FEDOR VS OVEREEM IN THE WORKS-WERUM SURGERY!

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Risky Fight for Fedor. Overeem is largely unknown to mainstreem MMA fans. Yet, Overeem is Fedors most dangerous opponent yet! If Fedor loses, he lost to an obscure fighter and tarnishes his reputation further. If he wins, no big deal, mainstream won't notice..... Over WHO? Man he has a lot to lose on this fight. He's going to need this win or bye bye reputation.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Overeem will stop Fedor in under 2 minutes if this fight happens. Overeem has been chomping at the bit to get this fight for a year.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
You really are trying to say his reputation is on the line over this fight?

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
You really are trying to say his reputation is on the line over this fight?

Most definitely! Most don't know who Overeem is. Many who do, say he lost so many times at LHW, lost to Liddel, lost to Werdum etc. Ultimately, he needs to beat Overeem & Werdum convincingly to regain the mystique.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We'll see if it actually goes down. M1 may deem Overeem too dangerous for Fedor, seriously, who knows. I'd love to see this fight, but M1 is a shady group.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We'll see if it actually goes down. M1 may deem Overeem too dangerous for Fedor, seriously, who knows. I'd love to see this fight, but M1 is a shady group.
couldnt agree more

SamuraiSid

Awards
Wow! Risky Fight for Fedor. Overeem is largely unknown to mainstreem MMA fans. Yet, Overeem is Fedors most dangerous opponent yet! If Fedor loses, he lost to an obscure fighter and tarnishes his reputation further. If he wins, no big deal, mainstream won't notice..... Over WHO? Man he has a lot to lose on this fight. He's going to need this win or bye bye reputation.
I couldnt disagree with you more.

I dont think that a fighters reputation stands on his most recent fights. Fedor dominated pride and has defeated a lot of good fighters with ease. Regardless of whether or not you think he is/was best HW, P4P, and whether or not he ever wins another fight, he will go down in history as one of the greats.

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I remember Overeem when he was a lean light heavyweight, feels like ages ago that he lost to Chuck. That was also 50 pounds of muscle ago.

mh625

Awards
I think most people know who Overeem is now and he is a much better fighter now than he ever was at LHW. I can't really say how tough of a fight this is for Fedor. He suprises me against opponents that I think have a good chance at beating him. I mean I thought Arlovski was clearly the better striker when they fought but we all know fedor KO'd him so I dont know I hope the fight happens I would love to see it.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I think most people know who Overeem is now and he is a much better fighter now than he ever was at LHW. I can't really say how tough of a fight this is for Fedor. He suprises me against opponents that I think have a good chance at beating him. I mean I thought Arlovski was clearly the better striker when they fought but we all know fedor KO'd him so I dont know I hope the fight happens I would love to see it.
I talk MMA all the time at the office, with clients etc. True MMA fans know Overeem, but mainstreet have no clue. Most knever heard of Fedor as well! The Majority know who Lesnar is however. My take is about Fedor's Marketability drops way down should he lose to Overeem. One loss and already many who've heard of him no longer consider him the best or #1.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd love to see this fight!

Then the winner goes on to fight Lesnar... siiiick

Texan281

Awards
I remember Overeem when he was a lean light heavyweight, feels like ages ago that he lost to Chuck. That was also 50 pounds of muscle ago.
You mean before he started taking roids?

Kegger

Awards
You mean before he started taking roids?
Well he tested clean in his last fight against Rogers recently. One thing is for sure though.....the horse population in Holland has been in decline the last few years or so.

Texan281

Awards
Yeah he may have "tested" clean but Im not buying he never touched roids

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, I'm almost 100% certain he was mostly on Gakic & Anabolic Halo. Not to mention a steady helping of Hydroxycut Hardcore to cut. That thickness is signature CellTech, forget roids.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly, who the hell has Overeem beaten at HW? That's my main thing with all of the Overeem hype. Yes, he has a very impressive physique, but he's always had a suspect chin and cardio issues.

Texan281

Awards
Honestly, who the hell has Overeem beaten at HW? That's my main thing with all of the Overeem hype. Yes, he has a very impressive physique, but he's always had a suspect chin and cardio issues.
Brett Rodgers? He's considered top-tier heavyweight talent

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
That's a legitimate criticism, but since he's bulked up he has steamrolled everyone, and is a K1 level striker. He made Fedor's win (Fedor BTW, who the hell has he beaten recently?) over Rogers look paltry and unimpressive.

Texan281

Awards
OK so Rodgers isn't elite. He's a one-dimensional powerful striker and a very marketable fighter who's only two losses include Fedor and Overeem.

BamaDog

BamaDog

Awards
That guy has to be the scariest looking dude on the planet. All I can think about is when he landed that knee to the Japanese guy's face and put him to sleep, it was SIIIICKKK.

I say he beats Fedor in the first.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
overeem will crush fedor.... this is a bad fight for fedor.. it will likely be the end to a good career... fedor may just catch an uberknee!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overeem is by far the best HW technical striker in MMA. However, it's his heart that I really question. Watch his fight against Rog Nog, Arona, and Kharitonov II and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's his record at HW:
Win Brett Rogers TKO (Punches) 1 3:40
Win Kazuyuki Fujita KO (Knee) 12/31/2009 1 1:15
Win James Thompson Submission (Guillotine Choke) 10/25/2009 1 0:33
Win Tony Sylvester Submission (Guillotine Choke) 10/17/2009 1 1:23
Win Gary Goodridge Submission (Kimura) 1 1:47
NC Mirko Filipovic No Contest (Knee to the Groin) 9/23/2008 1 N/A
Win Mark Hunt Submission (Keylock) 1 1:11
Win Tae Hyun Lee KO (Punches) 6/15/2008 1 0:36
Win Paul Buentello Submission (Knees to the Body) 2 3:42
Loss Sergei Kharitonov KO (Punch) 9/17/2007 1 4:21
Win Michael Knaap Submission (Guillotine Choke) 1 3:29
Loss Fabricio Werdum Submission (Kimura) 2 3:43
Win Sergei Kharitonov TKO (Knees) 1 5:13

Not the most impressive run and certainly not an elite level of competition.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Its good to see that the tards still linger. Be back in a year or so.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overeem is by far the best HW technical striker in MMA. However, it's his heart that I really question. Watch his fight against Rog Nog, Arona, and Kharitonov II and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's his record at HW:
Win Brett Rogers TKO (Punches) 1 3:40
Win Kazuyuki Fujita KO (Knee) 12/31/2009 1 1:15
Win James Thompson Submission (Guillotine Choke) 10/25/2009 1 0:33
Win Tony Sylvester Submission (Guillotine Choke) 10/17/2009 1 1:23
Win Gary Goodridge Submission (Kimura) 1 1:47
NC Mirko Filipovic No Contest (Knee to the Groin) 9/23/2008 1 N/A
Win Mark Hunt Submission (Keylock) 1 1:11
Win Tae Hyun Lee KO (Punches) 6/15/2008 1 0:36
Win Paul Buentello Submission (Knees to the Body) 2 3:42
Loss Sergei Kharitonov KO (Punch) 9/17/2007 1 4:21
Win Michael Knaap Submission (Guillotine Choke) 1 3:29
Loss Fabricio Werdum Submission (Kimura) 2 3:43
Win Sergei Kharitonov TKO (Knees) 1 5:13

Not the most impressive run and certainly not an elite level of competition.
I would agree. Not impressive at all. However, Fedor's recent resume is lacking also. That is not to take away from earlier years of Fedor's career, but recently he has been anything but impressive.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would agree. Not impressive at all. However, Fedor's recent resume is lacking also. That is not to take away from earlier years of Fedor's career, but recently he has been anything but impressive.
I'd still say that wins over Sylvia, AA, and Rogers are quality wins. I just don't get how Overeem beating Rogers gets such high praise, yet Fedor gets ridiculed for it. I'm still a little skeptical of many of the UFC HWs. I've always said Mir is horribly, horribly overrated with no heart and no gas tank. Nog is about 5 years past his prime. CC hasn't been CC since '06. Carwin's biggest win is against Mir and Brock's biggest wins are against Mir and Carwin.

Like it or not, the UFC hype-machine does play a role in the perception of their fighters. Honestly, I really think that JDS is the best of the UFC HW talent, but that will play itself out in the future.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think the Sylvia and AA wins are all that impressive. I think the difference in the Rogers victories is the manner in which both won. Fedor was in slight trouble, where Overeem was in total control.

In terms of UFC hws I still think Brock is and will be the most dominant. He proved his chin and is so freakishly strong and athletic it is kind of scary where he could have gone had he trained 10 years earlier.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think the Sylvia and AA wins are all that impressive. I think the difference in the Rogers victories is the manner in which both won. Fedor was in slight trouble, where Overeem was in total control.

In terms of UFC hws I still think Brock is and will be the most dominant. He proved his chin and is so freakishly strong and athletic it is kind of scary where he could have gone had he trained 10 years earlier.
That's a tad ironic since the only reason Rogers is known is because he beat AA.

The Carwin fight showed a major, major flaw in Brock (which I always suspected): he runs away from contact.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a tad ironic since the only reason Rogers is known is because he beat AA.

The Carwin fight showed a major, major flaw in Brock (which I always suspected): he runs away from contact.
I understand what you are saying. I dont think the Rogers victory is that valuable for either to be honest. I just think that Fedor's struggles were indicative of where he is at this point in his career. 5-6 years ago, Rogers doesnt make it out of the first round with him IMO.

I somewhat disagree about Brock. He took some decent shots from Carwin, who has finished everyone. Then was able to finish the fight (granted Carwin was gas/cramped whatever)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My reservations toward Fedor had less to do with his actual talent and more to do with who's handling his career, however, at this point, the two are becoming synonymous and calling him the current best, based heavily on retrospect is losing ground for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand what you are saying. I dont think the Rogers victory is that valuable for either to be honest. I just think that Fedor's struggles were indicative of where he is at this point in his career. 5-6 years ago, Rogers doesnt make it out of the first round with him IMO.

I somewhat disagree about Brock. He took some decent shots from Carwin, who has finished everyone. Then was able to finish the fight (granted Carwin was gas/cramped whatever)
That was also Fedor's first fight in a cage. The tactics in a cage and a ring are very different.

As soon as Carwin landed, Brock started to turtle up. Carwin has tremendous power, but never landed a clean shot and his punches are slow. JDS and Fedor have much faster hands and neither would gas out in a round. I was impressed by Brock's mettle, but not by his performance.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As dominate as Brock is painted to be, I think the HW division is the most belt threatening division in MMA.

I think JDS, Cain and Carwin all have a good chance at taking the belt. Even after the Carwin defeat, I still feel Carwin has a great chance against Brock. It's hard to imagine Brock or any HW "dominating" the division, Lyoto, Anderson, GSP, Penn style.

Also, I'm not saying Overeem is a superior pick to Fedor, talent for talent wise, just that as long as M1 keeps trying to bargain the Fedor product to the UFC like it's year 2000. It's been a long road from hope to apathy in regards to Fedor and the UFC.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
after seeing brock larson fight fight carwin.. im pretty sure any smart striker would be able to technically out strike him with no problem... overeem would murder him he could not run from overeem like he did carwin... jds.. fedor.. velasquez..all would choose shots and not blow there load like carwin did.. maybe even advance position on him who knows.. it is mmA

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
you bring up a good point. overeem is a much more technical striker and he got his weight up. brock wouldnt be able to hit him much standing up so thats not a concern. the only thing is avoiding the TD....

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you bring up a good point. overeem is a much more technical striker and he got his weight up. brock wouldnt be able to hit him much standing up so thats not a concern. the only thing is avoiding the TD....
exactly, should Overeem ever fight Cain/Brock/Carwin he would need to be very careful of the TD. However, if he was able to keep it on his feet, he could ko the bunch of them

Awards
I kind of feelm the same way about Fedor and Carwin's last fights.Fedor was a little overconfident and was suffering from not facing top talent recently. I believe if or when he faces Wedum again Fedor will win.

Carwin I think was also overconfident and had not worked on his endurance or pacing himself enough.In the first round he had no problem stuffing Brock's takedowns or getting right back up again.What happened in the second round would not have happened in the first.Carwin was totally different fighter in the second.If he works on endurance and pacing himself i think he would win a rematch.

I think both greatly benifitted from thier losses in the long run.I think Fedor will take Overeem to the ground and pound or submit him.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kind of feelm the same way about Fedor and Carwin's last fights.Fedor was a little overconfident and was suffering from not facing top talent recently. I believe if or when he faces Wedum again Fedor will win.

Carwin I think was also overconfident and had not worked on his endurance or pacing himself enough.In the first round he had no problem stuffing Brock's takedowns or getting right back up again.What happened in the second round would not have happened in the first.Carwin was totally different fighter in the second.If he works on endurance and pacing himself i think he would win a rematch.

I think both greatly benifitted from thier losses in the long run.
Agree Fedor would win a rematch, disagree Carwin was over-confident. He simply over-committed to finishing Brock, but justifiably so, as Brock was in a precarious position and most people would have been TKO'd. Brock luckily or through heart survived and capitalized on Carwin's window of sheer fatigue.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree Fedor would win a rematch, disagree Carwin was over-confident. He simply over-committed to finishing Brock, but justifiably so, as Brock was in a precarious position and most people would have been TKO'd. Brock luckily or through heart survived and capitalized on Carwin's window of sheer fatigue.
Carwin punched himself out of that fight. He essentially was sprinting for 3 minutes straight. He would have been much wiser to hop into half-guard and then work GnP or move to side mount.

BamaDog

BamaDog

Awards
I completely agree, Lesner's boxing is crap, Carwin would completely dominate in a rematch, Carwin basically let him have half guard and the submission, didn't even defend it.

They might as well go ahead and rematch, no one else is beating him that is currently in the UFC. I like Cane V. but I don't think he is ready for Brock yet.