Anyone ever had a bennetts fracture?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
So after my mma fight I had severe pain and swelling in my thumb. If I tried to move it, a bone would pop.....I went to the ER and they told me I had a bennetts fracture. I got this half cast/splint thing that basically imobalizes my thumb. Anyone else have this happen? What did you have done for treatment?
Below is my fight link if anyone wants to watch it.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlkJE7q1e8I"]YouTube- Ohio Cage Combat 7 Reality Check: Josh Squires VS Joe Sankowski[/nomedia]

Bagged01

Awards
  • Established
i got that before, i got hurt at work it was the same thing, couldnt use it for about a month, it was so bad that a week after i still couldnt even push the controller to change channels, so i got some ibprofen 800 and iced it. It eventually got better but its not the same, when it gets cold it hurts and makes a crackin sound, and when i train whether its hitting the batting cages, lifting weights or training it hurts like hell. But the doctor said it would ever be the same so i go and get a cortisone shot when i really need it.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
i got that before, i got hurt at work it was the same thing, couldnt use it for about a month, it was so bad that a week after i still couldnt even push the controller to change channels, so i got some ibprofen 800 and iced it. It eventually got better but its not the same, when it gets cold it hurts and makes a crackin sound, and when i train whether its hitting the batting cages, lifting weights or training it hurts like hell. But the doctor said it would ever be the same so i go and get a cortisone shot when i really need it.
damn that's some ****.....oh well...hopefully mine is healed in time to fight in July.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Some info for you man. You probably looked this up already but anyway;

"Though these fractures commonly appear quite subtle or even inconsequential on radiographs, they can result in severe long-term dysfunction of the hand if left untreated. In his original description of this type of fracture in 1882, Bennett stressed the need for early diagnosis and treatment in order to prevent loss of function of the thumb CMC joint, which is critical to the overall function of the hand.[2]
In the most minor cases of Bennett's fracture, there may be only small avulsion fractures, relatively little joint instability, and minimal subluxation of the CMC joint (less than 1 mm). In such cases, closed reduction followed by immobilization in a thumb spica cast and serial radiography may be all that is required for effective treatment.[4]
For Bennett's fractures where there is between 1 mm and 3 mm of displacement at the trapeziometacarpal joint, closed reduction and percutaneous pin fixation (CRPP) with Kirschner wires is often sufficient to ensure a satisfactory functional outcome. The wires are not employed to connect the two fracture fragments together, but rather to secure the first or second metacarpal to the trapezium.
For Bennett's fractures where there is more than 3 mm of displacement at the trapeziometacarpal joint, open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) is typically recommended.
Regardless of which approach is employed (nonsurgical, CRPP, or ORIF), immobilization in a cast or thumb spica splint is required for four to six weeks."

RedneckDB

Awards
the one that won...lol...I def wouldn't post a video of me getting the **** kicked out of me...hahahahaha
I was thinking that but thought I had better check. Well done - you kicked that other guys ass !

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
thanks...I've noticed more movement and use; but still tons of pain....I hope it's healing right

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Take high dose usplabs cissus. It'll help heal it.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I'm getting more xrays done next week and probably talking to an Ortho about it soon. It takes a great amount of effort to just touch my thumb to my middle finger, I can't touch my thumb to my ring or pinky at all.....Also have to concentrate hard to pick up a can of pop, and can't do it w/o pain. So I'm going to try and see whats going on.