Big Country vs JDS; UFC 117

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) won't be tussling with Cheick Kongo after all.

Kongo (15-6-1 MMA, 8-4 UFC) has withdrawn from a rumored meeting with Nelson at UFC 116 due to a back injury, according to multiple reports. In his place, the UFC has slotted a surprising replacement: Junior Dos Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

According to MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) sources close to the event, at least one fighter has agreed to the contest, now targeted for the main card of UFC 117, with the intention to sign a bout agreement.

UFC 117 takes place Aug. 7 at EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City. A middleweight title match between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen is expected to headline.

Nelson, 33, racked up his second consecutive octagon victory with a shellacking of 6-foot-11 Stefan Struve at UFC on Versus 1 in March. The winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" bucked most predictions by quickly getting inside on Struve and knocking him out with a right hand in just 33 seconds.

Previously, Nelson completed a decisive, yet controversial, sweep of the "TUF 10" heavyweights with a first-round knockout of Brendan Schaub in the show's finale. UFC president Dana White criticized his tactical approach to his fights on the show, and despite some initial push-back with the outspoken UFC figurehead, he later told MMAjunkie.com that he is now a "company man."

The 25-year-old Dos Santos fought alongside Nelson at UFC on Versus 1 and delivered his fifth consecutive stoppage victory when he knocked out former contender Gabriel Gonzaga in less than four minutes. The victory put the up-and-comer on many observers' lists as a serious contender in the division, which could make the fight with Nelson all the more pivotal.

The only man to make it out of the first round with Dos Santos is former PRIDE champion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, who verbally submitted to the Brazilian in the third round after being battered for more than two rounds.

Dos Santos also owns a first-round knockout victory over Struve, which took place at UFC 95 this past February.
Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos in the works for UFC 117 main card | MMAjunkie.com

Wow, Roy is certainly not afraid to aim high. Roy may have some legit BJJ, but I don't see JDS letting him get that close.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Damn nobody commented on this one yet ? I'll happily throw in a couple o pennies on the subject because I am def looking foward this .
Interesting matchup for Roy in particular as he stands to gain/lose the most of the two . If he wins it will derail the destructive freight train that is Junior Dos Santos and propel himself inarguably into the title mix . If he loses everyone will say how he has always been mid-tier at best and can't hang with the big boys of the UFC . Also I am pretty sure Dana doesn't care for him very much and worst case scenario , the brass can legally cut you after a loss .
For Cigano if he loses , it will **** up his wonderful momentum but he has looooooots of fans ,a great training camp , and a good standing with management so you know he won't get cut or fizzle out . If he wins , he's not much closer to a title shot than he is now . I say that for the sheer fact that in the current state of the HW div. , it is hard to get any closer than he currently is . Carwin/Lesnar , Cain gets the winner , Mir coming off a loss , Cro Cop/Barry tomorrow , Kongo and Big Nog .... I think that says it .
All this being said I'll bet dollars to pesos that Junior is going to sprawl n brawl then lite this fool up like a Christmas tree . Think Arlovski/Nelson only without the takedowns and an even worse ending for Roy :)
All in all - so long Big country and thanksfor the mammaries !

Vtaper

Awards
Damn nobody commented on this one yet ? I'll happily throw in a couple o pennies on the subject because I am def looking foward this .
Interesting matchup for Roy in particular as he stands to gain/lose the most of the two . If he wins it will derail the destructive freight train that is Junior Dos Santos and propel himself inarguably into the title mix . If he loses everyone will say how he has always been mid-tier at best and can't hang with the big boys of the UFC . Also I am pretty sure Dana doesn't care for him very much and worst case scenario , the brass can legally cut you after a loss .
For Cigano if he loses , it will **** up his wonderful momentum but he has looooooots of fans ,a great training camp , and a good standing with management so you know he won't get cut or fizzle out . If he wins , he's not much closer to a title shot than he is now . I say that for the sheer fact that in the current state of the HW div. , it is hard to get any closer than he currently is . Carwin/Lesnar , Cain gets the winner , Mir coming off a loss , Cro Cop/Barry tomorrow , Kongo and Big Nog .... I think that says it .
All this being said I'll bet dollars to pesos that Junior is going to sprawl n brawl then lite this fool up like a Christmas tree . Think Arlovski/Nelson only without the takedowns and an even worse ending for Roy :)
All in all - so long Big country and thanksfor the mammaries !
Totaly agreed, Roy has definatly got power but JDS is too fast/responsive to get caught by Nelson. But after watching Todd Duffy's last fight I will always remind myself, "It aint over till its over."

BTW, does anyone know if Cain Valasquez vs. Lesnar/Carwin winner is official, or is it still a rumor?

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Totaly agreed, Roy has definatly got power but JDS is too fast/responsive to get caught by Nelson. But after watching Todd Duffy's last fight I will always remind myself, "It aint over till its over."

BTW, does anyone know if Cain Valasquez vs. Lesnar/Carwin winner is official, or is it still a rumor?
No sh!t that Duffee fight was crazy !! It crushed any hope I had of speculating on a Duffee/JDS matchup in the near future . However Todd is young , talented and a hard worker . Bet we see him around for a while . Maybe I'll get my hopes back up sometime in2011 :sad3:
As far as Cain's title shot , I think it is as official as Dana saying it is a lock . But we all know how that can turn out . Also I don't think anyone will be signing for it until we see if the winner of Carwin/Lesnar comes out intact . If the winner gets sidelined due to injury for an extended amount of time I could see Cain getting the loser (if healthy ) or just some other fight ( Mir maybe?) instead of leaving him on the shelf .

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Roy's only chance is a hail Mary, swing from the barnyards KO. I think JDS is too quick for Roy to TD and there's no question as to who has the superior stand up.

JDS wins by all intellectual reasoning or Roy wins via Todd Duffee vs Mike Russow, out the effing blue, against all things natural KO.