Nogueria Calls for Rematch with Frank Mir

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira may be coming off the most devastating loss of his career after UFC heavyweight contender Cain Velasquez scored a first-round knockout over him at UFC 110, but the former champ isn't ready to hang up the gloves just yet.

In a recent interview with Tatame, Nogueira weighed in on his future with the UFC and said he's eager to get another crack at fellow former heavyweight champ Frank Mir, who defeated him via a decisive second-round TKO at UFC 92.

"I'd love a rematch against Mir, it is a fight I would like to do again," said Nogueira. "It would be a good fight, he is a high level athlete. I want it, for sure."

When you consider where both men are in their fighting careers, it's a bout that actually makes a lot of sense.

With Mir coming off a knockout loss to Shane Carwin and Nogueira struggling to stay relevant in the UFC's heavyweight class, a second fight between the two might go a long way toward determining which of the former champs has the brighter future.

It wasn't all that long ago that Nogueira was known as the man who simply couldn't be knocked out, no matter how much punishment he absorbed. But beginning with the loss to Mir, which many in the MMA world blamed on a staph infection that had plagued the Brazilian prior to the bout, Nogueira has recently looked far more mortal in the cage.

Since neither man is anywhere close the challenging for the title again, what better way to let them each try and prove that they're still top ten heavyweights by matching them up together one more time?

Nogueira obviously wants a chance to avenge the loss. Something tells me Mir probably wouldn't mind an opportunity to show all the naysayers that his first win over "Minotauro" wasn't simply the result of catching him on a bad night.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Calls for Rematch With Frank Mir -- MMA Fighting

Don't know about this one.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
oh i hope it doesnt go down. i love Nog and i dont wanna see him get dropped again. Mir has gotten wayyy too big and his hands look good. Dont do it Nog!! Find a smaller guy to fight that you can grapple with and pull out a survival last minute triangle!!!