Evans vs Jackson

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    How can you say that with a straight face with James Toney now in the talent pool

Love Toney... What a career that guy has had.

2. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberLakers View Post
    I have seen him fight... Would agree that he is one of the best in the sport of MMA.

Its not necessarily a BAD thing that none of the MMA guys can't box... because as you point out - only certain aspects of boxing are valuable in MMA (most notably kinetic leverage, feinting, head movement, etc)... but the stance is garbage - as is the defense (for the most part)...

But of course the announcers will have you believe that guys like BJ Penn and Nate Diaz are "world class boxers" which makes me f*cking ... In a pure boxing match, those guys would get cleaned out by most mid level prospects.

Before the MMA hordes start beaning on me - I'm also of the opinion that most boxers would get housed in an MMA contest as well.. It's just completely different games.

Mullet... quit teasing me with your nutrient timing stuff and come give me a lesson on my thread. I'm tired of being fat.
    PM me your e-mail address!
  3. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I have seen him fight... Would agree that he is one of the best in the sport of MMA.

Its not necessarily a BAD thing that none of the MMA guys can't box... because as you point out - only certain aspects of boxing are valuable in MMA (most notably kinetic leverage, feinting, head movement, etc)... but the stance is garbage - as is the defense (for the most part)...

But of course the announcers will have you believe that guys like BJ Penn and Nate Diaz are "world class boxers" which makes me f*cking ... In a pure boxing match, those guys would get cleaned out by most mid level prospects.

Before the MMA hordes start beaning on me - I'm also of the opinion that most boxers would get housed in an MMA contest as well.. It's just completely different games.

Mullet... quit teasing me with your nutrient timing stuff and come give me a lesson on my thread. I'm tired of being fat.
    I have heard Joe Rogan say that as well. But, keep in mind, he has also called Matt Hammil a world-class wrestler.

And to validate your point, there is actually a video of A. Silva sparring at Freddie Roach's gym, and the awkwardness of his boxing is really shown against a more technically sound opponent, who is also unknown.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Freddie Roach, who has forgotten more about boxing than any of us will ever know, has praised both BJ and Anderson Silva's boxing. At first, he had a low opinion of Andy because of his performance in his gym, but he changed his stance after realizing he is not a "gym fighter."

Also, Rog Nog has the best boxing in MMA. His years of training with the Cubans, easily the most technical boxers in the world, as well as his success in the Pan-Am games give him an impressive resume. He's the only fighter I've ever seen "tool" Dan Henderson in a fight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Freddie Roach, who has forgotten more about boxing than any of us will ever know, has praised both BJ and Anderson Silva's boxing. At first, he had a low opinion of Andy because of his performance in his gym, but he changed his stance after realizing he is not a "gym fighter."

Also, Rog Nog has the best boxing in MMA. His years of training with the Cubans, easily the most technical boxers in the world, as well as his success in the Pan-Am games give him an impressive resume. He's the only fighter I've ever seen "tool" Dan Henderson in a fight.
    Personally, I would place JDS above Rog Nog in terms of both defense and offense. Rog Nog is obviously no slouch, though, being both a Brazilian national champion and placing 3rd at the Pan Ams.

With that being said, however, JDS' recent emergence and the buzz surrounding the Brazilian national boxing team is that he has the potential to medal in the Olympics.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Freddie Roach also has a vested interest in pimping Silva... i.e. training him once Silva gets even more bored with MMA than he already is. 10%... throw it in the bag money.

Roach also said the same thing about Arlovsky, who got KTFO with a single (boxing) punch from Brett Rodgers (who also can't box for sh*t)... Roach has maybe 2 more years to train before his body completely shuts down. He's gotta get that paper.

Not to say Silva is a BAD boxer... but he still would get dominated by a boxing prospect... Would last maybe 2 rounds with one of the Andre's (Ward, Dirrell)...
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

And Freddie Roach called BJ the best striker in MMA which was important to remember, and that was immediately before he was thoroughly out-boxed by GSP. I take his comments with a grain of salt, in that regard.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    And Freddie Roach called BJ the best striker in MMA which was important to remember, and that was immediately before he was thoroughly out-boxed by GSP. I take his comments with a grain of salt, in that regard.
    Leave BJ out of this
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Freddie Roach also has a vested interest in pimping Silva... i.e. training him once Silva gets even more bored with MMA than he already is. 10%... throw it in the bag money.

Roach also said the same thing about Arlovsky, who got KTFO with a single (boxing) punch from Brett Rodgers (who also can't box for sh*t)... Roach has maybe 2 more years to train before his body completely shuts down. He's gotta get that paper.

Not to say Silva is a BAD boxer... but he still would get dominated by a boxing prospect... Would last maybe 2 rounds with one of the Andre's (Ward, Dirrell)...
    AA's problem is the chin and between the ears. He's looked amazing and like a B-level fighter depending on his confidence.

I'm also not saying that Andy could be a legit force in boxing; I'm merely stating what has been said about his boxing skills. The difference between his boxing is that he understands and develops his range.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Right, and now he's training GSP.

Roach has a great resume of fighters he's worked with after they've made it big (Tyson, B-Hop, Oscar, Moorer, IV, etc.)... but the only guys he's brought up (off the top of my head) is Pac Man and Khan.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

AA's problem is the chin and between the ears. He's looked amazing and like a B-level fighter depending on his confidence.

I'm also not saying that Andy could be a legit force in boxing; I'm merely stating what has been said about his boxing skills. The difference between his boxing is that he understands and develops his range.
    Right, and your point is well received... All I'm saying is that there is a huge difference between looking like a good boxer in a cage - and looking like one in a ring.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by iron fists View Post
    what about vitor belfort??? and its not always the striking aspect that makes one fighter a better boxer than the other..its the footwork and the angles they use...lil nog can box well but his footwork did not show that in his fight with brillz...anderson maybe awkward but his footwork is very technically sound...jds has great hand speed for a hw but leaves his hands down and swings from his waist....bj has great hand speed as well, but was out boxed by frankie edgar...arlovski moves good but he only moves back and forth and leaves his hands down as well and thats how he got picked apart by bigfoot..and actually cains boxing looked sharp and crips vs big nog...but theses are just my two cents..we all have our favorites and our own opinion about who is better boxer and why.
    I agree with just about everything short of Frankie Edgar out boxing Bj Penn. I think Frankie Edgar out worked BJ. Frankie did more with his foot work, body movement and circling of the octagon, while Bj stood and countered (successfully) for the most part.

I think Frankie certainly did his share of damage, but what gave him the edge in the judges eyes was that a lot of his activity, was perceived as damage inflicted.

If you disagree, that's fine, this is old news so there's no point in debating it. This was just my 2 cents.
    NSCA - CSCS
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  188 lbs.

This fight dissapointed me I was really wanting to see a KO and not a decision .. Excited to see silva vs sonnen
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
  2. UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva
    By Jessep76 in forum MMA
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. Rashad Evans has Gyno
    By Tansui in forum MMA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM