round. I think Roy will take the 1st round but get caught on the 2nd.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really would like to see Roy take it. DW already said the winner ofthis gets the winner of Brock/Cain.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, I'll have to check this one out at a bar, but I'm still looking forward to it. The Hughes fight will probably be boring (as most have been lately), but the rest of it looks solid. I'm glad Phil Davis is fighting now, too.
True he is old as balls though, cant expect too much, plus I dont think the Serra fight was too bad (ok it was kinda bad) but ive been a Hughes fan since back in the day when he was a beast... Who is he fighting anyway?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True he is old as balls though, cant expect too much, plus I dont think the Serra fight was too bad (ok it was kinda bad) but ive been a Hughes fan since back in the day when he was a beast... Who is he fighting anyway?
Ricardo Almeida and Hughes isn't that old; he just hasn't evolved since he was the top WW.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Ricardo Almeida and Hughes isn't that old; he just hasn't evolved since he was the top WW.
That is true, he still has no stand up, and what once considered one of the most fierce ground and pound isnt even that dominant anymore.. But he has got to be pushing 35 isnt he? And yeah, against almeida probably just another boring fight.. Dont see hughes winning honestly...

Sweekaters

Awards
Silva vs. Sonnen is the only matchup where I've ever rooted for a fighter to lay and pray for five rounds to a decision victory. I really hope Sonnen can pull it off, but I really don't see it happening.

mh625

Awards
Well on the Hughes fight I think his last fight with Renzo Gracie he showed he was at least attempting to evolve he landed alot of leg kicks true he didn't look good but I think a lot of the fighters had a problem there with the humidity and it being outdoors. I'm going out on a limb but I see Sonnen taking down Silva and for Silva to win the fight he will have to do it with ju jitsu which we havent seen in a long time. I see JDS beating Nelson only because I dont see Nelson knocking JDS out I think JDS has a decent chin he has fought some good strikers like Kongo. The most exciting fight of the night though will be Fitch and Alves I think that one will be a barn burner.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well on the Hughes fight I think his last fight with Renzo Gracie he showed he was at least attempting to evolve he landed alot of leg kicks true he didn't look good but I think a lot of the fighters had a problem there with the humidity and it being outdoors. I'm going out on a limb but I see Sonnen taking down Silva and for Silva to win the fight he will have to do it with ju jitsu which we havent seen in a long time. I see JDS beating Nelson only because I dont see Nelson knocking JDS out I think JDS has a decent chin he has fought some good strikers like Kongo. The most exciting fight of the night though will be Fitch and Alves I think that one will be a barn burner.
JDS had never fought Kongo. JDS hasn't really fought a currently-great striker (CC and Yvel are years past their respective primes), but I agree that his technical abilities are much better. However, on the ground, Nelson has a huge advantage and he should look to take it there.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I think this is the card to make up for A. Silvas previous embarrassments. Dana White re A. Silva/Maia fight "I'm going to make it up to the fans."

dropshot001

Awards
I think this is the card to make up for A. Silvas previous embarrassments. Dana White re A. Silva/Maia fight "I'm going to make it up to the fans."
well, he had to defend his title at some point....i think that chael was just next in line. i wish belfort wasn't injured and that he was fighting though.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, he had to defend his title at some point....i think that chael was just next in line. i wish belfort wasn't injured and that he was fighting though.
Seriously, when Belfort was reported injured, it effing sucked.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't understand why any of you guys are rooting for Sonnen?

Wrestling is the most boring **** I've ever seen in my life. I hope Silva rips Sonnen's arm off and knocks him out with it. And then dances around over his bloody, unconscious, severed body.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Wrestling is the most boring **** I've ever seen in my life. I hope Silva rips Sonnen's arm off and knocks him out with it. And then dances around over his bloody, unconscious, severed body.
I think there are actually less people rooting for Chael Sonnen to win, as much as there are people simply rooting for Anderson to lose, and whomever that person that's going to defeat Anderson will be the current super-hero and Chael happens to be that hero at the moment.

mh625

Awards
My bad you were right about Kongo I was thinking of the Cain Valasquez vs Kongo fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I contend that grappling is the most technical/difficult part of MMA. It takes not a only a great athlete to become a great grappler, but also requires a hell of a gas tank.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
why isnt their more talk about this event.. I think its a very solid card

Silva vs Sonnen
Fitch vs Alves
Hughes vs Almeida
Nelson vs JDS

I am pretty excited about every fight on the main card, I can see how the Hughes/Almeida fight could be boring to most, but im a long time Hughes fan so im looking forward to it..
this is the first event i am actually going to watch live since ufc 100 i believe.. Granted i still ended up watching all the others but they werent live (dont look up the results and just netflix them or a guy at work usually has them on a flashdrive)

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
Matt Hughes bothers me with his lack of KO power. His stikes now days just look weakly thrown.

Im rootin for Sonnen and think hes going to win. But I have a feeling Silva jsut might unleash himself and then do something and say something really stupid after.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Wudog MMA 2
VolcomX311 MMA 4