Randy Couture vs. James Toney targeted for August's UFC 118 in Boston

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In a match likely to re-ignite the "boxing vs. MMA" debate, a bout between 10-time UFC champion Randy Couture (18-10 MMA, 15-7 UFC) and former boxing champion James Toney (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is targeted for the UFC's first trip to Boston.

Fighters Only was the first to report the possibility of the pairing, and MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) today confirmed that while the matchup is far from official, it's in the works for a headlining spot at the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at the TD Garden in Boston. Two high-profile lightweight fights are currently on tap for the Northeast event: newly minted champion Frankie Edgar fights the man he deposed for the belt, B.J. Penn, in an immediate rematch of their recent UFC 112 bout, and two-time contender Kenny Florian faces standout Gray Maynard.

The weight limit of Couture vs. Toney is currently undetermined. Couture is now two fights into a second stint as a light heavyweight, while Toney is primarily regarded as a heavyweight in the boxing world.

The position of Couture vs. Toney on UFC 118's card is also unknown at this time, though sources close to the event say it will likely take a headline or co-headline slot.

Toney, 41, won a UFC contract in early March after a protracted trash-talk campaign against UFC president Dana White and several mixed martial arts fighters. The former boxing champion sought the guidance of boxing and MMA coach Juanito Ibarra and at several points welcomed a fight with Couture (though he called out virtually every MMA star he could name).

Toney is currently training with Ibarra in Southern California as he prepares for his MMA debut.

Couture, 46, railroaded fellow UFC Hall of Fame member Mark Coleman in his most recent performance at UFC 109. The win shook off controversy that lingered after his prior appearance, a close decision victory over Brandon Vera at UFC 105 this past November, and put him on track for a shot at the 205-pound title.

When Toney signed, however, Couture expressed an immediate interest in welcoming the boxer to MMA.

Couture lost his heavyweight title to current champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. A subsequent setback against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102 prompted a move to the 205-pound class.

He remains one of only two men to hold titles in two different weight classes (He won light heavyweight gold three times with wins over Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort and heavyweight gold against Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga).

A part-time actor in addition to his pugilistic responsibilities, Couture's new movie, "The Expendables," is set to premiere on Aug. 12, a little more than two weeks before UFC 118.

UFC 118 is the first major MMA event to arrive in Massachusetts. This past November, the state's governor, Deval Patrick, signed into law a bill that calls for the Massachusetts State Boxing Commission to become the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and oversee MMA events.

TD Garden, an indoor venue that is home to the NBA's Boston Celtics and NHL's Boston Bruins, has a maximum capacity of more than 19,000.
This will not end good for Tony. That are Randy will catch a flash, but I doubt it.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see Randy coming back. One of my favorite fighters. IMO, he will come out victorious!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to see Randy coming back. One of my favorite fighters. IMO, he will come out victorious!
If James tries to come in with a strictly boxing strategy and doesn't do something about clinch situations or TDD's, Randy's going to win by anal-rape.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dude this will be a 2 min fight. Randy comes in fakes up top and double takedown. Toney's fat a$$ will never be able to stuff it, he has no experience and no desire to learn at such a ripe age. Then Randy will easily pass through doughboy's butter guard and it will either be a ref stoppage from GNP or a quick arm triangle or something. i watched one interview with randy where he couldnt stop smiling at the idea of fighting toney. james is simply too much of an idiot to put together a solid mma training camp and prepare for takedowns.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude this will be a 2 min fight. Randy comes in fakes up top and double takedown. Toney's fat a$$ will never be able to stuff it, he has no experience and no desire to learn at such a ripe age. Then Randy will easily pass through doughboy's butter guard and it will either be a ref stoppage from GNP or a quick arm triangle or something. i watched one interview with randy where he couldnt stop smiling at the idea of fighting toney. james is simply too much of an idiot to put together a solid mma training camp and prepare for takedowns.
I don't know, that butterguard is high level fatjitsu.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else sees this match as a straight up "UFC is way better than boxing" statement match?

Cause I sure as heck do... It seems like this match would strictly be put just to try to prove something and to say that UFC is much harder and more competitive than professional boxing.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anyone else sees this match as a straight up "UFC is way better than boxing" statement match?

Cause I sure as heck do... It seems like this match would strictly be put just to try to prove something and to say that UFC is much harder and more competitive than professional boxing.

it shouldnt be, they are 2 different froms of fight.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Couture by Asphyxiation (Dong down throat)...

00:11 into Round 1

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm going to say no, only because James Toney is generally perceived to be "over-the-hill" in boxing terms. Couture may be in that same category as being past his prime, but not to the same degree as James.

It'd be one thing if it were Manny or Mayweather vs. whoever. A "prime" boxer vs MMA'ist may seem like a boxing vs MMA thing, but James is too washed up to be perceived as a representative of boxing. Boxers get chewed up & spit out faster & harsher then teen actors, once you're done, YOU'RE DONE and the boxing world could care less. The decline from prime to past is a much steeper drop in boxing in comparison to MMA.

Therefore, James Toney doesn't represent a "boxer" (imo) as much as he represents any other fighter who only stands. Especially considering how popular Rampage, Rashad, Lidell and a whole list of fighters who pretty much don't fight "MMA" style, but only strike with a anticipatory TDD stance or full on boxing stance. Hell, BJ wins 95% of his fights through his jab and no need to bring up the likes of Kimbo.

Short answer, not really.