UFC 112 Abu Dhabi

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

This is a translation made by a Portuguese MMA fan of the exchange in the post fight press conference with Anderson Silva.

In the first question he asked the reporter what was his opinion, just like Ed Soares translated. Then he said:

"Unfortunately Iīm not here to please everyone. Iīm here to do my job and my job was well done. I came here respecting everybody. I fight respecting everbody and Demian was disrespectful to me, not as professional, but as an martial arts athlete and I take this very seriously. Very very serious. I did not came here for nothing. He came here to do his job and I came to do mine and I did what I trained to do: hit Demian.

Then he was asked what did he do to disrespect him:

"Look, weīre here to promote the event, our event, the best event in the world, no doubt about it. We have the best fighters in the world, but everything should be done carefully, especially brazilian against brazilian, because where we came (and I donīt know which school he went), I came from a school where I learned to respect all my opponents, and I didnīt disrespect anyone here, as I said before. And everytime an opponent came to fight me and disrespect my morals as a black belt martial artist, this is gonna happen. Unfortunately some did like and some didnīt, but he paid for the stupid things that he said."

The third question about the crowd:

"I thinks fight are that way, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, sometimes people like the fight and sometimes donīt. When we have a fight with a guy like Demian, a very dangerous fighter on the ground, as well as other opponents that I had with that were jiu-jitsu fighters, I must be careful. After Minotauro, Demian has the most dangerous jiu-jitsu in the UFC. So I did what I planned and set the pace of the fight. Fight is a fight, at some moment he was better than me, and at some moment I was better than him. I was able to execute my strategy and this was the result."

4th question: For those who donīt know, What did Demian said...:

"It starts with some little things. I never disrespect any opponent of mine. My first fight here was against Chris Leben and I was never disrespectful with any of my opponents. I always respected them when I started training martial arts. It started when he told that "spider has four legs and one I will take" or "if the fights hits the ground iīll submit him". Iīve been training for many years, some people say "well, he can say whatever he wants bla bla bla" but I didnīt and donīt like this.

5th question about the booing and about apologies:

"Everybody came here to see good fights. Some were good and some were bad. I donīt think I have to apologize. I did my job and it was well done. I came to do what I was training and I trained what I did and won the fight."

6th about punish him and finishing him:

"My goal wasnīt to hurt anybody. Iīm not here to hurt Demian or any other fighter. My goal is to step in the octagon and do a good job: fight and make my opponent feel vulnerable. This is what I do and what Iīll keep doing. Some fights we get a knock out and other it donīt happen. I just did what I had to do.

7th about circling around in the end:

"I did what I had to do. Iīm not here to apologize to anything. My job was done. My mission was accomplished

8th ...something to say for the fans:

"I thank everyone of them. They are critics and they can say what they want. Iīll keep training and trying to improve myself. Thereīs nothing much to say... they got used to some things that we canīt do all the, time like a knock out. It seems that the fight is easy from the outside but itīs not. Everything can go wrong with a mistake. Iīm sure my job was well done.

9th ...feeling challenged at 185:

"There are many good opponents at that weight class. Demian is a jiu-jitsu athlete, not a striker. He cane to take the fight to the ground. My strategy was to keep standing up and his was to take to the ground. During the fight he realized that he had to strike with me. I kept my game plan: hit him and get out until the fight ends so I remain champion."

There you go. Hopefully you all can understand.
    NSCA - CSCS

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  157 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    This is a translation made by a Portuguese MMA fan of the exchange in the post fight press conference with Anderson Silva.
    That actually makes sense from a fighter PoV. He's there to win. I knew he was keeping his distance because Maia is dangerous on the ground.

I think (justm y guess) that he was referring to a free spike fight night, not fight for free. That is not something that can be forced
    Ah my mistake. Sorry.
  3. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Also, a judge scored the fight 45/50 Edgar? I don't think so, Edgar put up a solid resistance, but I think BJ's own reputation as such a dominant fighter in his division cost him this fight, because Edgar looked good and looking good against anticipated domination gets you biased judging, imo. Edgar did more work and looked like the aggressor, but I don't think the judges gave enough credence to BJ's successful counter punching and successful jabbing. However, what's done is done and that's what happens when fights go to the judges.
    Agreed. Don't see how that judge gave a 45/50 but I am not surprised given the track record of judging in MMA.

Maybe it is time to change the structure of payouts. Reduce the base fight purse and add on a finish bonus in addition to the KO, sub, and FotN bonuses for more incentive. Dunno if it is just me but it seems like more of the top fighters are getting apprehensive about engaging. Neither Hughes nor Gracie excel at striking so why are they putting on an amateur boxing match for the fans? Yes, that was their 'supposed' best strategy for winning but ultimately the fans pay the bills and lackluster fights don't draw fans in the long run.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Answers

that was a stupid score.

Also, He didnt want to finish Cote because he trains to last jsut a couple minutes. He has said tht before that he is excited to be going 3-4 rounds. He wanted to have a really good fight and war but he looked to calm and cote got hurt.

As a promoter it is Dana and the UFC's job to give fights to fighters that are good fights. I wouldnt say feeding him guys. He has fed two guys who didnt deserve shots. Maia and TL didnt. thats feeding. Hendo atleast gave him trouble and im sure Nate would throw bombs and go for it. You need to match guys up to make a good fight. Maia had a 1 fight win streak going in lol. Chael should have never fought Nate. Now everyone is 1-1 against eachother when it comes to contenders. the 185 pound division is just a mess and it starts with the champion Anderson Silva. Vitor Belfot needs to dethrone him.

He doesnt have bad blood with Wandy anymore I guess and wandy doesnt care about titles anymore. We need Hendo back in UFC at 185.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Some more on Silva's antics.

The MMA community is still reeling from the bizarre behavior of Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 112. Word came out after the the fight from Demian Maia stating that he was disrespected and cursed at. Maia opted not to expand on this, but a new article on the Fighters Only Magazine Website sheds light on this.

Fans of Silva's native Brazil heard what Silva was speaking during the fight last night in Portuguese. Silva used terms against Maia that were very hateful and disrespectful that have made Silva infamous now in his home country.

MMA message forums in the Portuguese language have been talking about Silva's insults against Maia during the fight. Toward the end of the second round, Silva allegedly stated in Portuguese, "Bate na minha cara playboy." This is apparently translated into English as "Come on, hit me in the face playboy."

"Playboy" is actually is a tremendous insult in Brazil because of the class divisions in the country between rich and poor. In Brazil, playboys are hedonistic rich people that are pampered and care nothing for poor people and know nothing about actual life.

Silva also is said to have stated "Cade o Jiu-Jitsu?" or in English, "Where is your Jiu-Jitsu?"

When Maia could not get Silva to the floor, Silva is said to have shouted "Get up off your ass and get hit some more."

The tone of Brazilian MMA forums right now is that many fans are shocked and disappointed by Anderson with his performance and comments.

A poster that goes by the handle of Gomes on the Portal do Vale Tudo stated the following:

"Wow, the guy went mad. American are usually super socially-conscious with this kind of discrimination, when they discover what he said, heads will fly. This guy has lost all notion of what you can do in a fight. This type of social/personal insult is the equivalent of ‘Iron' Mike Tyson saying 'I'll f*ck until you love me, bitch!'"
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Reflecting even more on this, I think what bothers me most as a fan is the probability of being denied a GSP/Silva fight, at whichever weight class it would take place. At the post-fight news conference, Dana White said, "He [Anderson] doesn't deserve to fight GSP." And based on his performances at 90, 97 and now 112, I think White is weary of giving Anderson Silva main card status, and unfortunately for us, I simply don't feel he would risk a fight of that magnitude on Anderson Silva. So, not only did he embarrass the sport, but the jackass robbed us of probably the biggest MMA megafight to date.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...1212&zoneid=13
    No. Dana was just mad after the Anderson/Maia fight. He said he might put him on the prelims. He is just talking out of anger. Dana has said many times that he doesn't want GSP/Anderson to happen because they are both huge stars and he doesn't want to ruin GSP. He insinuates over and over that GSP would not stand much of a chance against Anderson. I don't understand ppl that are so nationalistic like you. You love GSP bc he is from your country, just doesn't make sense to me. I don't care where anyone is from. I'm basing that comment off of your ridiculous GSP nuthuggery in many threads where you willingly admit you love him bc he's canadian.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Answers

Anderson wouldnt let gsp take him down. if he did he would get up so fast. if he didnt get up his BJJ would be fine and GSP couldnt finish esp GnP anderson. Silva would out strike him big time. i think if GSP was 4 inches taller and many pounds bigger with the same skill and speed its a different story. it doesnt matter tho he DOMINATES 170's. anderson is more of a 205 than a middle weight IMO. he looked very skinny lastnight. GSP might cuz a good amonut of weight to make 170 but he bulked up to get that big hes not naturally that big. it would be an uneven fight IMO. unless anderson did this stupid **** GSP would find a way to win.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    No. Dana was just mad after the Anderson/Maia fight. He said he might put him on the prelims. He is just talking out of anger. Dana has said many times that he doesn't want GSP/Anderson to happen because they are both huge stars and he doesn't want to ruin GSP. He insinuates over and over that GSP would not stand much of a chance against Anderson. I don't understand ppl that are so nationalistic like you. You love GSP bc he is from your country, just doesn't make sense to me. I don't care where anyone is from. I'm basing that comment off of your ridiculous GSP nuthuggery in many threads where you willingly admit you love him bc he's canadian.
    Ah, is this the part where you come off like a complete prick after not posting for some time, at which point we go back and forth with some playful banter? Well, the issue is just that: you come off like a condescending prick, and I take issue with it. In reality, you know absolutely ****ing nothing about me, nor did you ever, and your attempt to be "that" guy makes you come off like an immature jerk-off.

Now, ****wad, while this fact has escaped you, I thoroughly enjoy GSP because of his demeanor in and out of the ring, his humility, but most importantly, his skills as a fighter. You know, similar to the way you insist on sucking Fedor's **** at every possible moment? So, does that make you a Russian ex-pat? No, it makes you a rabid and loyal MMA fan for a particular fighter, which many of us are. If GSP suddenly became an arrogant prick and lost his skills, Canadian or not, I would no longer be a fan of him - or at least not such a fervent one.

However, because you are an arrogant American and quite obviously a retard, you assume that somebody from a "backwater" country like Canada could not possibly cheer for a countrymen for any other reason than precisely that. I cheer for GSP because he is an adept fighter; I think he is better than A. Silva because he has fought better competition and has more complete skill set.

And no, Dana claimed he had no interest in GSP/Anderson at 185, but expressed a considerable amount of interest in GSP/Anderson at 170. In fact, he just expressed that interest this week, and was quite willing to make the fight happen. So when he throws the MW belt at Ed Soares and berates A. Silva for an entire post-fight press conference, then looks dejected at the question, I will take him at his word.

While it has obviously never occurred to you to think prior to opening your mouth, you should give it a shot.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Dana's comments about Anderson/GSP is based on weight. At 185lbs he has no interest, and he has specifically said it was based on how "good" Anderson was at 205. However, it becomes a more compelling fight at 170, as the concern truly becomes, does Anderson lose anything in that type of cut.

In terms of GSP "likability" he comes off as a respectful guy. After the Serra I fight, that altered a bit, but since that point he has done nothing to dissuade the fans. I am no huge GSP fan, but I do respect him. At the end of the day, I am from Long Island, and as a result really root for Matt Serra. However, when he sounds like a dbag, I acknowledge it.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

What's really, really sad about the whole thing is that Andy still has a "get ****ed" attitude towards the fans. I absolutely cannot stand the guy and he hasn't finished a title bout since 10/07 in the weakest division in MMA (Leites and Cote are not top-10 MWs, either). To hell with Anderson Silva, already. Make his ass retire or actually fight.

Also, did anyone else notice how Anderson's gloves weren't wrapped?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Yeeesh, it got testy in here.

I agree with Rodja and Ironfist. The Penn decision was shenanigans. I don't know if I was quite as outraged as the Shogun/Machida, but shenanigans nonetheless.

Anderson Silva should have just finished the fight, rather then emulate a Roy Jones, Jr. youtube highlight vid. The similarities are kind of laughable.

Fun starts around 0:40 mark.

NSCA - CSCS
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Roy Jones Jr was amazing beyond words in his prime.

And with 40 KO's in 54 wins, he finished fights (or at least beat opponents senseless till the end).
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wontstop985 View Post

And with 40 KO's in 54 wins, he finished fights (or at least beat opponents senseless till the end).
    They actually have about the same rate of finishing fights.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wontstop985 View Post

I liked Roy Jones in his prime and I even liked his show boating. The difference is Andy put all of Roy's moves over a career into a single clown show, so it became an awkward display of excess.

I didn't watch it, but I heard the recent Hopkins/Jones match went horrible and Hopkins schooled him, oh well...

Here is the judges 45/50 explanation. He sounds completely bat$hit and who after reading this, can deem him mentally capable of judging a fight?

So....Just returned from Abu Dhabi, and I haven't been in my duplex more than 20 minutes, when the Doorman calls me on the intercom in a state of panic.... Seems there are hundreds of moaning, howling ghouls in "RVCA" and "Prodigy/Hilo Boy" T-shirts surrounding the building like extras from "Zombieland"... And they're chanting "50/45!" over and over, and trying to push their way into the lobby..... Thank God the Father and Sonny Jesus none of them have the elevator key to my penthouse.....So I think I'm safe for awhile... Which gives me a little time to talk to you, my dear friends.

So I'm wondering.....Should I tell you how I scored Penn/Edgar, and why, right now, up front? But that seems kinda like the Pope or the King back in the day, just writing down what he wants to say, and having one of his burly churls nail it to the door of the church for everyone to read...It seems a bit...distant, a bit 'above it all', don'tcha think? Because God knows I have plenty to say and no shortage of burly churls; no dearth of hulking familiars to do my bidding have I....

Perhaps just announcing my presence is enough for now. Perhaps simply allowing some of you, my faithful friends and fellow MMA devotees, to say what YOU want to say is more....Democratic; more... Enlightened... A behaviour more consistent with a Progressive such as myself

After all, isn't that my job? Isn't it incumbent upon me, as a Judge, to make myself available for your criticism? If I take the plane ride, and get to the venue, and score the fights, I have a kind of....Contract with the fans; a contract that specifically allows you to criticize me. And I will be glad to defend the terms of that agreement, even if it means I have to take the weight sometimes... I knew this was coming as I scored the fight. I knew the inescapable inevitability of criticism was waiting back here. I saw the ride; and I bought a ticket

So allow me to cast up my accounts with you as equitably as possible, won't you? Interestingly, I've been slightly taken aback by the response my score for the Penn/Edgar fight has engendered...but not in the way (some of) you guys have responded....I kind of expected that. What's been surprising is how many people, at the event, in the hotel, at the airport, fighters, production staff, etc., have told me how glad they were that I scored the FIGHT, and not the FIGHTERS.

Are you guys with me on that, even just a little? Can you understand what I mean by that? May I also mention that I forgive you? For your anger, your insults, and your crassness? NOT all of you....You know who you are. Yes; YOU: Over there, with the purple Nikes on, waiting for the spaceship in the tail of comet to come take you to a world where everyone agrees with you....and YOU over there...the one who thinks his heroes never lose.... So yes, I forgive you. I started this thread knowing that a percentage of you would behave the way you have. I knew you would when I scored the fight as well. I forgave you then. And even as I forgave you, I prepared myself to defend your right to criticize me, and make myself available for that criticism. Isn't that something I kind of...started out by saying?

All of that being said..... I've mentioned numerous times on other threads that the scoring criteria exist for a reason, just like the 10-point "must" system exists for a reason; and that the scoring criteria are guidelines within which Judges arrive at a decision on a round-by-round basis. It is a Judge's obligation to interpret the fight and use the criteria as guidelines. But a fight is an observed event that does require interpretation, observation, wisdom. And, in my considered opinion, Edgar dictated the tone of the fight, successfully implemented and executed a strategy, landed better strikes, and basically outworked Penn.

And that is an interpretation by a ringside observer with an understanding and appreciation of MMA, who has Judged numerous (hundreds) of fights. I re-watched the fight in my hotel in Abu Dhabi and saw nothing that would influence me to score it any differently. I support and encourage your right to criticize my scoring. And I forgive you for your attacks of both a professional, and, regrettably, personal nature.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/12...y-explains-why
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

you are an arrogant American and quite obviously a retard
    Everytime I speak to a Canadian, I hear the words "arrogant American". Literally, every time. Why turn this thread into some ethnocentric debate? What is it about Canada that makes you feel so vastly superior?

Rant over.

I won't buy another UFC until Lesnar v. Carwin.
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I hope that guy never judges another fight. That's worse than Cecil Peoples.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Ed Soars on fight

Personally, I think Ed Soars was full of $hit. He starts to defend Anderson's full-hearted desire to finish the fight but Anderson "couldn't find his distance."

NSCA - CSCS
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Ed Soares is such a tool. He's just as bad as Anderson.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    They actually have about the same rate of finishing fights.
    Difference is that RJJR didn't f- around and KO'ed tomato cans in the first round.

(In his prime of course--he should have retired after he won the heavyweight belt in '03).

I would have loved to have seen Jones fight Silva in a boxing match a few years ago, even years past his prime. F'ing Dana White...
  20. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Maia is not even close to a can.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

True, but the entire fight was on their feet, where Silva entirely outclasses him.

Likewise, Roy Jones KO'd a lot of top pros in the first round, I simply meant they were relatively weak compared to him.
  22. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bikeswimlive View Post
    Everytime I speak to a Canadian, I hear the words "arrogant American". Literally, every time. Why turn this thread into some ethnocentric debate? What is it about Canada that makes you feel so vastly superior?

Rant over.

I won't buy another UFC until Lesnar v. Carwin.
    Where in the sweet ****ing Damian Maia's JJ did I say anything that implied I thought Canada and/or Canadians were superior, or even bordered on ethnocentrism? I claimed I liked a fighter apart from us both being Canadian. You know, the opposite of being ethnocentric.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

However, because you are an arrogant American and quite obviously a retard
    If I read that wrong or read too much into that, I apologize.
  24. Registered User
    Answers

Ah, is this the part where you come off like a complete prick after not posting for some time, at which point we go back and forth with some playful banter? Well, the issue is just that: you come off like a condescending prick, and I take issue with it. In reality, you know absolutely ****ing nothing about me, nor did you ever, and your attempt to be "that" guy makes you come off like an immature jerk-off.

Now, ****wad, while this fact has escaped you, I thoroughly enjoy GSP because of his demeanor in and out of the ring, his humility, but most importantly, his skills as a fighter. You know, similar to the way you insist on sucking Fedor's **** at every possible moment? So, does that make you a Russian ex-pat? No, it makes you a rabid and loyal MMA fan for a particular fighter, which many of us are. If GSP suddenly became an arrogant prick and lost his skills, Canadian or not, I would no longer be a fan of him - or at least not such a fervent one.

However, because you are an arrogant American and quite obviously a retard, you assume that somebody from a "backwater" country like Canada could not possibly cheer for a countrymen for any other reason than precisely that. I cheer for GSP because he is an adept fighter; I think he is better than A. Silva because he has fought better competition and has more complete skill set.

And no, Dana claimed he had no interest in GSP/Anderson at 185, but expressed a considerable amount of interest in GSP/Anderson at 170. In fact, he just expressed that interest this week, and was quite willing to make the fight happen. So when he throws the MW belt at Ed Soares and berates A. Silva for an entire post-fight press conference, then looks dejected at the question, I will take him at his word.

While it has obviously never occurred to you to think prior to opening your mouth, you should give it a shot.

I think you might be a little bit upset. I recall you saying you are biased towards GSP bc he is Canadian. I'm just not into the whole nationalism thing. I'm sure you don't like him only bc he is Canadian. I just don't understand ppl that lean towards a fighter bc he is from their country.

Fu*k Dana regardless. He is wishy washy. I have heard him a few times insinuate that GSP didn't stand much of a chance against Anderson, but his opinion changes quickly....money money money.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Answers

I would love to see fans boo Anderson and when he loses cheer so loud! Too many fans at events are spread out on who they like its never that loud.

they need to have him fight 205
  26. Lift Heavy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.
    Answers

GSP v Anderson at 170 is stupid and makes no logical sense at all. Anderson is a big 185 and GSP is a big 170. Would be MUCH easier for GSP to fight at 185 than Anderson to fight at 170. For a guy who has to cut pretty hard to get to 185 to be asked to cut now to 170 just doesn't make sense at all.

Dana is a fking idiot.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bLacKjAck. View Post
    GSP v Anderson at 170 is stupid and makes no logical sense at all. Anderson is a big 185 and GSP is a big 170. Would be MUCH easier for GSP to fight at 185 than Anderson to fight at 170. For a guy who has to cut pretty hard to get to 185 to be asked to cut now to 170 just doesn't make sense at all.

Dana is a fking idiot.
    Why not fight at a catch weight?

If neither is going to permanently change weight classes then fighting for the belt would be somewhat meaningless since it would be vacated when they switch back to their normal weight classes (if AS won at 170 or GSP won at 185).
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Answers

catch weight 181. one wouldnt care cuz the title maybe? not that silva doest care already. dana will make them fight when the UFC is slipping or Anderson is on his last chance.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 10:14 AM