who rolls their shins

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Woke up this morning with a 6in by 4in bruise on my shin LOL anywhere been a while since i have done shin conditioning but my 3 yr old just started Muay Thai and I am trying to get back on the circuit and the subject of shin rolling came up. Ofcourse My Kru did it when he was young and when i first started in Muay Thai approx a decade ago I did it to Alot of the newer schools or the more commercial schools don't do this which is understandable. I find the fastes way to get shins into shape is to roll them and was wondering how many people on here do it and what is your favortie thing to roll them with?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
the teacher at my school, Kaensak, was talking about using the bottoms of glass bottles? his english is pretty bad though so i didnt understand exactly what he was talking about.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yeah you can use bottles. rolling pins pvc pipe any number of objects. i like a good big piece of pvc pipe

evolvefighter

Awards
when i first started training i used a rolling pin but our gym has a rock solid bag so ill just pump out hella kicks when trying to condition

KihonMMA

Awards
I am a brownbelt in kyokushin karate (bare knuckle) and my sensei told me to use a regular 45/50 pound weight bar and just roll it on your shins a few times, plus in my back yard i kick a tree thats about 2-3 inches thick in diameter for shin condidtioning....

khakiman

Awards
why do you need your shins to be conditioned? i mean how often are you going to be smashing them into a hard surface? the human body is nice and meaty so I would think it would provide some cushion.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
why do you need your shins to be conditioned? i mean how often are you going to be smashing them into a hard surface? the human body is nice and meaty so I would think it would provide some cushion.
its for Muay thai kickboxing, once your shins are conditioned and hardened you can kick very hard for hundreds of reps and there is less of an injury risk

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just in case they block it and you hit another shin, knee, elbow, etc. It's also why smart fighters condition their fists as well.